Bitching about Boston

Will be lucky if it is tenF above in the morning. Will hit zeroF tonight. Some will have below zeroF. Single digits for some, right now.
 
oh *sniffle* Rex Trailer is dead. :(

Rex Trailer, the native Texan beloved by a generation of New England children for the cowboy skills he demonstrated
on the Boston-based television show "Boomtown," has died

His friend and manager Michael Bavaro says Trailer died Wednesday at his family's home in Florida. He was 84.
Trailer had gone to Florida for the holidays when he fell ill with pneumonia, but the exact cause of death was not
immediately clear.

According to Bill Ranney, Trailer's friend of 44 years, Trailer's family was at his bedside singing the western songs
he wrote and loved. "In the end, he left with a smile on his face." Ranney said.

Trailer’s show was on every Saturday and Sunday on WBZ-TV from 1956 to 1974.


Trailer's body will be flown from Florida to Massachusetts. He will be buried with his wife Cindy who died last year, according to Ranney.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/metr...bos_break&tmi=bos_break_1_09500101102013&ts=H

He was a handsome Earthling. Kind to children, animals and old people.
 
oh, dear- The economy has made some people very desperate

Saugus library worker sentenced for $800,000 theft

Sixty-six-year-old Linda Duffy also was ordered Thursday in federal court to pay over $965,000 in restitution.

Duffy pleaded guilty in September to four counts of mail fraud, 10 counts of money laundering and one count of aggravated identity theft.

She was arrested in 2011. Federal prosecutors alleged Duffy diverted charitable donations, library fees and fines into a
decoy bank account over seven years and tapped it for personal spending.

Prosecutors said she tricked a General Electric Co. charitable foundation into donating more than $400,000 to the library
to match non-existent donations.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/bost...ft/-/11984708/18089822/-/x3p8amz/-/index.html


Jan 10, 2013

In other news, a hawk hitched ride on a train headed into North Station. Got a bloody beak. Poor thing. Fell off the train.

Is this how the hawks are getting into the T stations?
 
Sunday Sunday Sunday
Patriots face Texans at Gillette
New England gearing up for the big playoff game at 4:30 p.m
 
"After filming his last two movies in Boston, Ben Affleck filmed Argo in Iran - a place more welcoming to foreigners." - Tina Fey
 
Perfect January thaw day, in Boston. Bicycles and motorcycles. Warm air, and a slight breeze. Bright sunshine.
Normal freezing temps will be back on Wednesday. *shiver* Some flying slush, a little snow. Maybe, black ice.
 
January 14, 2013

Crime writer Patricia Cornwell was having a court case in Boston, today. No local reporter was sent ?

It is a pity, is it not ?

"Their home state of Massachusetts legalized same-sex marriage in 2004."

Boston always needs more money. Taxachusetts
 
Did you get the Boston flu ? Or Norovirus ?

Type A flu strain- Sore throat, chills, body aches, runny nose, cough.
Plus vomit, stomach cramps, and a need, to get to the bathroom quickly.

Norovirus- vomit, stomach cramps, and a need to get to the bathroom quickly.

Fix ? Drink plenty of fluids, get rest, take over the counter meds for pain and fever.

Health Monday
Boston Globe
 
Omni Heat

Little silver dots printed on the inside of my ski pants. This night feels as warm as a spring day.
But, yet, I am out there shoveling snow and slush. L O V E is scraped out of the snow.
I used all caps. Should have drawn a heart first. Oh well Maybe a heart can fit inside of the O
 
"Boston Calling reflects how the world looks through American eyes and explores
the myriad and unexpected ways that the world influences the United States.

It is produced by the Boston-based team responsible for the weekday US public
radio news magazine, PRI's The World.

Boston Calling offers surprising and insightful answers to questions such as -
what are the global issues that Americans pay attention to and why?

What are the stories they care about? What are the political, social, cultural, and
economic factors at play that create America's view of the world?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00y7fqz
 
OK I never accepted the rain passing over us, and getting dumped into the ocean. I got used to used it.
Now, the snow passes over us, and gets dumped into the ocean. Winter drought. Just as bad, as summer drought.
 
Canada sends another Aberta Clipper, to clip Boston. The landscape looks better with sugar frosting. 0F plus wind chill equals wicked chilly.
 
"Even when his words are critical, Francona’s comments about his players are never reminiscent of the
score-settling vibe that accompanied Joe Torre’s biting insights on Alex Rodriguez and Kevin Brown in
“The Yankee Years.’’
- Chad Finn

Interactions with Red Sox players a key part of Terry Francona book with Dan Shaughnessy
January 21, 2013
The Boston Globe
 
There are only 2 "kinds" or species of turkey in the world. The best-known is the so-called "Wild Turkey" (Meleagris gallopavo).
Its original range extended from southern Maine and Ontario west to central South Dakota, and south through Arizona to
include all of Mexico except the southernmost and southeastern areas.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/wildlife/facts/birds/turkey/turkey_faqs.htm

"European explorers took Wild Turkeys to Europe from Mexico in the early 1500s. They were so successfully domesticated
in Europe that English colonists brought them back with them when they settled on the Atlantic Coast."

"The domestic form has retained the white tail tip of the original Mexican subspecies, and that character can be used to
distinguish wandering barnyard birds from wild turkeys which have chestnut-brown tail tips."

In Massachusetts, laws prohibit people from keeping these pen-raised turkeys without a special permit.
This permit is only given for bona-fide scientific or educational purposes.

Despite this, uninformed or malicious persons sometimes bring in these birds and release them or allow them to escape.
There are a few places in eastern Massachusetts where small numbers of these birds became local pests.

Once established, these turkeys are difficult to control without lethal means.

"At the time of Colonial settlement, wild turkeys were found nearly throughout Massachusetts. They were probably
absent from Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, and perhaps the higher mountain areas in the northwest part of the
state. As settlement progressed and land was cleared for buildings and agriculture, turkey populations diminished."

By 1800, turkeys were quite rare in Massachusetts, and by 1851 they had disappeared.

Re-introduction- What kind of turkey roams free, in Massachusetts, today ?
 
-35 plus wind chill equals -85 on Mt Washington. Green Line T had a second fail.
They are trying to fix the problem right now. Too cold for Boston.

(Typical. The coldest, most miserable days, is when the T would make me wait, for the longest time.)

Much sympathy, for the Kenmore Square crowd. Bundle up. There are more horrible cold days, to get through.
 
The moon is a glow globe, shining softly. It keeps me company in this silent landscape. Dark branches and white snow.
I am sweeping away a thick layer of white moon dust, with my push broom. The moon looks warm, with it's yellow light.
The cold air stings my dry house nose. I breath out. My breath looks like very fine powder, hanging in the air. Condensed.
 
Look on the bright side. Billy Bulger is alive well and continues to to collect $200K in pension from the state. He turns 79 on February 2.
 
The questions were asked-

What is there, about Downton Abbey, that appeals to people in Massachusetts ?

Why are there empty acres of perfect lawn, in the UK and America ?

More than $30 billion a year is spent on lawn care, in America.

200 years ago, we started dreaming of a perfect lawn.

Don't tread on my lawn! The village green, is now a lawn.

Little plastic flags tell you that the village lawn is poisoned.

The lawn looks marvelous. Human excrement is acceptable fertilizer.

Domesticated animals and geese stopped foraging on the village green, centuries ago.

Picnic ? yuck No. Take a picture.
 
Ex-IRA woman Dolours Price's funeral takes place
28 January 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21230312

She was found dead at her home in Malahide, County Dublin, on Wednesday night.

Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013

Updated: Monday, January 28, 2013

In the early 2000s, Price participated in the Belfast Project, an oral history project sponsored by Boston College that
was dedicated to recording the Troubles in the words of those who participated. In her testimony to researchers,
Price allegedly confessed to various crimes, including car bombings and the kidnapping of Jean McConville, who was
murdered by the IRA in 1972.

The tapes of interviews conducted as part of the Belfast Project were recorded under the promise of confidentiality
until death, but in 2011, subpoenas from the government of the United Kingdom, served on behalf of the Police Service
of Northern Ireland (PSNI), threatened that confidentiality. The subpoenas were served following an interview with Price
published in The Irish Times in February of 2010, in which she divulged information about the Belfast Project.

Belfast Project Director Ed Moloney released a joint statement with Belfast Project researcher and former IRA member
Anthony McIntyre via email on Thursday. “We wish to express our great sadness at the death of Dolours Price who was
both a friend and a valued participant in the Belfast Project and we wish to convey our condolences to her boys, to her
sisters and brother and to other members of her family,” it read. Moloney and McIntyre went on to say that Price’s death
would have no immediate impact on the subpoenas. “Dolours Price’s interviews will not now be immediately handed over,
as some reports have wrongly claimed,” the statement read. “The interviews are the subject of a stay imposed by the
Supreme Court of the United States and that stay remains in place until that court, the highest in the land, decides
otherwise.”

http://www.bcheights.com/belfast-project-interviewee-found-dead-1.2975817#.UQbd-Wceo6w
 
Back
Top