Can we make a sticky about resizing pics?

RawHumor

Creepers Gotta Creep
That way, when a newbie comes in, we can just link them to the thread that has everyone's suggestions... what works, what doesn't... what freeware is out there, or what software options people might have that they don't realize are already on their PC, etc.

Two free programs for resizing pictures:

IrfanView

Picassa2

I have no personal experience with IrfanView, but have seen it recommended by many here on 'Lit'

I use Picassa2 all the time for resizing and find it very easy to use. The ‘cropping’ tool is pure simplicity.

The one little thing I don't like about Picassa2 is that the first time it's ran on an account it has a default to 'Completely scan your P.C for pictures'

No problem if the P.C is used exclusively by you or your partner(s) but if you share the P.C with kids it can easily lead to an embarrassing situation.

If you do decide to install Picassa2 I would advise running it on each account on the P.C and using the 'Remove folder from Picassa' option and selecting the same option when you're finished working on your photographs. (The option to remove is in the ‘Folder’ tab)

You can even resize in Paint, which I'm pretty sure comes standard with most Windows operating systems.

Here's what you do: You open your file, then go to Image, and then Stretch/Skew. A box will appear, and the settings you change are in the two first options to change (Stretch: Horizontal or Vertical - in percentage). Since they are in percents, you need to make them smaller than 100%. If it's not small enough, then just hit undo and go to a smaller percent. This will resize your entire photo, but not crop it in any way. :) If you want to keep proportions, then resize both Horizontal and Vertical to the same percentage. :)

sexychik69 said:
You can even resize in Paint, which I'm pretty sure comes standard with most Windows operating systems.

Here's what you do: You open your file, then go to Image, and then Stretch/Skew. A box will appear, and the settings you change are in the two first options to change (Stretch: Horizontal or Vertical - in percentage). Since they are in percents, you need to make them smaller than 100%. If it's not small enough, then just hit undo and go to a smaller percent. This will resize your entire photo, but not crop it in any way. :) If you want to keep proportions, then resize both Horizontal and Vertical to the same percentage. :)

Thank you both.

If you have MS Office installed, you will also likely have MS Photo Editor, which will allow you to do some resizing.

RawHumor said:
That way, when a newbie comes in, we can just link them to the thread that has everyone's suggestions... what works, what doesn't... what freeware is out there, or what software options people might have that they don't realize are already on their PC, etc.

LOL

This Is About My Giant Pictures In My Sig, Right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NEW
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Resizing And Altering

They Can Be Your Friends;)

All The Things That A Good Picture Poster Should Have On Their Harddrive!

www.jasc.com Paintshop Pro Please For Goodness Gracious Edit Out Those Awful Messy Bedrooms! LOL

www.irfanview.com The Best Thing You Could Have For Easy Resizing!

www.optikvervelabs.com You Want That Cellulite To Be Hidden? You Like To Effect An Alien Look To Your Little Copulation Scene? This Is What You Require!

Go To It Folks:D I Wanna See You Using Them...Or I'll Cyber Kill You:D

Last edited:
RudeNastyAssBitch said:
LOL

This Is About My Giant Pictures In My Sig, Right?

LOL Nope. A lot of newbies have commented that they couldn't attach pics to their posts because the file size was too big. Not necessarily the dimensions.

RawHumor said:
LOL Nope. A lot of newbies have commented that they couldn't attach pics to their posts because the file size was too big. Not necessarily the dimensions.

That Fucking Makes Me Mental!

The Last Time Manu Frigged With The Board, It Got Whacked.....Ah Well He IS A God, Right? LOL

Look!VVV I Made Them Smaller...Just Fer You!;)

RudeNastyAssBitch said:
That Fucking Makes Me Mental!

The Last Time Manu Frigged With The Board, It Got Whacked.....Ah Well He IS A God, Right? LOL

Look!VVV I Made Them Smaller...Just Fer You!;)

LMAO

Again, I wasn't referring to the dimensions of the pic, but of the file size so that newbies could attach pics to their posts.

If I had my way, no images would be allowed in sigs unless they were smaller than avatar size, and then only one or two, but on the same horizontal line instead of stacked or whatever.

photofiltre is a simple easy to use editor and is totally free
it makes resizing easing plus lots of other features

Pix done easy

There is another easy way.
Within windows xp, there is Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
Right click on a pic / the 'open with / choose 'picture manager'.
It is part of office so it is already within your PC.
Once pic is open , choose 'edit picture' then resize. There's a few options available.
Its just too friggin easy for words.
More flesh the better, obviously!

shanesinforit said:
Once pic is open , choose 'edit picture' then resize. There's a few options available.

Yes, but not everyone has MS Office on their PC.

Can anyone tell me what the dimension limits are for pic attathments , i thought i had seen it somewhere but i cant find it again

Chris

cjh1962 said:
Can anyone tell me what the dimension limits are for pic attathments , i thought i had seen it somewhere but i cant find it again

Chris
It's 800x600 and max size is 100 kb

There's always using pic hosting sites like Image Shack to browse from your computer and then show off the pics in a link.

Like This

That way you can make it as big as you want. :)

Anne

shanesinforit said:

I have the newer version-- people who have the older version of MSO (2003, I think) say it is a much better tool for resizing

Last edited:
Ok.....not a newbie but someone who has sod all experience with photo editing here.....

I have some nice pics which I have cropped and resized to 150x150 for AV's, but it's not allowing me to upload them, saying the file size is too big....I keep resizing down and eventually get to 80x80 before it lets me upload, which is just too damn small.....can anyone help please?

lovemonster said:
Ok.....not a newbie but someone who has sod all experience with photo editing here.....

I have some nice pics which I have cropped and resized to 150x150 for AV's, but it's not allowing me to upload them, saying the file size is too big....I keep resizing down and eventually get to 80x80 before it lets me upload, which is just too damn small.....can anyone help please?

It also has to be under 15 kilobytes. Keep the pixels at 150x150 and reduce kilobytes.

ran57gr said:
It also has to be under 15 kilobytes. Keep the pixels at 150x150 and reduce kilobytes.

Ok.....cheers for that.....now I just have to figure out how to do that....:D

lovemonster said:
Ok.....cheers for that.....now I just have to figure out how to do that....:D

I have a photo editor that allows me to re-save a pic at any percentage of it's original resolution I choose.
How many kilobytes are your 150x150 ones?

ran57gr said:
I have a photo editor that allows me to re-save a pic at any percentage of it's original resolution I choose.
How many kilobytes are your 150x150 ones?

They're about 22.65kb.....I've been using an online photo editor to crop and resize coz it does it in squares which my own software doesn't, but it only resizes in pixels.

I notice my own software has the percentage resize....so basically I have to figure out what percentage it is and adjust accordingly?

Back