Submission Calls

I know Zhuk from when he used to post here, and I'm sure he wasn't casting aspersions on anna or this thread. I think everyone here agrees it's an excellent thread and really appreciates that anna puts the work in to share this information.

And RainMan is right that one person's crap is someone else's gold, but who here hasn't looked at poetry in so-called top journals/magazines, etc., and thought "I know I've written better poems than that"? I sure have and not because I think what I write is so good, but because I know that a place like, say, New Yorker will leap to publish pretty much whatever Poet X of Reputation X submits. That is a sort of cronyism and it's just, imo, a reality of poetry publishing. I've read poems by everyone who posts in this thread, as well as others on this forum, that I think are as good or better than stuff I seen in the "best places."

I think I've been lucky to be accepted by some of the zines in this thread. They may not all post top tier poets--in terms of reputation--but most of them publish really good poetry, which is what matters most, at least to me.

Maybe someday I'll be in New Yorker, most likely not though I'll keep trying to get into more selective journals. Isn't that what many here are trying to do? I feel like I'm on a path with my writing that I'll stay on no matter where it takes me. It's the journey, not the destination and the writing is the journey. :)
 
Angeline said:
Maybe someday I'll be in New Yorker, most likely not though I'll keep trying to get into more selective journals. Isn't that what many here are trying to do? I feel like I'm on a path with my writing that I'll stay on no matter where it takes me. It's the journey, not the destination and the writing is the journey. :)


You said it, angel. :) ...just write.

I'm oh for The New Yorker, but they haven't heard the last of me.

I'm gonna wear the bastards down. :)

:rose:
 
mastodon dentist guidelines

Submission
Guidelines
Deadline Date Issue Publish Date
Feb. 1 Spring March 1
May 1 Summer June 1
August 1 Fall September 1
November 1 Winter December 1



We accept submissions of original previously unpublished material only.
Send them in the body of an email to submissions@mastodondentist.com or files in Word or similar format. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable provided you explicitly tell us so. Artwork should be in bitmap, jpeg or similar format. Don't forget to include your full name.

Please limit your submission to a maximum of 5 poems. Don't send us a 60 page manuscript; it isn't fair to me or to other people who read the guidelines and take the time to gear their submission to this particular publication. We have only so much time to spend with everyone. A short bio is acceptable but not required; if your work is accepted you will be asked to provide one and a photo. I will be happy to include links to other publications, but try to limit your publishing credits to ten at the most.

What we like:
Typically we prefer free verse. Poems should be serious well-written attempts that strive to achieve a somewhat discernable goal and deliver results. Subject matter can be pretty broad as long as it relates in someway to our human condition (but please read on for subjects that are all but taboo).

What we don't like is gratuitous profanity or explicit sexual language done solely for "effect," obvious rhyme schemes or prose poems. Needless to say that work should be free of spelling and grammatical errors. Do not bcc me on a message that you send to many other places; I consider this to be poetic spamming and your work will not be read.

Subject Matter:
You should steer clear of subjects we can't work with such as The War in Iraq or Abortion. Our politics are all very different and are not apt to co-exist inside this forum. The purpose of this magazine is not to debate such subjects that are better off in the hands of our leaders or God if you chose to believe in one.

Our Goal: Communication!
Ultimately language is a means of communicating one's experience, memory, thoughts and feelings. A work of art, whether it be a poem or image, is something timeless, like paintings on the wall of a cave. We seek to explore the many ways this can be achieved.

I look forward to reading your work.

Sincerely,
Gordon Purkis
Editor
 
Angeline said:
I know Zhuk from when he used to post here, and I'm sure he wasn't casting aspersions on anna or this thread. I think everyone here agrees it's an excellent thread and really appreciates that anna puts the work in to share this information.

And RainMan is right that one person's crap is someone else's gold, but who here hasn't looked at poetry in so-called top journals/magazines, etc., and thought "I know I've written better poems than that"? I sure have and not because I think what I write is so good, but because I know that a place like, say, New Yorker will leap to publish pretty much whatever Poet X of Reputation X submits. That is a sort of cronyism and it's just, imo, a reality of poetry publishing. I've read poems by everyone who posts in this thread, as well as others on this forum, that I think are as good or better than stuff I seen in the "best places."

I think I've been lucky to be accepted by some of the zines in this thread. They may not all post top tier poets--in terms of reputation--but most of them publish really good poetry, which is what matters most, at least to me.

Maybe someday I'll be in New Yorker, most likely not though I'll keep trying to get into more selective journals. Isn't that what many here are trying to do? I feel like I'm on a path with my writing that I'll stay on no matter where it takes me. It's the journey, not the destination and the writing is the journey. :)


I also remember Zhuk and I never once thought anyone here was casting aspersions ( damn, I love that word!!) upon anyone or anything. I believe us creative people are more sensitive and in any situation, all possibilities are examined and immedietly we attempt to assign one or more of them to someone or some situation.

There are ezines of quality, and poets with reputations. I strive for that reputation, but I would hate to ever think that anyone published something of mine because they knew me or was a friend or relative. I was actually pleased when mannequin envy rejected one of mine. That made the acceptance of the other meaningful to me. :) so maybe I'm not competitive, but some things ra emore important in the grand scheme of things, or what I perceive that scheme to be). trying to be politically correct here.

Everyone that uses this thread is grateful to Anna, I am sure, or they would not be here!! It is always good to aim higher. If your aim is quantity, then maybe submit to every zine that pops up on Google. Thats one way to get your name out there and it's as simple as that.!!

And when I say "crap," I am using that word as a generic adjective type noun for general things in my life. Im too lazy too talk right, I apologize for that as I am really more intelligent than I appear to be, I think. From this day on I will not type the word "crap" again. That is my new years resolution..:D

chill poets, write some cool poetry :cool:

:heart:

maria


ps, nice to see you on the boards again, Zhuk:)
 
Maria2394 said:
There are ezines of quality, and poets with reputations. I strive for that reputation, but I would hate to ever think that anyone published something of mine because they knew me or was a friend or relative.


Maria, that is obviously an attitude all writers should have - the desire to have their writing judged blind, solely on its quality. That alone, I think, will make a writer work harder . . . and we all know that with hard work, comes improvement.

And your writing, by the way, shows plenty of quality, and belongs in quality journals.

There are plenty of on-line poetry journals publishing only first-rate poetry. Mannequin Envy is striving to be one of those.


Maria2394 said:
Everyone that uses this thread is grateful to Anna.


I know I sure am . . . she is doing the leg work. It is up to each writer to decide for themselves whether a journal she links is one where they would like their work to appear.


Maria2394 said:
And when I say "crap," I am using that word as a generic adjective type noun for general things in my life. Im too lazy too talk right, I apologize for that as I am really more intelligent than I appear to be, I think. From this day on I will not type the word "crap" again. That is my new years resolution..:D


maria


The word "Crap" works. It certainly expresses how one feels. :)

My point was that the quality of a piece of poetry is a matter of judgement, and everyone has to make their own judgement, not based on whether they have been able to get into a journal, but solely on the quality of the poetry that does.

To me, sour grapes have a bad smell . . . you never ever speak from that direction. Your first statement above proves that. You want your poetry to speak for itself, not because your name is attached. That is the attitude of someone who is professional.

:rose:
 
Last edited:
Ah, I did not feel like any aspersions were cast upon me, and thank goodness, they make my pee smell funny.

This is a good discussion. I am really glad to know what people are looking for so that I can hone in on what I select to post. I hope, really hope, that others post their experiences with zines etc and participate by sharing good links, etc.

Having said that,

thieves jargon and 10,000 monkeys

have very cool editors, Matt and Jason, respectively.

I like the philosophy of both 'zines.


...
...
 
one more, I am on a roll....

This is not a journal per se, more of an online showcase of artist's work. They contacted me so I sent them in some stuff. A nice place to direct people to go see what you have written I suppose. You can put up previously published work if you like, so you don't have to use any virgin poetry with its whole future ahead of it. A nice place to start-- if you want to see your work in lights :)



~~~~


Strangeroad.com encompasses the spirit of the counterculture, the artist, the bohemian, and the revolutionary all rolled into one. The inspiration for the site comes from places like San Francisco, New Orleans, Venice Beach, and Austin, Texas; From people like Jim Morrison, Jack Kerouac, Tupac Shakur, Hunter S. Thompson, and Che Chuervo. Basically, the spirit of the underground mixed with the vast possibilities of the internet.

The people of strangeroad.com are committed to the principals of artistic expression and the free flow of ideas. Our main purpose is to provide a venue where independent artists of every kind can display their work for a National audience, as well as a forum for the common citizen to express his or her ideas and opinions. Our various sections offer a place for anything you could create. Whether you’re an artist, a musician, a poet, a film maker, a writer, or simply someone who has a creative idea or opinion, strangeroad has a place for you to express yourself freely. Your art is your own; strangeroad has no rights to any of your stuff other than to post it on the site. In fact, by posting under your name, it is more or less copywrited for your benefit.

For the person who doesn’t feel like they are artistically inclined, or just a little shy, strangeroad offers a unique experience in entertainment and expression. The free flow of art and ideas is probably the most important thing of our lives. It is important to give these independent artists as much support as possible because although they may not be the ones to change the world directly, perhaps they will inspire those that will. The following is a brief description of each section.

Music
For bands and artists, this section provides a venue for you to post your music, bio info, album cover art, pictures, upcoming shows, and contact info to a national audience. For the fan and critic, the music section offers a place for album reviews, essays, and thoughts on particular genres, bands, time periods, venues, and anything else music related. For fans, this is where the real music is at, not the created pop star; this is real so tune in, listen up, and enjoy.

Art
A free online gallery for artists. Simply send in up to 5 pictures of your work with your name and any other relevant information, such as biography and contact info, for fans who would like to contact you for purchases; we’ll get you set up.


Poetry
For aspiring poets this is the place to publish your work online for a national audience of your peers and possibly larger publishing houses to read and enjoy. For the fan, strangeroad has a large collection of poets representing different styles and age groups for your reading pleasure.
 
*deep cleveland junkmail oracle

The one thing I do not like about this place is its confusing home page, which is home for four separate components of the same organization. Get over that, and you have a very cool zine. They took my weird stuff no one else wanted, but that is some of my favorite. A good place for you unconventional writers out there.

.........................

deep cleveland junkmail oracle is always interested in publishing experimental cleveland-themed free verse, short-short stories, photos & artwork, & poems about d.a. levy; but also any type of experimental poems filled with energy, short-short stories that demonstarte a command of language, one-paragraph prose pieces that hit you over the head like a brick, & abstract photos or artwork, especially by northeast ohio writers.

deep cleveland junkmail oracle is also interested in anything that challenges authority with intellectual stimulation; anything in the mind/body/spirit school of ecstatic expression (i'm particularly interested in new mysticism: nondogmatic nonsectarian hymns of godenergy & universal vibration), as long as the poems are not sentimental or maudlin; or anything in the sweet crazy brawling spirit of american beat literature. no rhyming poetry please!!!

if we really like your stuff, we may pay you for it. but that's not likely, since we need the money for whiskey & beer.

when you submit to dcjo, please include an introduction to your work, state your name, put your work in the body of the message & always send a bio including publishing credits, if any. put the word 'submission' on the subject line. if you MUST send an attachment, only send a microsoft word attachment and make sure your name is included inside along with the material. no rhyming poetry please!!!

by submitting your work to deep cleveland junkmail oracle, you affirm that you are the sole author of the work, and maintain all rights for your work. you also affirm that this work has not been previously published elsewhere either online, in print, or in any other medium, unless that has been disclosed in in advance and secondary publication rights have been agreed upon. if your work is accepted for publication, deep cleveland junkmail oracle acquires first north american serial rights to publish and reproduce your material online, in print, and in audio forms such as electronic file, cassette tape, or CD/CD-ROM multimedia format. after publication, all rights revert back to the author. by submitting material to deep cleveland junkmail oracle, you affirm that you have read and agree to all our submission guidelines. these guidelines are subject to change without notice.

no rhyming poetry please!!!

deep cleveland junkmail oracle reserves the right to discard without notice those submissions that do not follow our guidelines. send material by e-mail to submissions@deepcleveland.com or by snail mail to p.o. box 14248, cleveland, ohio 44114. no, we can't return your work. but, thanks for asking.
 
*Niederngasse

Just a reminder, the deadline is approaching....

Niederngasse turns up the heat this February!

The focus of our supplementary issue is erotic poetry: the sensual, the provocative, the intriguing. There are no limits when it comes to literary forms, sexual positions or gender preferences.

Submit up to 3 poems to: niederngasse@yahoo.co.uk

Deadline: January 15 (with replies on or before January 25).

As further invitation, guest editor, Arlene Ang whispers steamily:
"Darlings, make my hands sweat to cuff your works to the PNG bedposts!"

So it goes...
 
Pemmican

THIS PLACE IS A GOOD TARGET FOR SO MANY LIT POETS AND WRITERS!!!!!

Pemmican seeks previously unpublished political poems, feminist poems, working class poems, ecological poems, revolutionary poems, poems to piss off the police, poetry of imagery and imagination, prose poems, long poems, short poems, and poems that destabilize the assumptions of the general aesthetic.

Pemmican is especially interested in those poets whose work has been marginalized, banned, or ignored to death for reasons other than quality.


Pemmican also seeks literary criticism, articles, essays & book reviews relating to works of political poetry and working class culture. Send finished articles, essays, and reviews or 3-7 poems per submission, no pictures, with a SASE and brief bio to:

Pemmican • P.O. Box 2692 • Kirkland, WA 98083

Submissions without a stamped, self-addressed envelope (SASE) will be discarded unread. If poets wish a return, full or partial, of submitted materials, please be sure SASE postage is sufficient to cover the cost. The best system is to request that any unused material be recycled and include an SASE merely for a reply.

Poets are also encouraged to submit poetry, literary criticism, articles, essays, fiction and other prose, & book reviews relating to works of political poetry and working class culture by email to: pemmicanpress@hotmail.com.

However , when first submitting work by email, please include it in the text body of the email transmission. Unless asked to do so directly, do not create an attachment for the document--it will be deleted unread. Worms, trojans, and viruses are often delivered by way of attachments. If we know who you are, either because of past correspondence or because we have requested it, attachments in MS Word (or Word Perfect) may not only be encouraged but may also be required. (See Pemmican's FAQ for more on attachments.)

Pemmican does not want to see workshop minimalist poetry. Journaling prose arbitrarily arranged into line breaks does not a poem make. On the other hand, people who write haiku or other Japanese or Chinese influenced forms, or work in various short structures are certainly encouraged to send poems. However, having said that, Pemmican, is not interested in Asian influenced forms that do not address the requirements of the magazine (see the second paragraph of this page).

Rhymed poetry or poetry composed in traditional forms is fine but please no greeting card verse, and any rocking chair rhymes had better carry one hell of a satirical sparkle.

As with any magazine, it is recommended that poets who have not published with Pemmican before take the time to read it and get a feel for the kinds of work that it generally publishes before submitting their own.

Pemmican receives far too many poetry submissions per week that are wholly inappropriate for the magazine. Haiku about full moons and cherry blossoms, odes to Jesus, or tormented and overwrought work about unreturned love simply tells this editor that the poet hasn't bothered to read the magazine. Firing blind like that wastes everybody's time. I wouldn't send surrealist sonnets to a haiku magazine or political poems to Poetry and expect them to be published no matter what their other merits. Writers are expected to research their "markets", such as they are. With an online magazine such as Pemmican, which is essentially free, research ought to be easy, requiring simply a commitment of time.

Pemmican accepts poems under the terms of First North American Serial Rights. That is, when an author submits a poem and it is accepted, Pemmican is given the exclusive right to print the poem before it appears in any other publication. In any subsequent publication of the work, whether in a book, chapbook, anthology or other magazine, Pemmican would receive credit as the magazine of original publication. In every respect, an online magazine is treated exactly like a print magazine or periodical, with everyone's rights and responsibilities the same. All rights to material published in Pemmican belong to the individual artists and any reproduction of this material, with the exception of selections quoted for the purposes of review, may be done only with their permission.

Pemmican will consider previously published work as well--but on a case-by-case basis. Pemmican is much more inclined to republish articles, essays, reviews, etc., than poetry. Previously unpublished work is generally preferred but exceptions can be made.

Pemmican is always seeking articles, memoirs or anecdotes on anything related to working class culture, revolutionary culture and the history of struggle. We would also like to see more literary criticism on writers, especially poets, who have contributed to the culture of protest and struggle--what Thomas McGrath called "the other tradition". America has (and has always had) a rich tradition of authors who are not content to sit silently by as the machinery of empire grinds on toward more war and profit. These all-too-frequently invisible writers have done some of the most important and genuine work in American literature yet take home only the prize of their own conscience. There are good writers of literary criticism out there--the Christopher Caudwells of our time--let's hear from you.

Pemmican is happy to publish reviews of books and chapbooks which have working class, revolutionary, social, political, feminist or ecological themes. I'm not terribly fussy about when the book was published for the simple reason that a book of poetry takes up to five years to find its audience anyway--if it finds it at all, given the jungle between any small press book and a potential reader. It's more important that a poetry reading public be made aware of a particular book, and how to get it, whether it was published yesterday or forty years ago. If we don't promote our own culture, and rescue from ruling class oblivion our rich literary legacy, who will? Previously published reviews are fine. However, reviews are published as a courtesy. As with any other work sent to Pemmican, reviews are expected to be in a finished, proofread form. Reviewers also ought to provide detailed information on the book in question, as it applies, such as: address of the press, phone and fax numbers, website location and email address; cost of the book, how to order, shipping and handling fees; whether cloth or paper, numbered, signed or unsigned, etc. It is not the job of the editorial staff at Pemmican to research these details. The goal is to make it easy for interested readers to obtain a copy of the book.

Multiple, or simultaneous, submissions are fine. The rules are the same as with any other magazine: if a poem should be accepted elsewhere, simply drop a note to Pemmican's Post Office Box or email address notifying us that the poem in question has been withdrawn from submission. It is indeed difficult for poets to send out poems, wait weeks, perhaps months on end for a reply that, odds are, will be negative--and then have to start the entire submission process all over again. Therefore multiple submissions are understood and encouraged.

(Multiple simultaneous publications of the same poem, however, are not acceptable, and any poet caught doing it will have their work dropped immediately and the other editors notified as well. Hustlers for the best publication credit are not appreciated in the small press poetry world, and if you don't believe me ask any editor out there. You don't play us, we won't play you.)

One additional thing: please do not forward petitions, chain letters, etc. to Pemmican's email address. If it's a cause we need to take action on, provide a URL to a website, an address or a phone number which can then be posted in the News section of Pemmican, and in that way people can decide for themselves whether it's something they want to be involved in.
 
*Southern Hum

Southern Hum Submission Guidelines

Please send submissions to the editor, J. Vidrine at southern_hum@yahoo.com


Send us your very best fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, and memoirs. Southern Hum is interested in all types of writing styles, whether experimental or traditional. Southern Hum seeks writing that is uniquely southern and explores southern life, traditions, or just what it means to be southern, or the southern experience. However, please do not send genre writing, or writing that is stereotypical in its treatment towards the South. Do send writing that is fresh in its approach to the South. A writer does not have to be currently residing in the South, nor does the story have to be set in the south, but the writing should address some view(s) of the South or a southern experience. At times we do reserve the right to publish something that is not necessarily southern, but fine writing than just can't be passed up.

Deadlines

March issue -- deadline February 1

June issue -- May 1



Poetry

Submit up to 5 poems as a Microsoft word attachment. As of now, there is no limit on pages or words. However, epic-length poems are discouraged. Previously published poems are not accepted. Simultaneously submissions are allowed as long as you notify the editor of acceptance elsewhere.

Fiction and Creative nonfiction

Submit no more than 2 stories at a time as a Microsoft word attachment. As of now, there is no limit on pages or words. However, novel length pieces are discouraged. But please do send novellas. Previously published stories or novellas are not accepted. Simultaneous submissions are allowed as long as you notify the editor of acceptance elsewhere.

Memoirs

Submit no more than 2 memoirs at a time as a Microsoft attachment. As of now, there is no limit on pages or words. Please make sure the memoir is relevant to a uniquely southern experience. Previously published memoirs are not accepted. Simultaneous submissions are allowed as long as you notify the editor of acceptance elsewhere. We are open to our definition of "memoir", which can take the form of an essay, nonfiction piece, or a truly reflective memoir. Be creative people. We are truly seeking high-caliber work.

Photography

Send us your very best photography or artwork as an attachment (jpeg, gif, etc). We cannot accept anything via the mail at this time. We are particularly interested in featuring a photographer per issue. So, send us a link to your site, or send us 20 -30 thematically linked photographs.

***** If you are submitting in more than one genre please send separate emails. Do not mix genres in the same email. Also, except for poetry, please send only one attachment per email. In the subject line of the email put either "poetry," "fiction," "creative nonfiction/memoir," "novella," or "photography." This makes the process of reading submissions much smoother, especially when passing between editors and filing them in appropriate folders *****

Rights

Authors retain their own rights and copyright to their works. Southern Hum only requests one-time, nonexclusive rights.

Please send submissions to the editor, J. Vidrine at southern_hum@yahoo.com

Thank you and Good Luck!
 
i would just like to say that some of the e-zines i've looked at in the last couple of weeks really look good.

the graphics, the colours and type, the set out; many seem easy on the eye to view which is something i'm thankful for.

so if you're involved in website development or maintenance, well done and thank you!

:)
 
was anyone here in The Pedestal Magazine?

if you were, in one of the last 6 regular issues, you are eligible to win a readers choice award, in the form of CASH, all you need is votes from readers, like us Lit people :)


I copied this from an email they sent me,--



During the months of December and January we will be conducting our second annual "Pedestal Readers' Awards" contest. This contest will recognize three works of poetry and one work of fiction that have been published in the past six "regular" issues (issues 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30) of The Pedestal Magazine. The contest is easy: you simply vote for your favorite work in each category (poetry and fiction) by sending an email to: pedestalreadersaward@yahoo.com. If you are a current donor (or make a donation before January 31) you may vote twice. All others may vote once. Any reader (i.e. visitor to the website) is eligible to vote. The voting will take through January 31, 2006. We hope you will participate in this contest and show support for our published writers!

Past issues are accessible in the Archives section of the website.
Vote by sending an email to: pedestalreadersaward@yahoo.com.
Subject line: Pedestal Readers' Awards
Include: Writer's name and name(s) of the piece(s)

The winners will receive:
Monetary awards:
Poetry * 1st Place: $75
Poetry * 2nd Place: $50
Poetry * 3rd Place: $25
Fiction: $75

Winners will be featured in the February 2005 issue.

Pedestal Magazine


*** check out issue 28 for a beautiful poem by a Literotican. :)***
 
Last edited:
Mr. Carrington was in an issue of The Pedastal.

:)

Me, I meet the editor in a parking garage and lead him through the streets of Baltimore to his speaking engagement, even find him a free cuppa Joe and still rejected...sigh. Gives me even more faith that it is all about the poetry :)

Thanks for the heads up Maria!
 
annaswirls said:
Mr. Carrington was in an issue of The Pedastal.

:)

Me, I meet the editor in a parking garage and lead him through the streets of Baltimore to his speaking engagement, even find him a free cuppa Joe and still rejected...sigh. Gives me even more faith that it is all about the poetry :)

Thanks for the heads up Maria!


pssssstt!!! I knew that!!! :rose:

you're welcome, and it is wonderful that they are about the poetry!!! I got rejected too, but such a kind letter, made me feel good, gave me hope.

:)

ps, I posted the link to the issue he is in, and looked through all the eligible ones for more familiar names but saw none, that doesnt mean there are none tho, ..fess up if youre in there so we can vote for ya!!!
 
Last edited:
you got a kind letter, oh that is great! I think I got one where they pasted my name in a space that once said "Enter name here"


hehehee

I just read their current issue
I honest to god cannot see myself ever fitting in there!

and I am not being self-depricating. I just well, don't see it.

:kiss:

Maria2394 said:
pssssstt!!! I knew that!!! :rose:

you're welcome, and it is wonderful that they are about the poetry!!! I got rejected too, but such a kind letter, made me feel good, gave me hope.

:)

ps, I posted the link to the issue he is in, and looked through all the eligible ones for more familiar names but saw none, that doesnt mean there are none tho, ..fess up if youre in there so we can vote for ya!!!
 
annaswirls said:
you got a kind letter, oh that is great! I think I got one where they pasted my name in a space that once said "Enter name here"


hehehee

I just read their current issue
I honest to god cannot see myself ever fitting in there!

and I am not being self-depricating. I just well, don't see it.

:kiss:


That was the FIRST time!! lol, they invited me to submit again, which I did and that time I got a fill in the blank rejection letter. They do seem to be geared towards religious-type themes. I havent resubmitted, maybe I will someday, who knows, meanwhilel good luck Pat!!
 
The first issue of Barking Dogs should be available by the beginning of next week. From then on time and effort will be put into promoting it for the next couple of months, up until the Poetry International Festival when we hope to have a new second issue available.

In the meantime we are looking for submissions for the next two issues of Barking Dogs which are going to be themed issues. One is to be themed on the dark side of sexuality, this can include work discussing serious issues surrounding this theme or work that is erotic in itself. This might be a controversial combination and that is the point, in real life there are no boundaries, one merges into the other and this is what we are interested in. The second themed issue will be comedy and we are looking for work about comedy or work that is comic in itself. Which of the themed issues that will be produced first depends on the which theme we get enough material to publish first.

Let me make it clear that in the sexual themed issue we are NOT LOOKING FOR PORN and any work that we consider to be porn will not be accepted. We are however, interested in intelligent work that pushes the boundaries both in style and content. Please don't take that to mean we are not also looking for more traditional work. Barking Dogs would like to be surprised and its main criteria for having a submission accepted is quality.

If you are interested in submitting work please take a look at the Barking Dogs website first.
 
Maria2394 said:
That was the FIRST time!! lol, they invited me to submit again, which I did and that time I got a fill in the blank rejection letter. They do seem to be geared towards religious-type themes. I havent resubmitted, maybe I will someday, who knows, meanwhilel good luck Pat!!


You definately SHOULD! Which one did you send that they responded to try again? that is very cool and a very good sign you are on to something that they like. I think I am putting them on the "later, much later" category, I read their new issue and though, hmm, this place and I do not match at all" :)

Did you write back when you got the rejection? I got a rejection from 3rd Muse and wrote my thank you letter back to the editor at which time he/she wrote, by the way, your Metronome almost made it in, consider submitting it again.

I would have never known! It really really helps to write back. You get a real person on the line...

~Jenn
 
Congratulations! You must feel so good about getting this project done-- well, of course, it is never done, but... I cannot wait to see the final product, and to see the product of your next theme as well (thinking about what I can submit...)


all the best!

~jennifer

bogusbrig said:
The first issue of Barking Dogs should be available by the beginning of next week. From then on time and effort will be put into promoting it for the next couple of months, up until the Poetry International Festival when we hope to have a new second issue available.

In the meantime we are looking for submissions for the next two issues of Barking Dogs which are going to be themed issues. One is to be themed on the dark side of sexuality, this can include work discussing serious issues surrounding this theme or work that is erotic in itself. This might be a controversial combination and that is the point, in real life there are no boundaries, one merges into the other and this is what we are interested in. The second themed issue will be comedy and we are looking for work about comedy or work that is comic in itself. Which of the themed issues that will be produced first depends on the which theme we get enough material to publish first.

Let me make it clear that in the sexual themed issue we are NOT LOOKING FOR PORN and any work that we consider to be porn will not be accepted. We are however, interested in intelligent work that pushes the boundaries both in style and content. Please don't take that to mean we are not also looking for more traditional work. Barking Dogs would like to be surprised and its main criteria for having a submission accepted is quality.

If you are interested in submitting work please take a look at the Barking Dogs website first.
 
Maria2394 said:
if you were, in one of the last 6 regular issues, you are eligible to win a readers choice award, in the form of CASH, all you need is votes from readers, like us Lit people :)


I copied this from an email they sent me,--



During the months of December and January we will be conducting our second annual "Pedestal Readers' Awards" contest. This contest will recognize three works of poetry and one work of fiction that have been published in the past six "regular" issues (issues 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30) of The Pedestal Magazine. The contest is easy: you simply vote for your favorite work in each category (poetry and fiction) by sending an email to: pedestalreadersaward@yahoo.com. If you are a current donor (or make a donation before January 31) you may vote twice. All others may vote once. Any reader (i.e. visitor to the website) is eligible to vote. The voting will take through January 31, 2006. We hope you will participate in this contest and show support for our published writers!

Past issues are accessible in the Archives section of the website.
Vote by sending an email to: pedestalreadersaward@yahoo.com.
Subject line: Pedestal Readers' Awards
Include: Writer's name and name(s) of the piece(s)

The winners will receive:
Monetary awards:
Poetry * 1st Place: $75
Poetry * 2nd Place: $50
Poetry * 3rd Place: $25
Fiction: $75

Winners will be featured in the February 2005 issue.

Pedestal Magazine


*** check out issue 28 for a beautiful poem by a Literotican. :)***


Maria ( and Anna ),

Thank you for posting the link, and the nice words.

For those of you with the inclination - please consider reading the poem Maria linked . . . if you like it, consider again voting for it by sending an email with the poem's name, and mine to pedestalreadersaward@yahoo.com.

I could use the money . . . baby needs a new pair of shoes. :)

Thanks :rose:
 
Back
Top