Seduced by the Squire (closed for cumnchat)

' You, sir, come with me. We need to have a talk.'

Joshua hung his head and followed Bridget to the study like a naughty child, where she turned and faced him her her arms folded across her bosom and a stern look on her face, a raised questioning eyebrow.

'Now, just how long has this affair been going on? Oh, don't try to get out of it. You just as much admitted it in front of her husband. And Dougan...'

Joshua saw a twinkle in her eye and knew that his darling Bridget was toying with him,

"'Twasn't me that started it, 'twas Carrie, you saw how she threw herself at me to thank me for her wrapper, I wouldn't,,,, I couldn't. 'Sides Dougan is bigger than me."

Bridget shook her finger at him in mock anger as she backed him into a corner,

'Now, you listen to me, and you listen good. Don't you ever do that again, do you understand? I am your one and only mistress, have you got that clear? And I don't share!'

"But Bridget dear how could you think such a thing of me when the only lewd thoughts I have are all of you?"

He gathered her in his arms laughing and began to lift the back of her dress in order that he might get a better grip on her bare backside. He would have gone further but Bridget stopped him, the first time ever and spoke seriously to him.

'Beside, with this business with Isaac, something like that might not be the best thing to joke about. I heard that they are digging out at his house today. I worry about what they will find and I worry that some poor lost souls still lie out there, lost without a proper grave.""

"You are right of course my dear, there is no telling how many are out there."

Something was troubling her and he guessed what it was but waited for her speak first.

'"Dear, They need to be buried in holy ground. What happened to them was not their fault. Can we have created on the grounds a sanctified cemetery for those poor unfortunate ones? They deserve it.'

"So it's that that bothers you, well it is all in hand, I have twelve lusty men working on another project for me, when they have finished I am sure they will be pleased to stay on and do some more digging, You can go and see your priest tomorrow and inform him of our plans and ask him to make arrangements for the cemetery to be blessed."

He gently kissed Bridget's forehead.

At that very moment Dougan thundered on the door,

"Master Joshua Sir, a message from Mr. Clothwood,
they've found another one.
"

Joshua and Bridget looked at each other in consternation and a tear trickled down Bridget's cheek.
 
So it's that that bothers you, well it is all in hand, I have twelve lusty men working on another project for me, when they have finished I am sure they will be pleased to stay on and do some more digging, You can go and see your priest tomorrow and inform him of our plans and ask him to make arrangements for the cemetery to be blessed.

She smiled as he held her in his arms, giving her a kiss on her forehead. He was so sweet, giving her whatever she asked of him. And she could gave happily stayed in his arms, but the banging on the door to the study gave her a start. Dougan's voice came from the other side of the door and for a brief moment, she thought that the man had come to beat up Joshua. But his words tore at her heart.

Master Joshua Sir, a message from Mr. Clothwood,
they've found another one.


She glanced at her husband, seeing the pain in his eyes. She couldn't help the tear that rolled down her cheek. It splashed on the back of Joshua's hand and he gently wiped her face and held her in his arms as she laid her head against his chest.

*****

Estelle had been upstairs when she heard the news. One of the girls had come running up the stairs and the pounding on her bedroom door had started her from her thoughts. She was waiting for Daniel to arrive from his day of digging out at Isaac's. She expected Joshua to send word when the meeting with Daniel was to begin. So when Salome banged on her door and told her that they had found another body at Isaac's, she felt her stomach dip.

If the truth were known, in a way she was glad that she had killed the man. Oh, it was a true accident, and she was sure that once Daniel heard the truth that she would spend time in prison for it. But a man as evil as Isaac Crabbe deserved to die a slow and painful death and she could only hope that his afterlife in hell was miserable and that he was slowly roasting over a hot fire.

She felt sorry for all the grief that this was causing Joshua and Bridget. They really were a great couple and it was sad that something like this should mar their start of marital bliss.

As she left her room, she ran into Carrie as she waddled down the hall towards the stairs. The very pregnant women still had several months left before she would give birth, but she walked with one hand on her swollen belly.

"Estelle, did yew 'ear? They found another one!"

"Yes, Carrie, I did."

They headed off down the stairs in search of Joshua.
 
Bathsheba's young beau, the constable who had freed her and spent every moment of his free time with her was Roland Steed and he rushed to Bathsheba when he returned from Isaac Crabbe's house after a hard day's digging.

"'Ave ya 'eard Bathsheba? We fahnd annuver poor gal today but we fink we can identify her, we fahnd a locket buried wiv 'er, some sorta inscription on it in a foreign language, Spanish, so Mr. Clothwood reckons."

Bathsheba's face paled and she began to cry, tears rolling down her once rosy cheeks.

"NO ROLAND, it can't be true, Crabbe sed she 'ad bin sold on, the locket belonged ta ma best friend, Rosa, Rosa Mendez she sed 'er name was."

"Bathsheba love, ya must tell Mr. Clothwood or 'is Lordship all ya know, cud 'elp 'em find who is orchestrating all this."

Roland hugged her tight and she hugged him back.

Roland took Bathsheba to Joshua's study and after knocking on the door and being told to enter they both stood in front of Joshua and Clothwood.

"Bathsheba reckons she knows who the girl is that we found today, I fink she can tell us a lot more if ya ask the right questions, but be gentle wiv 'er she's mighty upset."

Joshua immediately bade them both to sit and said,

"Anything you can tell us about this poor unfortunate girl will help, I think that Estelle would be best to question you, she understands grief so well."

At that moment Estelle entered the study, she had heard that Daniel was back and she wanted to get her confession over and done with.

"Ah Estelle the very person we need, any other business will have to wait."

He caught Estelle's eye and gave her a shake of his head warning her to say nothing. They explained the situation to Estelle and she gently questioned Bathsheba about Rosa Mendez.
After about an hour they knew that Rosa was indeed Spanish and had worked as a housemaid at 22 The Strand, a large well to do house overlooking the River Thames. According to what Rosa had told Bathsheba she had been abducted from the house itself. She had been alone in the house one morning and answered the doorbell upon which her mouth had been covered and she was bundled into a waiting carriage. She had been put to sleep and woke up in chains in Isaac's dungeon. That was all Bathsheba could tell them for now and she and Roland were dismissed and warned not to breathe a word to anyone.

Daniel was jubilant, "At last we have something to work with, an identification, an address and a scene of crime. A policeman's dream."

Joshua was a little more cautious and suggested "Could we not use part of what we know to tempt Perkins into paying a visit to his master?"

"Excellent idea my boy, let's see to it that Perkins overhears us."
 
Ever since they had targeted Perkins as someone who might be spying on them, they had taken special pains to make themselves aware of just where he always was. Silas had been assigned to keep an eye on the man, to follow him whenever and wherever he should go. He was told to be discreet about it at all times, to blend in without being noticed.

Once it was decided what information they would use, it was decided to try and tempt him with subterfuge. First, Bridget went outside where a group of the men were working. The men had always been polite to her, but since the wedding and her now being Lady Lexford, they always removed their hats and made her feel like royalty. And being pregnant with the progeny of Lord Lexford, they seemed to treat as if she were made of fine china.

She noted that Perkins was among the men working. Smiling, she asked, "Gentlemen, I have a project that I need done. Would some of you be willing to help me?" Of course, every one of them jumped up and offered to help her in whatever it was. About then, Joshua walked up and slipped his arm about her. She was getting ready to tell him about her project when Dougan came running across the lawn calling to them. They rushed over to him, meeting him halfway. This put them out of earshot of the men as Dougan whispered to them that Clothwood was waiting in the study with some important information.

Joshua and Bridget pretended to be upset and worried and the three of them rushed off back to the manor, the project supposedly forgotten.

When they entered the study, Estelle, Daniel, and Carrie were waiting for them. Daniel turned from the window.

"He is following, but slower and more casual. He should be here in a minute. We should already be in conversation."

He nodded to the 5 others in the room and Estelle, Carrie, Dougan, Joshua, and Bridget started the story as agreed upon. Bridget mainly sat on the sofa and cried as Daniel told about finding the new body.
 
They arranged themselves around the study making sure the window was partly open and Daniel stood closest to the widow so that anyone who might be listening would not miss a word. Joshua sat next to Bridget with his arm around her to comfort her as she supposedly sobbed into her handkerchief. Dougan was comforting Carrie as she too wiped tears from her eyes. The tears from both women were real enough but Estelle remained dry eyed she still had to confess to Daniel.

",,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so we have ascertained that it was the body of a young girl aged about eighteen or nineteen, normally that would be the limit of our knowledge but we also found a piece of jewellery which leads us to believe she may be of Spanish descent. We will check all reports of missing Spanish girls made in the last six months, there should not be that many so we should know much more within two or three days."

He gave a grim smile as he delivered his final warning,

"I do not need to tell you the importance of keeping this to ourselves, we do not wish to set alarm bells ringing with the perpetrators of this heinous crime."

Daniel glanced out of the window and saw Perkins hurrying away.

"It seems he has taken the bait, all now depends on Silas keeping him in sight and telling us where Perkins goes."

They all gathered round Daniel to congratulate him on his masterful speech, all except Estelle that is who hung back knowing that what she was about to tell him would put him in an invidious position. Joshua noticed this and drew Estelle to one side,

"You cannot tell him today my dear, not this day of all days when we are so close, I beg you, wait until it is done with, then tell him if you must,
in the meantime take as much pleasure as you can from your feelings for him.
"

"Thank you for those kind words Joshua, you are right, I want him in my bed so dearly and I will do my best to ensure that is where he ends up."

She blushed as she spoke, it was unusual for her to speak so freely about her feelings but Joshua had eased her conscience somewhat.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Oi'm sorry to bring such bad news Sir but oi did what yew sed an' kept me ears open. Oi thought yew should know straightaway Sir."

Perkins quaked before his master and fair jumped out of his skin as the Malacca cane smashed down on the oak desk. His master's face was purple with fury.

"I am not angry at you Perkins, you have served me well. 'Tis the numbskulls who buried the girls, I gave strict instructions for them to ensure that the bodies could not be identified and what do they do? Practically leave a calling card. Are you certain you are not suspected? No one followed you here?"

Perkins looked aggrieved at the suggestion that he might be suspected at the Manor and followed.

"No Sir oi'm as clean as the driven snow in their eyes,
the mistress, Lady Lexford seems to loike me, always asking me to do little jobs for her.
"

"Ah yes, Lady Lexford, she is reputed to be something of a beauty and Crabbe had her in his grasp and let her go, when things quieten down we shall have to see about her being my guest for a while"

Perkins left shortly after, not seeing Silas lurking in the shadows.
 
Estelle sat quiet over to the side, watching everyone slowly file out of the study as their mark headed off to hopefully make his report to whoever it was running this horrible business. She crossed to the window, staring out it off in the distance but not really seeing anything. Her eyes didn't see the young ladies laughing as they crossed the lawn to head for the rose garden. They had started cutting flowers every three or four days and filling the various vases and containers with the sweet smelling flowers.

Daniel started to leave until he noticed the figure at the window. Crossing to stand behind her, he placed his hands on her shoulders. She leaned back against him and, despite the fact that he was worried about her and what could be bothering her, he felt his cock stir.

"Estelle, something bothers you? You know that you can talk to me."

She reached a hand up and pat his hand. "I know, Daniel. Do you think that this will work?"

"Is that what bothers you?" He turned her to face him. "We will solve this problem. I cannot allow such an atrocity to happen and not try stop it. These poor girls did not deserve this."

She buried her face against his chest and he slid a finger under her chin, lifting her face to his to kiss her. Estelle could not help herself as she lifted her arms to wrap them around his neck and kiss him back. She was lost in his arms. Neither of them noticed Joshua closing the study door, giving them a bit of privacy.

Bridget stepped up behind her husband and enjoyed the start he gave at being caught. Never mind that what he was doing was not bad, the man still looked guilty and Bridget raised an eyebrow.

"Joshua, what are you up..." She didn't get a chance to finish before he was shushing her and hurrying her up the stairs towards the master bedroom. As he closed the bedroom door and turned to her, she placed her hands in her hips and tried looking stern.

"You seem to think that sex solves everything!"
 
Bridget looked sternly at him albeit with a twinkle in her eye as he closed the bedroom door behind them.

' You seem to think that sex solves everything '

"You misunderstand my intentions but if you are feeling playful then I will play."

Joshua moved to encircle her plumpish waist with his arms and gather the back of her dress in his hands slowly revealing her stockings and then her now plump naked rear. His hands moved smoothly over her soft bottom and pressed her into him kissing her swan like neck as she lifted her face to him.

"I brought you here so that we might give Daniel and Estelle time to talk and decide what they want from each other although there is no doubt in my mind that both want more than friendship but neither has the courage to declare it, I have spoken to Estelle and she has confirmed my suspicions, she desires Daniel greatly and told me of her intentions to get him in her bed"

With that he lifted Bridget off her feet and walked her backwards to the beckoning bed, where he gently laid her down and began loosening the front of her dress.

"I think we can allow them a couple of hours at least"

He mumbled as his lips met Bridget's in a loving passion filled kiss.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When Daniel kissed Estelle it was no more than a kindly gesture but her kiss in reply surprised him with its intensity and her arms around his neck pulled them closer together closer than they had ever been. He wanted to pull away but Estelle's arms held him close.

"We are good friends are we not Daniel?"

Estelle whispered huskily,

"Of course we are Estelle, there is no denying that, we work well together."

Daniel was unsure as to where this was leading and tried to stay professional.

"Yes I agree Daniel but sometimes work needs to take a backseat and friends should relax and play a little,"

Estelle was attempting to be subtle about this but Daniel was living up to his name 'CLOTHEARED AND WOODEN HEADED.' In exasperation she snorted,

"Daniel listen to me, it is you who should be wooing me not the other way round, you do LIKE me in that way don't you?"

Daniel was almost speechless he had been trying for days to summon the nerve to declare himself to Estelle, but here she was declaring that she loved him, or so it seemed to him.

"Yes, yes Estelle I do LIKE you in that way but I could not bring myself to tell you for fear of losing your friendship."

"Thank goodness for that, I thought I might be making a fool of myself but you have not only my friendship but my love. If you are not busy after supper tonight come to my room and we'll find some games that two adult friends can play."

Daniel felt that a huge weight had been lifted and his eyes twinkled for the first time since he began the investigation.

"Until supper then my dear."
 
It was a relatively happy group that gathered together for supper. Bridget and Joshua had spent several hours making gentle love in their bedroom. As Bridget continued to increase in size, she became more amorous. But ever mindful of her health, Joshua was a gentle lover and would frequently kiss her belly and speak softly to the baby within. They took a quick nap and Joshua spooned her with one hand resting on her belly and the other hand cupping her breast, somewhat heavier as it prepared itself so that it could provide nourishment. It was still too early for her to produce milk but she could tell that they were growing larger and heavier. As supper time approached, he awoke her with a gentle kiss and helped her to dress for supper.

In Dougan and Carrie's room, Carrie remained in bed, not feeling very well. Dougan worried over her, but she assured him that something that she ate must not have agreed with her. It was too early for the baby though one arriving early was not unheard of. Still, if It were her time now, the baby and the mother could be in danger. Dougan ignored his wife's protests and sent for Doctor Brady. While the Doctor checked over the mother to be, the poor man paced back and forth outside their bedroom. When he was allowed back in, he was informed that everything looked fine but suggested that Carrie spend the next couple of days in bed taking it easy and avoid eating cabbage.

Dougan worried over his wife and promised to bring her some bread and broth up for supper. Everyone was worried about her, and Bridget wished to rush right up and check on her friend, but Joshua told her no and Dougan spent supper upstairs with his wife. Dr. Brady joined the supper table and Jean was quickly found and sat with them. Everyone pretended not to notice that they held hands throughout the meal. Leslie had been at home when Dougan had sent to him and though Joshua offered him a room for the night, he said that he would need to return home as soon as he was through eating as he was expecting to have to leave in the middle of the night. Mrs Jennings was due any time now and years of experience told him the tonight may just be the night.

Daniel and Estelle sat beside each other, saying little but making furtive glances to each other. No one said anything about Perkins or the plan that they had set in motion. All they could do was continue on and wait to hear from Silas to see if their plan had worked.
 
When supper was over Leslie left for home after spending a good fifteen minutes saying goodbye to Jean out of sight of the rest. Jean returned looking flushed and her bodice not properly tied.
Joshua as usual teased Jean asking why she had not returned home with Leslie, which only served to flush Jean's face further and earn Joshua a kick on the shins under the table from Bridget.

"What about you Daniel? Are you game for a few hands of Bridge? You and Estelle will make excellent partners."

Daniel blustered that he did not know the game well enough but Estelle broke in, laughing.

"Do stop your teasing Joshua, Daniel and I are going to my room and we do not wish to be disturbed under any circumstances save that of the Manor burning down. 'Tis due to you that this has come about and we thank you for it. "

She got up and walked round the table to give Joshua a big kiss. She took hold of Daniel's hand and said,

"Come along Mr. Policeman, I do hope you have your handcuffs."

As they left Joshua leaned back in his chair, spluttering with laughter,

"I wonder who will actually be wearing the handcuffs? Maybe we could borrow them sometime, Bridget?"
 
Bridget usually took her husband's jokes with a grain of salt. He was after all a very amorous man, and he had turned on a passionate side of hers. But his last remark had hit too close to home, reminding her if the 24 hours spent under Isaac's tortuous grip. It reminded her that Daniel, though having become a friend of the family, was still an officer of the law. He still had not talked to her about her time with Isaac and she suspected that he had not talked to Jean yet either.

Somewhat coolly, she rose from the table, announcing, " I think that I shall prepare for bed. Jean, would you be so kind to assist me?"

Joshua held her chair for her and before he could dismiss Jean, she held a hand up to him. "No dear, you take it easy. Jean will help me."

Without realizing it, Bridget gracefully left the room with Jean walking behind her. In that moment, she had no idea that she moved with one born of nobility, gliding with her head held high.

Once she reached her bedroom, with just Jean watching, she lost that cool nobility and a pained expression crossed her face.

"Ar' yew all right, m' Lady? Shuld Oi fetch Lesl... Oi mean..."

Bridget cut her off. "No, that is not it. Has Daniel, I mean, Clothwood questioned you yet about your time, well, uh..."

Jean shook her head as she helped undress her Ladyship. Now she understood the change in the woman's attitude.

"No. An' it makes me nervous ta be 'round 'im. Oi wish 'e'd do it an' git it over wid. Yew to?"

Bridget nodded and surprised Jean by not wanting to wait up for Joshua. She climbed into bed and thanked Jean for her assistance. As Jean quietly slipped out of the room, Bridget turned on her side, the rest of the bed behind her suddenly cold and empty without her husband. Her tears silently splashed on her pillow as she closed her eyes. She was once again in that evil man's grasp, being tortured once more.
 
Joshua, left on his own was for once at a loss as to what to do with himself, he felt that he must have done or said something wrong as Bridget had left so abruptly and hadn't even offered him a kiss so unlike her. He thought over the events at supper and what had been said. Of course he had teased Jean and remarked on Estelle's question about Daniel's handcuffs, but all that was in his nature, it was expected of him. Try as he might he could think of no reason why Bridget would suddenly go cold on him.
Finally he squared his shoulders, he would go to Bridget and ask her, he hated the thought of her being angry with him or him being at odds with her, that was not the basis for a happy marriage.
The room was in darkness when he gotto the bedroom and he could just make out Bridget's huddled form.

Bridget? Bridget my love are you awake?"

No response, but he had a feeling that Bridget was indeed awake but was choosing not to speak to him. Naked, as usual he climbed into bed beside her but she remained curled up in a foetal position. Once again he spoke to her in a hushed voice.

"Bridget, I know you are awake, please talk to me, tell me what is wrong, If you have an axe to grind with me then tell me so that I can put it right."

He slipped his arm around her to feel her swollen belly knowing that she enjoyed that so much but still she lay unmoved although her shoulders heaved slightly as though she was crying. Becoming more concerned he wondered if there was something wrong with the babe that she dare not tell him. He knew that he needed answers, else he would not sleep so he hoisted her into a sitting position and cradled her lovingly in his arms.

"There, there my love, tell me what troubles you so, I had thought that all was well what with this terrible business hopefully near to an end."

He did not realise that he had stirred up those awful memories.
 
In the dark, alone without Joshua, the room seemed so cold. Then she heard footsteps and she held her breath. The door opened and then closed behind him. His presence seemed to fill the space.

Bridget? Bridget my love are you awake?

She was quiet. What could she say? How could she explain what she found so hard to understand herself. The bed dipped as he climbed into bed beside her. Suddenly there was warmth. But her heart still hurt. Tears silently slipped down her cheeks, wetting the pillow beneath her head. She wondered if eventually he would give up and think that she was asleep.

Bridget, I know you are awake, please talk to me, tell me what is wrong, If you have an axe to grind with me then tell me so that I can put it right.

His arm found its way around her, a large hand on her stomach and the baby within. That started the tears afresh and suddenly he pulled her to him, lifting her until she was cradled in his lap like a small child. He began to sooth her.

There, there my love, tell me what troubles you so, I had thought that all was well what with this terrible business hopefully near to an end.

She turned her face to his chest, crying hard and wetting him. For a time, he just rocked back and forth, calming her as he stroked her hair. Once she had calmed down a bit, she tried to gather her thoughts. She knew that he would not stop until she told him what was bothering her.

"When Isaac had me, he bound me before..." She dropped her head, and softly spoke. "When you spoke of handcuffs..." She couldn't finish, once again crying against his bare chest.
 
As Joshua cradled Bridget she eventually turned to him and buried her face against his chest and her tears spilled onto his chest and ran in rivulets down his body. He just held her, quietly, lovingly until she was all cried out, then she spoke, haltingly.

'"When Isaac had me, he bound me before... When you spoke of handcuffs..." '

Then the tears started again, wetting his bare chest.

Joshua was shocked and angry at himself, his remark concerning handcuffs had been meant as a jest with no thought for Bridget's ordeal at the hands of his cousin.

"OH Bridget my love, how thoughtless of me, how crass, I never gave your feelings a moments thought. That is what comes of trying to be a jester, a crass, stupid jester at that."

He held her closer to him and tilted her tear stained face and kissed her eyes to stem the floods of tears. He kissed her soft sweet lips gently, attempting to kiss away the painful memories.

"I am an insensitive fool my darling but I love you with all of my being. If you wish to punish me then so be it, I deserve it, but let me tell you first that no one will ever cause you such pain again."

They lay together with Bridget wrapped in his arms, rocking her slowly until he felt that she was sleeping, he laid her down and snuggled against her warm plump body, his arm snaked around her and he caressed her belly once more, then as sleep came to him he cupped a large firm breast in his hand.

"Sleep well my love." He murmured drowsily.
 
She knew in the back of her mind that he had not meant anything by it, but it still hurt. Still dredged up those awful memories of being repeatedly raped and tortured. She wondered if that horrible thing that he had tied her to was still down in the dungeon. If the truth were known, when this whole sordid business was over, she hoped that Joshua would destroy the thing, hacking it apart and burning it.

Still she was ashamed to be so weak. Plus she knew that being so upset was not good for the baby. She heard his sudden intake of air as she tried to explain.

OH Bridget my love, how thoughtless of me, how crass, I never gave your feelings a moments thought. That is what comes of trying to be a jester, a crass, stupid jester at that.

She felt safe in his arms as he lifted her face to kiss her lips. He held get gently and the look he gave her was remorseful.

I am an insensitive fool my darling but I love you with all of my being. If you wish to punish me then so be it, I deserve it, but let me tell you first that no one will ever cause you such pain again.

He was gentle, every movement showing the love that he had for her. The rocking continued, something that she found comforting until slowly she relaxed. She knew not exactly when it happened, but at some time in the night when she awoke to answer the call of nature, she had been sleeping in his arms with his hand splayed over the tiny life growing there. Once she had finished and crawled back into bed, even in his sleep he automatically took her in his arms. His hand slipped around her and spread his fingers over the baby within her. Sleep quickly came to her.
 
When Joshua woke it wasn't fom the usual ministrations that Bridget employed but he was quite happy to just lay quietly with his beloved Bridget snuggled in his arms. He thought how fortunate he was and yet last night he had almost destroyed them yet Bridget was here and placing her trust in him firmly on his shoulders. Without waking her he moved on his side and gently spooned against her, not entering her but letting his cock head rest at her rear entrance.

"Bridget, oh Bridget I love you so." he murmured as he kissed her naked white alabaster shoulder. Then he drifted off again to be woken later by Dougan knocking loudly on the bedroom door.

"Can you come down quickly Sir? Silas has returned and oi cin tell by 'is face 'e 'as news, Mr Clothwood is on 'is way down now Sir."

Joshua jerked awake and threw the bedclothes back uncovering both his and Bridget's naked bodies.

"I'll be there in two shakes Dougan, tell Daniel to wait for me."

He threw on a long dressing gown and a pair of slippers then turned to Bridget who appeared to be stirring, woken by the noise no doubt.

"I have to go my love Silas is back with news, good news I hope." He kissed her quickly before hurrying down to his study where he found Silas and Daniel poring over a map of London.

"Welcome back Silas, morning Daniel. You look like the cat that's got the cream Silas, you have good news I trust?"

"You don't know the half of it Joshua, If what Silas tells me is correct then..........."

"Oh , it's correct a'wroight, oi checked everyfing afore oi left" Silas broke in thinking that he was not believed.

Daniel continued, a grave, worried look on his face.

"Then we are on the brink of a scandal that will rock the whole establishment, if it is not correct then we may as well pack our bags and move to the Americas."

"What is it Daniel? Tell me I beg you, I am on tenterhooks" Joshua pleaded not realising the implications of Silas's news.

Before he answered Daniel went to the window to ensure that there was no one outside listening and he closed the window firmly and pulled the heavy drapes over to muffle any sound, then they lit some candles. All these precautions convinced Joshua that whatever it was, it was stupendous.

"Silas tells me that he followed Perkins to an address in The Strand, number twenty six to be precise, he spent one hour and a half in there before he left. Silas then had the foresight to make discreet enquiries as to who resides there."

"But we knew that it would be someone of some wealth and maybe importance,
that they reside on The Strand means nothing.
"

"In the ordinary way of things Joshua you are right, but do you remember the address we have for the poor unfortunate Rosa Martinez?"

"Why of course I remember it was number twenty two The Strand................"
His voice trailed off as the significance hit him.

"Precisely Joshua, a huge coincidence that our suspect should live only two doors away. I suspect that Rosa caught his eye as he would possibly see her several times a day and he had her abducted to be taken to Isaac's where he could visit and use her for his pleasure."

"Yes I can see that but how does that concern the Establishment, or us if we are wrong? We apologise, pay some compensation and continue our enquiries .I don't see the problem Daniel. "

"You don't see Joshua because you are not in possession of all the facts. Do you know who lives at number twenty six?"

Joshua shook his head , he was confused, they had a strong suspect who should at the very least be questioned.

"Does it become any clearer if I tell you that Roland Hamilton our Lord High Sheriff lives there? He wields great power and if we proceed with this we need to have every single fact double and triple checked or we will be accused of some treasonable act or sedition at least."

Joshua was thunderstruck, while he was not exactly friends with the man he had supped at Joshua's table once or twice.

"This is quite a shock Daniel I will need to think on it a while, I will talk to you again after lunch."

Joshua trudged upstairs to Bridget who was only half dressed, well, not even half dressed, just her stockings.

"The news was a mixed bag."

He declared keeping all the facts from her not wanting to put more weight on her pretty shoulders.
 
Last edited:
A rude banging on the bedroom door stirred Bridget from her sleep. She felt Joshua's arms around her, his hand gently stroking her belly. Her brain was still fuzzy from sleep so the words that Dougan spoke did not make sense but at least she recognized that it was Dougan. At first she feared that Carrie had gotten worse. As she tried to gather her jumbled thoughts, Joshua calmed her fears.

I have to go my love Silas is back with news, good news I hope.

With a quick kiss, he headed out the door and down the stairs. Bridget rang and Jean quickly appeared. Following Bridget's request, she gathered the dress that Bridget wanted to wear. She laid it across the chair as Bridget questioned her about Carrie.

"Do you know how Carrie is? Is she feeling better?"

"Oi du believe that she is a 'andful fer Dougan. She wants ta get up an' she is complainin' that she cain't 'ave 'er cabbage." Jean giggled.

"Well, it's just until the baby is born."

Jean helped her with her morning ablutions and then she sent the young girl off. Alone in the bedroom, she stood naked before the mirror gently stroking the gentle swell of her belly. She smiled, feeling fiercely protective of the little one growing inside her.

"Little one, your mommy and daddy love you now, and will love you even more after you are born." She wondered if it was a boy or a girl. They would soon have to settle on names for each, though she knew that if it was a boy, his name must show the prestige of the family.

She was sitting on the bed having just finished putting on her stockings when Joshua burst through the door.

The news was a mixed bag.

And that was all he would say. She didn't want to press him too much so she continued to dress. He was very sweet and he kissed her, not pressing her for sex but rather snuggling her and kissing her belly, and talking to the baby.

Once he had helped her dress, he headed off, doing whatever it was that a Lord did around his manor. She talked to Cook about the menu for the rest of the week, making changes as necessary. As she passed through the hall, the morning posts lay on the small table by the front door. She began to separate the mail, the majority of the missives were for her husband.

One envelope caught her attention, addressed to Lord and Lady Lexford. Opening the envelope, she was excited to find an invite to a party at the home of the Lord High Sheriff Roland Hamilton celebrating his seven years serving his community.

A party! A chance to wear that new purple dress that she had made while in Ireland. She found Jean and explained what would be needed, setting the girl busy making sure that her dress would be ready. And Jean would be going with them to take care of Bridget should she need assistance so Jean would need to wear her new dress too.

She checked on Carrie, spending an hour with her and talking about upcoming motherhood. They compared swollen bellies, and Carrie's baby was quite active and the two women spent time giggling over the thumps and bumps that the baby made.

As Bridget headed down the stairs, she caught sight of her husband heading into his study.

"Joshua, love! Look what arrived in the mail. Our first party to attend as husband and wife! I'm so excited!" She handed him the invitation which she had kept in her pocket of her dress. As he read it, the look on his face surprised her.
 
'Joshua, love! Look what arrived in the mail. Our first party to attend as husband and wife! I'm so excited!"

Joshua took the invitation from Bridget's excited hand, as he read it his brow furrowed and he frowned.

"An invitation from Roland Hamilton to a party? Why would he invite us? He has never invited us before, I barely know the man, there must be some ulterior motive"

Joshua's voice was brusque and dismissive, he made it plain that he intended to decline the invitation. It was then that Daniel put in an appearance smiling broadly,

"What a turn up Joshua, I have an invitation to sup with Roland Hamilton, what an opportunity."

Joshua gave a warning look to him that conveyed that he had not told Bridget of their suspicions and for him not to give the game away, or at least not until he'd had the chance to talk to Daniel.

"Run along Bridget and keep Carrie company, Daniel and I have important business to discuss."

He motioned with his head towards his study and held the door open for Daniel, once the door was closed behind them he launched into Clothwood.

"DANIEL! Do not tell me you intend to go to this supper party, it has to be a trap of some sort, he must be suspicious. To invite one of us would be cause for concern but to invite us both, it seems to me that he has an ulterior motive."

"That is precisely why we must attend, he thinks we know something but he doesn't know exactly what, so he will ask questions, when a worried man asks questions he doesn't already know the answers to he can give away more than he realises"

"I understand that Daniel but we will have our ladies with us, we cannot put them in danger"

" None of us will be in danger, even Roland Hamilton cannot make a party of four people disappear without questions being asked. "

"I see your point but there will be five of us as Jean will accompany us as Bridget and Estelle's maid"

At lunch Joshua told Bridget that they would attend the supper and warmed to the happy glow in Bridget's cheeks.

That afternoon they set about making themselves look their very best although it seemed that both couples took an age to dress and both Bridget and Estelle had bright eyes and rosy cheeks and Joshua and Daniel nodded to each other with knowing smiles, they had made sure that their respective partners not only looked beautiful but felt good between their legs.

At eight o' clock they arrived at twenty six The Strand and were met by liveried footmen who escorted them inside and took their cloaks.
 
Bridget fairly beamed as they entered the party. She was wearing her new purple gown and before they had left for the party, she had slipped in to where Carrie was laying fidgeting in bed. The mother to be had gushed over the dress and Bridget had asked when she would be able to get up.

"Doctor Brady will 'opefully give me tha all clear tomorrow.

Joshua had been very attentive that afternoon, giving her a very thorough and sound fucking that put such a wonder glow to her cheeks. Now, in essence, she was moving in social circles that as a child she had never dared hoping to move in. Music lightly filtered from one room as Joshua led her through the receiving line to be welcomed by the Lord High Sheriff Roland Hamilton. The man was very imposing as he greeted her and welcomed them to his home. Somewhat afraid that she might say something wrong, she smiled and let Joshua answer for both of them.

Right behind them were Daniel and Estelle and after the introductions, they headed into a room where people were gathered. Everywhere people were talking and laughing and for a moment Bridget was self conscious, aware that there were not a lot of pregnant women in the room. But she knew that she had nothing to be ashamed of. After all, she was Lady Lexford. Bridget watched what the other women wore, noting that her dress was just as beautiful as theirs, if not more so. She looked around and didn't see Jean. Worried, she asked Joshua where the young girl had gone.

As they stood to one side, Joshua would point out just who was who. Names that she had heard of but never met. And soon they would be called in to eat. She was excited to see just what would be served.
 
Joshua was excited by the thought of the upcoming party but for entirely different reasons to Bridget, first he had convinced her that she need to be so well fucked that she would not embarrass herself by wetting herself with excitement. He had spent most of the afternoon overcoming that particular obstacle and Bridget showed that he had been forgiven for his gaffe of the night before. Another reason was the thought of bearding the tiger in his den or at least finding out more.
Joshua felt Bridget tremble with excitement as they were greeted by Roland Hamilton as he had a comforting hand on her back. They made their way into the main hall where at least a hundred people mingled, all laughing and chattering at the same time. Joshua reassured Bridget,

"Do not feel overwhelmed or inadequate my love, most are here on sufferance as the Lord High Sheriff has a use for them, although what he wants with the likes of myself and Daniel only he himself knows. Let us make the most of it as I doubt we will be asked again."

Joshua spent a while pointing out various dignitaries who were harmless and obviously to Bridget's delight he introduced some to her, feeling so proud of her at the way she seemed to be at ease in this company. There was one uncomfortable moment when she asked where Jean was as if she expected Jean to be in attendance the whole evening.

"Do not fret my dear she will be downstairs with the other maids and menservants,
if you need her for anything just ask one of the butlers to fetch her for you. Chances are she is having the time of her life.
"

The fact of the matter was that Jean was scared, frightened out of her wits.
It had all begun so well, the beautiful ladies in their beautiful dresses, the gentlemen so handsome, it was like a fairytale to her. As she expected, according to her position she was taken to the kitchen to wait until she was summoned.
Being of a gregarious nature she was soon chatting and laughing with the other servants as they bustled around preparing supper. She was happy until THEY arrived, swaggering in and casting lascivious eyes over the maids. Two men who Jean recognized from her short time at Isaac's. Even there they had taken liberties with the girls.
When they saw Jean their eyes lit with lust.

"Look what we have here, one of Isaac's cast-offs, I wonder who's fucking her now."

They sat down either side of her at the trestle table and one lifted the hem of her dress and ran his hand along the inside of her thighs, grinning lasciviously,
Jean tried to stop his hand from travelling higher but he just laughed,

"What is it? You think you're too good for the likes of us?"

Without further ado they put an arm each under hers and walked her to a quiet pantry and pinned her against the shelves and fondled her breasts and between her legs, her pantaloons were loosened and pulled down and they ravished her promising that they would make this a night to remember.

Jean's eyes flooded with tears and she was only saved from a worse fate when they were interrupted by a cook looking for a large bowl. Jean managed to squirm away and ran to the relative safety of the hustle and bustle of the kitchen where Jean wished the night was over and she could go home to Leslie's arms.
 
Last edited:
A few women looked at her askance but she knew not if it was because she was not of high birth, or because she was with child. She knew that it was not because of her dress as it was just as fashionable as any she saw. She pretended not to notice and smiled at everyone. She was glad that Estelle had taught her manners, how to glide and such.

When the call was given for everyone to be seated for the meal, she was seated close to the middle of the table with Joshua across the table from her. To Joshua's right was seated a woman that was young and very pretty and seemed to hang on her husband's every word when not talking almost nonstop. Daniel was on the woman's other side but she seemed to pay him very little attention. To her husband's other side sat a rather hefty woman who seemed more interested in Joshua's food than in her husband himself.

There was a vacant chair to Bridget left and then Estelle was in the next chair and Daniel was seated across the table from Estelle. On the right side of Bridget was a rather portly man who introduced himself as Uriah Kecks. He seemed to chuckle at everything that was said, whether it was funny or not and she suspected that it was due to nerves. She saw not who was on the other side of Estelle other than it was a man as the seating seemed to alternate as male, female, male, female down both sides of the table.

Bridget was quite surprised when the empty chair between she and Estelle was filled by none other than their host, Lord High Sheriff Roland Hamilton. She felt that what she did would reflect upon her husband and what they were trying to accomplish to rectify all that Isaac had done. She therefore wanted to make a good impression at the dinner table.
 
Last edited:
Seated at the table for dinner Joshua smiled reassuringly at Bridget opposite him looking wonderful, all rosy cheeked and smiling broadly. The vacant chair between Bridget and Estelle puzzled him for a moment, then Roland Hamilton appeared and took the vacant seat. It was then that he understood the dagger like stares that the other women were giving her. JEALOUSY, jealousy pure and simple, they all wanted to be the one sitting next to their host, the favoured one.
Admittedly he looked magnificent in a superbly cut suit in gold coloured silk, immaculate white dress shirt and crimson cravat and with his gold chain of office around his neck he looked like a king holding court.

"How did you manage to snare such a beauty Joshua?
And make her with child, was it intentional or a mistake in the barn that could not be rectified?
"

Joshua's short temper almost flared at the implied insult but he held his tongue and just glared a cross the table. Fortunately Daniel intervened asking smoothly,

"How can you afford such a lavish spread Roland?Surely even a Lord High Sheriff's income cannot stretch this far?"

Roland's face began to turn purple at being questioned as to whether he could afford it.

"I have made some investments in various enterprises that allow me such luxuries, Daniel"

Daniel continued easily, smoothly raising his eyebrows enquiringly,

"Really? What sort of investments would bring in such an income? I would be interested myself if I knew of an opportunity."

"I doubt that a lowly policeman like you would be able to afford the capital required."

No one within earshot could ignore the subtle insults going back and forth and were eager to hear who would come out on top.

"You are probably right Roland, after all you know my pay to the last penny no doubt, but what should I invest in if I were to have the opportunity?"

Sensing that he was winning the war of words Roland puffed his chest out and declared,

"Shipping, Daniel, shipping, or rather ships, I have a large share in two ships at present, one is just a ferry of sorts to Dublin the other in Poole, Dorset, plies to the North African coast."

"I see, and what cargo do these ships carry? After all it is the cargo that brings in the profit is it not?"

Roland realised that he had said too much and turned the conversation back to the ladies.

"You must tell me my dear where did you find such a beautiful dress such fine silk and the lacework is exquisite"

His hand dropped beneath the table and ran over the outline of Bridget's knee and thigh coming to rest in her lap at the very top of her thighs.

"Yes, very nice indeed."
 
From the moment that their host opened his mouth at the table, it was obvious to any within earshot the backhanded compliments that he paid her and Joshua. Bridget may be naive as to the intricacies of the upper echelon, but she was smart, and a quick study. Though there were no meaningful glances between her husband and Daniel, once the questioning started, she could see that each question had a purpose behind it.

Even the chatty woman sitting between her husband and Daniel stopped talking to listen to their host. The air around this part of the table fairly crackled with tension, and Mister Uriah Kecks chuckles at the verbal sparring was getting on her nerves. At the beginning of the evening, she was excited to be here, rubbing elbows with the elite. Now, she was starting to see that something else was going on. She was going to have to talk to Joshua when they got home tonight.

Suddenly the conversation turned back to her, and though she smiled at her host, something told her to beware.

You must tell me my dear where did you find such a beautiful dress such fine silk and the lacework is exquisite

And with his words, his hand dropped beneath the table. Suddenly she felt his hand skimming along the top of her leg to end up against the top of her thigh. She could feel the heat of his hand in her leg and the swell of the baby in her belly. She suddenly sat up straighter. If Joshua knew what this man was doing, he would kill the man where he sat. She could not let that happen.

Yes, very nice indeed.

She was not blind to his implications and though she wished to dig her nails into the back of his hand, decorum dictated no.

Something told her not to reveal where the dress came from. Ireland? No. She wouldn't tell. Her training from Estelle automatically took over and she smiled her sweetest smile to the man.

"Why, kind sir, I thank you for your compliment. But do you not know that, like her age, a lady never reveals where she had such a creation made. But I will certainly pass along to my seamstress your compliments on her fine handiwork. She will indeed be impressed."

She raised her glass as a toast to her host and took a sip. All eyes were on her and she needed to do it by accident. As she was placing her wine glass back down on the table, it tippled over ever so slightly and spilled along the edge of the table. And some of it went over the edge to spill on the sleeve of the hand gripping her thigh.

As if scalded, he jerked his hand away and brought it up. There on the sleeve of his gold jacket were several drops of the red wine. Like drops of blood.

"Oh, sir, pardon me please. I suppose that it is being so close to such power that makes my hand shake. I pray that I have not damaged such beautiful material. Perhaps I should ask where you obtained such fine material, for I am sure that there is not a lady here that has not gazed upon such exquisite material with envy."
 
Joshua listened intently to the half hidden insults passing between Daniel and Roland Hamilton, then in admiration as Daniel drew information from him that he would never have given in reply to a direct question. How did he do that? Joshua was full of admiration for Daniel.
The conversation turned to Bridget as Roland admired her dress, then the expression on Bridget's face changed to one of annoyance and seemingly by accident she spilt her wine and Roland's face changed to one of fury which he soon hid. He lifted his arm which was stained at the cuff of his gold suit with dark red wine from Bridget's spilled glass. Joshua was no fool and he knew Bridget so well, there was a faint satisfied smile on her face and Joshua just knew the spilt wine was no accident, which beggared the question 'why?' something had happened that Joshua knew nothing about.

"If you will excuse me I must go and change, my suit is ruined thanks to your carelessness Lady Lexford."

Hamilton stood up with barely concealed anger and stalked away.

Joshua was about to quiz Bridget when he was distracted by the pretty young girl sitting next to him.

"What do I need to do to get your attention Sir? Pour a bottle over your head?"

He did his very best to be polite,

"I do apologise if I appear to be neglecting you Miss but my wife has just ruined Roland's magnificent and uncommonly expensive suit."

"Oh, he'll get over it. I see your wife is heavy with child, does she manage to see to you when you require some comfort?"

Joshua tried not to blush, he knew very well what she was getting at and six months ago he would have had her on her back kicking her legs in the air within the hour.

"We manage very well, Miss?,,,,,,,,,,,,I appreciate your concern"

"Oh come Sir, if you were not interested you would not have asked my name"

She then leaned towards him her hand on his leg, uncomfortably close to the bulge that had begun to appear. She stroked his leg and whispered,

"I am known as FUCK ME HARD FRANCESCA and it is a name well earned"

"Well Francesca I admire your diligence but after dinner I suggest you seek out some other young buck who will no doubt fuck you hard."

She withdrew her hand and sat sullenly in her chair pouting.

Joshua and Bridget looked at each other across the table almost in unison raising a questioning eyebrow. At that moment Roland returned this time in a shimmering silver silk suit.

"Lady Lexford, my dear I must apologise for my outburst ,
please let me make it up to you and show you my rose garden after dinner
"
 
If you will excuse me I must go and change, my suit is ruined thanks to your carelessness Lady Lexford.

"I am very sorry, sir."

Their host, furious, left and she breathed a small sigh of relief though only those that knew her well, like Joshua and Estelle, would recognize it.

She looked across the table and notice how the young girl seemed to be in deep conversation. About what, she was not sure but at one point the woman leaned in and said something very private. Joshua looked a tad uncomfortable but not enough to notice. Whatever he answered irritated her as she became sullen.

It was like looking in a mirror as they faced each other, eyebrow raised in question.

Their host chose that moment to return to the party, having changed his gold jacket to a silver silk suit jacket. This again was money, the material shimmering as if real silver were used. As he sat again beside her, he told her,

Lady Lexford, my dear I must apologise for my outburst ,
please let me make it up to you and show you my rose garden after dinner


"You are too kind, sir. It is I that should apologize for ruining so beautiful a jacket. I did not think that you could top it but you have proven me wrong."

She then turned to Mister Keck, who revealed that he was in the import business, managing several warehouses in Poole.

"And what, pray tell, do you import? Perhaps I might have purchased something that you brought in."

The man giggled. "Could be. Could be. I import various things. Material, for one. Lace. Feathers. Dish wares. I'm very versatile."

"Then do you live in the area?"

Giggling again. "Oh, not far."

They were interrupted by servants beginning to serve the meal. Each plate brought ohhhs and ahhhs from the guest eager to try each dish.
 
During dinner Joshua conversed with Bridget's neighbour and they soon struck up a warm friendship. Uriah Kecks was a jovial, friendly type and he gave Joshua his card and invited Joshua and Bridget to visit him in Poole at some point in the future.

Bridget and Roland ventured outside to the rose garden, Joshua knew how much Bridget loved roses and was certain she would enjoy the different varieties and scents despite having Roland for company. Joshua stayed to talk with Daniel and Estelle for a few minutes intending to follow Bridget and her companion and join in the tour. However when he eventually left the couple to dance he couldn't find them anywhere. He was about to go back inside thinking he must have missed them somehow when the pretty girl who had propositioned him at dinner, Francesca, tugged urgently at his arm,

"You have to come Sir, right away."

Joshua smiled at her insistence,

"Young lady, I thought I had made it clear that attractive though you are I am not going anywhere with you. If you continue with this I will have no alternative but to put you over my knee and spank you."

"Ordinarily Sir I would welcome it but if you value your wife's virtue you will follow me."

At the mention of Bridget and her virtue he was instantly alarmed, he knew that Roland was a scoundrel and being alone with Bridget he could well be planning some nefarious attack on her.

"Where is she Francesca? Is she in danger?"

"Not in danger of her life sir but something far more precious, her dignity and her virtue, I saw Roland 'fucking' Hamilton leading her towards the boathouse, no doubt with some tale of a rare rose waiting to be sniffed. He took me down there once and I returned with all my petals plucked, my very first time it was and not at all how I'd planned."

Joshua heard what she said but did not take it all in, he followed Francesca down the twisting path to the boathouse, she hiked her dress up to her knees and as she ran her generous bosom bounced and threatened to overspill her dangerously low cut bodice. In the distance he could see two figures struggling at the end of the jetty. One was Hamilton with his silver pants at half mast and the other his beloved Bridget, her dress lifted way above her knees, her stockings torn and her pale white thighs being pushed apart by Hamilton's strong hands, her bodice torn exposing one of her full swollen breasts. He heard Hamilton growl as Bridget gave a resounding smack across his face,

"You dare to refuse me girl? Everyone here tonight knows that you are no lady but a common country girl who spends her time on her back with her legs open."

Without a thought of what he was doing Joshua launched himself at Roland Hamilton, snarling at him. The force of his launch took both of them off the jetty into the water where Joshua was intent on drowning him there and then in the three feet of water they had landed in. He held Roland's head under the water angry and not caring the consequences. He would have succeeded too had Bridget not jumped in beside him and stopped him. Her gown spread out floating on the surface at waist height. She calmed him enough for Joshua to gasp,

"Let's get everyone together and leave, I do believe we have outstayed our welcome."

They took no notice of Francesca who stood by silently worshipping her hero.

"If only I had a man like that."

With everyone together Joshua ushered them into the carriage and sat with his arm around a shivering Bridget and whispering comforting words to her but Jean sat quietly in a corner tears trickling down her face, reliving her ordeal in the kitchen.
Daniel was quietly thinking and eventually spoke, decisively

"I think we have taken enough, Hamilton is undoubtedly our man, tomorrow we raid the Shaftesbury Avenue office and pay a visit to The Strand and arrest the Lord High Sheriff. He condemned himself by his actions tonight."
 
Last edited:
Back
Top