Western Trails (closed)

Penny sighed softly as John settled in behind her, his arms wrapping around her body and pulling her tightly. She snuggled back down into her bedding, instantly at ease with John so close by. He promised that he would be there and she trusted him. It was so strange, he was a stranger and she felt more at ease with him than with her own husband.

She turned her head towards him, her eyes finding him in the darkness. She stared at him for a long moment before she leaned to press her lips against his cheek, a smile on her face.

“Thank you.” She said softly.
 
Again the kiss surprised him, his mind was far away, he looked back at her and smiled at her in the feeble light of the stars and coals,

"You are most welcome."

He was not certain what to make of it, since she had been saying thanks a lot, she did not seem ill at ease that he practically was the reason for her having to sleep on the ground, under the open sky, hunted by towns people and also having the chance of getting scalped or worse by Indians. He started to understand even more about how dreadful her life had to be under the rule of Seth.
 
Penny smiled and settled down beneath the blankets to sleep. Sleep came quickly, but she was restless. She’d been plagued by nightmares during her marriage to Seth and it seemed that being away from him wasn’t going to lessen them. She tossed and turned, only stopping as the strong arms that held her tightened around her until she sighed and finally found rest.

She woke as dawn was cresting the horizon. She yawned, turning her head to try and find John. It seemed that he was already up and about. She stretched and winced at the soreness in her shoulder as she sat up and gathered the blankets around her shoulders.

“Did you get any sleep last night?” She asked softly as she heard the sounds of something cooking in a pan.
 
With two slices of ham sizzling in the pan, bread cut and the coffee ready to be poured, he heard her stirring into wakefulness, he was glad when she settled down during the night. She needed rest for the rest of the day, so when dawn started to approach, he had gotten up to get their things ready and to feed and water the horses. He turned at the sound of her voice and tipped back his hat slightly,

"A little bit yes."

It was a lie of course, he had stayed awake the whole night, not fearing an Indian creeping up on them, but instead the posse. He poked the ham, found them ready and slipped them out of the pan and into the plate and bowl, pouring coffee into the two cups he smiled over at her,

"Get it while it's hot."
 
“Liar.” She said with a smile as she took the coffee and place from him as he offered her the hot food. She ate with a healthy appetite, looking at him every so often.

“So, where are we going today?” Penny asked as she brought a piece of ham to her lips, savoring the taste as she chewed slowly. “Deeper into the territory or are we going to head north? To tell you the truth, I don’t know how far Seth’s reach goes.” She confessed to him, hoping that John knew a way to get them to safety.
 
He was quite surprised that she could see he had no sleep, but she did not seem very upset about it. As they ate she asked about their travelling plans, he pointed off to the South with his knife,

"We'll head for that high ridge over there, it is about two day's ride. We have two horses so the water along the way will be enough for us all, but not for our pursuers. They will push to catch us before we gain the ridge, there the ground will hide our trail. If they have an Indian scout he will find our trail after some time, but then it will be too late. Unless your husband has influence in another state. Also by now the Indians will be getting excited about the group of white people riding bold as brass into their territory."

He continued with his meal, washing it down with another cup of coffee,

"When the smoke signals start, we will have to pick up our pace, that smoke will bring warriors and I would like to prevent bloodshed on my account. Of course Seth's men will keep coming if I understand the man correctly."

He shrugged,

"Perhaps then they will get to know Dave Denver."
 
Penny listened to his explanation, eating her breakfast and then cleaning her plate before she helped John pack the supplies away. The way that he described their journey made it sound dangerous and romantic. She had to remember that they were most definitely in danger and she needed to keep her head about her for their ride to the ridge.

“Well, it’s been a while since I’ve had a hard run on my horse, but I can sure try my best to keep up.” She said, dusting her hands against her skirt as she watched him load up his kit. She smiled at him as he turned to look at her. “Trust me, I’m not going to make you rue the day you kidnapped me.”

She moved to her horse and hoisted herself up into the saddle, getting herself situated as she waited for John to do the same.
 
"I rather doubt it."

Without further explanation he swung into the saddle,

"And for now we will have no need to run, but when I do, you do the same and stay close."

He pushed Sudden on, the big horse eager to get going after a night's rest, John kept the rifle drawn from it's scabbard as they rode. The cool morning air was productive for traveling and John pushed a pace slightly. When the sun started to become warm he handed his hat to Penelope,

"You will burn worse than me."

He used his bandana to fashion himself some headgear and then they were off again. By midday when the sun really started to become a problem, they reached a hidden little water hole. After testing the water, John filled his canteens and got them enough water to use for food, then he allowed the horses to drink. That emptied out the little hole and he knew by the time their pursuers reached this spot there would not be nearly enough water.

"You can start with the food, we'll stay here for a few hours until it cools down, I'm going to scout a bit, I will be back soon."
 
The day was growing hot as they pushed towards the ridge. Penny could feel the sweat gliding down her spine and beading along her brow. She glanced over at John as he handed her his hat, telling her that she would burn in the hot sunlight. She nodded and took it without argument, placing the too big hat upon her head. She was instantly thankful for the shade.

She was exhausted by the time that he pulled them to a stop next to a little hole with water. The horses seemed eager to drink and she was even more eager for a sip of cool water. Taking a canteen from his hands, she took a deep draw from the container and sighed in relief as he told her to start the food.

Startled that he was going to leave her alone, she watched his retreating figure for a moment before she went to his saddlebag and pulled out some bread and ham. It would be a meager meal, but she wasn’t really thinking about food then. The skillet was placed over a small campfire she’d made and soon the sounds of sizzling meat were filling the small clearing.
 
He took his rifle with him, he scouted the area as good as he had learned through his years and of course from the best scouts in the world. He made sure to not go too far, he returned as soon as he could. Finding food finished, it was quite good to have a person around to finish certain little things. He took a swallow of water and first started to brush down the horses. When he was done, he took a seat and brushed over his brow.

"So far we're safe, no smoke signals yet. The posse had stopped as well. We will get to another water spot tonight."

He took another sip of water,

"Sure smells good, you've been busy."
 
Penny looked over her shoulder as she handed him a plate. Taking his hat from her head, she placed it beside them in the dirt as she sat down to eat her meal as well. She smiled at him as he complimented the smell of everything. It had been a long time since a man had given her a kind word about anything.

“Thank you. Wish there was more to cook with, but it will do for a while.” She said softly as she took a big bite of ham. “And I’m glad that they’ve been slowed up and we haven’t been spotted. I just wish it weren’t so hot today. I can’t remember the last day that’s been so blistering.”
 
He nodded,

"At least it works to our advantage, kind of. It stopped the posse as they need water as well as we and that little spring oozes slowly. We will gain some time and through that yardage."

He finished his meal and settled close to one of the Joshua trees dotted all around, the shade not much, but it helped.

"I want to catch a bit of shut-eye. If you notice anything strange, even a gust of wind that seems weird, wake me up will you?"

He tucked an arm under his head and closed his eyes.
 
Penny nods, watching as John gets comfortable to get some sleep. She had known that he hadn’t slept well the night before and their pace that day had been hard on them both. Taking his hat, she placed it on his chest, motioning for him to place it on his face to block out the sun. It would make for a more restful sleep.

She turned from his sleeping form and keep her eyes on the horizon, seeing nothing on the horizon. It was peaceful on the hot day, nothing stirring under the blistering sun. She sighed softly as the horses nickered and grazed on the short grass nearby.

It was about an hour later when the distant sound of birds calling to each other reached her ears. She paused and listened in silence for a moment. It sounded strange and she reached over and shook John awake, a finger to her lips to signal him to be quiet and listen to the strange sounds.
 
At her touch he was instantly awake, he sat up and listened as she had instructed. He gave her a grim smile and whispered,

"Scouts."

He silently slipped his hat back onto her head, then quickly and silently gathered their gear and got the saddles ready. It wouldn't take long for the news to spread. Usually a scout party would easily take on two people, especially if one was a woman. But he also knew that even out here the legend of his name have reached the tribes and that they knew not to underestimate him. He quickly saddled the horses and when there was a flicker in his peripheral vision, his hand reacted faster than a striking rattlesnake. With an anguished cry the brave fell into view, Dave did not look at the man, instead he scanned the surrounding area. Holstering his revolver, he drew his rifle and motioned Penelope to join him.

"Get on and ride, go at a jog, nothing faster."
 
Penny glance out over the prairie in the same direction that John was watching, unable to see the same things that he seemed to be as his hat was placed back on her head. She glanced at him as he was up quickly, silently gathering their things and placing them back into place on the saddles. She felt a slightly pinch of fear as she helped him to pack, wondering what would happen now that the Scouts knew that they were in their land.

She was helping to tie the last of the provisions into place when John turned and drew his gun, firing at a man that she’d never seen. She let out a short scream, moving to the side as he holstered his weapon and withdrew the rifle that had been stored in his saddle. She shook her head as he told her to get on her horse and ride.

“Not without you.” She said, letting out an indignant squeal as his arm looped around her waist and hoisted her into the saddle without argument. “I’m not leaving you here, John.” She insisted as he took her horses reigns and turned them both towards the open prairie and gave the beast a slap against the rump.

Penny was off at a jog without argument then, her heart hammering in her chest as she glanced over her shoulder at him, wondering if he would leave her alone in the wild frontier or if he would be joining her soon. Never had she been so frightened in her life.
 
He just hoped that she kept in the direction he had pointed her, he had to stop the other scouts from getting word out, it will get out eventually, but every hour he saved for them was an hour longer they could travel and perhaps be the key to escaping. He slipped into the shadows of the rocks, then moved away from the camp site.

It was four hours later when he finally caught up with Penelope, a whistle made his horse stop, which in turn made her stop. He trudged up to them, he pulled his canteen from the saddle and took a long swig, he was dusty, dirty, banged up and scraped. He swung into the saddle and looked at her,

"Well, we have a few hours reprieve, I believe that will help us to get closer to the ridge before we meet up with the indigenous people."

He nudged Sudden away and led the way, his rifle slid back into it's scabbard, what he did not mention was that the posse had made ground on them, by now they would most probably camp at their previous camp site.
 
Penny nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard the whistle sound behind her. She turned and caught sight of John and Sudden and sighed in relief, drawing her horse to a stop to allow him to catch up. She was not happy with him for making her leave, but she kept her tongue for the time being.

“You’re injured.” She said softly, taking in the scraps and bruises as he swung into the saddle and looked towards her. “John, we need to stop and take care of your injuries.” She insisted as he pushed them onward, leading the way with his rifle at the ready.

“John! Listen to me!” She cried out as she drew her horse even with Sudden. “What the hell are you thinking? Staying behind like that? You could have been killed!”
 
He stopped to look at her,

"Penelope I did what had to be done, it bought us the time we will need to get out of Indian territory before they corner us and kill me, rape, torture and then kill you. I was thinking about saving you that fate when I stayed behind to kill the other scouts."

He gently removed her hand from Sudden's reins,

"Let's just get to the next water point, then you can look after the scrapes and cuts. It's a long way to go and if the posse's tracker is any good he will know it."

He nudged Sudden forward again.
 
Penny stayed silent but nodded her agreement as she followed his lead towards the next stop on the trail. Her anger at his foolishness was hot and heavy in her chest, a strange feeling of guilt accompanying the intense sensation. He had done what he did to protect her. No man in her life had protected her like that before. Usually she would have been left to the wolves.

She was silent still as he ushered them both into the next water point, her horse drinking thirstily from the little spring that was welling in the grassy spot of land. A few side long glances in John’s direction and Penny set off to gather her supplies to treat his scrapes and cuts.

Once she was tending to his wounds, she sighed softly and finally found the strength to meet his gaze. “I suppose I ought to thank you for what you did back there.” She said softly, trying to keep the raw emotion in her voice under control.
 
He looked at her,

"And I should thank you for tending to me. So in a way we are equal."

He took a swig from his canteen, rubbed a sore spot on his jaw,

"We will have to get a fire going, there isn't much light left."

He placed a hand over her own,

"I do what has to be done, you don't owe me anything. In a way I uprooted your life to stay alive, I owe you more than what I have done so far."
 
Penny glanced down at the hand that covered hers and she sighed softly, packing away her things as he mentioned building a fire. She would help him gather dry kindling and once he got the fire going, she would cook them a small meal. Before that though, she sat down beside John in the shade and thought for a long moment on his statement.

“What kind of life did I have before you took me away?” She asked, shrugging her shoulders as she glanced over at John with a look of shame. “You saved me from daily beatings and an early death.”
 
He nodded,

"Perhaps, but you had security, even if it was just security in the fact that, that pig will beat you."

He pulled a thorn from his side,

"But you helped me to survive at the peril of your own life. That alone is enough for me to stay in your debt forever."

He gave her a crooked smile,

"Some Indian wisdom."
 
Penny managed a smile as he grinned at her. She reached out and touch his cheek for a moment before she leaned in and kissed his other cheek gently. Pulling away from him, she watched him for a long moment before she stood up to begin building a small little fire.

Once it was burning, she worked to pull out the cooking supplies from his pack and soon the smell of ham filled the little area. It would soon get old but it was nourishment and she wasn’t about to complain.
 
He helped her to find more wood, adding coffee to the meal she was preparing, fetching water to heat for the dishes. He sat down with her and produced a bag of flour,

"Perhaps some biscuits will go down with the ham?"

He pulled out the other ingredients,

"OK now I will step out of your kitchen, men are known to get hurt when they interfere in the kitchen."

He took a seat not to far from her, his rifle nearby.
 
“Oh, you’re making requests now?” She asked with a smile as he placed the bag of flour next to her. “I suppose I can make some.” She said as he moved to sit down across the way from her.

It didn’t take long for the meal to cook and soon she was sitting beside John with a plate full of food and a belly that was quickly becoming the same. She sighed in contentment, taking a drink of sweet, cool water from the canteen that was offered.

“You know, I wish I could find a good man that treated me half as well as you treat the rifle.” She commented, watching the way that he placed his rifle always within arms reach.
 
Back
Top