Getting slammed by anonymous critics

I got an anonymous comment sent to me on my latest story saying that because I didn't include "Ch. 1" in the title (even though it was in second line of the story heading), he had the right, no the duty to give me a one star rating.

I have to admit it made me laugh. What sad lives these people must lead.

As a reader rather than a writer, I find the abuse of the 1-star rating more annoying than the comments. The people leaving the nasty comments are just dumbasses or assholes or dumbassholes. The people giving 1-star ratings for shitty reasons like that, though, are dumbassholes who make it harder for me to identify stories worth reading.

As a reader rather than a writer, I find the abuse of the 1-star rating more annoying than the comments. The people leaving the nasty comments are just dumbasses or assholes or dumbassholes. The people giving 1-star ratings for shitty reasons like that, though, are dumbassholes who make it harder for me to identify stories worth reading.

I've found that when I read stories it's best not to pay attention to the ratings. True, they can sometimes be a guide for stories that are written well rather than poorly, and sometimes really good ones are the highest ratings, but the system of ranking is based on a rating that is subjectively decided also, and that can alter the result from being a story you may like, to just a story that a lot of people prefer.

I always just try to find a story that's about something I like and then give it a try, sometimes that's not been good, a lot of times I've found amazing stories that weren't ranked high. Idiots do ruin it, but the system isn't good for judging what story you would enjoy anyway. A lot of authors fail to get the recognition that they deserve, I think. Others, (as has been posted elsewhere), can get ratings just by adding that it is a 'true' story.

How true

I've found that when I read stories it's best not to pay attention to the ratings. True, they can sometimes be a guide for stories that are written well rather than poorly, and sometimes really good ones are the highest ratings, but the system of ranking is based on a rating that is subjectively decided also, and that can alter the result from being a story you may like, to just a story that a lot of people prefer.

I always just try to find a story that's about something I like and then give it a try, sometimes that's not been good, a lot of times I've found amazing stories that weren't ranked high. Idiots do ruin it, but the system isn't good for judging what story you would enjoy anyway. A lot of authors fail to get the recognition that they deserve, I think. Others, (as has been posted elsewhere), can get ratings just by adding that it is a 'true' story.

Yes you are right. I find that Loving wives stories are often slammed and 1 bombed because the husband/main character is not a shoot first and ask questions later macho man. How well the story is told is irrelevant if they don't like the outcome. Readers sometimes live their lives vicariously through our stories. They would like to think they could be that macho man when they read the story. In reality they are more likely to be the one that is dumped upon. I don't let things like that bother me. One email from a reader who has really understood what you were trying to say cancels out hundreds of moronic comments.

Yes you are right. I find that Loving wives stories are often slammed and 1 bombed because the husband/main character is not a shoot first and ask questions later macho man. How well the story is told is irrelevant if they don't like the outcome. Readers sometimes live their lives vicariously through our stories. They would like to think they could be that macho man when they read the story. In reality they are more likely to be the one that is dumped upon. I don't let things like that bother me. One email from a reader who has really understood what you were trying to say cancels out hundreds of moronic comments.

Absolutely.

A fair negative comment that is constructive, I always appreciate, as I do those that are just negative but for genuine dislike or preference-based reasons, so long as that is clear. I think those are important for an author to develop and keep in touch with the readers. But one positive, and especially the enthusiastic, comment always proves the point of what you write - that it may not be for everyone, but it was never intended to be. It's just for those who want to read that and can't/don't want to write themselves. I think a story should only ever be submitted as a writer wants to share what they enjoy.

But I think we are all just re-stating what has already been said by many here: so long as you enjoy it, ignore the haters, you'll never get away from all of them.

Things I've learned

Here’s what I’ve learned about posting stories on Literotica, and other sites:

1. No matter how good I feel about the story when I post it, no matter how much I think that I’ve fixed every spelling error, every grammar issue, every punctuation problem, someone will find the need to point out to me that I should have taken the time to edit it and fix the mistakes before posting.

2. There are a lot of very smart people hanging around and reading Litrotica stories, who will take the time and effort to analyze every aspect of a story, good and bad, and explain their thoughts to the author.

3. I’ll never write a story that pleases everyone who reads it, and some of those people who don’t like it, are going to write a comment explaining why they don’t like it.

4. Some of the people who managed to read the entire story will always comment about what should have happened to this or that character. Like “I liked the story, but it would have been so much better if Carol had invited her own daughter into the bedroom with them.” Those one’s always get me, because what do they expect me to do, rewrite the story the way they want it to be written?

5. Creative criticism can be hurtful and helpful at the same time. Of course I would love to write a hall of fame story that gets hundreds of thousands of views and praise upon praise piled on it, but I know my limits.

6. Flaming happens. There are people out there who have very deep seated feelings about what is right and what is wrong with the world, and they will hide behind the veil of anonymity to spew their hatred and disgust with things that they disagree with.

I will never shut off the comments for any of my stories, because if someone takes the time to read it, they should have the opportunity to tell me what they thought about it. I fully appreciate it when anyone takes the time to post a comment on my story with either praise, or creative criticism. It shows me that they thought enough about something that I created to take the time to, not only read it all, but also tell me how I could possibly improve in the future.

What surprises me is how frequently someone favorites a story of mine from years ago that I'm not all that fond of myself and/or that got raked over the coals at one time or another. That just assures me how broad the reading interests are here at Literotica and that there's almost always enough reader interest to have justified writing and posting the story.

I also note that most of the stories of mine that I consider a cut above the rest are in the 4.00 to 4.49 rating zone here. I most likely would consider that that's where a lot of the other really good stories here by other authors are in terms of ratings as well. When I see an author with all Hs on stories, I think one or three thoughts--although I'm sure there are just some really good authors here deserving across-the-board Hs--I think they have manipulated their scores, or that they write pablum that has no bite to it (and therefore doesn't upset anyone), or that they are in a author's/reader's "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" vote trading club. That these exist is evidenced by the frequent occurence of stories getting Hs as soon as they are listed.

What surprises me is how frequently someone favorites a story of mine from years ago that I'm not all that fond of myself and/or that got raked over the coals at one time or another. That just assures me how broad the reading interests are here at Literotica and that there's almost always enough reader interest to have justified writing and posting the story.

I also note that most of the stories of mine that I consider a cut above the rest are in the 4.00 to 4.49 rating zone here. I most likely would consider that that's where a lot of the other really good stories here by other authors are in terms of ratings as well. When I see an author with all Hs on stories, I think one or three thoughts--although I'm sure there are just some really good authors here deserving across-the-board Hs--I think they have manipulated their scores, or that they write pablum that has no bite to it (and therefore doesn't upset anyone), or that they are in a author's/reader's "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" vote trading club. That these exist is evidenced by the frequent occurence of stories getting Hs as soon as they are listed.

I agree with this. My favourite stories that I've written are generally the lowest rated, and the one I like most is one of the lowest of all. The one's with H's next to them I like, of course, but those without are generally the ones I prefer.

But then, I pay no attention to the ratings anyway, I just left the voting on as it was default when I started submitting. Though it does always makes me laugh when a story that I get hate/death mail for just because it involves women cheating and not getting 'recompense' does get a H by it. :p

About the LW category

I've dabbled in LW category, and in the last month or so, read a ton, while working on two big stories about cheating. What I've found out about the category and the readers comments comes down to this:

1. If there's extra-marital action, and they're both happy with it and respectful, you're not going to get too much grief, and you have a chance to get a good score.
  2. If the husband cheats, and it's not done to humiliate or punish the wife, especially if he doesn't get caught, again, no grief, and decent scores.
  3. If the woman cheats, someone's going to be unhappy, and you'll see it in the comments and scores. Within this category you mostly have:

a) BTB. Burn the bitch. She cheats, he gets over the top revenge. The BTB crowd will still give you a little grief, because no matter what you do, it's never enough. You can still get a red "H" but rarely above a 4.60. Read Stangstar06 to see how to handle this crowd.

b) Reconciliation. If they get back together for any reason, the BTB crowd will cry foul. Very good chance you'll be compared to Matt Moreau who is the reigning poster boy for "RAAC" Reconciliation at any cost.

* If the reconciliation takes a LONG time, and the woman is faithful the whole time, and the man screws around, and goes back to his 'true love' you might get away with reconciliation. That seems to be the one time it's allowed.

* There are 2 types of BTB. 1) Get over without doing anything physical to her, and nothing deadly to the guy. This does a little better than 2) Kill, torture, and destroy everything. Leave her in a mexican brothel, or with Aids.

c) The wife wins. A lot of women will love it, but you'll get a buttload of comments from both the BTB and RAAC crowd. A lot of JustPlainBob will show you how this works out.

d) Cuckolding. Heaven forbid the wife cheats and humiliates her husband, and he goes along with it. Prepare for some serious butt-rash, and you'll be luck if your story scores above a 4.00. That only if it's very well written. In the cheating genre, willing cuckolds are lower than pond scum. Search for any author with 'cuckold' in their name to see how this works.

e) BBC. If it's a big-black-cock, size thing, and it's in loving wives and not in interracial, it's another doomsday. Leave the scoring off

It's worth mentioning that in the 'wife cheating' category, it doesn't have to be sex. Kissing and heavy petting are 'emotional cheating' and if you don't Burn-the-bitch, the BTB crowd will be after you.

There's more to it than that, and some nuances and stories like "When we were married." that can break the mold, and 'loving wives' sub-chapters within larger stories where that's not the main emphasis, but the above probably covers 95% of the LW category. If you've decided to work in the 'cheating' arena, now you know what's coming your way. Don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

Then again, I've only read about 1000 of them (no exaggeration) in the last several weeks. I never ventured into the cheating realm before, and wanted an idea of what was going on. Eye opening.

I know that my two stories are in deep trouble, at least comments wise. I'm definitely jumping in with both feet into the woman cheats category. Oh well.

I've dabbled in LW category, and in the last month or so, read a ton, while working on two big stories about cheating. What I've found out about the category and the readers comments comes down to this:

1. If there's extra-marital action, and they're both happy with it and respectful, you're not going to get too much grief, and you have a chance to get a good score.
  2. If the husband cheats, and it's not done to humiliate or punish the wife, especially if he doesn't get caught, again, no grief, and decent scores.
  3. If the woman cheats, someone's going to be unhappy, and you'll see it in the comments and scores. Within this category you mostly have:

a) BTB. Burn the bitch. She cheats, he gets over the top revenge. The BTB crowd will still give you a little grief, because no matter what you do, it's never enough. You can still get a red "H" but rarely above a 4.60. Read Stangstar06 to see how to handle this crowd.

b) Reconciliation. If they get back together for any reason, the BTB crowd will cry foul. Very good chance you'll be compared to Matt Moreau who is the reigning poster boy for "RAAC" Reconciliation at any cost.

* If the reconciliation takes a LONG time, and the woman is faithful the whole time, and the man screws around, and goes back to his 'true love' you might get away with reconciliation. That seems to be the one time it's allowed.

* There are 2 types of BTB. 1) Get over without doing anything physical to her, and nothing deadly to the guy. This does a little better than 2) Kill, torture, and destroy everything. Leave her in a mexican brothel, or with Aids.

c) The wife wins. A lot of women will love it, but you'll get a buttload of comments from both the BTB and RAAC crowd. A lot of JustPlainBob will show you how this works out.

d) Cuckolding. Heaven forbid the wife cheats and humiliates her husband, and he goes along with it. Prepare for some serious butt-rash, and you'll be luck if your story scores above a 4.00. That only if it's very well written. In the cheating genre, willing cuckolds are lower than pond scum. Search for any author with 'cuckold' in their name to see how this works.

e) BBC. If it's a big-black-cock, size thing, and it's in loving wives and not in interracial, it's another doomsday. Leave the scoring off

It's worth mentioning that in the 'wife cheating' category, it doesn't have to be sex. Kissing and heavy petting are 'emotional cheating' and if you don't Burn-the-bitch, the BTB crowd will be after you.

There's more to it than that, and some nuances and stories like "When we were married." that can break the mold, and 'loving wives' sub-chapters within larger stories where that's not the main emphasis, but the above probably covers 95% of the LW category. If you've decided to work in the 'cheating' arena, now you know what's coming your way. Don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

Then again, I've only read about 1000 of them (no exaggeration) in the last several weeks. I never ventured into the cheating realm before, and wanted an idea of what was going on. Eye opening.

I know that my two stories are in deep trouble, at least comments wise. I'm definitely jumping in with both feet into the woman cheats category. Oh well.

So why does it qualify as 'cheating' if the hubby BEGS the wife to go and get side action? I would deem that 'Loving Wife'. And what is is if both parties are involved and all is consensual with absolutely NO humiliation? That is not cuckold, in my opinion.

Is it just because I am the female half of a married writing partnership that the flamers want to tie me to a stake and dip me in lye? I am not going to, now or ever, write a snuff tale. Especially not for anyone that thinks my female character deserves nothing less than medieval torture.

WE (my hubby and myself) just want to write 'smut'. Smut for the sake of writing. Smut to give life to our fantasies. Smut to relive our escapades. Neither of us fancy ourselves the next Anne Rice or Anais Nin. We just have wild imaginations and the security to explore through flesh and/or literature those fantasies.

So why does it qualify as 'cheating' if the hubby BEGS the wife to go and get side action? I would deem that 'Loving Wife'. And what is is if both parties are involved and all is consensual with absolutely NO humiliation? That is not cuckold, in my opinion.

You're mostly preaching to the choir on this one. It's the loony commenter/s at LW who start foaming at the mouth about that stuff.

@ Bramblethorn: It appears Lesbian is the best way to go! Top scores;) I will have to browse your collection...I am certain it is bound to stimulate:rose:

I think people that write massive multi-chaptered leviathans tend to get a lot of Hs too, purely because people who read chapter 1 and didn't like it are unlikely to read the subsequent chapters. So you will often look at an author and it looks like they have Hs across the board. But if you look closer, Chapter 1 got a 4.3 and subsequent chapters all got over 4.5 because their readership is effectively pre-selected as people who are going to like the story because they liked chapter 1 enough to read on.

Wait until you get the anonymous death threats. I turned off comments when I first started submitting, though not because of hate comments, etc, but just because I wanted the stories just to be up there as the stories. Of course, I get email feedback which I appreciate, but if you think the comments are bad, the email comments can be worse.

It's the other kinds of 'hate' comments that say 'I hope she gets a disease and dies....and his dick falls off...blah blah blah' that perplex me. Do some people think every story is real, that the author will think 'shit, yeah, it does', or that there comments will somehow make that happen? I've never understood those.

Huh. I know that since there is no "Cheating" category, LW has become the home for stories about cheating, but I can honestly say that when I consider LW, cheating has never crossed my mind. In other words, the few times I've considered reading or writing in the category, I don't think of stories that involve cheating. Not sure why, but I always get the impression that the genre is about married couples behind closed doors, and how they spice up their sex life and such (the way I suppose it was meant). Of course a lot of those themes could be considered romance or erotic couplings, but the title "Loving Wives"specifically refers to married individuals.

I do think Lit could benefit from a Cheaters genre. This way, stories with a central theme of cheating, married or not, could be isolated for people that want to read them. When it comes to entertainment, my theory has always been that if you don't like it or you're offended by it, don't look at it, don't read it, or don't listen to it. No one is forcing anyone to read any stories. If I read something on Lit that offended me, (which is never because you can't offend me) I'd simply stop reading it and find something else.

As far as cheating goes... they are just stories! Fantasies maybe, but that's the point. You exorcise your inner demons through constructive entertainment. Feed your dirty little monster inside. Read something, fantasize about it, get swept away by it. Then, give your monster a high five and store him away. The greatest thing about fiction is that youget to cheat reality. You get to indulge yourself with a fantasy, visit crazy worlds, experience terror, and other things without having to actually go through the repercussions of it all. I enjoy a good horror movie, but does that mean I watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and then immediately go cut off someone's face, wear it as a mask, go hack up some twenty year holds?

Alas this is what trolls do not understand, and probably never will. So let's do what they love us most for: Laugh at them and ignore them. If your cheating story is hot, and it turns someone else on, too, write it. If no one were offended, we wouldn't be doing it right.

Agreed, Lit would be served better with a 'cheating' section, though I can understand why both 'cheating' and 'non-cheating' stories are posted in LW, as by 'loving wives' one could interpret either 'loving' in the sense of 'love' or 'loving' in the sense of 'sexually 'loving' someone' (i.e. a wife that sexual loves someone, not anyone in particular). Though from what I recall LW has always had cheating stories in it, but still, I think it would cause (perhaps) a little less grief for some people and make searching stories a little easier if there was a 'cheating' section.

Of course this is just so much spitting into the wind. Adjusting the "Loving Wives" category has got to be the most-requested and most-ignored-by-the-Web site-owners suggestion on the forum throughout Lit. history.

Wait until you get the anonymous death threats. I turned off comments when I first started submitting, though not because of hate comments, etc, but just because I wanted the stories just to be up there as the stories. Of course, I get email feedback which I appreciate, but if you think the comments are bad, the email comments can be worse.

It's the other kinds of 'hate' comments that say 'I hope she gets a disease and dies....and his dick falls off...blah blah blah' that perplex me. Do some people think every story is real, that the author will think 'shit, yeah, it does', or that there comments will somehow make that happen? I've never understood those.

Even if the stories are memoirs of actual escapades, that doesn't mean they will get a disease. The assumption appears to be that if you didn't write in the certificate from the clinic or the unwrapping of the condom, the characters A) are disease infested or B) did not use any form of safe sex practice.

As a couple that DOES engage in extra-marital, consensual, NON CHEATING sex play, we have established friendships with people we trust. Many of the stories I have read in LW of bringing in a friend is just that, bringing in a FRIEND, somebody one or both know. My assumption, though I don't often think about it when reading erotica/smut, is that as an established friendship, a conversation occurred regarding STD status. The stories in which it is anonymous, I prefer to just enjoy the story as it is written and not consider the consequences. After all, this is not a philosophy or morals class, last I checked.

I had to laugh at the comment above regarding nobody being forced to read any of this. Exactly!!!! Why do people torture themselves to read something that offends them? There is so much here to enjoy and a flavor for everyone. I am beginning to think the trolls are seeking those stories because they did get a disease from a cheating partner or were spurned. Or maybe they themselves cheated and are riddled with guilt and thus feel compelled to rage against those of us that step out within the safe constructs of a story.

In any case, there are quite a few reasonable and sane people here in the forum. I think I will start having my stories reviewed here before rushing to submit them for open readership.

Thanks all! Lovely bunch of folks in the forum :kiss:
~HoneyShugar {of We4urplzure}

As a couple that DOES engage in extra-marital, consensual, NON CHEATING sex play, we have established friendships with people we trust. Many of the stories I have read in LW of bringing in a friend is just that, bringing in a FRIEND, somebody one or both know. My assumption, though I don't often think about it when reading erotica/smut, is that as an established friendship, a conversation occurred regarding STD status. The stories in which it is anonymous, I prefer to just enjoy the story as it is written and not consider the consequences. After all, this is not a philosophy or morals class, last I checked.

I agree, that this is what I first thought of when I heard of Loving Wives. For close to a year, I had the number 1 rated story in his category, and the only Loving Wives Contest winner I've heard of. It was friends, it was consensual, their might have been a hint of jealous or nervousness, but nobody got hurt. When three monogamous marriages merge into one big relationship, the assumption of STD free is reasonable. I've had three Loving Wives entries that fit this mold of consensual extra-marital play, and they have all done well. The comments have never been scathing.

I wrote one continuation story in the BTB style, and I heard about it. Big Time.

My valentine's day contest entry was a Romance, hidden under Loving Wives to try to avoid giving away the plot. Mostly good comments, and scores, but the first day, the LW crowd came screaming. Harsh comments. I started out with a sub 4.00 score, which has slowly climbed back to about 4.47. With well over a thousand votes, it looks like it's not quite going to his the magic 4.5. Too bad, I kind of liked it.

With all that said, write what you like. Let 'em scream. First and foremost I write for me. If I don't like it, what the hell am I doing anyway?

This isn't so much a complaint as a WTF moment...

Has anyone had a commenter follow them through their whole story list and leave really irrelevant comments? I know I can't be the only one to notice this. Before this year's Survivor, I had never written in LW. Now that I posted 2 stories that I know are crap, I have this one dude going to all of my stories and leaving comments. Sometimes there are two on a story back-to-back. I kind of expected the anons to tag along just for the sake of asshattery, but this one isn't an anon...

I don't want to delete the comments because maybe they don't speak English as a first or even third language, but every time I see them I just scratch my head wondering WTF they meant to say... Also, deleting the WTF comments makes me feel like they've won somehow, so I don't.

I often have a difficult time choosing which category to place my stories because often times they could go in more than one section. It would be easier if there was sub-sections in each category. For instance, the Fetish category could have sub-sections for Feet, Smother, Pee, Enema and so on. Incest could be broken up into Mother/Son, Father/Daughter, Brother/Sister and so on. Loving Wives could have sections for Cheating, Cuckolding, Non Cheating, Lesbian etc..

Entering tags for each story just doesn't seem enough, because the tags only come into play if someone is searching for stories with those particular tags. In my case, I would have posted in the Novels/Novellas category, then put it into the sub-section of Loving Wives. Probably wouldn't stop the trolls from their hate filled diatribes of cheating wives stories, but at least it would be easier to find stories that interest you.

I often have a difficult time choosing which category to place my stories because often times they could go in more than one section. It would be easier if there was sub-sections in each category. For instance, the Fetish category could have sub-sections for Feet, Smother, Pee, Enema and so on. Incest could be broken up into Mother/Son, Father/Daughter, Brother/Sister and so on. Loving Wives could have sections for Cheating, Cuckolding, Non Cheating, Lesbian etc..

Entering tags for each story just doesn't seem enough, because the tags only come into play if someone is searching for stories with those particular tags. In my case, I would have posted in the Novels/Novellas category, then put it into the sub-section of Loving Wives. Probably wouldn't stop the trolls from their hate filled diatribes of cheating wives stories, but at least it would be easier to find stories that interest you.

Yes each "kink" certainly has its sub-kinks and each sub kink has fans and detractors.

I agree the more specific the better, but how many categories can they break things up into?

When I search for stories or submit my own, my big deciding factor is not the individual tag lines the author describes the story, that can usually tell you what's in it, better than individual tags

I keep all my baddies- spit roasting is how I think of it. They'll never get away.

Back