What (if anything) else do you write?

Just curious if I’m alone in being a many splendored author! I write a ton of things all over the place: poetry, personal essays, short stories, creative nonfiction, not including anything for school. I mostly like pondering current issues and how people work. This is mostly stress ball writing to help me get out of the dark and serious zone and have a little fun.

Just curious if I’m alone in being a many splendored author! I write a ton of things all over the place: poetry, personal essays, short stories, creative nonfiction, not including anything for school. I mostly like pondering current issues and how people work. This is mostly stress ball writing to help me get out of the dark and serious zone and have a little fun.

I write and edit a lot, but that is all technical.

Espionage, inspirational, cozies, murder mysteries, essays, propaganda analysis, analysis on terrorism, historical novels, biblical studies, short stories, publishing guides, poetry, plays. travel, drama reviews . . .

I've only ever written stuff for Literotica so far. Ive edited a military history book published by Pen and Sword books in the U.K. (Long story behind that one), edited a thriller and right now I'm editing a book for someone else. I live to write hot erotica tho - If it doesn't have hot sex, not interested. Much.

I've only ever written stuff for Literotica so far. Ive edited a military history book published by Pen and Sword books in the U.K. (Long story behind that one), edited a thriller and right now I'm editing a book for someone else. I live to write hot erotica tho - If it doesn't have hot sex, not interested. Much.

I expect you write nursing reports as well. Do you ever get creative?

I expect you write nursing reports as well. Do you ever get creative?

Never. Straight clinical. I'm too junior to get away with anything. And if anything happens... you don't want any possibility of being misinterpreted. Better to be boring and stick to the expected. All my creative writing so far is here.

Screenplays, pilots and on the mundane side, I run the marketing for a start-up MSP (IT services provider) and I write all the web content, advertising materials, proposals and general correspondence.

Technical papers, mostly. Today I'm writing non-fiction in the form of job applications.

In the past I wrote manuals for software applications; rules, regulations and instructions for a large company including estate management, human resources etc. My publications list - that is items printed and distributed internally and externally for use - covered three A4 pages as a single-spaced list of titles.

In my early career I wrote answers for Parliamentary Questions for my employer but what I wrote was almost unrecognisable by the time the drafts had been hacked about by my superiors.

In my community life I am the local acknowledged expert at writing constitutions and procedural rules for local clubs, societies, and community trusts. I think that eight of my constitutions are still in use in an unmodified form and two have been amended, with my input, to take account of changes in charity law.

Hugely dull and droning Clinical Review notes, detailed Surgical Technique Appraisals for my 4 students (2 2nd year med students and 2 Family Practitioners training for their Surgical Qualification), Post-Operative assessments, appraisals, and follow-up notes, and the (very) occasional article for various medical journals.

Last edited:
As an aside:

Years ago I enrolled for an Adult Education Course on Creative Writing. At the first session the tutor asked if any of us had had work published. A couple had written letters to the local papers. The tutor knew the local papers had published dozens of mine as spokesperson for a Residents' Association. She left asking me until last.

"Have you had anything else, other than letters, published [Og]?"

I didn't want to answer but she asked again. I admitted to hundreds of technical publications including some text books. She couldn't or wouldn't understand that there is a considerable difference between writing technical manuals and creative writing. For the first few weeks she would say something and follow it by "Unless [Og] knows better."

It was irritating, not just for me but for the fellow students. Eventually I stopped going to the classes because her inferiority complex was awkward. She had had two children's stories published in a magazine for younger children.

After I had left I upset her even more. The local writing society ran an annual competition for short stories and poetry. She had entered both, as she had done for the past decade. She had recommended that all her students entered. They and I did. Like every year her story and poem were again unplaced. I won third prize with my story and got a 'commended' but no prize for my poem.

However I had learned some things from her about planning and plotting stories. What she was teaching was useful and very helpful for beginners.

A few years later, about 2003, I enrolled on another creative writing course with a different tutor who knew me personally. The new tutor knew that I had posted on Literotica and had a look at some of my stories. She was shocked, not by my stories, but the content of other writers' stories on Lit.

However, again, she taught me some useful techniques and the group had extended discussions about our stories. She would set homework e.g. write 500 words about a place you know and like; write a 500 word story about a brief meeting between old friends. I was the only student who consistently produced the homework, so most weeks my recent writing was the topic of discussion. Other students had tried and failed, or not attempted the homework.

When I wanted to move on from the basic course to the advanced course, she told me not to. I already knew more than I would have learned in the 13-week course. Most of those enrolling on the advanced course had been my fellow students on the basic course. She hoped, if I was not in the class, that the others might actually DO more writing and less talking about [Og's] latest homework.

She was right. One of that year's students has now published two children's books. Another has been involved in writing some local history pamphlets.

But I upset the second tutor too. She (and the first tutor) entered the local writing competition again. Neither of them succeeded but I got another 'commended' this time for a story.

I am grateful to both tutors for teaching me about creative writing even though they thought I didn't need teaching about writing.

As an aside:

Years ago I enrolled for an Adult Education Course on Creative Writing. At the first session the tutor asked if any of us had had work published. A couple had written letters to the local papers. The tutor knew the local papers had published dozens of mine as spokesperson for a Residents' Association. She left asking me until last.

"Have you had anything else, other than letters, published [Og]?"

I didn't want to answer but she asked again. I admitted to hundreds of technical publications including some text books. She couldn't or wouldn't understand that there is a considerable difference between writing technical manuals and creative writing. For the first few weeks she would say something and follow it by "Unless [Og] knows better."

It was irritating, not just for me but for the fellow students. Eventually I stopped going to the classes because her inferiority complex was awkward. She had had two children's stories published in a magazine for younger children.

After I had left I upset her even more. The local writing society ran an annual competition for short stories and poetry. She had entered both, as she had done for the past decade. She had recommended that all her students entered. They and I did. Like every year her story and poem were again unplaced. I won third prize with my story and got a 'commended' but no prize for my poem.

However I had learned some things from her about planning and plotting stories. What she was teaching was useful and very helpful for beginners.

A few years later, about 2003, I enrolled on another creative writing course with a different tutor who knew me personally. The new tutor knew that I had posted on Literotica and had a look at some of my stories. She was shocked, not by my stories, but the content of other writers' stories on Lit.

However, again, she taught me some useful techniques and the group had extended discussions about our stories. She would set homework e.g. write 500 words about a place you know and like; write a 500 word story about a brief meeting between old friends. I was the only student who consistently produced the homework, so most weeks my recent writing was the topic of discussion. Other students had tried and failed, or not attempted the homework.

When I wanted to move on from the basic course to the advanced course, she told me not to. I already knew more than I would have learned in the 13-week course. Most of those enrolling on the advanced course had been my fellow students on the basic course. She hoped, if I was not in the class, that the others might actually DO more writing and less talking about [Og's] latest homework.

She was right. One of that year's students has now published two children's books. Another has been involved in writing some local history pamphlets.

But I upset the second tutor too. She (and the first tutor) entered the local writing competition again. Neither of them succeeded but I got another 'commended' this time for a story.

I am grateful to both tutors for teaching me about creative writing even though they thought I didn't need teaching about writing.

I've always had an interest in writing. Unfortunately it has taken a long time to learn. I left school basically illiterate. Luckily multi choice questions were introduced into exams, but not with English. I learned essays and simply wrote them. If my learned essay wasn't appropriate to any question I would get a " G"

I was told of a book on reading comprehension that was being written and I submitted about 50 stories for that. They were different and acceptable with a lot of editing. I've worked at it. At work I wrote a lot of stuff. Not enjoyable but it could be interesting. I wrote a lot of a procedure manual.

I now write children's stories and the absurd. I hope to base a tourist venture on it and other things. I go through phases when I love illustrating them. It is too infrequent though.

Let's see, besides here...I write science fiction, action/adventure. I have written novella, short stories, anthologies. Have written technical manuals.

I have written other languages...Fortran, COBOL, RPG, Basic, PB Script, SQL. ;)

Most of my writing is technical ... owner's manuals for various products, synopses of articles for briefings, and like that. I've also tried my hand at poetry, song-writing, and such, but I know I'm not very good at it, so I do it for fun, like my erotica.

I write science fiction, action/adventure, romance, detective, even YA.
(Zeb, Fortran, COBOL, RPG, Basic, PB Script, SQL okay, but you need to update to PL/I, Forth, hell, even Python.)

I write science fiction, action/adventure, romance, detective, even YA.
(Zeb, Fortran, COBOL, RPG, Basic, PB Script, SQL okay, but you need to update to PL/I, Forth, hell, even Python.)

My first programs were written for a punch card driven IBM 1401 in IBM's SPS until I found that writing programs in machine code made them work faster.

I wrote dozens of motorcycle design and telemetry programs in Forth on a TRS-80 Color Computer (!) in the early 80s. It was faster and cheaper to learn Forth and write useable programs than to have them written by programmers who didn't know motorcycle engineering. HIGHLY underrated language. Compilers available for Win10, Mac (I think) and Linux.

rj

My first programs were written for a punch card driven IBM 1401 in IBM's SPS until I found that writing programs in machine code made them work faster.

Machine (Assembler level} code is faster, but difficult to have maintained.

Reckon so.

I've written a few short stories, few poems, mostly with either an occult or sci-fi theme. The only times I get to myself nowadays are not enough to write in the way I naturally do, however. This method that I always had was to sit and look out of the window a few hours, watch the trees blowing wild against the night landscape, then sit down and it comes pouring out quite naturally.

It's just a question of no longer having the time to do that with my current rushed lifestyle.

My day job involves editing, lots of editing, but rarely any writing.

I’d love one day to write a sci-if/fantasy epic and have it all outlined, but right now erotica writing is more immediately appealing - possibly because I can tell myself this is for fun, whereas writing the other thing with a goal of actually getting it published seems a little too much like work!

I write bad jokes. Every bad joke you ever heard was prob'ly written by me.

When I was a wise-cracking graduate student in math, I wrote a series of murder mysteries where the sleuth was a wise-cracking graduate student in math. I adapted the first one as a play, which is the only thing I've ever copyrighted. I also wrote a couple of Quantum Leap fanfictions. (In one of my erotic serials, I considered having Sam leap into one of my characters.)

Back