Best sentence you've ever heard?

"I'm going to 'pile-drive' you, is that ok?"
-some dude in some porn
 
"Pork Bellys, which is used to make bacon, which you might find in a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich."
 
You're bringing me down
You're playing your game
I'm tied to the tracks just a-waiting for the train

Black-n-blue
Miss Mystery
 
"Beneath this mask there is more then flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr Creedy. And... ideas are bulletproof."

-V for Vendetta
 
Women: You injured that poor woman.
Large man: Ya, she should sue you!
Crowd: Yeah!
Hancock: Okay, well you should sue McDonald's 'cause they fucked you up.
Woman: And I can smell that liquor in your breath!
Hancock: 'Cause I been drinkin', bitch!

-Hancock film
 
“Why do you read so much?"
"I have a realistic grasp of my own strengths and weaknesses. My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind… and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow.”
-A Game of Thrones

THAT WAS MORE THAN ONE SENTENCE BUT ALL OF TYRION'S SENTENCES ARE GOLD, OKAY
 
From "The thought Gang" by Tibor Fischer

The only advice I can offer, should you wake up vertiginously in a strange flat, with a thoroughly installed hangover, without any recollection of how you got there, with the police sledgehammering down the door to the accompaniment of excited dogs, while you are surrounded by bales of lavishly-produced magazines featuring children in adult acts, the only advice I can offer is to try to be good humoured and polite.
 
There couldn't be a 'best', for obvious reasons. But one I like recently is:

"We are together at last, though far apart."

John Ashbery.
 
The only advice I can offer, should you wake up vertiginously in a strange flat, with a thoroughly installed hangover, without any recollection of how you got there, with the police sledgehammering down the door to the accompaniment of excited dogs, while you are surrounded by bales of lavishly-produced magazines featuring children in adult acts, the only advice I can offer is to try to be good humoured and polite.

That's superb. Makes me want to hunt down the book immediately.
 
"Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry."

-Mark Twain
 
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Mark Twain
 
Last edited:
Not one sentence, I know, but each gains strength from the others, and it is one of my very favourite ends to a book. It is especially powerful in the whole context, since the rest of the novel conspicuously avoids rich description almost like Hemingway - form mirroring content. Anyway - from The Road, Cormac McCarthy:

"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."
 
Not one sentence, I know, but each gains strength from the others, and it is one of my very favourite ends to a book. It is especially powerful in the whole context, since the rest of the novel conspicuously avoids rich description almost like Hemingway - form mirroring content. Anyway - from The Road, Cormac McCarthy:

"Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery."

This is fine, when I said sentence it really meant "a quote or short text."
This quote is what this thread is about. It's beautiful in its imagery & motivation.
My next quote will not be like this one.
 
“You cannot blame porn. When I was young, I used to masturbate to Gilligan's Island.”

-Ron Jeremy
 
“I always give one favor free,” Said the smoking hot sexy woman.

“don't worry, I'll never ask another,” replied the young innocent doctor.

"Don't be too sure, of course you'll have to pay for another.” Countered the woman.

- From "Dr. Killdare's Victory" – a sexy female movie star that I've forgotten the name of, in a very sexy voice conversing with Dr K.

I had TCM on in the background one Saturday last year, when I heard the line I wrote it down and have been trying to slide it into a story ever since.
 
“I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot. ”
― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
 
Back
Top