"To keep the review thread clean..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
flyguy69 said:
Plagiarism, shlagiarism... can you dance to it?

Dance and sway,
Hands wrapped around
In a Hammerdown way...

She's a good learner in the straight key-
I hold the twelve and see melody
Before me.

eagleyez said:
Dance and sway,
Hands wrapped around
In a Hammerdown way...

She's a good learner in the straight key-
I hold the twelve and see melody
Before me.
Ahh, you're just looking in her eyes!

I think I plagiarized. I took some words out of my divorce papers and used them in my Final Decree of Divorce poem. I'm a dirty, bad girl. :)

Humble thanks and appropriate bribes slid under appropriate tables to Tess who mentioned my Final Renovation and all the numerous comments I've recieved.

I'm surprised over the strong reception, from poets and poetry buffs I have lots of respect for. I guess that proves, at least to me, that there is no dichotomy between song lyrics and poetry. :)

UBU said:
Found Poem #69

To be
Or not to be
That is the question

Follows all the "rules," doesn't it? Yet, I doubt if people would accept it as readily as they did a quote they hadn't heard of. Mr. Dada's moniker is interesting because dada was sort of the start of "found" objects being presented as art. But looking at the most famous examples of Marcel Duchamp's "ready mades" proves my point -- one was a urinal, the other the Mona Lisa with a mustache. He certainly didn't present an untouched Monet as his own.

Found Poem #X

Not to be

As soon as I figure out how, Found Poem #4 will cease to exist. All of you who responded, thank you.

Bill Dada said:
Found Poem #X

Not to be

As soon as I figure out how, Found Poem #4 will cease to exist. All of you who responded, thank you.

well aint that a bundle of bull shit!!!
I didn't know Shakespeare had a shot gun or a pistol~

what happen to the concept that all poems are rewrites of what has already been said or is that just for certain people or certain poems? I for one liked the poem and commented so!

WickedEve said:
I think I plagiarized. I took some words out of my divorce papers and used them in my Final Decree of Divorce poem. I'm a dirty, bad girl. :)

Good thing we all Love * Dirty Bad Gurls/Guys * here eh ~
( or I would be in a barrel over a waterfall by now, grins* )

* properly spanks you, and sends you to the corner

Bad Bad Gurl Evie ~!!

;) :devil: :catroar:

Liar said:
Humble thanks and appropriate bribes slid under appropriate tables to Tess who mentioned my Final Renovation and all the numerous comments I've recieved.

I'm surprised over the strong reception, from poets and poetry buffs I have lots of respect for. I guess that proves, at least to me, that there is no dichotomy between song lyrics and poetry. :)

You can come out from under the table now.

:D

My Erotic Tale said:
well aint that a bundle of bull shit!!!
I didn't know Shakespeare had a shot gun or a pistol~

what happen to the concept that all poems are rewrites of what has already been said or is that just for certain people or certain poems? I for one liked the poem and commented so!

Art thanks for your support. I don't think that Shakespeare had a shotgun or a pistol, however the Found Poem Police are armed and on the job. They are the cover story in the Litigious Times. My found poem rules are a sideways plagiarism from "Fight Club" which is plagiarism of Aleister Crowley who would never steal. Of course dada was all about the rules, as far as dada was concerned there could never be enough rules.

So does anyone out there know how one could go about removing a poem.

ty,bd

Bill Dada said:

ty,bd
Resubmit it, but just put: "DELETE" next to the title. In the body where you'd normally put the poem, say that you'd like it to be deleted. No explanations are necessary and it usually takes 3 to 5 days for the poem to be removed off Literotica.

Done

neonurotic said:
Resubmit it, but just put: "DELETE" next to the title. In the body where you'd normally put the poem, say that you'd like it to be deleted. No explanations are necessary and it usually takes 3 to 5 days for the poem to be removed off Literotica.

Thanks

Bill Dada said:
Art thanks for your support. I don't think that Shakespeare had a shotgun or a pistol, however the Found Poem Police are armed and on the job. They are the cover story in the Litigious Times. My found poem rules are a sideways plagiarism from "Fight Club" which is plagiarism of Aleister Crowley who would never steal. Of course dada was all about the rules, as far as dada was concerned there could never be enough rules.

ty,bd

I ain't the cops. I was under the impression you wanted opinions. I hadn't read the poem, admittedly, but there is a difference between plagiarizing and remaking someting into something different. If you disagree, don't feel you have to remove your poem. I certainly don't have any authority over it...

Fondue Poetry

does it get
more cheezy
than this?

An interesting titbit from Poetry Magazine

Angeline said:
I have always understood plagiarism to be using material someone else wrote without giving them credit either by quoting directly or by closely paraphrasing their words. I have always understood found poetry to be a poem remade into something new using words from someone else's source material. I have not typically seen found poems made from other poems although one could argue that certain forms--like the glosa for example, which builds a new poem around lines from one already written--sort of are found poetry. Note that in the glosa, the quoted material that forms the basis for the new poem is always credited to the original author.

I don't think there are rules insofar as using the words in a poem--or any piece of literature--to create a new poem, a found poem, BUT if you simply paraphrase you have, at least to me, done nothing more than steal someone else's words. Furthermore if you researched plagiarism, I think you'd find my interpretation is pretty standard.

I'd be interested in your source and whether whoever it is has anything to say about plagiarism. One needs to be careful about these things. Plagiarism is considered actionable and we live in litigious times.

I have always felt that the use of any but the most obviously well known quotations or portions of another's writing must be acknowledged. I have also been a long time subscriber of Poetry Magazine and basically have considered it to be one of the pinnacles of poetry publishing in the world.

Well, in the July/August Poetry magazine they included a poem by Loren Goodman titled "Traveling Through the Dark (2005)". The poem was an exact copy of William Stafford's "Traveling Through the Dark" with only one word changed. The only hint that the poem was not entirely original was the "(2005)" added to the title.

When numerous readers contacted the magazine regarding the selection of this poem for their magazine, Poetry Editors responded:

"This is one of many letters we received about Loren Goodman's very slight adjustment -- and very large parody -- of William Stafford's well-known poem. Explaining a joke is never very effective, so let us just make clear to all those people who wrote in that we are in fact familiar with William Stafford, who published close to one hundred poems in this magazine, and we recognized Goodman's revision."

I have never really considered found poetry as creative, considering the reworking of an existing work with line breaks and stanzas as merely editing, not creating, but this whole parody thing has my head spinning. I guess to be fair, I'll need to read the William Stafford original and compare it to Goodman's poem and then try to figure out when parody trumps plagarism.

Scratching my head here...

jim : )

Removing a poem

Bill Dada said:

ty,bd

Simply PM Laurel and ask that she remove the poem. It will show up on your poetry page as pending. You can then click on the link and delete the poem. Of course before you do that you may want to read my previous post, regarding Poetry Magazine and parody.

jim : )

champagne1982 said:
That said, I'll watch and maybe you'll realize, that in this case, it's not what you say, but how you say it.

You, too, have a nice day.
So I've been told... sadly, I've grown into the habit of saying what I need to say the way I need to say it. So I guess you could say the problem is not what's said, but what is heard.

DJHyrrikhayne said:
So I've been told... sadly, I've grown into the habit of saying what I need to say the way I need to say it. So I guess you could say the problem is not what's said, but what is heard.

"Yes, perhaps you didn't hear me!"
I made the suggestion that if you wanted feedback to make a thread with your poem and ask for criticism. You choose not to do that then your in the right place for Chit Chat!

Those who stand behind 'I' boldly, may not be wanting the eye of another? but instead an ear?

I'd like to say a belated `Thank you!` to Rybka for mentioning my `tree explodes` poem(s) in his review. Plus another `Thank you!` for contributing an excellent third version to join my original effort and the much improved second version! :D

Thank you to Blue and Du for mentioning "War's Vision - 2" in the New Poems thread. What a nice way to be greeted after being laid low for 3 days with this little bug!

:rose: :rose:

I just want to thank 1201, Maria, Sack, Liar and Angeline and anyone I missed who has commented, critiqued and complimented me on my poem The Escape Into Xanadu.

Several people have commented on my poems, saying they felt they have been reading more than one poem or they seem a little muddled in places. What I've been trying to do is to write about a subject from different perspectives, rather like Picasso tried to make a composition from several different perspectives when scanning a subject. In the poem The Escape To Xanadu, I spliced in a drug/psychedelic sequence rather like in the film Les Amants du Pont-Neuf, if anyone has seen it. Whether it works or not is not for me to say but I do hear those that question it. I realise it can jar or interupt the flow of the poem which I guess is the point but such sequences should work in the context of the poem and if they don't, I need to look at it again. But thanks everyone.

Oh...I almost forgot the trols. Thanks for being jealous and pathetic, you can kiss my ass because you'll always be crap! :p

Thanks to Du, 4degrees, and Sack for their comments/mention for my poem, 'Eating Time'. I appreciate it always. :rose:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back