Your favorite TED-talks, podcasts, etc.?

Allyourbase

Allison Kapitein
As a celebration of my 1000th post (THIS ONE :cattail:), let me start a random thread.

See, whevener I have to do something like cleaning the kitchen, or fold laundry, I listen to talks. TED-talks, other talks from Fora.tv, podcasts, whatever. I share interesting finds with people I know, and they give me tips back. It beats randomly clicking around. I've noticed that what friends recommend is often spot on. Even the 'your friends on facebook are watching these talks'-feed gives me interesting tips.

So here's an extended version of that. You kinksters are an interesting, intellectual bunch, so I'm hoping you have some good tips here, to share with each other.

Here's some that I really liked:

A talk by a person that makes me tingle a bit inside... ;) Tillett Wright, about a photography project showing 50 shades of gay.

Inspiring: the commencement speech by Neil Gaiman, Make good art.

And I lovelove:heart: Aimee Mullins, the athlete without legs, talking about prosthetics and aesthetics.

I mean, ideas worth spreading. Right? :)
What's yours?
*curiosity!*

Ooh! I'll play!

I love "To This Day" by spoken word poet (and fellow Canuck) Shan Koyczan, about bullying.

And for a smile, I choose "The Happy Secret to Better Work" by Shawn Achor. He could be my long lost twin. :)

BTW, I also love Neil Gaiman's and Aimee Mullen's! :heart:

Oh! Shane Koyczan... Wait, I know that speech. There's an awesome collaboration project on that, with animation, that just makes me cry every time. Here it is!

Also: This Is Water. By the late David Foster Wallace. I still have to listen to the entire speech, but this short, animated version is worth it.

I love Brene Brown. That is a great talk indeed.

Just watched Robinson a few days ago, coincidence.

First one is new to me. Goes on the list.

The Post Secret one is a good one, as is the site itself.

My ex introduced me to both.

Ooh! I'll play!

I love "To This Day" by spoken word poet (and fellow Canuck) Shan Koyczan, about bullying.

And for a smile, I choose "The Happy Secret to Better Work" by Shawn Achor. He could be my long lost twin. :)

BTW, I also love Neil Gaiman's and Aimee Mullen's! :heart:

I've been frustrated for years by the notion that future-oriented success defines our happiness. Thank you so much for linking to Shawn Achor's talk.

For the record, I think my favorite TED talk was delivered by my 14-year old niece, but I may be biased. A good friend of mine delivered a TED talk last month but I haven't been able to find the video yet, which is a shame. I'll try to remember this thread when the video does become available and will link it then.

I've been frustrated for years by the notion that future-oriented success defines our happiness. Thank you so much for linking to Shawn Achor's talk.

For the record, I think my favorite TED talk was delivered by my 14-year old niece, but I may be biased. A good friend of mine delivered a TED talk last month but I haven't been able to find the video yet, which is a shame. I'll try to remember this thread when the video does become available and will link it then.

Please do. :)

Your 14yo niece gave an actual TED-talk? What about?

Thanks. Mostly past the worst of it now. but not deliberately picking at the scab. :)

Spent days watching the back catalogue of ted-talks last year.

Yeah no reason to make things harder on yourself.

TED is addictive. Also I still want to dive into the audio section of the Long Now Foundation. Some of their stuff ends up on Fora.tv as well, I remember.

My pleasure! I, too, get frustrated by the emphasis I see on "future happiness", especially with the focus on external causes. I don't spend every day happy, I'm not a robot, but happy is my default setting, it's the lens through which I view the world. I wasn't always this way, but boy is my life better now...even when it's not better, if you know what I mean.

Also, barring mental illness, I really do believe you can teach yourself to be happier. You can rewire your brain. Of course, first, you have to genuinely want to do that. ;)

Cool! Would love to see your niece's talk - feel free to pm.

Also: This Is Water. By the late David Foster Wallace. I still have to listen to the entire speech, but this short, animated version is worth it.

This is brilliant... the entire speech is worth the time to listen to. Inspiring and beautiful for sure.

It was hard to learn that he committed suicide 3 years following this speech at the end of a 20 year long battle with depression.

Ivan Coyote is another Canuck! Ivan delivered a key note speech at a writer's conference I attended several years back - to a raucous standing ovation.

I've enjoyed every one of Ivan's talks I encountered. Whenever I travel by and end up next to someone I don't necessarily want to know, I have to think of that piece Ivan did about the people they encountered while traveling, a man who sold snow globes, and the christian guy who told Ivan God wanted them to marry their girlfriend. :p (Dammit, which talk is that again?)

This is brilliant... the entire speech is worth the time to listen to. Inspiring and beautiful for sure.

It was hard to learn that he committed suicide 3 years following this speech at the end of a 20 year long battle with depression.

I am so going to listen to that speech now. His suicide gives a real painful ring to it, especially since these things are so recognizeable. Often I think that people who struggle with depression haven't lost touch with reality at all, they're just ultra realistic. Which just can't be that good for your mood.

I have stuff going on lately (hooooooray for nagging, unalterable, pending unemployment!) that I'm countering with daily doses of TED talks. Brene Brown's talk on vulnerability is wonderful, and her follow up talking shame is just as good. (I'd link, but I'm curled up in bed, typing on the phone and too lazy to figure out the linky-dink stuff.)

Thank you for the thread; it's joyfully timely for me. I'll add actual talk-stuff as I find it, and time to post. :)

I have stuff going on lately (hooooooray for nagging, unalterable, pending unemployment!) that I'm countering with daily doses of TED talks. Brene Brown's talk on vulnerability is wonderful, and her follow up talking shame is just as good. (I'd link, but I'm curled up in bed, typing on the phone and too lazy to figure out the linky-dink stuff.)

Thank you for the thread; it's joyfully timely for me. I'll add actual talk-stuff as I find it, and time to post. :)

Ohyeah, can imagine you need some nice talks. I've been in that pending unemployment situation as well (where I had to get the funding for my own job even), and it can consume your thoughts.

Let me link to that talk for ya then. :rose:

Brene Brown - Listening to shame

http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidney.html

I love this one :) they are using laser printers to print useable functioning human organs. Instead of using ink in the printer they are using cells. It's fascinating!

Hey, that one I didn't know. Thanks! Cool!

Back