When I Was a Kid....

Ellafun

Just Visiting This Planet
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Posts
12,697
...we had to walk three miles uphill through four-foot high snow drifts to get to school. We didn't GET snow days...

Although I don't feel like I'm THAT old, I have lived through some major technological advances in my lifetime. I used to joke with my grandfather, who was born in 1896, that he watched the world go from horse-trodden dirt roads to a man on the moon during his lifetime. (Yet they still haven't invented a newspaper ink that won't come off all over your hands!) I have been thinking about how things were different when I was kid, compared to what my kid's lives are like. I would love to hear how things have changed for my Lit friends, too. Please chime in, and have fun!

el.
 
When I was a kid, we didn't have AIDS. (well, we did, but we had no idea what it was.)
 
WIWAK, we didn't have cell phones. We had ONE rotary phone, in the kitchen, with a receiver that weighed more than I did.
 
When I was a kid we had rotary phones and when someone called it made an actual "ringing" sound.

I posted this from my smart phone by the way. :rolleyes:
 
WIWAK I thought the Atari 2600 was the baddest system ever. Now my kids want a Playstation 3.
 
great thread, Ellafun :)

when i was a kid, you could stay outside and play all day long without anyone bothering you.
 
great thread, Ellafun :)

when i was a kid, you could stay outside and play all day long without anyone bothering you.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to hearing what people remember about their innocent *cough* youth!:D

WIWAK there were pay phones on every other corner, and you could make a collect call if you didn't have a dime.

(this recently came up in my house...in the song "You Wear It Well", there is a line that says, "I don't object if you call collect." I turned to my kids, ages 17 & 15, and asked them if they knew what a collect call was; they didn't!)
 
When I was a kid the parents didn't worry if you were gone playing the whole day without checking in.
 
WIWAK you had to be on the front porch when the street light came on or you where in big trouble.
 
WIWAK you played outside, you knew your neighbors and you had to actually WRITE letters.... now you just play video games, go in your house and barely talk to them and just pull up an email...
 
WIWAK seatbelts were still considered option, there were no home computers (until high school anyways) and pagers were the big thing
 
WIWAK, the whole family gathered around the one and only black and white television in the house on Sunday evenings to watch "The Wonderful World of Disney." And Disney didn't own the rest of world.
 
WIWAK we tore up the sidewalks with our Hot Wheels...the ones you actually rode...and no I did NOT have a pink one...I had the one with flames down the side and my parents had to buy me a new one every few months because I TORE THAT THING UP...:cool:
 
WIWAK every adult on the street was aloud to swat me if I was behaving without fear of the polic being called for child abuse
 
WIWAK

We where considered rich , we had a tv with twelve presets AND a vcr...

Sol
(the vcr was taken up stairs at night incase the house was broken into omo ! )
 
When I was a kid I learned how to type on a Smith-Corona typewriter of all things. Man, you had to pound those keys hard.
 
WIWAK we tore up the sidewalks with our Hot Wheels...the ones you actually rode...and no I did NOT have a pink one...I had the one with flames down the side and my parents had to buy me a new one every few months because I TORE THAT THING UP...:cool:

with the brake on the side so you could do those awesome 180's

when i was a kid, children respected all adults.
 
When I was a kid I learned how to type on a Smith-Corona typewriter of all things. Man, you had to pound those keys hard.

Yes....and it was great if you could type on an electric typewriter:)
 
When I was a Kid you were actually disciplined in public without someone providing an opinion about how inappropriate it was
 
with the brake on the side so you could do those awesome 180's

when i was a kid, children respected all adults.

Yes, the neighborhood in Germany that we lived in had this steep hill....I would rev it up going faster and faster...busy road at the end of the street....cars would slam on their brakes, the driver filled with horror as I took it right to the edge and turned at the last second...lol

I was a bad ass in my own mind.:D
 
when i was a kid, the game, freeze tag was epic.

WIWAK we played proper street games : Rounders ( a version of cricket or baceball ) , squares ( two people with a football/socar ball stood on the opposite sides of the road trying to hit the gap between the street and road ) , bulldog...

Sol
 
WIWAK you had to carefully sneak your friend's dad's playboys out, with one kid keeping a lookout, in order to see anything resembling a naked woman. Now, not only can you find hard core explicit sex on the internet, but you can look at nearly naked women in most magazines.

I'm glad we've progressed. :D
 
Back
Top