OOC -- "Dark Flight"

Introduction

The deep space transport Rebirth (DST-2) left Earth in the latter part of the 22nd century with 200 Crew and 2000 Settlers. It's 99 year long mission was simple: reach New Earth -- already settled by the much smaller Crew and Settlers of DST-1 New Hope -- and build a new home for the dying human race.

But simple things can become complicated when you toss a psychopath into the mix...

Hans Decker awoke from cryogenic stasis to begin his Duty Watch, only to flip out, kill his DW Relief, and begin the process of taking manual control of most of the ship's systems. He killed key Officers -- including the Captain and XO -- then raped a woman still in cryo-dream state, simply because she'd rejected his romantic advances prior to the ship's departure from Jupiter Station.

And then ... well ... let's see what happens from here on, shall we?


How To Join

Read some (if not all) of the IC Thread to ensure this is something you are interested in. (Warning: the IC begins with the rape mentioned above. If you are offended by forced sex, this isn't the RP for you.)

If you are interested in joining the RP, PM the Host with a basic idea of your character and the direction/story in which you would like him/her involved. Not all stories have to be sexual in nature! There are a lot of stories we can create, including:
  • Decker awakening Crew Members to help him take total control of the ship. Perhaps they help him in exchange for something they want; perhaps they don't, which means Decker will have to persuade them somehow.
  • Decker awakening Civilians/Crew Members for what he calls fun: violent competitions, sexual encounters -- with himself or others -- or just to chase them down through the ship for sport. Maybe he needs a good cook or someone to rub his feet at night; every Dictator needs his comfort ... only ... what happens to those people during the hours when they aren't serving their lunatic Master...?
  • So much more. Just use your imagination, PM the Host for some fun collaboration on stories.
 
Last edited:
The Story Thus Far

Pre-Role Play History -- Earth Year 2177 to 2244 (beginning of the role play).

YEAR 2244: Important Note about the recording of time.

  • Day 1:
    • Hans Decker rapes Meagan Brent -- a civilian who rebuffed his pre-mission romantic advances -- while she is is still in the dream state near the end of cryogenic stasis reanimation. (Available character; PM the Host with interest.)
    • Although Decker's nefarious plan was to keep Meagan in stasis indefinitely, Meagan was fully reanimated and exited her cryo-bed.
 
Last edited:
Characters
and
Character Sheet


If you are interested in joining after you read the IC thread, of course, PM me.

Hans Decker (NiceRPGuy) -- Ship's Officer (and psychopath)
 
Last edited:
Character Sheet

Please fill out and send to Host for approval.

Character

Pic

Name

Gender

Age

Are you ship's crew or civilian?

Position/Job

Education/Training

Background

Personality

Important stuff that didn't fit above
 
Last edited:
Character Sheet

Hans Decker

Personal Details:
  • Male.
  • 26.
  • 5ft6in, 175 pounds. Lean, muscular.
  • Brunette hair.
  • Steel gray eyes.
Place in Story:
  • Psychopath. Currently solely in control of the ship.
  • Deck Officer (Electronics Technician, Lieutenant-JG)
  • Has replaced the reality of the ship's mission with his own fantasy that he is a puppet master, tasked with making others happy ... even by means they find repulsive.
Education/Training
  • Advanced Electronics Training during teens.
  • Officer Training Corps, World Government Extra-Solar Program
Background
  • Nothing special in his background.
  • He did, however, have an as-of-yet undefined relationship with Meagan Brent (see Post 1 for more).
Personality
  • Pre-mission:
    • Quiet and reserved.
    • Tried a few times to "get friendly" with fellow, female crew members but rarely got anywhere.
    • Women found him too goody-goody, boring, unexciting.
  • Currently:
    • Something in him has snapped.
    • Upon awakening for his 33 day work shift, he came to believe that the civilians and the rest of the crew were here for his pleasure, both physical and psychological.

Important stuff that didn't fit above
  • While his position puts him in control, I am not writing him with the intent of controlling the role play. He (I) will not always get his (my) way; there will be set backs to his plans, twists, and resistance that he will try to overcome.
  • While he is a central figure, it is my hope that the other writers will do the majority of their collaboration with one another, once the stage is set for their little stories within the story. I don't have the time to co-write with EVERY character, is what I'm saying.
 
The Ship
spaceship--psycho_zps55f454b8.jpg

If you have "Show Images" turned off in your Options, click the link.​

Performance Specifications:
  • Maximum speed: LS21 (21 times the speed of light)
  • Maximum Range: Relative to initial speed and acceleration, but far more than is needed to get to New Earth or to back up system, should New Earth be deemed uninhabitable by the arrival of Rebirth.
  • Capable of mission success on just two of her four Main Engines.
  • Triple Redundancy on most ship's systems.
Dimensions (approximations):
  • Length: 5 kilometers (5468 yards, or 3.1 miles)
  • Width: 1 kilometers (1093 yards)
  • Depth:
    • Command Section (forward): .5 kilometers (547 yards)
    • Engineering Section (aft): 1 kilometers (1093 yards)
 
Pre-Role Play History

This page is separate from the rest of the Role Play History simply because it makes it easier to peruse the information this way. Additional information will be added as it it posted by the various writers, with dates in red to draw the readers' attention.

YEAR:
  • 2177: The Deep Space Transport Rebirth (DST-2) leaves Jupiter Station, bound for New Earth.
 
FYI:
At the beginning of our Role Play, the mission to New Earth is in its 67th year -- 25,000 Earth days, to be exact.

The dating system I will use in the OOC and, often, in the IC will be based upon the day our Role Play began, however. So, Post 1, for example, occurred on Day 1. I find that this makes tracking "role play time" easier than using some Star Trek-like Star Date calendar or even using the 25,000 number as a basis.

Writers may, of course, use the 25,000+ date in their posts, but remember: not every character knows what the true mission date is, nor -- often -- should they really care.​
 
Cryogenic Stasis

CRYOGENIC STASIS:
  • Time:
    • Cryogenic stasis slows the metabolism of both Human and non-Human Subjects to .015% of normal aging.
    • A Human Subject in stasis for 100 years -- Rebirth's approximate mission time -- would only age 5.5 days.
    • The mind, however, does not slow to the same degree in all Subjects. While 97% of Subjects enjoy a near total shut down of their brain's activity, the remainder can sometimes experience a long term, REM sleep-like state, indicating a dreaming state; and still others -- for reasons which almost ended the cryogenic program -- can suffer a degree of intermittent, long-term consciousness that can lead to a variety of mental instabilities. (This fact is the reason why: first, when a Duty Watch Crew Member is reanimated, the Crew Member he/she is relieving administers a barrage of psychological tests before turning over the watch; and, second, why no one single crew member has the ability to take control of vital ship's systems ... a fact that apparently wasn't as true as the Mission Planners had hoped.)
  • Entering Cryogenic Stasis:
    • The Subject's body and mind are treated to four days of physical and mental preparation, which include physical relaxation and drug therapies.
    • A final application of anesthetics is given in a Comfort Room, easing the Subject into unconsciousness in a peaceful, stress-free environment.
    • The Subject is then transferred to a Cryo-bed, where the process of stasis is begun.
    • Three days later, the body is fully in stasis, aging at .015% of normal.
  • During Stasis:
    • The Subject's body is monitored by a triple redundant bio-system to ensure a safe, healthy stasis. Any anomaly will alert the Duty Watch and, if necessary, begin the process of Rapid Reanimation. (RR is often referred to as Really wRong because: first, it only happens if the Subject's life is at danger; and second, there is historically an 18% chance of death and an additional 26% chance of other permanent physical or mental damage.)
    • The Subject's body is exercised by Manipulators, to maintain flexibility and, ultimately, speed reanimation at the appropriate time.
  • Exiting Stasis:
    • The process of properly exiting stasis takes 38 hours.
    • The Manipulators increase their activity, while various drugs -- for reanimation, nutrition, and mental calming -- are added to the blood now being recirculated.
    • In the 97% of Subjects who enjoyed a normal stasis free of mental activity, the last few hours -- typically 2-4 -- are suddenly alive with dreams in a REM state. Subjects will at first dream wildly, as in normal life, but will, nearer the completion of reanimation, dream much closer to the actual reality that surrounds them. (It is possible for some subjects to be fully aware of their surroundings without being able to physically respond to those surroundings.)
    • Once fully reanimated, the cryo-bed either opens if being attended -- which procedure calls for -- or offers the Subject the ability to open their own cryo-bed, in the case of an unattended reanimation (which should never happen but, in the case of Post 1, did with Meagan Brent).
    • For the first minutes after exiting the cryo-bed, the Subject will be extremely disoriented, both mentally and physically. It typically takes 5-10 minutes for a Subject to regain their senses enough to feel normal, both physically and mentally.
 
Back
Top