2013 Chatting Thread

Boxlicker101

Licker of Boxes
It may be a bit early to start this, but I am going to do it anyhow. :)

Please put all posts that are off topic here. If you have an actual question about the contest or related to the contest, you can put it in the discussion thread (and then in the news, views, and announcements thread once it's created after the 2012's contest is put to bed). Complaining, griping, or off-topic posts in official threads will be moved here.

At this time, I am not positive there will be a contest in 2013, but I have no reason to think there won't.

Chat away!

I'm excited about the 2013 Survivor Contest. Can't wait for the official word that it's going to happen. I am going to participate whole-heartedly this year, even if only in the audio category. It's a great way to get exposure for your work. :)

Thanks for starting the thread Box...you're a great Mod!

We would probably be quite wise to start up a few chain stories. I think anybody who's competed before has posted in most of if not all of the currently extant chain stories, certainly all the ones that they have a knack for.

We would probably be quite wise to start up a few chain stories. I think anybody who's competed before has posted in most of if not all of the currently extant chain stories, certainly all the ones that they have a knack for.

Here is a list of the active chain stories and instructions on starting a new one.
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=402154

If you know of any more or have started one, let me know and I will add it to the list. There aren't very many right now, but we can add one per year to those that are open.

I think we might be wise to discuss a few new ones for this year, I took a peak at the thread and I think I've written in four of those plus a few that have been closed. This isn't my first rodeo and also some of those aren't particularly general.

I wish I had an idea for what we could do cus I don't off the top of my head actually maybe zombie apocalypse?

Four new categories for the 2013 Contest

I just read 'How To Write a Fifty-Word Story' by Oggbashan and thought that it would be a good idea to add a category in which writers have to submit sets of 15 fifty-word stories. I think that in this category would not be without precedence since it would be like writing your own little chain stories and it shouldn't matter if you use the same themes in stories in the other categories since we're talking about using 45 story ideas just to complete Cap 1 here.

Follwing Oggbashan's suggestion in his essay, these sets could have a poetry equivalent for persons who focus on poetry or those who can't manage the 15 stories necessary for submission as a 750-word story.

~~~

I'd also like to recommend another new story category: "Historical"; in which the story must be set before some time like 1946 (so that stories set in WWII would be eligible). Again, these stories could conform to the other categories like they could also be gay, lesbian, romance, interracial or humourous, but the fact that they are set in a historical time would be the important feature for them.

Finally, as another new Poetry category I'd like to suggest a Speciality Poetry category in which limerics, haikus etc can go. These would help to give people who focus on poetry a better chance in the Survivor Contest since there are far fewer opportunities for them to shine at the moment and the fact that these poems have their own rules about form etc would mean that the writers had to demonstrate skill in negotiating these categories.

If you know of any more or have started one, let me know and I will add it to the list. There aren't very many right now, but we can add one per year to those that are open.

Can you only post in the ones listed? Seems like there were some old chain stories that haven't had posts in them for a while but were open ended. Can those get submissions?

Can you only post in the ones listed? Seems like there were some old chain stories that haven't had posts in them for a while but were open ended. Can those get submissions?

You can post in anything that is still open. Some have been idle for a long time but, unless they have actually ended, they should still be considered open. I have been busy for the last few days with Christmas and some birthdays, but I will be updating the list that is among the stickies. :)

I just read 'How To Write a Fifty-Word Story' by Oggbashan and thought that it would be a good idea to add a category in which writers have to submit sets of 15 fifty-word stories. I think that in this category would not be without precedence since it would be like writing your own little chain stories and it shouldn't matter if you use the same themes in stories in the other categories since we're talking about using 45 story ideas just to complete Cap 1 here.

Follwing Oggbashan's suggestion in his essay, these sets could have a poetry equivalent for persons who focus on poetry or those who can't manage the 15 stories necessary for submission as a 750-word story.

~~~

I'd also like to recommend another new story category: "Historical"; in which the story must be set before some time like 1946 (so that stories set in WWII would be eligible). Again, these stories could conform to the other categories like they could also be gay, lesbian, romance, interracial or humourous, but the fact that they are set in a historical time would be the important feature for them.

Finally, as another new Poetry category I'd like to suggest a Speciality Poetry category in which limerics, haikus etc can go. These would help to give people who focus on poetry a better chance in the Survivor Contest since there are far fewer opportunities for them to shine at the moment and the fact that these poems have their own rules about form etc would mean that the writers had to demonstrate skill in negotiating these categories.

I think that Bisexual and Playwriting/Screen play categories would also be interesting in their own rights.

Season's Greetings to everyone, and I hope that 2013 will be a boon year for you all!

(((HUGS)))

:rose:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that Bisexual and Playwriting/Screen play categories would also be interesting in their own rights.

Season's Greetings to everyone, and I hope that 2013 will be a boon year for you all!

(((HUGS)))

:rose:

This is not really the place to suggest new categories. Tha Authors' Hangout would be better, or a PM to Laurel. I believe there will be a new category - Bisexual - and, if there is, it will mean we increase the total to 36 categories from 35.

This is not really the place to suggest new categories. Tha Authors' Hangout would be better, or a PM to Laurel. I believe there will be a new category - Bisexual - and, if there is, it will mean we increase the total to 36 categories from 35.

Oh, really? Do you happen to have more info, maybe when it will debut?

@ Cinner, good on the suggestion about a Screenwriting/Playwriting category, I'd support it. I encourage you to do as Box says for a better place to make such suggestions.

Oh, really? Do you happen to have more info, maybe when it will debut?

@ Cinner, good on the suggestion about a Screenwriting/Playwriting category, I'd support it. I encourage you to do as Box says for a better place to make such suggestions.

I haven't heard anything definite, but here is a long thread on the subject of a Bisexual category: http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=814085

Untill they split Loving Wife into loving wife and cuckold, or simply do away with Loving Wife and replace it with Cuckold (I see no reason why healthy loving relationships aren't adequately covered by Romance) I don't want to see anything as silly as script

Untill they split Loving Wife into loving wife and cuckold, or simply do away with Loving Wife and replace it with Cuckold (I see no reason why healthy loving relationships aren't adequately covered by Romance) I don't want to see anything as silly as script

This has been a source of complaint ever since I got here, and I am inclined to agree, except I think the category should be called "Cheaters" or something like that, and include cheating husbands as well as wives. The stories about actual loving wives and husbands would fit into Romance or First Time or something else. The cheater could be a party in a same sex marriage, but I believe the Management would put that into either Gay or Lesbian or something else, depending on who was involved.

Stories about swingers would go into Group or Bisexual, if such a category is created. Of course, if there are categories added, that will change the scoring too. It will be necessary to fill all 36 or 37 categories to winn the full bonus amount.

Based on the assumption that there will be a contest next year, and I have no reason to think there won't be, I have started a Rules and Registration thread where people can sign up for next year and an Immunity thread for January.

Anybody with any suggestions for changing the rules for next year can put their ideas in the former thread, besides signing up for next year's contest.

I am 99.99% sure I am not participating in 2013, but I will watch and chat and answer questions if folks ask some that I think I can help with. I'll definitely remind folks off and on about the "On the Bus" chain story and keep links current - as long as I'm able. The last 2 and a half weeks have been rough on my immune system and it's only been yesterday and today that I've started to feel slightly better. Thank you - DOCTOR! and Antibiotics!!

Good luck to all who are participating in the 2013 season.

I also have a rule change suggestion, but I'm going to voice it after the contest is over.

I am 99.99% sure I am not participating in 2013, but I will watch and chat and answer questions if folks ask some that I think I can help with. I'll definitely remind folks off and on about the "On the Bus" chain story and keep links current - as long as I'm able. The last 2 and a half weeks have been rough on my immune system and it's only been yesterday and today that I've started to feel slightly better. Thank you - DOCTOR! and Antibiotics!!

Good luck to all who are participating in the 2013 season.

I also have a rule change suggestion, but I'm going to voice it after the contest is over.

So...now that the contest is over...I was wondering what was your rule change suggestion.

My rule change suggestion is that I win this year...again (lol) as I did in 2011.

So...now that the contest is over...I was wondering what was your rule change suggestion.

My rule change suggestion is that I win this year...again (lol) as I did in 2011.

I'm on the fence on this one and let me start out by saying I'm not picking on people. I just had issues with this particular thing that transpired this year.

When Neonurotic posted he was withdrawing from the contest, Box came back on and said, it was okay for him to drop out, but if he wanted to come back he could. Box also mentioned that Neonurotic was already eligible for a gift card. So Neonurotic decided to come back on board.

My personal opinion is that if anyone publicly posts on the Survivor Rule/Registration thread that they are dropping out, they can only rejoin or withdraw their "drop-out" status before the Oct. deadline that is set for folks to join up. If they realize after the Oct. date that they would have been eligible to win something, then too bad for them, they can't rejoin after that deadline.

Again, that whole dropping out and popping back in didn't sit well with me, but Box made the call and I don't believe there is a rule about, so the topic may have never come up before.

Ouch, on the call out there.
However, I do agree, though, why October for the cut off?

But I'm not ungrateful, thanks Box for letting me back in and the clue where I had placed. The Amazon gift certificate went back to Literotica in a way with help of purchasing writer software that I'm having loads of fun with.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence on this one and let me start out by saying I'm not picking on people. I just had issues with this particular thing that transpired this year.

When Neonurotic posted he was withdrawing from the contest, Box came back on and said, it was okay for him to drop out, but if he wanted to come back he could. Box also mentioned that Neonurotic was already eligible for a gift card. So Neonurotic decided to come back on board.

My personal opinion is that if anyone publicly posts on the Survivor Rule/Registration thread that they are dropping out, they can only rejoin or withdraw their "drop-out" status before the Oct. deadline that is set for folks to join up. If they realize after the Oct. date that they would have been eligible to win something, then too bad for them, they can't rejoin after that deadline.

Again, that whole dropping out and popping back in didn't sit well with me, but Box made the call and I don't believe there is a rule about, so the topic may have never come up before.

It just seemed like the thing to do and, as you say, there is nothing specific in the rules about it. The Oct. 30 deadline is the result of one person signing up in the middle of December one year and dumping hundreds of stories on his scorecard at one time. That was the most egregious example if sandbagging the contest has ever had. Other times, people hold off on entering their work on their scorecards until late in the year, and that's bad enough but, at least, people can check on competitors' individual story and poem indexes if they suspect somebody is sandbagging.

People can still sign up in late October, but others will know about it and can check on what those new entrants have done.

Hi!

I have a stupid simple doubt, but I can't seem to find my answer anywhere, so I'm just gonna go and ask here (please, don't hate me if this is not the place...)

To "participate" in the special contests (such as Valentine Day contest)... what do I have to do? Just write in the notes of the story "special contest, valentine day"? And once the story is approved it is part of the contest?

Thank you!!

Hi!

I have a stupid simple doubt, but I can't seem to find my answer anywhere, so I'm just gonna go and ask here (please, don't hate me if this is not the place...)

To "participate" in the special contests (such as Valentine Day contest)... what do I have to do? Just write in the notes of the story "special contest, valentine day"? And once the story is approved it is part of the contest?

Thank you!!

You have to copy and paste this phrase into the Notes field
"VALENTINES DAY STORY CONTEST 2013"

Here are the other rules for entering the contest.

Good luck! :)

I wasn't upset about it. I just didn't feel it was the way to go and like I said, it's my personal opinion.

Sorry if you felt I was picking on you Neo, I wasn't and I would hope you realized that. But since you feel "ouch"ed you must not. Again as I said in the post, I wasn't picking on you, nor was I picking on Box. I just didn't agree with the decision and I won't apologize for that.

I'm sure if I or another person close to the top 5 had dropped out and suddenly decided later as the contest came to a close to pop back in, others may have felt the same way. Would they have said something, maybe not, but that would have been their choice.

Back