Sienna's Music Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettJ's Bistro & Lounge

Come and join us!

Brett's Babe Files

Come and join us!

5821e7gdgemau6sx5.gif

Want to start or join an interesting discussion?

Brett's Bar & Lounge
5821e7gdgemau6sx5.gif

=======oooo000oooo=======

SIENNA's MUSIC LOUNGE

Requests Taken :)

=======oooo000oooo=======
TRTartRobyn021.jpg

Hello SIENNA and good early morning to you.

Many people have forgotten that David Cassidy returned with a hit song in 1990. It's a different sound, hope some like it.

David Cassidy_Lying To Myself

BrettJ in Canada

Thanks for the plug SIENNA. :kiss: :rose:

Do you know, I've never asked if there is an "oldies" song that you would particularly like to hear? I have followed some of yours with a few of my own (such as the Nat King Cole selections a few days back) but I've never asked you if there is any song you particularly have fond memories of.

This is MY all-time favorite song. This is the band that made it famous and recorded it, but the first time I ever heard it, it was being sung by the Osmonds (yes, I know - but I'm still a fan) and they still use it in their act today.

I just like the beautiful lyric and the melody and the thought behind it. Okay, I'm sappy.

The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

BrettJ in Canada

Another one of my all-time favorite songs.

Neil Sedaka - Laughter in the Rain

When this song was recorded in 1972, Neil Sedaka was a washed up 1960's singer / songwriter. Despite his career in England always doing well, he couldn't get work in the US and was considering retirement or another line of work. He had been huge in the late 1950's and early 1960's, with a string of hits like "Oh, Carol" and "Breaking Up is Hard to Do". However, with the British invasion, his Doo-Wop style was outmoded.

Sedaka caught a lucky break. One of his biggest admirers was Elton John, who signed him to Rocket Records, Elton's own label. He began working on his first album which included this song and a few others that would go on to be famous, including "Love Will Keep Us Together".

When the album, aptly called Sedaka's Back, came out, it was a monster. "Laughter in the Rain" went on to hit # 1 and Neil's career was revived. He has had charted hits in the UK as recently as a few years ago (recorded by other artists) and he still tours. I've seen him twice and he's one of those rare concert performers who sounds as good live as on record.

His opening acts were two "unknown" acts - England Dan and John Ford Coley (Dan Seals former group) and some kid named Andy Gibb.

Hope you enjoy this gorgeous melody.

BrettJ in Canada

Thanks for the plug SIENNA. :kiss: :rose:

Do you know, I've never asked if there is an "oldies" song that you would particularly like to hear? I have followed some of yours with a few of my own (such as the Nat King Cole selections a few days back) but I've never asked you if there is any song you particularly have fond memories of.

This is MY all-time favorite song. This is the band that made it famous and recorded it, but the first time I ever heard it, it was being sung by the Osmonds (yes, I know - but I'm still a fan) and they still use it in their act today.

I just like the beautiful lyric and the melody and the thought behind it. Okay, I'm sappy.

The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

BrettJ in Canada

Quite a lot of my old favourites are in the nineties and of course one of them in the time I have been on LIT :) Lady Marmalade

I love the soul based music of the eighties and nineties. But recently in particular and someone you can not deny is so amazing is Lady GaGa, her name probably inspired by the hit Lady Marmalade :)

Really? I like Patti Labelle, but was never particularly fond of that song. The Pointer Sisters were also around at that time and a lot of their stuff did little for me. Oh well, if we all had the same tastes, I would've been out of work. LOL

I did like this one, which is odd, because I don't like the other singer she is working with. In my opinion, he ruined the Doobie Brothers (I know, I'm an old fart)

Patti Labelle with Michael McDonald - On My Own

Hope life is good in Spain at the mo'!

BrettJ in Canada

PS viewers - as I watched this video, I spotted some iconic, now-gone New York landmarks. A bit eerie.

Last edited:
Really? I like Patti Labelle, but was never particularly fond of that song. The Pointer Sisters were also around at that time and a lot of their stuff did little for me. Oh well, if we all had the same tastes, I would've been out of work. LOL

I did like this one, which is odd, because I don't like the other singer she is working with. In my opinion, he ruined the Doobie Brothers (I know, I'm an old fart)

Patti Labelle with Michael McDonald - On My Own

PS viewers - as I watched this video, I spotted some iconic, now-gone New York landmarks. A bit eerie.

Anyone remember this? I'd never heard this longer version.

Stars on 45

I never would've thought that someone "your" age wouldn't know SIENNA darling...
In the days when we had records and turntables, they played at different speeds, due to the size of the record. The earliest ones - those played on phonographs - were 78's and they were made until the mid 1950's and eventually, phased out. Albums were 33 (although never called that) and singles were 45's (or, as I just said, singles - one song on each side). All three of these were RPMs, which stood for Rotations Per Minute, which is the speed at which they played.

BrettJ in Canada

I do know of these things Brett, we used some of the "trashy" songs put on vinyl discs as frisbies :) Dangerous I know, and please do not attempt this if you do come across them... :devil:

What baffled me was that 45? I really did not know it meant the rotation speed. The larger old ones we simply called "albums". These were being quickly replaced by cassettes more into the eighties. These fit the albums more conveniently.

I came across this on an old "45" ... what genre is it?

Oh Ho Ho It's Magic

The title of the song is actually "Magic" and while I'd call it rock, it is close to what would either be called "easy listening" or even "bubblegum". I own a copy, but man, hard to believe Pilot recorded that 40 years ago.

The band was from Scotland and the song charted # 1 here at one point.

BrettJ in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back