"One Night in Roanapur" by LaRascasse
"One Night in Xanadu" by Chloe Tzang
"One Night in (redacted)" by Zeb Carter
"One Night in the Big Easy" by JanusGoneAwry
"One Night in Roswell" by TxRad
"One Night in Mordor" by SimonDoom
"One Night in Gotham" by Bramblethorn
"One Night in Dubai" by LoquiSordidaAdMe
"One Night in Bilbala" by RubenR (a bedbug infested, flea and rat ridden dive...)
"One Night in Dzamin Ude (subtitled, "One Night on a Slow Moving Train") by ElectricBlue66
"One Night in Paris" by YDB95
"One Night on Arrakis" by Voboy (Authorized exception to "in")
"One Night in Taipei" by rebel_code
"One Night in the Bronx" by gunhilltrain
"One Night in Singapore" by JugheadJane
"One Night in Houston" (or something like that) by RetroFan
"One Night in Prague" by AmoryParks
"One Night In Poughkeepsie" by SolarRay
"One Night in Los Diablos" by UnityMitford
“One Night in Gormaz” by NotWise
“One Night in Shelbyville, Indiana” by JBEdwards
“One Night in Faro” by gordo12
"One Night In Detroit" by MelissaBaby
"One Night In Baton Rouge" by yukonnights
"One Night in Toronto" by TANSTAAFL58

One Night in Riga.

It's not a lot of chance I will get it done, but I got an outline in my head, and if I tell it aloud, maybe I feel compelled to actually write...

One question though: how far off the city centre I can wander away in the agglomeration?

The resort, accurately but unimaginatively named Jūrmala [literally: sea side], often (and almost always by foreigners) called Rīgas Jūrmala [so "Riga's Seaside," or "Seaside of Riga"], is technically, geographically and administratively a separate town, but kind of inseparable in perception and history. It also features one of the very few beaches (a tiny fragment of the continuous 300 kilometers of gorgeous white sand beach) where skinny dipping is actually prohibited, but I of course want to do just that... but it's back and forth foray, starting in the very heart of the old town Riga, and returning there afterwards, to finally go to inner suburbia on the other side for a morning slumber.

One Night in Riga.

It's not a lot of chance I will get it done, but I got an outline in my head, and if I tell it aloud, maybe I feel compelled to actually write...

One question though: how far off the city centre I can wander away in the agglomeration?

The resort, accurately but unimaginatively named Jūrmala [literally: sea side], often (and almost always by foreigners) called Rīgas Jūrmala [so "Riga's Seaside," or "Seaside of Riga"], is technically, geographically and administratively a separate town, but kind of inseparable in perception and history. It also features one of the very few beaches (a tiny fragment of the continuous 300 kilometers of gorgeous white sand beach) where skinny dipping is actually prohibited, but I of course want to do just that... but it's back and forth foray, starting in the very heart of the old town Riga, and returning there afterwards, to finally go to inner suburbia on the other side for a morning slumber.

Go with the broad brush approach. If everyone thinks of it as Riga, that’s good enough. There’s no need to be dogmatic. It’s like So many cities, you can get real specific but I don’t think we need to be that finicky.

But, but, but, I kinda did, but it has to be redacted...

Oooohhhhh that's right. I think you're going to have to work a few clues in. Maybe the name of the airport? Or mention tuk-tuks, or something like that. Or what was that old Vietnam war era redlight district where the short-time hotels were? Sort an of accidental slip. And the humidity.

Thanks for searching gunhilltrain. These were the only things that came up in my search too. Assuming Lakeshore Auditorium was on Lakeshore drive put my guessed at location as part of the LSU campus. With what Chloe found, I need to get closer to the capital building. Really appreciate your help though!!!

By the process of elimination it probably was on the site now occupied by those newer government buildings on the west side of the lake (Louisiana Department of Insurance, etc.). There is a street called Dunbar Avenue running through there. It definitely is close to the capitol building.

By the process of elimination it probably was on the site now occupied by those newer government buildings on the west side of the lake (Louisiana Department of Insurance, etc.). There is a street called Dunbar Avenue running through there. It definitely is close to the capitol building.

Yeah, it's between downtown and the capital near the river...close enough. I've been spying on Baton Rouge with satellite images on MapQuest...I'll send the exact target coordinates to Chloe once the computer spits 'em out ;) I'll take a peek at Dunbar Ave. Thanks again for your help.

Oooohhhhh that's right. I think you're going to have to work a few clues in. Maybe the name of the airport? Or mention tuk-tuks, or something like that. Or what was that old Vietnam war era redlight district where the short-time hotels were? Sort an of accidental slip. And the humidity.

Maybe I'll do that. I did mention there was jungle around the village. But the mission was classified and still is to this day.

Last edited:
I might write something.
Ditto. Maybe.

No spiffy location has yet jelled in my soggy mind. And nights can be very short or long, same as my memory. One Night in Tonga Trench lasts as long as the air supply. One Night in Warhol's Factory lasts till the hallucinations end. One Night in Nome in December lasts weeks. One Night in Alcatraz could end in escape.

Still a quandary. Los Angeles? Oaxaca? Bisbee? Heidelberg? Waikiki? Amalfi? Machu Picchu? Perth? Mecca? So many places and lies...

I still have two months to get my alleged mind in gear. Waiting is.

One Night in Riga.
I wrote a song Nude Surfing In Riga a couple decades ago, right after the Loma Prieta earthquake. No connection.

Last edited:
Bisbee.

You know you wanna.
I have many Bisbee tales to tell, new and old. You know the phrase, "Stuck between a rock and a hard place?" That's about Bisbee a century ago, when thousands of striking miners were kidnapped and dumped in a distant desert. Bisbee back then was the biggest and richest city between New Orleans and San Francisco. Access to Bisbee now is via the Time Tunnel under the mineral-rich Mule Mountains, formerly the world's biggest copper deposit. (It ain't all been mined out yet.)

Time Tunnel? The twentyfirst century is on one side; Bisbee time is on the other. Schoolkids used to snag loose burros to ride to school and back home. Now a cheap bus does the trick, and Mexico is nearby, with cheap farmacias.

The world's first military air bombardment occurred there. A merc was hired to bomb Mexican federal troops during the 1911 revolution but he hit the US side of the border instead. Hit the warehouse where the federal general's Rolls-Royce was stored, so I guess that was a victory.

Oh yeah, sex in Bisbee. Not only bars and brothels in Brewery Gulch. Many hippies, yippies, drippies, free-love outlaws, and fast-fleeing fuckers whose transport broke down there so they stayed. They call themselves artists.

Bisbee, yeah, probably. The trick is deciding which night deserves a story.

A very productive weekend for me. I'm up to 2k words, and my female lead has finally been introduced. But even better, I've come up with my 60 character tag line...

One Night in Dubai
Escaping the City of Gold becomes an International Incident

Yeah, that should do nicely.

"One Night in Taipei (Dub Version)" is more or less done. I'm now down to adding more local color and polishing the prose a bit more. I've added some new minor characters and made them speak (briefly), and more backstory for and sympathy with my main characters. Got rid of the deadly opening wall of exposition too. It's at minimum 100% better than the original.

I've found one question though. For those in the know: is there a possible issue with Lit with using a real hotel as a setting for events (e.g. sex)? It occurs to me because I have had a fake street address (in a fictional city) and fake (555-) phone number stripped out of a story before, which took me by surprise. If that's not allowed, it's easy to use indirection, but I'd rather know in front. Thanks!

I've found one question though. For those in the know: is there a possible issue with Lit with using a real hotel as a setting for events (e.g. sex)?
I've had no such trouble with actual hotels and sites. I sometimes shield restaurant and store names as they may go defunct fast. (So I mention but don't name a seafood palace near the Golden Gate.) But naming the Hilton on Union Square in San Francisco, or La Fonda in Santa Fe, or the classic retro trailer park in Bisbee AZ, or freaky Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo CA, no problem. I think I cited the Hotel Victoria in Taxco, Mexico too. With hot sex. And no complaints.

I've found one question though. For those in the know: is there a possible issue with Lit with using a real hotel as a setting for events (e.g. sex)? It occurs to me because I have had a fake street address (in a fictional city) and fake (555-) phone number stripped out of a story before, which took me by surprise. If that's not allowed, it's easy to use indirection, but I'd rather know in front. Thanks!

Nope. I use actual places all the time. There have been times when I've used fake places and folks have scolded me because they went looking for them and didn't find them among the actual places I had included.

No responses from Lit., but once I got a call from the Jordanian embassy in the country I was in because I'd noted in a newspaper travel piece that I knew the King of Jordan was pro-American because he had an American Standard toilet in his withdrawing suite at the Grand Mosque in Amman (it's cherry red). Not much they could say, though, because it's there and I've used it.

For the rare times I need a phone number I use the one in the 1981 song by Tommy Tutone. I figure it was "ruined" a long time ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny

"In 1982, Southwest Junior High School received up to two hundred calls daily asking for Jenny in area code 704."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTdTwcmxyo

And... as of Monday the 18th.... with the latest additions

"One Night in Hedonism, Jamaica" by silkstockingslover
"One Night in Riga," by LupusDei
"One Night in Montreal" by BurntRedstone

"One Night in San Francisco" by KeithD
"One Night in Roanapur" by LaRascasse
"One Night in Xanadu" by Chloe Tzang
"One Night in (redacted)" by Zeb Carter
"One Night in the Big Easy" by JanusGoneAwry
"One Night in Roswell" by TxRad
"One Night in Mordor" by SimonDoom
"One Night in Gotham" by Bramblethorn
"One Night in Dubai" (Escaping the City of Gold becomes an International Incident) by LoquiSordidaAdMe
"One Night in Bilbala" by RubenR (a bedbug infested, flea and rat ridden dive...)
"One Night in Dzamin Ude (subtitled, "One Night on a Slow Moving Train") by ElectricBlue66
"One Night in Paris" by YDB95
"One Night on Arrakis" by Voboy (Authorized exception to "in")
"One Night in Taipei" by rebel_code
"One Night in the Bronx" by gunhilltrain
"One Night in Singapore" by JugheadJane
"One Night in Houston" (or something like that) by RetroFan
"One Night in Prague" by AmoryParks
"One Night In Poughkeepsie" by SolarRay
"One Night in Los Diablos" by UnityMitford
“One Night in Gormaz” by NotWise
“One Night in Shelbyville, Indiana” by JBEdwards
“One Night in Faro” by gordo12
"One Night In Detroit" by MelissaBaby
"One Night In Baton Rouge" by yukonnights
"One Night in Toronto" by TANSTAAFL58

Last edited:
...and I, meanwhile, am out. The muses just weren’t having it.

Arrakis may live on, though. I’m in negotiations with Chloe to take over the Atreides banner and go on to victory.

Count me in or I can submit it now. One Night in New York City!
If you submit now it will get lost in the normal story churn, and probably won't get on the anthology listings. I'd submit in the time-frame requested, to make it easier for Laurel.

Back