Free association thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
HP, that was such a lovely story that I shall forgive you skipping me (and Ogg). I feel like that when I unexpectedly see a Samuel Palmer painting.

I was in one of the Parisian galleries once, too, when I heard a voice behind me say: "There she is!" It was an American accent and when I turned round I saw an elderly couple approaching one of Degas's bronze statues of a young ballet dancer. Their faces were lit up with pleasure - as if they had bumped into an old friend and a thing of beauty combined. I had a vision of them going all round Europe, perhaps the world, seeking out Degas's lovely dancers together.
:rose:

I just wish I'd had a decent camera
Seen your cat yet?

I just wish I'd had a decent camera
Seen your cat yet?

Cats that look like pin up girls...

tumblr_milwcijcFm1rhh2v5o1_500.jpg

Thomas Fitzgerald - and Gerald fits Thomas

Edward Fitzgerald Rubaiyyat of Omar Khayyam.

Awake for morning in the bowl of night
Has flung the stone that puts the stars to flight
And lo the hunter of the East has caught
The sultan's turret in a noose of light!

We’re always being told to eat more cabbage, lettuce, spinach and kale, which are universally recognised as some of the healthiest foods around.

So what are they doing in this list? Well, the fact is, leafy greens are also responsible for more than their fair share of food poisoning outbreaks, including Norovirus and E.coli. An American study published in January found that leafy greens caused more cases than any other type of food, including poultry and fish. About one in five illnesses were linked to leafy green vegetables.

Let us not forget that dogs don't do Chocolate (it's the Theobromine that screws their liver [or is it kidney?] )

We’re always being told to eat more cabbage, lettuce, spinach and kale, which are universally recognised as some of the healthiest foods around.

So what are they doing in this list? Well, the fact is, leafy greens are also responsible for more than their fair share of food poisoning outbreaks, including Norovirus and E.coli. An American study published in January found that leafy greens caused more cases than any other type of food, including poultry and fish. About one in five illnesses were linked to leafy green vegetables.

Let us not forget that dogs don't do Chocolate (it's the Theobromine that screws their liver [or is it kidney?] )

HP, that's got nothing to do with the Rubaiyyat of Omar Khayyam! And you must wash your leafy greens carefully to get the bacteria and viruses off them. Buy a salad spinner.

(This actually is the same salad spinner I have. Piglet loves it, she loves to press the button down and see the greens whizz round and sometimes she even eats them afterwards.)

salad_spinner.jpg

HP, that's got nothing to do with the Rubaiyyat of Omar Khayyam! And you must wash your leafy greens carefully to get the bacteria and viruses off them. Buy a salad spinner.

(This actually is the same salad spinner I have. Piglet loves it, she loves to press the button down and see the greens whizz round and sometimes she even eats them afterwards.)

salad_spinner.jpg

"A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread--and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness--
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!"

And not a leafy green to be found!

(Though in an earlier day, Innana always commented on Dumuzi's "growing like lettuce by the river" before he "filled her holy lap with cream.")

"A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread--and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness--
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!"

And not a leafy green to be found!

(Though in an earlier day, Innana always commented on Dumuzi's "growing like lettuce by the river" before he "filled her holy lap with cream.")

Mmm, cream! Licks whiskers.

What a verdant scene, I think we're getting back to your Dejeuner sur l'herbe, Tio.

(I'll just forestall anyone associating to Olympia now that I have a little black cat in the house! :rolleyes:)

What a verdant scene, I think we're getting back to your Dejeuner sur l'herbe, Tio.

(I'll just forestall anyone associating to Olympia now that I have a little black cat in the house! :rolleyes:)

Come, fill the Cup, and in the Fire of Spring
The Winter Garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To fly -- and Lo! the Bird is on the Wing.

:cool:

Come, fill the Cup, and in the Fire of Spring
The Winter Garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To fly -- and Lo! the Bird is on the Wing.

:cool:

Spring has sprung,
The grass has riz.
I wonder where the birdies iz?
Some say the bird is on the wing -
But that's absurd.
The wing is on the bird!

Spring has sprung,
The grass has riz.
I wonder where the birdies iz?
Some say the bird is on the wing -
But that's absurd.
The wing is on the bird!

When as the rye reach to the chin,
And chopcherry, chopcherry ripe within,
Strawberries swimming in the cream,
And schoolboys playing in the stream;
Then O, then O, then O my truelove said,
Till that time come again
She could not live a maid.

George Peele

:heart: - (this is actually a strawberry smiley)

When as the rye reach to the chin,
And chopcherry, chopcherry ripe within,
Strawberries swimming in the cream,
And schoolboys playing in the stream;
Then O, then O, then O my truelove said,
Till that time come again
She could not live a maid.

George Peele

:heart: - (this is actually a strawberry smiley)

sometimes
i feel like a priest
in a fish & chip queue
quietly thinking
as the vinegar runs through
how nice it would be
to buy supper for two

Roger McGough

sometimes
i feel like a priest
in a fish & chip queue
quietly thinking
as the vinegar runs through
how nice it would be
to buy supper for two

Roger McGough

Mmm! Fish and chips! I like the roecakes they make in one chippie in the West Midlands best. Faggots and peas are very tasty in the West Midlands too, mmm.

Mmm! Fish and chips! I like the roecakes they make in one chippie in the West Midlands best. Faggots and peas are very tasty in the West Midlands too, mmm.

Hello, Honey :)

I remember my grandmother, a five-foot-nothing Welsh woman, making the most delicious melt-in-your-mouth faggots with rich, creamy gravy.

Years later, I ordered faggots and gravy in a Welsh country house hotel. The faggots were dry and chewy, and the gravy was thin and mean. I sent the dish back to the kitchen. The waiter was most surprised. ‘Our faggots are normally very popular,’ he said as he minced off into the sunset.

Hello, Honey :)

I remember my grandmother, a five-foot-nothing Welsh woman, making the most delicious melt-in-your-mouth faggots with rich, creamy gravy.

Years later, I ordered faggots and gravy in a Welsh country house hotel. The faggots were dry and chewy, and the gravy was thin and mean. I sent the dish back to the kitchen. The waiter was most surprised. ‘Our faggots are normally very popular,’ he said as he minced off into the sunset.

:D
Hullo, Sugar. :)

All my four butchers make their own faggots. The ones in the West Midlands are large and come in a tray with fantastic onion gravy. There's one of the Welsh butchers who makes very nice small faggots - four for £1. I usually go there, cuz the four small balls just fit in one of my saucepans and I pour a tin of marrowfat peas over them so it all simmers nicely together. (I make my own chips of course when I do faggots.)

The Fella once ordered faggots in the nice bourgeois gastro cafe bar here, I knew it was a mistake. They were strange: oval shaped and smooth in texture. Two of them positioned carefully on the plate. The Fella ate them but he had the look of a small dog which has been given something it's going to be polite about.

My local butch makes faggots, and very tasty they are, too

Does he do them in a tray with onion gravy? I find it annoying that you have to buy the gravy separately here in Wales. Sometimes I pay more for the gravy than I did for the faggots! which doesn't seem right.

Does he do them in a tray with onion gravy? I find it annoying that you have to buy the gravy separately here in Wales. Sometimes I pay more for the gravy than I did for the faggots! which doesn't seem right.

Very true.
He does do them with gravy if you want.

Had a look in the Lounge Bar ?

Very true.
He does do them with gravy if you want.

Had a look in the Lounge Bar ?

I've been hanging out there with pals from Hot Arabic Chicks. We've been drinking all sorts of whiskies. I'm afraid my new friend had one on the rocks *shudders*. Not a single malt, of course. I think it was a bourbon. He's a very new friend so I was most polite and didn't say anything about it. I think I showed great restraint, don't you? He had an Old Grand Dad 114 so I shall leave an association to that here to be picked up

Garden sheds.

I've been hanging out there with pals from Hot Arabic Chicks. We've been drinking all sorts of whiskies. I'm afraid my new friend had one on the rocks *shudders*. Not a single malt, of course. I think it was a bourbon. He's a very new friend so I was most polite and didn't say anything about it. I think I showed great restraint, don't you? He had an Old Grand Dad 114 so I shall leave an association to that here to be picked up

Garden sheds.

Man caves for the green fingered :)

Man caves for the green fingered :)

btw the discussion of 'faggots' - it's also a term for gay men. So does discourse over the double entendre arise, ever? The word 'faggot (stifled lol) as food, isn't used/known in Australia. So it might just be me that sees the double entendre.
Green thumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back