Facebook privacy?

It's possible he's a friend of one of the people you tagged. FB now has it set so that anytime you tag someone in a post, pic, what have you, their friends can also see and comment.

It sucks.:mad:
 
We do have a mutual friend. So, customizable "friends only" means nothing? Ugh...

I'm not a paranoid person or anything, but I am a freaking open book. With the erroneously presumed safety of "friends only" I share more than I otherwise would.

It's a weird thing for him to have posted, right? Here it wouldn't be so odd, but publicly and uninvited on FB is weird to me.

Yeah, bit creepy.

I don't mind so much when I just put up a text post, but I've had someone I'm not familiar with make a comment on photos of my kids. That really creeps me out ! Needless to say, I've gotten more leery of photos on FB now.

On a weird aside, FB recently asked for my participation in a survey, and when I got to the comments section I slammed them WRT to the erosion of privacy. Not that they'll listen, but I did make my feelings known. :rolleyes::eek:
 
Last night I posted a sentimental, reminiscing post about a fond band camp memory (yes...band camp). I tagged a bunch of high school friends and have really enjoyed the conversations with them. Then, this morning, someone I do not know, posted on the thread twice. One post: "you're an amazing woman."

1. I do not know him and he's, according to his info, 10 years older than me. He's not a HS acquaintance I've forgotten.

2. My page is as private as I know how to make it. It's set to friends only for all posts and many of my posts are customized to exclude coworkers, etc.

How was this random guy able to pop on there? It's disturbing me a bit more than the random PMs on Lit. I am easily found, unusual name and such.

Feeling a bit squicked.

I am so sorry :( It's gross, I know. Unfortunately, when tagging a photo or a post, the persons (if they approve it) will have that tag show up on their timeline and albums, so that means whoever can view their page will be able to see it and comment on it.

I had the same problem once and this is what I found. That link contains tips on how to maximise your FaceBook privacy settings and while it's a bit of work, it's great.

Go to your post/picture, open it, click on the audience selector. Then click on custom. There will be a box that will be checked as 'friends of those tagged'. Unclick it. Save changes.

Unfortunately, you have to do this every single time. BUT! It's worth it in keeping your privacy.

Another thing you can do is create a separate private photo album:
1) create a blank album and set it to friends only.
2) upload all pictures that you want friends to have access to into this album each time you upload.
3) you may remove friends or add friends to view the album.

Hopefully, this will help. FaceBook is really getting slammed with privacy issues. Someone should sue.

:rose:
 
Last edited:
I hate that every so often, FB changes my privacy settings.

Because of the drama regarding my town's church-state issue from a few months back, I actually ended up creating a second FB persona so I could discuss those issues without having them linked back to me (or my kids, who experienced some fallout as well). Of course, then I get accused of being a coward, so I can't win, I guess.
 
the best way to avoid being exposed by social media, is to not belong to social media.
 
I just thought I understood the privacy settings, which I did not.
Well, given what a PITA Facebook can be, it's possible that you did understand the settings until they made one of their many changes. FB loves to fix what isn't broken.
 
Every business has something to sell. Without it, they don't thrive. The mistake people make with social media sites is thinking that the "convenience of networking" is what they're selling...

Facebook isn't the product.. so they don't need to fix it.

We're the product. We are what is marketed, tracked, bought, sold, and updated. There is no financial incentive for them to ensure your privacy. After all, privacy is difficult to market on a social media website.
 
j, the simple truth is it's in FB's interests to screw your privacy settings. the more exposure every update gets, the more people can interact with, and the more people can interact with the more time they spend on the site...

...where they can then view yet more ads.

perhaps it would be better to share that stuff via email next time?

ed
 
You should "like" Facecrooks. They do a good job of staying on top of FB changes and helping you keep your stuff as private as possible.
 
J, have you seen this story?

*shudders*

The guy is trying to do the right thing, but that would still creep me the hell out! :eek:
 
Just today someone was trolling one of my favorite FB pages, a page that I post on under my alter ego on to protect my identity from the whack jobs that the page naturally attracts. This guy's profile was an open book; I clicked on his name and was able to see his status updates, his friends list, pics of his kids, and a link to his employer's FB page. I find it unbelievable that someone would allow strangers to have unfettered access to some of that info.

I posted a link to his employer's page** and asked him, "[Troll], is this your employer? Wouldn't it suck if someone sent them a link to/screencaps of this thread?" That thread disappeared in less than a minute. Lucky for him, too. People have been fired for posting the stuff that he was posting.




**I didn't contact his employer, nor do I have any intention of doing so. I just wanted to impress upon him the dangers of having such a public profile.
 
j, the simple truth is it's in FB's interests to screw your privacy settings. the more exposure every update gets, the more people can interact with, and the more people can interact with the more time they spend on the site...

...where they can then view yet more ads.

perhaps it would be better to share that stuff via email next time?

ed

I wonder how much attention people really pay to those things. Whenever one appears in my newsfeed, I'm lickety split with the hide/ignore button.
 
Please do not assume anything you post on social media is private. EVER.

As others have wisely said, you are the product. You do not have any rights there. You are the product.

Now before you mention privacy settings, etc, that 'guard' your rights, think of changes social media makes without your consent. Settings that should not require you to unselect them...anything requiring an action to protect your privacy by unselecting shows better than ever how little respect social media has for you. Their default setting is 'screw your privacy'.

You are product.

Sorry to go on and on, but for the most part, Lit folk are good folk, and it pains me that this sort of thing happens again and again...I hate to say it, but please, stop trusting.

Or never ever post anything that you don't mind being printed out and shown to everyone you know. Which is kinda the same thing, no?
 
...and Google+ is just as bad. Having read these posts I'm glad I left FB: Hatebook I call it. As OTCurve says, nothing is private on the internet and the sinister truth is, as someone else said, we are the product.
So far as I'm concerned Apple, Google, Microsoft are all feed points to the NSA. There's the price you pay for National Security: there is no privacy - it's just an illusion. The only privacy is being an uninteresting blip on the security radar, but I'm sure I'm on a few NSA hard drives by now. *shrug* It's not worth getting paranoid about but peer to peer privacy issues just suck
 
Last edited:
bail quoth:
i wonder how much attention people really pay to those things. whenever one appears in my newsfeed, i'm lickety split with the hide/ignore button.
consider this: everyone you know hates spam. we grouprant about it sometimes.



...yet it's still a thriving business model.

ed
 
Back
Top