Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tio, hotsy-totsy was not in my dictionary, but I bet it is in Og's slang dictionary. This is all I could find;

hotsy–totsy - adj slang comfortably stable or secure : perfect, ok
Origin of HOTSY-TOTSY, it was coined about 1926 by Billie De Beck, an American cartoonist

Good day, everyone. I knew the first definiton of this next word, but not the second;

pleasance - noun 1. feeling of pleasure: DELIGHT 2. a pleasant rest or recreation place usually attached to a mansion

Good day, everyone. I knew the first definiton of this next word, but not the second;

pleasance - noun 1. feeling of pleasure: DELIGHT 2. a pleasant rest or recreation place usually attached to a mansion

Kenilworth Castle Warwickshire used to have a Pleasance. It was sited in an island at the end of a long lake, and was a building for dinners, picnics, and dalliance.

The earthworks (on private land) are still visible, but the lake was drained. The buildings were removed during Henry VIII's reign. Stone from the building was reused for additions to the castle.

In about 1414 Henry V had le plesans en marais — "The Pleasuance in the Marsh" — built about 0.5 miles (800 m) west of the castle. This was a timber-framed banqueting house surrounded by a moated earthwork about 600 feet (180 m) by about 500 feet (150 m) that 15th century kings used instead of the castle's state apartments. In the 16th century Henry VIII had the banqueting house demolished and the materials re-used for new timber-framed buildings inside the castle. The mere was drained in 1649 but "The Pleasance" earthworks survive and are a Scheduled Monument.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Og, for the additional information on pleasances, I had a feeling you would know more on the subject. It seems that a pleasance was something like a retreat is today.

pleach - vt INTERLACE, PLAIT

Having never heard the word before, I am pleasantly surprised to see pleach being used in modern times. Thanks, Edward.

The next section is play and there are lots of entries. I am going to pick only the seldom-used ones;

playlet - noun a short play

tuque [tuːk] n. Canadian
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a knitted cap with a long tapering end
2. (Clothing & Fashion) Also called toque a close-fitting knitted hat often with a tassel or pompom

[from Canadian French, from French: toque]

I'll be damned. I'd never seen or heard the word before. Who said you couldn't improve your vocabulary on Literotica?

http://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=41989570&postcount=239038

Also see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuque

Sorry Trysail; I'm Canadian; didn't know our standard winter wear was a seldom-used word. We call it that all the time, even when it's a navy watchcap without a tassel.

Sorry Trysail; I'm Canadian; didn't know our standard winter wear was a seldom-used word. We call it that all the time, even when it's a navy watchcap without a tassel.

I've always known toque but I don't recall having ever seen the word tuque in print.

I know what kind of hat you mean by the description, but knew neither name. Thanks for educating me, gentlemen.

A couple of more play words;

play fellow - noun PLAYMATE

playgoer - noun a person who frequently attends plays

Hello posters,

plausive - adj 1. manifesting praise or approval: APPLAUDING 2. obsolete: PLEASING 3. archaic: SPECIOUS

The weekend is here. Enjoy it.

plaudit - noun 1. an act or round of applause 2. enthusiatic approval

Here is a word I thought I understood correctly, but I guess not;

platonic love - noun (often capitalized P) 1. love conceived by Plato as ascending from passion for the individual to contemplation of the universal and ideal 2. a close relationship between two persons in which sexual desire has been suppressed or subliminated

I had, what I thought was, a "platonic relationship" with a young man, when I was also young, but I never had any sexual desire for him. There was no attraction to be suppressed or subliminated. Maybe "platonic" is not the right word for what we shared, which was friendship.

Another Monday has arrived. I hope your weekend was swell.

platitude - noun 1. the quality or state of being dull or insipid: TRITENESS 2. a flat, trite, or weak remark: COMMONPLACE

burgee n., 1. a swallow-tailed flag used especially by ships for signals or identification,
2. the usually triangular identifying flag of a yacht club.

Etymology:
perhaps from French dialect bourgeais shipowner
First Known Use: 1750

200px-Burgee_of_the_New_York_Yacht_Club.svg.png

Thanks, Trysail, it is nice to know the name of that kind of flag.

Here is an interesting pairing;

platinum black - noun a soft dull black powder of metallic platinum obtained by reduction and precipitation from solutions of its salts and used as a catalyst

platinum blonde - noun 1. a pale silvery blonde color that in human hair is usually produced by bleach and a bluish rinse 2. a person whose hair is of the color platium blonde

Tio, I immediately thought the same thing, but without the black woman with blonde hair picture that could also spring to mind.

Even more than that - the platinum black as catlyst in a tryst of epic proportions - possibly in mid-19th century America...

Yes, Tio. It has definite possibilities. Did I tell you I got a copy of Ken Burns' The Shakers and found it very fascinating, indeed?

platina(1) - noun (Spanish) PLATINUM; esp: crude native platinum

platina(2) - adj of the color platinum

Yes, the Shakers started up in Niskayuna, New York, near Albany. I've been there many time (but for soccer tournaments, not celibate dizzy dancing). They may ahve been the forerunners of the "Burned Over District" along the Mohawk and, later, the Erie Barge Canal. Last I saw, there were three Shakers Sisters left alive, but I'm not sure how there faring today. That is, of course, the area which saw many new religions emerge in the period 1815-1840 (the Shakers, though, were 1794, if I remember correctly), including the Latter Day Saints.
I'll have to write some erotic stories for that area and that era...
(God, I miss you...)

I can see why Ken Burns chose to do a documentary on the Shakers, what an amazing group of true Christians. I am not sure how you could do an erotica story with them as the stars, but they would make a nice backdrop. I thought the Shakers' description of the "Winter Shakers", or poor people who needed religion, mostly sustenance, for the winter only, was a very kind term. And yes, I miss you, too, Tio dearest.

plater - noun 1. one that plates 2.a. a horse that runs chiefly in plate races b. an inferior racehorse

So, now, I want to know what a plate race is;

plate - noun (too many definitions) d. (1) a prize given to the winner in a contest (2) a sports competition; esp: a horse race in which the contestants compete for a prize rather than stakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back