Dear Mr. Covington - Open

ChaseMePleez

Literotica Guru
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Posts
529
Place: The Covington Estate, Boston, Mass.
Time: Midnight
Year: 1844

If someone were to look out from a passing carriage they would see a feminine form dressing all in white walking to the door of the Covington home. The lady in white placed a single letter on the door addressed to man of the house, Damon Covington. Four weeks earlier he had been jilted by his fiance, who had been having an affair with his best friend for nearly a year. It was society's most notorious scandal and the poor man was sullen at the betrayal. There was someone who felt compassion for him and worried over his welfare. She left this note for him:

Dear Mr. Covington,

I do not think it would be wise for my name to be linked to this letter. You and I have met only in passing. I was never one to stand out in a man's mind but you have in mine. You used to be so full of life and happiness. Your eyes are so sad now and it breaks my heart when you are such a kind man. Do not define yourself by someone else's weaknesses. I hate seeing what she's done to you. Anyone with eyes could see you have lost faith in love but it is real. I know it because I have been in love with you for a long time now. I did not know a man could show kindness until the day we met. It gave me hope...you gave me hope. That is why that look in your eyes kills me everytime I see it.Do not let her be the reason you let your heart go cold. Not when you have so much to give of yourself. You're a good man. Don't let this change that.

Your Sincere Friend, The Lady in White​


The paper held the faint scent of lilies to it that was her perfume but Amelia never thought that it might get his attention. She only wished to do something to help him. The youngest child of seven girls, she was used to being overlooked by everyone. She had met Damon when they were just teenagers and a bully had torn her dress. He had run the boy off and escorted home so no one else would bother her. He had actually spoken to her like a person and made her smile. He had earned a place in her heart that day and now she wished to heal his if she could.

"Amelia Louise Winchester! What were you doing out this time of night? Your parents would have kittens if they knew." The older maid had been Amelia's nurse maid when she was a baby and had stayed on all these years. She stood there with a shawl around her shoulders, obviously worried. "I'm sorry Bessie but I had to try. I left the letter at his door and made sure no one saw me." Bessie shrugged. "Couldn't do any harm, little miss. Even his servants worry about him."

Amelia ran up the stairs and dressed for bed before her parents could see that she was up and up to something. She brushed her long brown hair as she sat on her bed, her mind daydreaming about the man that had filled her dreams since she was thirteen years old. She never expected happily ever after for herself but she knew she wanted it for him.
 
Place: The Covington Estate, Boston, Mass.
Time: Shortly after midnight
Year: 1844

He hadn't slept. He never slept now. Always there was the accursed ache in his chest that over time was beginning to deaden his will to live. He was 27 years and in the prime of his life but one would never know it from these past four weeks. Twenty eight days, twenty nine if you counted the one now beginning: he had withdrawn and ate little, drinking enough to quench his thirst but nothing more.

Just moments ago as he paced the upstairs hallway of the estate willing his mind to think of something else, or someone else, he had heard the faintest scuffle outside. He didn't keep dogs or they would have barked so he softly padded his way down the carpeted floor and creaked open the large forbidding door which led into his home. He thought he could hear the creaking of carriage wheels and trot of hooves but it may have been his imagination. What was very real however was the letter, sweetly scented with lillies that lay upon his porch.

He stooped over and picked it up curiously. Taking it inside he secured the thick bath robe he had tightened around him. He made his way to the lounge and sat upon his favorite chair. One which rocked and was made of oaken wood, polished and varnished a deep brown. Then his sunken hollowed eyes began to read.

Dear Mr. Covington,

I do not think it would be wise for my name to be linked to this letter. You and I have met only in passing. I was never one to stand out in a man's mind but you have in mine. You used to be so full of life and happiness. Your eyes are so sad now and it breaks my heart when you are such a kind man. Do not define yourself by someone else's weaknesses. I hate seeing what she's done to you. Anyone with eyes could see you have lost faith in love but it is real. I know it because I have been in love with you for a long time now. I did not know a man could show kindness until the day we met. It gave me hope...you gave me hope. That is why that look in your eyes kills me everytime I see it. Do not let her be the reason you let your heart go cold. Not when you have so much to give of yourself. You're a good man. Don't let this change that.

Your Sincere Friend, The Lady in White


He folded the letter over and tapped it against his hand. Who could have left such a thing? He had not the faintest idea. The words stung a little but also opened his mind to something he had not previously considered. Someone else liked him. His world had been consumed by his fiancee Bernice for so long that he had not truly thought about another woman in quite some time. Now he did, not in that romantic way that such a letter would no doubt usually illicit from a single eligible man but with a one part hope one part intrigued way. Was there someone else out there and who was she?

He placed the letter by his chair and padded upstairs. That night he lay awake upon his bed not with visions of Bernice and thoughts of bitter betrayal but with wondering questions of the mysterious woman who had left this heart felt letter.
 
Last edited:
Place: Local park, Boston, Mass.
Time: 12:45 p.m.
Year: 1844

Amelia smiled and giggled as her husky/wolf mix dog named Styx jumped up at the ball in her hand. Bessie's husband Richard found the mix breed pup on the side of a dirt road when he was nothing more than a baby. Amelia fell in love with him and they had been constant companions ever since. The canine was also extremely protective of his best friend and ven slept in her bed at night, to her mother's chagrin. They were in the park today on an outing with her family. Her mother had a picnic set up a few feet away while she played with Styx.

Even now when she was enjoying the day, he was still in the back of her mind. It had been a few days since she made that midnight trip to his doorstep to leave that letter. It wasn't until later that night that she had noticed the she had lost one of her ribbons while there. The only person who could identify the ribbon was her mother so it didn't bother her too much. There were rumors going around about a woman in white having visited the Covington estate. People were making all kinds of speculations on who she might be.

Amelia only cared about whether or not the letter did any good for him. "Amelia! Come have something to eat!" She smiled. "I'm coming, Moma." She whistled for Styx to follow her back to the picnis sight. Today she wore a light pink dress cut in the current style with a small bonnet on her head. Amelia preferred to keep things simple to let your own attributes shine through instead. The happy pup followed her back to her mother's side. Caroline Winchester was being sweet talked by her father, David Wincester and giggling like a youth.

It made her smile that her parents were still as in love as when they married. She sat next to them and her mother handed her a small plate with some small sandwiches on them. Amelia took one and nibbled on the food like the lady her mother had raised. There were a number of other families doing the same thing as her own. You could hear the sound of children's laughter in the background. Her heart ached because it reminded her of her dreams of children with Damon, a life with Damon.

"Hey!" Amelia looked back and her father tweaked her nose, making her giggle. "Daddy!" The older man seldom paid her any attention which is why when he did it was so precious to her. "No sad faces today, pixie. Today is for fun." She smiled and raised her hand to take another bite of her sandwich when she heard someone yell. "That dog took my fan!"

The angry female face made Amelia look down and see that Styx was missing. Oh no! "I must hunt down my pup." Her father nodded and she takes off whistling for the pup. "Styx! Come here! Here boy!" The canine was so full of mischief that Amelia was often questioned as to why she hadn't named the pup Loki. In the distance, she heard a heavy body fall to the ground and her dog's happy yips. "Oh dear." She ran to area where some children were playing. Styx had some poor man pinned down on the ground and drowning him in licks.

"STYX! BAD BOY!" Amelia pulled the dog off the gentleman, not really seeing who it was. "You know better than to jump on people, Styx. Since when do you do it to strangers?" She sighed in frustration. "I am so sorry. This is actually highly unusual for him. He doesn't play with people he doesn't know." She looked back and her heart stopped beating in her chest when she saw those eyes that hand captured her soul so long ago.
 
Place: Local park, Boston, Mass.
Time: 12:45 p.m.
Year: 1844

Damon had been restless that morning, as indeed he had been for the entire previous two days. The letter had sparked something that he had felt long gone or buried. A desire to live life again. Who the writer of the letter was did not matter half so much as the result of reading said letter. He had been forced to realise there was more to life than the betrayal of fiancee and friend. Four weeks of solitude confined within the great walls of his estate had eaten away at his soul so that he was barely the man he remembered. His cheeks had begun sunken and shallow, he hadn't bathed or shaved. That all changed the morning after.

Now he was clean shaven, dressed in one of his finest suits, hair combed to the side, his skin having taken on a more wholesome color after coaxing himself back towards eating. Now he had a cane in his hand that he tap tap tapped upon the carpeted floor of the lounge area while sitting in his favorite chair.

"I'm going out." He announced at last to the stunned servants who promptly smiled and grinned, pleased by this turning of events.

For Damon this was no small matter. He was aware that currently the talk of the town was all about him. The chatter of idle house maids was that Damon would never be seen again. Then just yesterday that changed to asking whether Damon was seeing someone on the sly or if his estate had become haunted by all his grieving or who had left the letter and small ribbon on his door step. Damon knew this because despite being believed to be ignorant of the wider world he listened to his own servants chatter and they in turn brought word back from the markets and stores across the town.

So Damon going forth was a step of defiance against these whispering lies. He decided upon a brisk walk through the park, one of his old familiar places that no doubt would contain familiar faces. It was a sunny day and there would be picnics and various families but it would not be unbearable. It would not be a grand entrance back into society like a visit to the theater would entail. No, he would be able to keep himself to himself and think clearly about the subject matter of his life.

So he found himself shortly after mid day, walking along one of the winding pathways around the green. He didn't see the dog and he didn't see the bound that sent him tumbling to the floor. He cried out startled and only vaguely heard the kind words apologetically offered him.

"STYX! BAD BOY!" Amelia pulled the dog off the gentleman, not really seeing who it was. "You know better than to jump on people, Styx. Since when do you do it to strangers?" She sighed in frustration. "I am so sorry. This is actually highly unusual for him. He doesn't play with people he doesn't know." She looked back and her heart stopped beating in her chest when she saw those eyes that hand captured her soul so long ago.

Damon pushed himself to his feet and brushed himself down, offering a congenial smile that was warm and genuine. "No need to apologise. Dogs are dogs after all." He retrieved his hat and tipped it slightly, "And might I inquire to whom I am talking?"

He asked it quietly as if afraid to alarm her, suddenly aware of the small commotion gathering around them as his name was whispered softly from person to person in the surrounding grassy green. His face reddened, "Perhaps I should be going."
 
Place: Local park, Boston, Mass.
Time: 12:53 p.m.
Year: 1844


Amelia had never very good socially but had learned to hide skillfully. She could keep any would-be suitors at bay with a sharp tongue and dark glare but this man was her one weakness. She still remembered the day she had gone by his house and caught him with another girl, who was turned to be his future ex-fiance. Her poor heart had broken that day but she never stopped caring for him. She faded into the background and he never noticed her again but she could never forget him.

Part of her was glad to see him out and about in the sunshine. Maybe her letter had done some good for him. Styx barked. "Shhh!" She chastised the canine. Amelia cleared her throat, her nerves getting the better of her for the moment. "Nonetheless, I do offered my apologies if he harmed you in any way. He's a good dog, really." Her heart felt a slight sting that he didn't recognize her. It was reasonable since it had been so long ago. "Amelia Winchester. I know you do not recognize me but we knew each other as children."

The approaching crowd was starting to make her very nervous. Amelia never liked being the center of attention, often opting to hide in the nearest corner while the others congregated. She could see that it was making him uncomfortable so she stepped out of her own comfort zone. "Walk with me? I can show you a peaceful spot that is nice and quiet if you wish to be away from prying eyes for a while."

Amelia didn't expect him to agree but when he placed her hand on his arm, she felt her heart skip a beat. They walked in silence to the small pond that Amelia liked to come to to read when her parents forced her to accompany them to events at the park. There was a group of ducks waddle along the shoreline as they both sat on the bench nearby. It had been a long time since she had company here. Styx had always been her only confidante when she spent her quiet time here.

Her face was very flush and she was having a time trying to hide it. Despite his paleness and sickly look, he was still Damon and was beyond handsome to her. His presence did a number on her senses. Amelia finally looked him in the eye. "You look better." His wounded eyes didn't seem as hopeless anymore which gave her sweet relief. When she had heard the rumors that his parents feared he may take his own life, she was paralyzed from the fear.

"I am not surprised you do not remember me. I do not stand out in a man's mind. I was barely thirteen when we met. You played knight in shining armor by frightening a bully away from me." She smiled at the memory. "I was very grateful to you. You escorted me home like a gentleman and my mother gave you a ginger cookie for helping me." It had been the first and only time he had set foot in their home.

His presence was peeling down her defenses in layers. The scent of his cologne was haunting her and she knew it would stay with her. In the distance a female voice rang out. "Amelia!" It was her mother and she had to leave him. "That is my mother. I must go. It has been a pleasure to see you again, Mr. Covington."
 
Place: Local park, Boston, Mass.
Time: 1.10pm
Year: 1844

Damon was so thankful for this young lady. It was with some shame he realised that they had previously met and her gentle mannerisms left him grateful for the way she extricated them both from what was becoming an extremely embarrassing situation for him. He did remember the time they first met.

The bully had been far from behaving the way one ought to in the presence of a lady of any description. He was mean spirited and had a malicious sense of humor. He had been highly satisfied to chase the man way and escort this young woman home. Amelia. He smiled as her mother called. Amelia. He liked the name.

"Amelia, it has been a pleasure seeing you as well." He retained the smile, a genuine warm hearted look that he hoped she would take with her. Then as she was walking away but before her mother came into sight he called, "I will be here on the morrow."

And she was gone leaving him to mull over all the events that had just occurred. "You look better." He pondered upon that sentence which only now stuck out to him...yes he supposed he did look better but that meant Amelia had seen him at some time within the last four weeks. Perhaps as one of the onlookers peering into the grounds of his estate? But he couldn't bring himself to see her in such as ghastly light. Surely she was not one of those narcissistic individuals who received their kicks from the ailment of others? No, not this Amelia she seemed much to kind and loving for that.

He walked briskly way from the pond, drinking in the serene beauty of the sight, the healthy air and breathless breeze healing something in his soul. He felt the heaviness not disappear altogether but begin to subside. He looked around and realised that some eyes did still dart his way. He ignored them. Today was a new beginning. A time to finally set aside the past and build a new future.

An idea had struck him, one that might to others seem profoundly odd but he had a hunch. He rushed home and began a letter:

"To the lady without one ribbon."
He smiled at that.

"I thank you for your kind words, written to me on such a timely occassion. While my heart is still heavy you have indeed made a difference in this mans life. You have given me the hope that perhaps there is something else out there for me. Today I stepped outside of the four wall of my estate and mingled with the public again. It has done me well. I am also eating and sleeping better. It was your letter that began it all and if I ever should chance to meet you again should enjoy it greatly. I do not know if you will ever receive this for I am placing it outside my door in the hopes that something might cause you to return to the place that you visited a few days past. Thank you again.

Mr. D. Convington.


He didn't hand it to the servants who were curious as to what he was writing. Indeed they were all cautiously optimistic about his days walk about the new demeanor that he exhibited. But no, it would not do to give something so personal to a servant. He placed it outside the door himself and then hoped that perhaps she would visit that night and might be cheered by the results of her first such delivered writing.
 
Place: Local park, Boston, Mass.
Time: 1.13pm
Year: 1844

Amelia watched him from the blanket where her family were sitting. Her heart was still flutterring about inside her chest at those few moments with him. For that little bit of time he was within her reach. Her letter had done some good for him and he would recover from the betrayal that been bestowed upon him. Her mother had to catchher attention when she didn't answer a question. "I'm sorry?"

Her mother looked puzzled by her reaction. "I said I saw you with young Mr. Covington. Is the dear man doing better?" Amelia smiled brilliantly. "Yes, Moma. He's doing much better. I think we will be seeing Mr. Covington up and about alot more soon." The happiness in her voice gave her mother room to think about her daughter's feelings towards the young man.


Place: The Covington estate, Boston, Mass.
Time: 12.00am
Year: 1844


Amelia carefully carried the lantern with her as she walked to the door of the Covington estate. Her long brown hair was down tonight and she wore another flowing white dress. Around her neck is the antque gold locket left to her by her paternal grandmother. On it was engraved a heart that ended on a swirl, a symbol for eternal love. It had been a gift from her grandfather to her grandmother on their tenth anniversary. In her hand she held a new letter for Damon.

Dear Mr. Covington,

I was quite relieved when I made aware of your presence at the local park. Other than an unfortunate run in with a rather over-enthusiastic canine, it sounds like the outing was a good one. I do advise not keeping anything that could be confused for a doggy treat in your pocket. Small joke. Some of the paleness has gone from your cheeks and you smiled. It will be nice to watch you come about again and live your life.

Your Sincere Friend, The Lady in White


When Amelia went to leave the letter she was shocked to see one waiting for her. Taking the letter, she replaced it with her own and sat onthe rocking chair that was placed next to the doorway. Her face flushed slightly as she oped the letter and read:

To the lady without one ribbon.

I thank you for your kind words, written to me on such a timely occassion. While my heart is still heavy you have indeed made a difference in this mans life. You have given me the hope that perhaps there is something else out there for me. Today I stepped outside of the four wall of my estate and mingled with the public again. It has done me well. I am also eating and sleeping better. It was your letter that began it all and if I ever should chance to meet you again should enjoy it greatly. I do not know if you will ever receive this for I am placing it outside my door in the hopes that something might cause you to return to the place that you visited a few days past. Thank you again.

Mr. D. Convington.

It warmed her heart that she had done some good for the only man she had loved. Damon had always been a clever person. Amelia should have known he would try something like this. She was startled when a noise came from behind the door of the estate. She could hear the voice of someone and large door began to creep open. Amelia gulped down hard, her anxiety becoming more intense. She had no way of explaining her presence this late at night at the home of a single gentleman.

She quickly picked up the letter and her lantern, preparing to run. Amelia saw someone start to step out of the door and took off. A voice rang out in the darkness, asking her to stop. She turned slightly but only for a moment when she reached the gate. Not stopping until she returned to her own home, Amelia came in with a rush and just stood there against the door of her own house, holding the letter from Damon to her heart. Those penned words meant more to her than Damon would ever know.
 
Place: The Covington estate, Boston, Mass.
Time: 12.01am
Year: 1844

It was the light that captured his attention. He had been struggling to stay awake but much desired to know if the lady in white would return. Just as his eyes lids had been closing he thought he had heard something. Then whoever it was had stayed still, the light of a gently swinging lantern visible through the curtains which hung over his windows. It was her, it had to be. Midnight again! He didn't want to scare her away but he did want to talk and so he began to open the door fearing that at the first sight of him the stranger might flee.

"Stop, please, don't leave." He cried out into the night but all that lingered was the stretched shadow of her singular form and then at the gate she turned but the distance was too great and the night too dark to tell at that distance just who had been on his estate. He did however spot what looked like a golden locket swinging from her neck as she fled. With a sad resigned sigh he turned to walk back into his home but paused momentarily. There just where the first letter had been was another. He stooped down and picked it up, pocketing it as he walked inside. The night watchman was awake having been led to this side of the house by the small commotion.

"Are you alright sir?"

"Yes, yes quite." Damon responded, dismissing the man. He reached his room and lay down, finger running across the sealed envelope, peeling it back before he began to read.

Dear Mr. Covington,

I was quite relieved when I made aware of your presence at the local park. Other than an unfortunate run in with a rather over-enthusiastic canine, it sounds like the outing was a good one. I do advise not keeping anything that could be confused for a doggy treat in your pocket. Small joke. Some of the paleness has gone from your cheeks and you smiled. It will be nice to watch you come about again and live your life.

Your Sincere Friend, The Lady in White


She had been there! At the park! He felt his heart skip a beat as he thought back to the incident. So whoever it was had been watching he and Amelia as well as the mishap with the dog. He tried to remember who was in the crowd, longed to identify the one person he could say thank you too. For it did not seem a selfish matter that the lady wrote these letters. Her concern seemed wholly about him and he found his face flushing a pale red. How long had this lady been watching him? He shook his head silently and closed his eyes, falling asleep there with the letter on his lap.

Place: Massachusettes Theatre. Down Town.
Time: 6.pm
Year: 1844

He lounged in one of the chairs. Reclined really for lounging was too informal. He was dressed in one of his favorite suits, a smile upon his face as he chuckled at the stage performance trying to forget that to his left was an empty seat. Empty because it seemed that no one wished to take the familiar spot that his ex fiancee had so recently occupied. Still, the performance was not bad. It was Richard the third and his rallying speeches were quite exhilarating. At the end of each scene the entire audience would wait with baited breath for the next to occur.

At last though, it was the intermission and he stood to move out of the main seating and gain a bit of air. Several couples did likewise and a few individuals. It was customary for there were 15 more minutes until the second act was to begin. As he stepped out the door he held it open for the young lady he sensed was behind him. It was Amelia. With surprise but congenial words he smiled, "I do declare miss Amelia. Two meetings in a week and I only out and about on three occasions in all!"

She seemed to flush as he stepped to the side, "Might I inquire who enjoys your company on such a night as this?"
 
Place: Winchester home, Boston, Mass.
Time: 12.15am
Year: 1844

Amelia ran into her home and cried as she felt for her locket, seeing that it was missing. She wept where she stood at the loss of the momento that was all she had left of her beloved relative. It didn't help that her heart was beating a teriffying rhythmn because of almost being caught by someone at Damon's home. A warm, loving arm embraced her, taking her by surprise. Bessie's warm smile only made her cry worse and the older woman handed her a hankerchief. "Oh, poor little thing." Amelia cried into her shoulder. "Whatever it is, it will work out in the end. Your crying always broke my heart. Go on up to your room and ready yourself for bed. I will come up and brush your hair for you. Maybe even bring you a cup of valarian tea to help you sleep."

Later on while Bessie was brushing her hair, they talked. "Why do you do such things, child?" Amelia sighed deeply and replied honestly. "Because I love him. I can't help that, Bessie. Since I was younger, he's all there's been for me. No one has ever taken that place in my heart other than him." Bessie shook her shoulders. "Then for God's sake, tell him so. The man doesn't read minds. The two of you could be exactly what each other needs." Bessie held the girl to her breast and prayed for some kind of resolution to this situation that wouldn't end in this poor child having her heart broken.Bessie watched Amelia climb into bed with a heavy heart. "Don't you worry, Miss. Your locket will turn up and all will be alright."

Place: Massachusettes Theatre. Down Town.
Time: 6.pm
Year: 1844

Bessie had fought with her about her isolation and that Amelia needed to get out tonight. The older woman even suggested the theatre for tonight and for once, her mother agreed. The two of them decided on a special gown for her to wear and her mother even fixed Amelia's hair herself. Caroline gazed at her daughter in the mirror that she sat before. "My baby is a grown woman. There is no doubting that anymore. Some dashing man will come and sweep you off your feet, taking you away from home." Amelia's eyes turned sad and she eyed Bessie who just nodded.

Her mother sent her to the theatre with her little thirteen year old brother, Adam as her escort. It was amusing to see the boy puff up with male pride when their mother gave him the responsibility. Amelia felt slightly embarrassed since she was getting more attention than usual. It wasn't something she was used to. The dress flattered her very well and men were seeing her with new eyes. The first part of the show was entertaining enough but Amelia had other things on her mind. When it was time for the break, she got up but told Adam to stay in his seat since she just needed some air.

Amelia followed the gentleman in front of her, since they were headed out the same door. She was caught off guard when she heard Damon's voice. The smile he gave her made her cheeks flush but she enjoyed seeing it again. It flattered her that he almost sounded happy to see her. She stepped up and smiled back up at him. "Accompany me for a bit of fresh air and I shall tell you." She teased. Once outside she found herself on his arm once again. "My little brother, Adam is my escort for tonight. He's inside talking to little Ashlyn Vanderdale. I think he's smitten." It was quite adorable to see her brother drooling over the curly haired red head.
 
Back
Top