Ghis (closed)

“I would never want to take Emily’s spot in his life. She deserves all of his love and so much more.” Kate said as her husband smiled at the thought of his grandfather finally relaxing and enjoying his life.
 
"Next to, not rather than," Kell reiterated with a chuckle. "Now quit talking and go to sleep. You're already bad enough in the mornings when you do get enough sleep." He stole a kiss and shifted before falling still.
 
"Don't you dare get snippy with me." Kate teased as she got situated and snuggled into her blankets, relaxing alongside Kell and getting the sleep that she so desperately needed.
 
As per her request, Kell woke Kate early. With a kiss to her forehead, he murmured, "Time to get up, love." He wasn't dressed yet and his fur was slightly messy, telling her he'd just woken himself.
 
Kate wanted to grumble but she kept quiet after her talk with her father the night before. Kell deserves to have someone that didn’t fuss or fight in the mornings. Instead, she turned and kissed him, rubbing at her eyes, before she turned to get dressed.
 
Kell stepped away to finish dressing before going to fetch breakfast for himself and Kate. It wasn't long before he returned with a tray and a few papers under one arm. He set to his work right away as he always had, reading and writing at his desk.
 
Kate set to work in getting her tapestries hung. If there was one thing she wanted to do that day, it was to make her mark on her new castle. It would be so much brighter with her gifts on the walls and the windows opened wide to let the fresh breeze in.
 
As the serving staff caught on to what she was up to around the castle, they gladly brought out ladders and helped her to hang the largest tapestries and, at Kell's request, they began hanging up the banners of the High Throne's holdings. Every county was represented by their ruling noble house's coat of arms, and a few close allies like Glasgow, Skye, Mull, and Inverness joined them. Kate was left to her own devices for much longer than intended, and by the time the staff began moving furniture into what would be the royal office and the Lord Protector's office, half the decorating was done.

In the late morning, Kate was finally whisked away to the council chambers, a separate, more protected and private than the great hall. Her council of lords was gathering to attend to formalities and contracts between the holds and the throne, and to familiarize Kate with the process of council meetings. She was an absolute monarch, but her lords commanded some say being her eyes and ears and hands beyond the city.

When Kate arrived, she was greeted by a room full of men and very few women. The youngest of them was a sixteen-year old man who'd taken over the city of Dumfries after his father had passed from sickness earlier in the year. The oldest was the ninety-year old lord of a small but highly respected town called Anaborough east of Edinburgh that was responsible for building most of the ships in the Scottish armada.

When Kate entered, everyone stood who was able, some older or injured lords staying seated. Warwick was waiting for her, and Kell had her arm looped through his own. Marianne would be along shortly, a bit preoccupied with her grandson.
 
As Kate got to her seat and she slipped her arm from Kell's, she looked around at everyone assembled for a moment. These were the men and women that would help define her life from that day forward. SHe knew that there would be stumbling blocks along the way, but she hoped that her rule would be nice and smooth.

"Thank you all for traveling here for my coronation." Kate said simply, looking towards Warwick to begin the council meeting.
 
Kate received many polite nods, some bowed heads and replies of 'favors' course, Your Majesty' and the like, before Warwick stood to gain attention.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am honored to welcome our new Queen of the High Throne of Scotland to her first council meeting, and a few of you as well. Your Majesty, we welcome two new lords and one lady, all inheritors. We have Countess Cheryl Courdan of Karth stepping in after her father Count Charles Courdan. There is Duke Eliwood Bryant the Fourth of Dumfries, our youngest council member after yourself, stepping in for the late Duke Eliwood Bryant the Third, may he rest well. And lastly we have Sir Orand Pallan, who will shortly be appointed Lord of Mantle. His father Duke Aidanh Pallan is I'll and in the process of retiring."
 
"I will make it very clear right now that even though I am taking over for a ruling family that was very well loved and respected, I will not work to undo everything that they achieved during their rule. I want to see Scotland strong and defended, able to survive far beyond our lifetimes and that of our children. To do that, I will take her best interests to heart and work hard." Kate said in a strong and clear voice before she took her seat and everyone else moved to do the same.
 
As everyone sat down, further introductions were made though no one expected Kate to remember everyone at this first meeting. But she did meet some key people. The women of her court were Countess Cheryl Courdan of Karth, Duchess Evelyn Torh of Stirling, Lady Mary Mitchell of Ayr, Lady Jordana de Sailles of Kirkwall, and Baroness Morgana Neagh of Midlothian. They were easily the most attentive and excited for an independent female ruler.

Already Kate would be able to pick out some men who seemed thoroughly unimpressed or even offended that she outranked them. Being much younger than them was one thing, but being a woman was another. And a few seemed edgy about Kell in particular. But for the most part, everyone was polite and repeated their names and titles as needed for Kate and Kell.
 
As the introductions began to wind down, Kate watched as Marianne slipped into the room, a sheepish grin on her face. She had never been late to a meeting before in her life but Lynndon had demanded her attention, playing until he was again exhausted and sleeping in his mother's arms. Only then, did she leave the little boy that she absolutely adored.
 
As Marianne entered, most of the men stood purely out of habit, although her stepping down to become a Grand Duchess meant they didn't have to anymore. She composed herself by the time eyes were on her, striding down the aisle to take her seat at Kate's table. "Sit down, gentlemen," she murmured, and everyone took their seats again.

"I believe all introductions have been made," Warwick spoke up. "Now, to our first order of proper business... Her Majesty will be reforming trade, agreements, and alliances in the coming weeks. Papers have been prepared for those who will need to change things, but for the most part, the court is simply transitioning from Lady Marianne to Her Majesty Katherine Aleister. We also ask that your local military leaders contact the Lord Protector for any needed changes or information."
 
Kate was very quiet as Warwick ran the meeting, telling the gathered lords and ladies how things would happen from there on out. She was nervous but as if he somehow knew, Kell’s soft black fur brushed against her, letting her know that he was still there.
 
Kell was constantly at her side, and as she grew more nervous, he secretly took her hand beneath the table. The tablecloth blocked any view and Kell maintained his stony visage, looking over the people they would work, bargain, and no doubt fight with on occasion down the road.

After collecting papers from everyone for Kate and handing others over to the nobility's attendants, Warwick gave the floor to Kell. He rose, letting go of Kate's hand for the moment. "Ladies and gentlemen," he spoke up, the first time he'd addressed any of them. "I would like to briefly broach a rather polarizing topic. I am aware there are doubts, misconceptions, and even fears surrounding myself and my new position. I am the first were to take any noble position in Scotland, and among the first to be knighted. I would like to make a few things very clear: I am not a beast, I am not here to incite any werefolk uprising, and I serve only the Queen. I am no longer affiliated with any previous organization in my past, and I no longer serve House Ghis though they are my family. My wife, Her Majesty, is my lone commander. I am here to protect her and this country, and help all of you protect your lands. As long as we are clear about these things, I hope to work with all of you to strengthen our borders. Thank you." He settled back at her side, leaving a few people surprised at the speech.
 
Kate was incredibly surprised when Kell stood and gave an impassioned speech to those gathered. She hadn't expected him to even address the issue, but it seemed that he wanted to set a precedence for the beginning of her rule. Hopefully it would never be an issue and they would be allowed to rule how they saw fit.
 
"Anything else?" Warwick asked around the room, but none of those in attendance had anything to say to the entire group. Some would surely want to speak to Kate afterward, though,.as Warwick had warned her would often happen. Council meetings were never just that. They were always followed by private or small-group meetings, dealings, and other such affairs as the full council only officially met once per season.
 
Kate quietly waited for any of them to object if they wished. It seemed that no one had any complaint for the moment. She stayed seated as the lords and ladies were dismissed, those that wanted to make an appeal directly to their new queen told by the guards and harolds that they would get their chance after the evening meal. She glanced towards Kell, wondering if he had instituted something new without her knowing.

"They won't appreciate being made to wait." She said softly. "I can see them now."
 
"They have always waited politely and patiently for Marianne," Warwick spoke up as it was just the four of them left. "Barring emergencies, they understand that after the council meeting, there are things we need to see to immediately. Normally, we'd have stacks of things to sign, but today... I believe Kell has his own agenda." Warwick bowed his head before heading out, Marianne taking his arm to go with him.

Kell turned toward Kate, standing at the end of the table. "Take a breath, love," he murmured softly.
 
Kate glanced towards Kell as he advised her to take a deep breath. She simply grinned at him and stood from her seat.

"It wasn't that bad, although I certainly wasn't prepared for you to make that kind of a speech." She said as they stared at each other for a moment. "You'll have made an enemy or two."
 
"An enemy over being born something different from them. I'm sure I won't lose sleep over petty race disputes." Kell offered her a small smile. "You seemed a bit nervous for a moment, there."
 
"Just a lot of thoughts all at once, Kell." Kate said softly as he offered her a soft smile to ease her stress. "You have to admit that it was a lot of lords and ladies that wield some sort of power in this situation."
 
"True. But they're still just people at the core of it all," Kell shrugged slightly. "Just like any of us."
 
Back
Top