Drive in Theaters anyone?

SeaCat

Hey, my Halo is smoking
Joined
Sep 23, 2003
Posts
15,378
I'm sure we've all seen the insurance ad. The guy on the bike pulls up on the side of the road and there's this Drive In Theater.

Hell some of us even remember going to drive ins. (I know I do.:cool:)

Well tomorrow night the wife and I are heading down to the local drive in on the bike. This should be fun.

Anyone else been to one lately? Remember going to one?

Cat
 
my parents say they took me to my first drive-in movie when i was 6 weeks old...
this started an almost weekly family tradition.

I remember the ones that had playgrounds (swings, slides, etc...)in the area below the screen!
and the speakers playing radio stations before the movie began!!

I also remember walking to the bathrooms in the little concessions stand/film projector building at the most inopportune times!

omogosh...soooo many memories...

*mostly good. *Smile~
 
They all disappeared from here a long time ago. That much land was too valuable to waste on mere cinema.
 
We don't have any here anymore :(

I loved the drive in... we'd pile the whole back seat with pillows and blankets, and I'd watch the first movie in the back with my parents sitting up front, and then fall asleep in the back through the second (usually more adult) feature. My mom would make all our own snacks (we never went to get concessions).

I'm even all nostalgic thinking about the speakers you hung over your window... ahh the good ol days... :eek:
 
Last one closed around here about 6 years ago.

When I was a student, the only cinema in town was a drive in - lots of us used to walk up with blankets and sit on the car mounds, or up the back against the kiosk wall. Or a carload would roll in - anything up to 10 people in one car...

good times.
 
There's one where I used to live in TN that's still open.

A few years ago there was one about four hours north of me that I was at but I haven't been that way in a while.
 
The last one in my home town was destroyed by a tornado in the early 60's...there were three still open in Atlanta when I left in '97...never went to one tho.

They weren't called passion pits for nothing...the last 3 rows were strictly for sexual activities...many a cherry was popped during the second feature. ;)
 
I remember when my mother made me get ready for bed early one night. But then after i got in my pjs, she told me to get in the car and we drove to the drive in to see "Jaws 2". That was on Long island and that drive was replaced by a multiplex in the 80's.
I still think there is one in Greenwood, SC but I never had a nostalgic reason to go back.
 
Ours is still up and running, it usually shuts down Thanksgiving weekend every year. No longer does it have the speakers that hang in your window, instead you must turn to a certain station on your radio.

The only thing I absolutely hated about the drive-in was the toilet squares-yes toilet squares. Instead of on the roll kind of toilet paper they had these little tissue dispensors that gave you two ply paper squares. They where kind of shiny to the touch so you needed lots to get done what needed to be done only thing is you get ONE square at a time-tissue paper is thicker!
Ours still has the same dispensors!!! I take a roll of my own-dont care if I look odd carrying my own!

I still love the retro cartoons for the consession stand.

Memories...
C
 
Ours is still up and running, it usually shuts down Thanksgiving weekend every year. No longer does it have the speakers that hang in your window, instead you must turn to a certain station on your radio.

I think this goes for mine as well. It's up in Warwick, New York, but that is only a five or ten minute drive from my house.

The first movie that I remember seeing there was E.T., though I have been told that I saw Star Wars there. I must have been really young to not remember that though. The last movie that I saw was Backdraft. I think they had the radio tuning all the way back then.

I prefer in door theaters now though, so I have had no reason to go back. I have never driven to one, only been driven by my parrents.
 
I do remember them well! Lots of fun as a child with my parents and into my late 20s with friends. There are none that I'm aware of near where I live now.
 
We have two drive-ins here. They use them as flea markets on the weekend, too. Plenty of parking! And plenty of kewl playground stuff for the kiddies.

Drive-ins are making a come-back in some places. No more speaker-boxes, you use your car radio.
 
Ours is still up and running, it usually shuts down Thanksgiving weekend every year. No longer does it have the speakers that hang in your window, instead you must turn to a certain station on your radio.


Ours is the same open until the last of August. It"s very popular with families.
 
I remember them as a kid and a teenager.

My favorite memory is being in a carload of guys going to see Jayne Mansfield's "nudie" flick, Promises, Promises(?). We were drinking beer and trying to "maintain our cool" like the Joe College types we were.

Then she came on the screen--topless--and the windshield immediately fogged up. Had anyone bothered to look in our direction, they'd have seen an uncounted number of heads popping out of the car's side windows as we frantically tried to get a look while laughing at ourselves.

Rumple Foreskin :cool:
 
I remember driveins when they were still quite new. By that, I mean they had been around about ten years or so. One night a week was "buck-night" when the whole carfull got in for a dollar. Otherwise it was X amount for adults and Y amount for kids. Of course, they couldn't count the kid in the trunk or lying on the floor in the back seat.

I'm surprised they would have an X-rated film like the Jayne Mansfield one. Back then, topless would have meant X-rated, espceially with a body like hers. It would be no more than R-rated now.

They were a part of growing up back then, but I haven't even seen one in at least twenty years.
 
I'm sure we've all seen the insurance ad. The guy on the bike pulls up on the side of the road and there's this Drive In Theater.

Hell some of us even remember going to drive ins. (I know I do.:cool:)

Well tomorrow night the wife and I are heading down to the local drive in on the bike. This should be fun.

Anyone else been to one lately? Remember going to one?

Cat

There's one near old route 66 about 50 miles from here. Over the summer, hubby and I packed up the kiddo and went over there to see a Wall-E and Kung Fu Panda double feature. I made up some popcorn and snacks to take along. I think it cost us like $6 to get in. It was a lot of fun, but nothing like I remembered back in the day when we had two or three drive-in's near where we live. I can remember my dad taking us in his van. While he and my step-mom were getting stoned, we kids were watching the other movie going on out the back window. The other movie was always something with nudity that we were not supposed to be watching. Good times.
 
I'm sure we've all seen the insurance ad. The guy on the bike pulls up on the side of the road and there's this Drive In Theater.

Hell some of us even remember going to drive ins. (I know I do.:cool:)

Well tomorrow night the wife and I are heading down to the local drive in on the bike. This should be fun.

Anyone else been to one lately? Remember going to one?

Cat


Hi Cat.

We had one here up until maybe five years ago. It was billed as the last drive-in in the world. I thought it was ............. you mean they lied?

It would be packed on weekends, usually sell out before the movie started. On weekdays it was like 4 dollars per carload, no people limit.

I went a couple times on weekends, it was kinda a huge parking lot party, everbody drinking, smoking, and the cars with huge clouds of smoke pouring out was not just smoking cigarrettes.

It was fun to watch a movie with friends and be comfortable. A ice chest full of beer for them and ice tea for me, cracking jokes during the movie and nobody getting mad about the noise. I could light a cigarrette and the worst that would happen is somebody say crank your window down more.

We didn't go to the concession stands or restrooms because the rumours were you could get food poisoning in the restrooms and sexually transmitted STDs in the snack bar.

It was fun, I didn't know there was any left anywhere. I dunno if you should go on your bike. Don't you have a lil truck? I saw people with lawn chairs in the back bed of thier pick-up trucks. You could bring a bar-b-cue grill and serve spicy pig sandwiches or some of that other stuff you make and put the concession stand out of business.

:rose:
 
...We didn't go to the concession stands or restrooms because the rumours were you could get food poisoning in the restrooms and sexually transmitted STDs in the snack bar...

:rose:

Ahhhhhhhh ! LISA !!!!

Very few peeps 'round heah have such a delightfully wonderful and topsy-turvy way of playing with sentences and words. You help make enduring an absurd world reasonably tolerable.

:catgrin:

 
We have a local drive-in theatre (West of Toronto) and it is still quite popular.

I myself have enjoyed not seeing many films there...;)
 
It's been a year or two since I went, but we have an operating Drive-In here. Take the truck and park backwards toward the back of the lot. Drop the tailgate and blow up the air mattress that fills the bed of the pickup. Set the radio up on the tool box behind us. The cooler on one side or the other. Light blankets are de rigueur as the night can get very chilly if staying late. They run three movies that start at dusk. Of course the blankets are useful for other reasons.
 
Back
Top