Geek Pride Day! Official Support Thread

Hell, some of the best "fan-made" movies about D&D I've seen tell a story within a story.

If memory serves, the entire anime series 'Record Of The Lodoss War' was based on someone's D&D campaign. There should've been Mountain Dew and Cheetohs available in the taverns...

I was pondering this, too, and I'm hoping either qualifies. I'd like to read some stories about Geeks in "real life" being their geeky selves.

I'd also like to read that particular, bizarre concoction of Stylized Geekery that can be seen in any of the indulgent fantasy fiction that geeks write.

Hell, some of the best "fan-made" movies about D&D I've seen tell a story within a story. You're in this ridiculous fantasy tale, then something happens to break the fourth wall, and you're suddenly sitting at the table with a bunch of geeks arguing over the rules. ("You can't backstab someone with a Ballista!" / "Where in the rules does it say I can't??")

Or, God! This one is too real:

"You know what? Fine. Fucking fine. Roll Diplomacy to seduce the Dragon.
You sick fucks."

Please let us know if there's one favored over the other? :D

Good. Glad to see I’m not the only one wrestling with this. We’ll just hope PuckIt reads this far into the thread, and makes a ruling.

Mine's about a geek who gets laid by a conniving slut who generally targets bad boys. She thinks he’s a bad boy too, ‘cause she saw him beat the snot out of some other geek.

She won’t realize until the end that the fight was about something geekish, like...

1. Han shot first, or maybe the Kessel Run Parsec Controversy.
2. Peter Jackson’s treatment of Faramir (or Arwen).
3. Whether or not Max Sterling could have beaten Miriya Parino in that knife fight, if he hadn’t used his Micronian wiles...

And then she’ll feel sickened.

Does sleepy really equate zombie?

Eugh. Had a hard time getting to sleep. Just now got awakened by the four foots to see to their needs. (And considering my dog's turds are as big as most dog's entire bodies, I'm just as glad she did wake me!) Not sure how long I'm staying awake, but stopped by and saw the question on the floor.

Mmm.

Short answer; what can be put in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy Category only.

Long answer;

While I can actually envision (and argue for) Geek stories all up and down the categories, I'm widely acknowledged as odd, even amongst the Geeks, Nerds, and Dorks.

Rather than just hiding behind "because that's the way I first posted the rules," here is a little insight behind my thought process when I first formulated them back when I thought I was just trying to inspire just myself (before Laurel hoodwinked me into leading this adventure/quest).

Just how was the 25th of May chosen to celebrate Geekdom?

1) Star Wars; A New Hope was first released on 25 May 1977

2) Terry Pratchett in his Discworld series held the Glorious 25th of May which was quietly celebrated by the survivors of the People's Revolution, which ended the reign of Lord Winder. After his diagnosis with Alzheimer's, Match It For Pratchett has called on fans to wear lilacs on 25 May in support of Terry.

3) In 2001, on 25 May, two weeks after the death of Douglas Adams, Hoopy Froods the world-over organized "Towel Day" in tribute.

Each of these, I will note, fall within the Sci-Fi & Fantasy genres.

Having been in my checkered past judged for my participation in various activities, I would be the last (I hope) to cast aspersions on anyone else's Geekness. However, being a tad old(ish), I also may have some residual thought that Geek is pretty much SciFantastical related activities. I hope that wasn't a steering thought, but I admit it may have been when I bethought myself that the greatest conglomeration of self-identifying Geeks on Literotica would be found reading the Sci-Fi & Fantasy category. And, in the spirit of the holiday, and of George Lucas, Terry Pratchett, and Douglas Adams who inspired it, I wanted to focus my efforts there.

At any rate, for the purposes of this event/anthology, I would prefer if we could focus on writing for the genre arguably behind Geek Pride origins.

I'll try to check back once I've poured something with caffeine and carbonation in my eyes to try to see if all that made sense even to me.

Last edited:
So...that’s a wordy way of saying we should be aiming to write stories about dragonfuckers from Planet Zorg?

Cool.

So...that’s a wordy way of saying we should be aiming to write stories about dragonfuckers from Planet Zorg?

Cool.

Well, I admit I did think of a little something involving a Dragon and a Unicorn... But, I was afraid Vaesark might come after me for it. :eek:

However, now that I'm a little more awake (a very little), I'd just point out that a guy by the name of Joel Rosenberg did a series known as "Guardians of the Flame" that incorporated some real-world Geeks into a fantasy setting. (As well as probably others I'm just not quite remembering as I'm only firing on one cylinder since I remembered in the kitchen I gave up caffeine a week ago at the behest of a friend.)

And anyone who doesn't think cowboys can make an appearance in sci-fi was obviously not a fan of Michael Crichton, Joss Whedon, or Jon Favreau. (Not to mention that, yes, in fact, Han Solo was pure old west gunslinger in the Mos Eisley cantina scene, so thpppfft.)

But, yeah. Pretty much, I think if we could confine our efforts only so far as this particular Geek-thology into that one category... Whether it's dragon-fuckers of Pern or a Battle-Mech Gangbang or a modern day Frankenfurter building a better penis...

And, yes, I came up with and started about thirteen different ideas yesterday and I don't have any idea how many more might come bubbling up from the dark abyss of my psyche before I finally pick one to finish out. :eek:

Nifty.

Thanks for doing this. Might be fun. I’ve done some fantasy commercially, but no sci-fi since... high school? A little before?

I’m on it.

Geek. Then: sideshow freak. Now: unsocialized fanatic. Is geekiness now necessarily associated with emotional immaturity, or do adult obsessions qualify? Was Sara Winchester an architecture geek?

Okay, geeks. I've never spent any time here in SciFi, but I’m 5k words in after just a few hours and I gotta ask:

Do SciFi readers deal well with long stories?
Do they mind a bit of buildup?
MUST there, in fact, be tentacles?
Can they handle humor?

None of this is likely to change my story, mind; I’m just curious. I’m enjoying this kind of writing so far. Third person: who’d a thunk it?

Okay, geeks. I've never spent any time here in SciFi, but I’m 5k words in after just a few hours and I gotta ask:

Can they handle humor?

To answer in order:

SciFi readers LOVE long stories. ;) If the setting draws them in. It's the world-building and immersion that gives the hard-on for many.

Nope. Build-up encouraged. (Again, world-building and immersion.)

Tentacles not required, no. I was over 2 million words into my series before tentacles came into the picture. (Serious as a heart attack).

Humor...some might not get it or will take it too seriously. The others will explain it to them. You can expect that.

Can they handle humor?

None of this is likely to change my story, mind; I’m just curious. I’m enjoying this kind of writing so far. Third person: who’d a thunk it?

All of the above, I think.

Possibly not always tentacles. I hope not - my story has wings, but no tentacles.

Thanks for the help, guys; I’ll crack on.

It’s a fun little used-universe romp on a shitty vessel of some nameless space navy, sort of a cross between Starship Troopers and Mister Roberts. Hopefully, it’ll fly.

It’s a fun little used-universe romp on a shitty vessel of some nameless space navy, sort of a cross between Starship Troopers and Mister Roberts. Hopefully, it’ll fly.
That sounds more nerdy than geeky but what do I know? For geeky, I think the mundane groundlubber players would BELIEVE they're on that shitty vessel, and then they're transported aboard, and have many unnerving escapades. They return to their home space-time nexus I.E. mom's basement to find they've changed.

The Happiest of Geek Day to you all!

Everyone should love a Geek!

It's true

Thanks for the help, guys; I’ll crack on.

Had to look up "Mister Roberts" (hmm...sounds interesting, 1955 petty tyrants on a ship :D ), but, sir, Mr. Heinlein is always welcome (even if the last college nerd I spoke with hadn't heard of him, for shame!, at least it was a geek that introduced it to me). Once you get outside of Starship Trooppers (a book I love), to those like "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Friday," you see that he loved his group sex. :D

Had to look up "Mister Roberts" (hmm...sounds interesting, 1955 petty tyrants on a ship :D ), but, sir, Mr. Heinlein is always welcome (even if the last college nerd I spoke with hadn't heard of him, for shame!, at least it was a geek that introduced it to me). Once you get outside of Starship Trooppers (a book I love), to those like "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Friday," you see that he loved his group sex. :D

Hey, now! I object! You really can't mention Heinlein without mentioning "Time Enough For Love!" (Although, yeah. "Stranger" and "Friday" were right up there.) :cool:

Hey, now! I object! You really can't mention Heinlein without mentioning "Time Enough For Love!" (Although, yeah. "Stranger" and "Friday" were right up there.) :cool:
*gently clears throat* This would be the first time for me that someone's mentioned Heinlein and mentioned that book. :eek: I must run in odd circles.

But thanks for the hint that there's similar raunch in that one! :D:cool:

*gently clears throat* This would be the first time for me that someone's mentioned Heinlein and mentioned that book. :eek: I must run in odd circles.

But thanks for the hint that there's similar raunch in that one! :D:cool:

You are not alone. I do enjoy Heinlein's novels and his views. Even his children's books like Time for the Stars have some twists like where Tom marries his twin brother's great granddaughter. He did manage to push the envelope back then.

Welp, done.

It’ll likely end up at around 21,000 words, and yes, it includes penetrative sex with an alien who has a prehensile penis and can cum on order. Also lots of oral, in all sorts of contexts. And a space battle!

Thanks, PuckIt; I enjoyed this. I suspect my publisher will like it too, which will mean I’ve now taken a step toward becoming a SciFi Guy in the commercial world. Wouldn’t bother me; this is fun.

Welp, done.

It’ll likely end up at around 21,000 words, and yes, it includes penetrative sex with an alien who has a prehensile penis and can cum on order. Also lots of oral, in all sorts of contexts. And a space battle!

Thanks, PuckIt; I enjoyed this. I suspect my publisher will like it too, which will mean I’ve now taken a step toward becoming a SciFi Guy in the commercial world. Wouldn’t bother me; this is fun.

Fantastic! Can't wait to read it come 25 May!

Mine are staggering along and still can't decide which one I'm actually going to focus on since I keep having more ideas that don't fit the ones I already have going. Ones I just came up with and some I'd had for years, but lacked the literary balls to go ahead and do it until now.

The big one I'm thinking about making my main effort, I'm not sure 2.5 months will be enough time to finish it and have it worthy to share. :eek: (And yeah, I got long winded again. But, I'm a crusty old fart and we tend to do that. [**eyeing Chloe's last two spiteful words in her last post.**] You know. Being as I'm from "back then" and all, I guess.)

:p

But, I'm a crusty old fart and we tend to do that. [**eyeing Chloe's last two spiteful words in her last post.**] You know. Being as I'm from "back then" and all, I guess.)

But Chloe's getting really old.

I mean, just the other day she said she was nearly... twenty-seven. Her 'back then' is about 2004, from what I can figure out.

I'm lazily considering where to start. When is the geekiness: past, present, future, or elsewhen? Maybe an 1840's rural electro-geek who invents the electro-vibrator. This farm boy ('Sparky') who reads the popular scientific press at the town library made the device to ease eggs from occluded hens. Sparky quickly finds it has other uses. So do the girls from nearby farms. And their mothers. And ladies in town. Sparky is very popular. Etc.

But Chloe's getting really old.

I mean, just the other day she said she was nearly... twenty-seven. Her 'back then' is about 2004, from what I can figure out.

I'm so sorry Puckit. EB is right😥 - age is creeping up on me too. Soon, soon another birthday and I'll have a 7 in my age. A July birthday ....

Rules;
2) Submissions for consideration should be a "single shot" submitted in the Sci-Fi & Fantasy Category. That is, no serial or chapter submissions for the purposes of this particular effort.

I have a question about this PuckIt. I understand you don't want stories like say Sapphic Moonwomen of Venus Ch. 03 to be entered. But I have this story idea that's been rattling around my head for a while and I'm not sure if it would be permitted. The story I'm thinking of has an arc which would work with one story but I kind of like these characters as envisioned and I could see continuing their adventures. No way I'd know in advance if I'd follow through with more stories of them if I write but would you consider it skirting the rules if I wrote/entered the story then later on wrote more with the same characters?

I have a question about this PuckIt. I understand you don't want stories like say Sapphic Moonwomen of Venus Ch. 03 to be entered. But I have this story idea that's been rattling around my head for a while and I'm not sure if it would be permitted. The story I'm thinking of has an arc which would work with one story but I kind of like these characters as envisioned and I could see continuing their adventures. No way I'd know in advance if I'd follow through with more stories of them if I write but would you consider it skirting the rules if I wrote/entered the story then later on wrote more with the same characters?

Heyla, Rutger.

I'm not sure that it would be a fair assessment to say I wouldn't want "Sapphic Moonwomen of Venus" rolling around. :D

However, I was rather hoping that for the purposes of this anthology/Geek-ology we could try to refrain from just tagging in a new chapter in an ongoing series or even one that we knew full well was going to turn into a drawn-out serial with a new chapter each week or two.

But,... I don't know. Let's be honest. With no cash prize on the line, I like to think of the basic rules as more of guidelines. And I think if there was a follow-up later down the road that followed the same characters through a different story arc and wasn't titled with "Ch. 02" it would be all right and not a violation of the intent behind the posted rules.

TL;DR - Bring it on! The more choices our Geeks (and Nerds) have to point at as proof we love 'em, the better!

I'm so sorry Puckit. EB is right😥 - age is creeping up on me too. Soon, soon another birthday and I'll have a 7 in my age. A July birthday ....

You do know that means we were the product of someone getting frisky on or around Halloween, right? That explains oh so much. :D

And as far as your age, don't sweat it, Grasshopper. Just because I've got shirts older than you doesn't mean anything. :cool:

Now, quit checking the forums and get back to work on your magnum opus! I'm looking forward to what you've got on the transom with equal parts trepidation and anticipation.

Back