Finish a story

Go for it. You're already a fan and know what the story's about.

You didn't read the other thread.

Whenever this comes up (and it does, regularly) the consensus is that, unless you have the original writer's permission, you should NOT take another writer's characters and story line and try to continue or "finish" someone else's story. It's their work, not yours.

Write your own material, your own characters.
 
Continuing another person's story, even with permission, can be very troublesome even if you are as good or better writer. Readers usually expect a particular style and progression of events, which will in at least some cases be very different from what you have in mind, and they will take their disappointment out on you, even if you are proceeding from notes left by the previous author (unlikely as that is). Doing it without permission is outright plagiarism.

There are many story threads on this site that have not been completed - an assumption based on an unfulfilled promise to continue rather than on what you or I might think is a story that needs to go on. Some of these are because the author has shuffled off to write erotica in the sky, some because they have lost interest in the site and some because they appear to have lost interest in the story. There are examples of all three and there are likely other reasons. But in no case does it make sense to appropriate the author's work and go forward in a direction that can't be said absolutely to be the direction the original author intended. That doesn't mean that an author can't use another author's characters and setting with permission and generally input from the other author, as adjuncts to his or her story, to perhaps add depth. Authors frequently do that with their own characters, which pop back and forth between story lines, or even real people.

That is far different from trying to continue someone else's story line, an effort almost always destined to failure for the simple reason that you aren't the other author.
 
Back
Top