Dark Receiver

Approbation was sweet ... but was only to be enjoyed fleetingly.

"Oh bravo people, bravo! I want an encore and I want it now."


Glen didn't have a reputation as a hard task master for nothing. But it was the way he demanded more and more of them that soon had them moving swiftly to get into position once again.

"Just like that, I want you do it again just like that. If you can not conjure up love for a person, then use love of anything else you know. Reading, music...Theater. Just imagine that love, intensify it in your mind and then it will find it's way into your play. Then see this love having to leave, yet you wish it not to. See this love taken from you."

She listened avidly to his notes and nodded.

"You do not have to know love to act love, it can easily be duplicated, but if you believe it even if you don't know it, then you have a real fighting chance."


She never thought that she'd lose to aspiration to impress Glen.

"Prince! Do the honors if you so please."

And so they ran though the scene once more ... and then reviewed the whole of that final act until finally the cast were dismissed. Claire hadn't had the time to give the contract a thought, but as she moved wearily towards her bag, she wondered if at last she would be able to afford to move out and truly become independent ...
 
It had been a long day, but he was pleased, things was actually going pretty well, he had collected his stuff and stood at the door, greeting the last of the actors to leave, to his surprise Claire was the last. He gave her a smile,

"Hey Claire, how is the arm holding up?"

He closed and locked the doors behind them,

"Hope I haven't put you off of the theater yet, I would really like to see you up on that stage."
 

"Hey Claire, how is the arm holding up?"


Glen's question caught Claire by surprise.

"The arm? Ohh.. fine... I'd forgotten all about it ... "

She watched him lock up.

"Hope I haven't put you off of the theater yet, I would really like to see you up on that stage."

She shook her head.

"Not yet ... I'm still trying hard to get myself up there... "

It had been a hard day, but she had thrived on the challenge.

"Well, I'd best head back to the Capulets ... "

She told him regretfully. It really was going to be difficult to keep heading home and being dragged down by her parents when she was doing what she'd always wanted to do with her life.
 
He nodded,

"I'll walk you to the stop."

He glanced at his watch,

"Can't let you stand around there at this time of the afternoon, never know what slinky dog might find you to be a nice meal"

He walked with her to the bus stop,

"You will never find yourself up on that stage, you will only find what you love doing."

He smiled,

"It is the love for what we do that brings me back time after time. I've studied a lot of things after leaving school. Fencing, self-defense, some martial arts, archery, heavens I even took shooting classes. But after all is said and done, being on that stage and making the people love or hate me..."

He sighed,

"You don't get anything better than that. I found myself outside of the theater, yet it only made me a better actor. So I would say that it is better to find yourself where you are happiest, if it so happens to be the theater it's just so much better."

He paused,

"Or did I misunderstand and you meant you are working to get yourself onto the stage?"
 
"I'll walk you to the stop. Can't let you stand around there at this time of the afternoon, never know what slinky dog might find you to be a nice meal"

She let him walk with her.

"I'm sure I'd be ok ... but thanks ... "

She smiled as they walked stood companionably.

"You will never find yourself up on that stage, you will only find what you love doing. It is the love for what we do that brings me back time after time. I've studied a lot of things after leaving school. Fencing, self-defense, some martial arts, archery, heavens I even took shooting classes. But after all is said and done, being on that stage and making the people love or hate me...
You don't get anything better than that. I found myself outside of the theater, yet it only made me a better actor. So I would say that it is better to find yourself where you are happiest, if it so happens to be the theater it's just so much better."


Claire nodded as they walk and let him talk, curious to learn more about Glen.

"Or did I misunderstand and you meant you are working to get yourself onto the stage?"


"Something like that ... "


She giggled.

"But you know I'm always interested in your ... advice ... "

She told him.

" ... I need all the help I can get I think ... "
 
"Psh!"

He waved at her last words like they were bothersome flies, he actually mimed hitting a few of them and then pulling out a gun and shooting the rest.

"My advice is only as random and meandering as my own experience, you want to get good advice you should listen to the old guys. Now they can tell you what it's all about."

He grinned,

"Of course at the age Elron and me started, we are not that far behind, we really rocked the school plays."

He chuckled as the came to the bus stop and leaned against the one support beam.
 
Claire smiled as Glen dismissed her words the laughed at his dramatic mime marvelling how sometimes he was the intense director and at other times ... he was ... hilarious ... funny and ... an intriguing mix of character that fascinated her she realised.

"My advice is only as random and meandering as my own experience, you want to get good advice you should listen to the old guys. Now they can tell you what it's all about."

Claire nodded distractedly distracted by her thoughts of Glen than his words.

"Of course at the age Elron and me started, we are not that far behind, we really rocked the school plays."

She laughed with him.

"I almost envy the friendship you and Elron have ... "

She told him as she glanced up the road and then back at him.

"I never really made close friends ... and we've moved house a couple of times ... "

Her dad had always been the main wage earner, so when he changed jobs the family had had to relocate ... it wasn't that she had been a loner, Claire made freinds easily enough, but had no one around her who had known her since childhood or who knew her really well.

"I did a few school plays though ... "

She commented.
 
He nodded,

"Well now you will do even better than a school play, what happens from there totally depends on you and how far you are willing to drive yourself to get what you want."

He checked his watch,

"Looks like the ten thirty is running late tonight. Oh well gives me more time to look cool standing next to a pretty lady."

He grinned at her,

"I seem to get this distinct impression that something is up. I mean freak accidents does happen, that is true, but not as many as we have had in the theater lately and that cast member whom I can't remember walking around in costume really troubles me at times..."

He paused,

"Do you believe in ghosts?"
 
"Well now you will do even better than a school play, what happens from there totally depends on you and how far you are willing to drive yourself to get what you want."

Claire considered his words. How much was she wililng to tackle the opposition she faced at home? If only she could move out. And if she were located nearer to the theatre she would no longer need to be a slave to the dreaded bus service.

"Looks like the ten thirty is running late tonight. Oh well gives me more time to look cool standing next to a pretty lady."

She knew he was teasing, but she blushed and covered her confusion by rechecking the timetable.

"I seem to get this distinct impression that something is up."

The change in his tone drew her attention instantly.

"I mean freak accidents does happen, that is true, but not as many as we have had in the theater lately and that cast member whom I can't remember walking around in costume really troubles me at times..."

Life was definitely full of accidents. Even when she was a school she had known families affected by tragedy... but as to the cast member ... she wasn't sure who Glen was talking about ...

"Do you believe in ghosts?"

He seemed to be serious, so Claire considered the question.

"Yes ... I think I do ... why?"

She gave an involuntary shiver.

"This isn't the Scottish play we're rehearsing ... theatres are full of rumours and stories of phantoms and such like ... "

She found herself trying to avoid the seriousness of Glen's comments.

"What cast member...? "

She conceded finally.

"Who... what ... have you seen?"
 
He shook his head,

"He is wearing a costume, he is always either in the background or will be standing next to you when you least expect it, acting all normal like."

He shrugged,

"I have checked, he is not one of our members, after closing up there is nobody else and he doesn't move out along with you lot. I have no idea what to make of it. I will probably figure out the costume tomorrow when we start checking out the costumes for this play."

The bus approached and he pushed himself away from the support column,

"But don't worry about it OK?"

The buss stopped with a hiss and he watched as she got on board, waving farewell as he turned and headed back to the theater building where his bike stood.
 
"He is wearing a costume, he is always either in the background or will be standing next to you when you least expect it, acting all normal like."

Her eyes widened, as Glen continued.

"I have checked, he is not one of our members, after closing up there is nobody else and he doesn't move out along with you lot. I have no idea what to make of it. I will probably figure out the costume tomorrow when we start checking out the costumes for this play."

Not only had he seen this 'ghost', but had actually been checking up on the 'apparition'... But, the arrival of the bus prevented her from further question or comment.

"But don't worry about it OK?"

It was too strange, yet how could she totally forget about what had said?
With a smile and a wave, Claire got on board.

"See you tomorrow ... "

She managed before the bus carried her back to the Capulet confines.

She was tired, Claire realised as she stared sightlessly out of the bus window at the passing surroundings. It wasn’t that the distance between her house and the theatre was too great, but the timetabling of the bus service did not entirely meet her needs in timing or frequency. She sighed wearily anticipating the atmosphere in the house she had to return to. In her bag sat the swathe of papers of her contract. She had had no time to look through them even briefly and wondered who she could approach for advice re: the terms and legal implications.

All too soon the bus pulled up at her stop and she could delay her return home no longer. Letting herself in Claire found her mother hovering.

”All alright? Hungry?”

Claire forced a smile.

”Fine mum … sure … I’ll be right down…“

Reluctantly she stowed her bag safely in her bedroom before returning downstairs again as quickly as possible.

”Good day, Claire..?”

His good natured query took her by surprise.

”Great thanks… tiring but … good …”

She told him as she sat at the table to tackle the pasta dish put before her.
As she ate, Claire was certain that there were whispered words and signals exchanged between her parents, but when Claire looked in their direction they met her gaze almost benevolently and showed no indications of the recent stress and opposition that had characterised their interactions lately. Though there was a niggling suspicion that she was missing something, Claire was relieved with the new found truce which seemed to reign on the household and spent most of the evening with her parents reminiscing about childhood holidays, cousins she had known when she was little and even the house they had lived in when she attended the local village infant school.

It was quite late when she finally went to bed. Only then did she realise that she had not even read the contract through once! Drawing it from her bag she skimmed over the paragraphs until she finally found the salary amount. To her it seemed a fortune, but Glen had suggested that it might be used towards studies and of course living costs. Perhaps she should offer more to her parents now that she would be on a wage? Fleetingly the idea of moving out or even getting herself a bike or scooter to help her get to and from the theatre entered her head, but she dismissed them not wanting to upset the fragile peace that had seemed to descend on the household. Tomorrow she decided she would consider asking Elron for advice about the contract as there was no one else she
could really approach …

The murmur of her parents’ voices was still audible from downstairs as Claire drifted to sleep …
 
The next day found Glen early at the theater as usual, sweating his two duelists, he had dressed in his usual black, only on the back of his black shirt stood the words: Glen Kane Productions and underneath it the classical sad and happy masks used to indicate theater. As the others started to arrive he was glad to see his two students actually grasped the art of the rapier! Things was definitely coming to an end and it was still early days of the production. He stopped the two before they could actually exhaust themselves and not be able to act. He waited for everybody to get coffee, tea or water and gather around to look at him. He got on the stage and clapped his hands to get everybody's attention,

"Alright people, today we do preliminary, if you lied about the size of clothing you wear, today I will find out if you wasted my money or not. I dearly hope nobody had gone on a binge, I will make you pay for your costume and fit you into a corset which will make our Juliet pass out."
 
Claire left the house without incident. Far from it in fact, her parents seemd almost cheerful as they waved her off. The journey too went well which led Claire to muse if at last there were something "auspicious in her stars" today.

Coffee in hand Claire gathered round at Glen's instructions

"Alright people, today we do preliminary, if you lied about the size of clothing you wear, today I will find out if you wasted my money or not."

Claire noticed the good natured ribbing some of those around her were exchanging and watched Abigail roll her eyes in response.

"I dearly hope nobody had gone on a binge, I will make you pay for your costume and fit you into a corset which will make our Juliet pass out."

They laughed at that, all eyes moving in her direction, but Claire felt at ease amongst them and happily loitered with her fellow cast members curious as to what she would actually be wearing.

For the moment all thoughts of a theatre ghost hadn't even entered her mind ...
 
"OK..."

A huge hanging trolley was wheeled onto stage,

"I want each one to come forward, in order of appearance and check out your costume. Claire yours is on special order, you will have to ask Abigail where it is."

He tapped on his watch,

"Fast as possible, but orderly as well. We are not some kindergarten group."

He turned and jumped from the stage, taking his usual seat with the notes on his lap.
 
"OK ... I want each one to come forward, in order of appearance and check out your costume."

Claire eyed the trolley curiously, but Glen's voice drew her attention.

"Claire yours is on special order, you will have to ask Abigail where it is."

Curiouser and curiouser Claire thought and turned towards Abigail.

"What do you know about my costumes?"

She asked her friend as Glen urged the others to move in a quick and orderly fashion.

Intrigued, Claire allowed Abigail to take the lead, glancing at Glen apparently working on his notes and wondered how he had interpreted a young Juliet's costume at home, at the party, at night and then later for the marriage and bedroom scene and finally the death scenes. Only now did she realise that she might indeed have various costume changes to deal with and wondered how Glen had planned to deal with that.
 
Abigail led Claire to a side door, which opened to a supply room, hanging there was three dresses, the first a pale blue with bright green trimmings, the demure sleeves billowing out but also the open back and the tastefully open cut of the front accentuated more than flaunted. The skirt of the dress had several slips to ease her movement and with the right turns, show off some leg.

The second dress had a golden sheen to it, it looked very formal, yet again the open back and cleverly cocealed slits in the skirt and sleeves went about the fact that Glen had something more in mind than the old formal clothings. The third dress was white, with pearl and a few sequences worked into the bodice, the skirt fell open to one side, revealing another skirt underneath, the white silk rustled gently under the touch. Abigail looked quite proud with her handiwork
 
Abigail gave no answer, but took great pleasure in leading Claire to the supply room to the side of the stage. One by one Abigail took out the dresses, each of them beautiful and so original in design. Clare glanced at Abigail as she admired them and allowed the woman to explain about the skirts and the cuts and the intended effect each would give to the scenes.

"When Glen said special order I thought he had sent out to a costumier ... I never expected such wonderful craftsmanship ... "

She noted the woman's blush.

"Oh... Oh my God ... you did this didn't you?! You made all of these!?!"

Clare was incredulous and set to re-examining each dress once more marvelling afresh at the amount of skill that had gone into each.

"Abigail... they're incredible ... I know these were produced for Glen but... thank you ... "

She hugged Abigail and frowned at the raising of voices on the stage beyond.

"I'd best get into one of these I guess... "

Claire realised belatedly.

It was only a few minutes after most of the cast were kitted up that Claire returned to the stage dressed in the first pale blue gown. She had let her hair lose from the pony tail and let it hang lose about her shoulders considering that to be a more approprite look, but in truth not knowing just how Glen wanted to style her for this production.
 
When Claire came onto the stage he was dumbfounded, he had expected for her to look good even beautiful, he had not expected this. She looked stunning, he decided that for the house and party scenes her hair had to stay down, only for the wedding and funeral would there be some work done to her hair. He finally snapped out of the spell and got back onto the stage.

"Places everyone."

He waited for everybody to take their places, Glen turned to face the empty theater, his voice carried easily,

"Ladies and gentlemen..."
 
There was alot of mutual comments made between cast members and many admiring comments about Claire's gown, however she was careful to give the credit to Abigail. Elron and she exchanged glances of approval, but Glen it seemed made no specific comments, but seemed to take on the 'look' of the ensemble in general. From the expression on his face, she guessed that he was already visualising props and scenery. She admired his ability to take in 'the bigger picture'.

"Places everyone."

And then it was back to work. On Glen's cue Claire headed off stage to await her scene with Abigail as the nurse and Lady Capulet and watched from the side as the opening fight scene played out ...
 
He went to his seat and looked on, with the costumes and the minimal set pieces already in place, it was quite entertaining. Here and there somebody read from a card, or had to struggle for a line, but to have gotten this far on their fourth day was a mayor accomplishment for Glen. Perhaps he could use this cast for Macbeth, the cursed play, but he did not believe it to be cursed, it was only the way that it was perceived due to the witches.

The scenes flowed quite well and then came the fight scene after the wedding, Mercutio got killed and Romeo banished, now the one evening for the two star crossed lovers and the following morning and Glen had his fingers crossed for Claire, he really hope she got it right.
 
Claire didn't get a chance to speak to Elron much less ask him about her contract as Glen was pushing them through the scenes hard and fast. Everyone seemed on their game and the pace seemed to give a real feeling of purpose to the acting.

Claire had moved into the auditorium to watch the due scene and death of Mercutio. She had yet to get to know the actor playing Tybalt as she did not have any scenes directly with him even though he was supposed to be her beloved cousin. She wasn't sure what made her check her phone or pull up the text. Again and again she checked the message and judging she had just enough time, Claire slipped out into the corriodor of the theatre where she had queued for the audition and placed the call ...

She was only just in time to take her place for the fifth scene; the lover's taking their leave of each other ... Her mind was spinning about what she had been told, but she had no time to deal with that now. The last thing she wanted to do was ask for a break especially during this scene of all scenes.

Wilt thou be gone? it is not yet near day:
It was the nightingale, and not the lark,
That pierced the fearful hollow of thine ear;


To the listener the slow delivery seemed almost sleepy, the tone appropriate even though in truth Claire was attempting to keep her emotions in check to allow herself to focus on the scene.

She had expected it to be a disaster, but not for the first time Glen's words came to her aid. She would use her present situation her loves and hates and channel them into this scene.

The result was almost cathartic: somehow she instantly tuned in Juliet's desperation to make Romeo stay and devestation and anger at her parents' and even the nurse's betrayal.

By the end of the scene her emotions were raw, but channelled. Claire would deal with her issues later. For now she had a play to focus on and the scene with Paris at the beginning of Act IV to tackle. If nothing else, she was in the right frame of mind for the next two acts.
 
He smiled, Claire had done it, her Goliath had been slain, if she could keep on doing that he was sure the play would be a mayor success, at the end of the scene he called for a break, everybody had worked hard and he was sure that a bit of refreshment and a nice lunch would help. He scratched out a few lines of his notes and wrote down new ones. He got up and joined the group backstage, congratulating them all and giving them encouragement to keep working so hard on their roles.
 
Claire wasn't sure if she was pleased or not that Glen called for a break. She had been counting on a busy schedule to distract her and a sociable luncheon was the last thing she needed right now. She hovered for a short time and made sure that she knew what time they were starting once more and then grabbed her bag and headed outside, pausing for a moment before heading for the coffee shop she had spent a long evening in. Ordering a long black coffee and a piece of shortbread in a token effort at eating she settled down to consider how she was going to deal with the situation she found herself in.
 
Glen Kane

He found it a surprise that Claire left, though he had not known her for long, he knew that wasn't her usual actions. From what he had gathered she would rather have spent time with the group, talking with Abigail, Elron, Prince, Mr Capulet or anybody else she had a scene with. Of course she seemed to gravitate towards Elron, but that was just because Elron was much like him when it came to the ladies. Open, caring, willing to listen and give advice...or perhaps she just liked him more. He grinned at his thoughts as he sat and listened to the others murmuring among themselves, perhaps she poured so much emotion into Juliet because she was emotional? He thought about this for a while and then got to his feet, the closest place where she could've gone to be alone and get back on time was the coffee shop. He walked outside and walked to the shop with his hands in his pockets, there through the window he could see her sitting at a table, coffe and an untouched piece of shortbread, she looked troubled. He went inside and took the seat opposite her, when she glanced at him, he could see in her eyes that something was up,

"Want to talk about it?"
 
Claire sipped her coffee slowly and considered her options. She was unaware of the glances thrown her way by a couple of guys who sat in the opposite corner to her. She had left the theatre in a hurry and pulled on a jacket, but had become so used to the acting bubble that was the theatre that she didn't even consider that she'd only had a jacket to cover her costume.

Dipping into the pocket of the jacket that was now discarded on the chair beside her Claire made one last call ... there had to be a mistake and perhaps she was worrying about nothing after all...

"Want to talk about it?"

Claire blinked, realising that Glen was seated opposite her. It was mere minutes since her fears had been confirmed and she hadn't even seen him come in.

"I'm not late am I?"

She glanced at her watch, but though time had sped quicker than she'd thought she still had a good 15 minutes before they were due to start up again.
In her relief, she finally noticed that he was eyeing her with concern.

"What are you doing here?"

She asked rather than responding to his question ...
 
Back
Top