Which gun do I use?

I did not mention it earlier, but I hope you were doted on by your man when he returned. For at least five minutes atleast!
If not, I owe you a fist bump & mint julep for how you handled things.

Thank you, Porkwarrior. I appreciate that.

My husband won't be too surprised, though. (He's still out of town.) I was raised in a poor home in the swamp, so "making do" was everyday life. Not to mention, growing up in the backwoods we had a saying.

"Dis our home, and we don't like nobody focking wid us."

REⱭЯUM

tumblr_n7chosw3Ei1qknhfso1_500.jpg

:D

For those who aren't aware, Florida has a very high water table since most of the state is only 1 foot above sea level and it's highest point is about 350 feet above sea level (in the panhandle)). In most cases, you hit water if you go down one foot, let alone four feet. This is the reason that a plastic bag would be essential (so it doesn't contaminate the aquifer).

Also, Florida is mostly sand which is another reason why a bag would be preferred to just burying the remains.

(While I have a fair amount of knowledge about guns, I have never shot an animal so I didn't open my yap before this.)

Edit: Also, just to gripe about my own pet peeves, When Lou and Sue Yankee come down to Florida, they sometimes buy little Bobby and Suzie a pet kitty or puppy if they stay for anything longer than a month, then because they can't stay for whatever reason, instead of putting the animal into a shelter where it might be put to sleep (Heavens no!), they release it in a very "Born Free" moment. It will live like it was meant to, in the wild!
Cue tear filled crescendo.

Only that isn't the end of the story. Florida is a subtropical habitat which is unsuitable for cats and dogs. Those animals are not suited to the parasites and microbes that inhabit the region and left in the open for an extended amount of time (2-3 months), will start becoming mad from the worms squirming around in their brains. They can then infect other local animals that are normally resistant.

and then you hear about a sickly raccoon...
That's worthy of tears.

**Dogs and cats can go outside in Florida only when they eat inside and get frequent monthly (quarterly?) shots.

Last edited:
In case anyone is at all curious.

Animal Control nabs Rabid Raccoon

That's why smart people don't go near them, why it's better to get help or if there isn't any help to deal with it on the spot. It's no mercy leaving that animal to die slowly that way.

Edit: Also, just to gripe about my own pet peeves, When Lou and Sue Yankee come down to Florida, they sometimes buy little Bobby and Suzie a pet kitty or puppy if they stay for anything longer than a month, then because they can't stay for whatever reason, instead of putting the animal into a shelter where it might be put to sleep (Heavens no!), they release it in a very "Born Free" moment. It will live like it was meant to, in the wild!
Cue tear filled crescendo.

I'll join in that pet peeve!

How can people be so god damn bloody stupid?
It is not kindliness, it is irresponsibility.

And should the critter survive, it is an invasive species, that will be a threat to the local flora and fauna.

Feral cats and dogs are a very real problem all over the world.

I've never had kangaroo. Venison and gator but not that. What is it most like?

Kangaroo is okay. It's not bad. A bit gamey. I can't really describe what it's like. It's not really like anything I've had before. It's very dear to purchase here as they (presumably) have to ship that over from Australia and for some damned reason, Australia is too fucking far away. :mad:

I remember some years ago when I was a wee lad, there was a restaurant (maybe Jack In The Box) that got in trouble for serving kangaroo burgers that they were trying to pass off as beef. How the hell was that any cheaper?!

By the way, I love this thread.

Raccoons are evil little bastards, rabid or not. They fool you by looking kind of cute and having cute babies. But they are evil, mean fuckers.

Florida has all kinds of shitty animals here. The other ones I hate are armadillos. Rabies suck. But how about leprosy!?? Who wants to be a leper, walking around tiny little leper arms, ready to fall off at any moment, from an encounter with what is possibly the stupidest animal on the earth. What amazes me is that people in the south eat that rubbish. Ugh. Feral people.

And talking about people releasing cats into the wild here in Florida, how about the pythons? They are killing off the gators, which I'm told is somehow a bad thing. Yes, circle of life and all that jazz.

My most hated (non bug) animal in Florida? Geese. Those motherfuckers came down from Canada and set up shop in my neighbourhood. They act like they own the place. Mean, evil creatures.

And garden gnomes!

They should be shot on sight, no hesitation, no questions asked!

Regarding guns:

My silenced .22's make less noise than an average air rifle. They are absolutely wonderful for pests, especially when discretion is a priority.

(Silencers are completely legal in Scandinavia, but you have to pass a few checks to get permits for firearms. Protecting the shooters hearing was a priority in recent legislation)

Regarding guns:

My silenced .22's make less noise than an average air rifle. They are absolutely wonderful for pests, especially when discretion is a priority.

(Silencers are completely legal in Scandinavia, but you have to pass a few checks to get permits for firearms. Protecting the shooters hearing was a priority in recent legislation)

Here, guns require no permit including for concealed carry, but you need a very pricey federal permit per silencer.

Wouldn't want a n'er do-well chucking one and hitting someone. Hammers, ball-bats and archery equipment are also unregulated.

Interesting thread...I can attest to the numerous raccoons in FL. Where I live, we have woods facing our house which has all manner of wildlife. We get the occasional coon, possum, or ground hog "doing the dance," walking around unafraid, and the local police take care of them.

We also let our cats out, but we bring them in every night. And we keep them up to date with their shots. They do occasionally get into a an altercation, but mostly they leave well enough alone, as does the wildlife.

Been to Oz, could not walk outside barefoot due to the roo poo in the yard. they were everywhere at the one place we stayed. :)

I've not seen raccoons in my vicinity. Too high and dry, probably. Resources say Calif coons are mostly in wetland and riparian (streamside) environments at low-to-medium elevations. I only need to deal with stupid deer, manic squirrels and elusive wild turkeys, with the occasional fox and skunk.

But there's a goat. Someone here in this mountainous evergreen forest keeps a goat tied up in their yard. And it cries. All day, all night. It sounds like a wailing man. My partner wants to shoot the noisy little fucker, put it our of its misery. Hey, we recently installed a firepit. Maybe we'll have a party next weekend, with roast goat...

I've read (not tasted) that armadillos are popular food around Tehuantepec (the narrow part of Mexico) and "swamp creatures' are part of Yucatan cuisine. Hey, eat'em if ya got'em...

I can't say I've eaten armadillo, wasn't really aware that anyone did by choice (there are a lot of things I'd spit and roast out of necessity that aren't on my grocery list weekly.)
In all honesty I've about stopped saying "I'll never..." since about half of the stuff on my "I'll never" list are now some of my favorite things. None of that makes green beans any less vile.

Here, guns require no permit including for concealed carry, but you need a very pricey federal permit per silencer.

Wouldn't want a n'er do-well chucking one and hitting someone. Hammers, ball-bats and archery equipment are also unregulated.

Guns require no permit? At all? Seriously?

Guns require no permit? At all? Seriously?
I don't need a permit to own mine. If I want to carry it means going to the courthouse and giving them $20 and a reason but the background check is pretty much the same one they do for purchase. If I'm not mistaken we can carry open here now too.

If you don't need a permit to buy a chain saw why in God's name do you need one for my little .22? Trust me I know which one can do more damage.
The number of things that can be deadly weapons is astounding and yet it's guns that people are constantly carrying on about permits for. I don't quite understand that really.

The number of things that can be deadly weapons is astounding and yet it's guns that people are constantly carrying on about permits for. I don't quite understand that really.

I have yet to see that someone manages to kill 69 people within 75 minutes with a chainsaw.

I have yet to see that someone manages to kill 69 people within 75 minutes with a chainsaw.
automobile wrecks can be that deadly, so can boating accidents to nearly that degree
besides, are we only concerned about a LOT of people? that makes it ok if I go out and kill just one?
In any case, I don't recall the Texas Shotgun Massacre being a hit in the theaters.

automobile wrecks can be that deadly, so can boating accidents to nearly that degree
besides, are we only concerned about a LOT of people? that makes it ok if I go out and kill just one?
In any case, I don't recall the Texas Shotgun Massacre being a hit in the theaters.

Only cars and boats are not made and perfected to be murderous weapons. And do you really ask is there a difference if you destroy one life or 20?

I am happy to live in a country where I can be relatively sure my neighbor will not have a psychotic attack and shoot me in the process. Yes, he can stab me, he can ran me over with his car, but that would take much more effort than pulling out the gun. And without the guns he at least has a few less available tools to take me down.
I am amazed you dont understand that.

But the main purpose of cars and boats is transportation. Sometimes, yes, there are accidents and people are injured or killed inadvertently by reckless use or carelessness. However, the reason we have these things is to get from point A to B, or to enjoy recreation time in the case of pleasure boating.

But the main purpose of guns, is well, killing things. I have to LOL when people try to compare guns to things like tools and vehicles.

It's okay that there is no movie about the Texas Shotgun Massacre...just watch the news, it's real life, they don't need to make the movie.:rolleyes:

Your "argument" could be rewritten this way:

Driving licenses are stupid because you can kill people with a chainsaw, too.

I hope you handle chainsaws better than logic.

But the main purpose of cars and boats is transportation. Sometimes, yes, there are accidents and people are injured or killed inadvertently by reckless use or carelessness. However, the reason we have these things is to get from point A to B, or to enjoy recreation time in the case of pleasure boating.

But the main purpose of guns, is well, killing things. I have to LOL when people try to compare guns to things like tools and vehicles.

It's okay that there is no movie about the Texas Shotgun Massacre...just watch the news, it's real life, they don't need to make the movie.:rolleyes:
What started as a sort of throwaway remark is turning into a debate and this isn't the place for it so I apologize for starting it.
I only want to say 2 things then I'm going to let it go because honestly what anyone else thinks has very little impact on me just like what I think has very little impact on what everyone else thinks. We all have our opinions and we are all entitled to them.

Firstly-- I'm not comparing a gun to a tool. A gun IS a tool. It is metal and plastic and utterly inert until someone picks it up. It has no will or volition of its own so vilifying an object is ridiculous. For myself it is a thing I use for recreation. Target shooting is something I enjoy doing. For other people hunting is a thing they actually do to fill their freezer (yes, I know people who do this.) Other people are collectors. If the fact that it can only do a thing that breaks the law makes it a thing that should not exist then no vehicle should be made that is capable of exceeding the speed limit since that capacity is only there to break the law.

Secondly-- I did not say or mean to suggest that licensing or background checks were a bad thing when a person purchases a gun. Just like when you get a license to drive a car those laws are there for a reason. My point was simply this, that when a human being is moved to commit violence against others it is not the IMPLEMENT he uses but the IMPULSE that drives him at fault. To put the blame on a single implement because it is the most often chosen or the most visibly effective one is to shift the blame onto the tool rather than the action.

I believe those two things fervently and wanted to state them. I am sorry for beginning a debate here though because this is not the place for this debate.

You're right, it's not the thread to debate on, and I shall respectfully remove myself from the discussion so as not to hijack the conversation further.

I can't say I've eaten armadillo, wasn't really aware that anyone did by choice (there are a lot of things I'd spit and roast out of necessity that aren't on my grocery list weekly.)
In all honesty I've about stopped saying "I'll never..." since about half of the stuff on my "I'll never" list are now some of my favorite things. None of that makes green beans any less vile.

If it potentially carries leprosy, I'm not eating it.

Back