Pearl Harbor: Reporter's Eye-Witness Account Finally Published

3113

Hello Summer!
Joined
Nov 1, 2005
Posts
13,823
That's finally published 71 years later--and said reporter, Betty MacIntosh, is 94 and still sharp. Here's a sample:
I reported for work immediately on Sunday morning when the first news — Oahu is being attacked — crackled over the radio, sandwiched in a church program.

Like the rest of Hawaii, I refused to believe it. All along the sunny road to town were people just coming out of church, dogs lazy in the driveways, mynas in noisy convention.

Then, from the neighborhood called Punchbowl, I saw a formation of black planes diving straight into the ocean off Pearl Harbor. The blue sky was punctured with anti-aircraft smoke puffs. Suddenly, there was a sharp whistling sound, almost over my shoulder, and below, down on School Street. I saw a rooftop fly into the air like a pasteboard movie set.

For the first time, I felt that numb terror that all of London has known for months. It is the terror of not being able to do anything but fall on your stomach and hope the bomb won’t land on you. It’s the helplessness and terror of sudden visions of a ripping sensation in your back, shrapnel coursing through your chest, total blackness, maybe death.
Full report here.

Well worth reading for both the writing and the history.
 
There will shortly be a time when none of this sort of report turns up; all the witnesses will have passed on.
After that, it's a question of Granddad's letters or whatever.

Interesting read, though !
 
Back
Top