women don't feel more attracted to intelligent men say British Journal of Psychology

I am trying to understand the domination thing, but I just don't get it.

I am admittedly not too smart.

Also admittedly not too experienced.

If a woman wants to dominate somebody, is she making up for feelings of powerlessness in her daily activities?

Is she uncomfortable being vulnerable?

Have a disdain for even partnership?

I am having a hard time understanding the mentality.

Thanks.

L.
 
Read the original report. That's not the study's conclusion nor is it what the data indicate. And the study is a small study in a very homogeneous population of college students.
 
Well, I’m only attracted to intelligent men, but by that I don’t mean Mensa level...there’s also such a thing as emotional intelligence...if you have both, that’s great.
 
Read the original report. That's not the study's conclusion nor is it what the data indicate. And the study is a small study in a very homogeneous population of college students.

It isn't even what those newspaper reports say! I'd say misrepresentation of science, but I'm not sure this was great science to begin with.
 
Read the original report. That's not the study's conclusion nor is it what the data indicate. And the study is a small study in a very homogeneous population of college students.

The OP pretty much never goes back to original reports or does any further investigation into the phenomenon comments on at all, but only ever relies on sensationalised and/or over-simplified media reports, which they post with clickbaity headlines and very little actual analysis. I really don't understand what the point is at all ... it's bizarre.
 
Read the original report. That's not the study's conclusion nor is it what the data indicate. And the study is a small study in a very homogeneous population of college students.

Between the shaky conclusions/reproducibility problems of the "soft sciences", and the clickbaity "did they even read the press release?" tendencies of the headlines on such things, I'm inclined to shrug off most such articles.

Though I'd imagine that, given that we're talking about relationships and attraction here, it's the *perception* of intelligence that's always more important than actual intellect.
 
If it gets from a scientific journal to the *daily fail* it must be true

Question: does a Daily Fail fake news story trump a trump fake news tweet
 
This certainly seems to be the case in my experience...

All kidding aside, it appears it wasn't just excessive intelligence here. Women also rated being too easy-going as unattractive.

I can see that - as being "too" intelligent might be viewed as that person thinking themselves superior to others - a trait not many find attractive.

In addition, being too easy-going is likely viewed as being "wishy-washy" - another undesirable characteristic.
 
1. Those people that were involved in the studies probably were thinking in terms of one-sided attractiveness. A tango takes 2 , remember ?
It's not how attractive an individual is that matters. It's how 2 people attract each other that matters. And there are may factors involved in mutual attraction.

2. They see those human characteristics static, labeled on a sticker and stuck . Think about the very familiar word “chemistry”, When 2 or more substances (people) combine and interact, their original qualities may change or even dissolve.
Or a person may behave differently under different circumstances.

3. ​​​​​​?????…...
 
Last edited:
Fun to see this thread come back again :) I enjoy big lists of links more these days than when I was a student 😅
 
I expect most of us are attracted to people on a similar intellectual level. While I appreciate a beautiful man, if he can't keep up with my mind, the attraction ends right there.
 

“Based on a study of over 4000 speed dates” the study found men “placed more emphasis on physical appearance”. Well that’s hardly surprising for a speed dating format. I don’t really see that this tells us something we didn’t already know: men are visual creatures, so in a short time frame we may not get much further than initial impressions.

He is much more likely to take a deeper interest and absorb and appreciate the things she is saying if he likes her physical appearance; or conversely, if she’s unattractive to the test subject, he really doesn’t have enough time in this format to get to know her beyond an initial negative impression. The study does do a reasonable job in proving how speed dating isn’t a particularly good way to find an ideal partner imo.
 
Back
Top