The Exorcist.

bigmane

Really Really Experienced
Supposed to be the greatest film of all time.

In my opinion the funniest film of all time.

Oh come on, all that green glop, friggin ectoplasm,
it looks so damn wooden. My Mom and Pop were trying
to scare me out of the occult. I literally fell off the couch.

I did try to be very polite but after a certain point I couldn't
hold the laughter in!

hold the laughter in!

Ummm...

I've never heard of it being described as the greatest film of all time, but in its day it was a huge blockbuster and was regarded as very scary. I don't think that reputation survives especially well to the present day, although I wouldn't call it funny.

That was, arguably, the greatest era for movie-making. The Godfather and Chinatown both came out around that time (the early 70s). Then Star Wars happened and the movie industry changed forever.

The Exorcist? Great? Ummmmm. It was an okay horror movie in its day but I thought it was a bit dated. Sure didn't do much for me.

Greatest movies?

Dr Zhivago
Casablanca
The Wild Bunch
Pride and Prejudice
Lord of the Rings #1!!!!!!!
Apocalypse Now

The Exorcist? Nah, compared to the gore-fests that get shown in the name of entertainment these days, it's barely worth an eyebrow twitch. And great? I think not; groundbreaking, maybe, although prior to that or nearly contemporary with it, about the only 'genre' films to compare it to were 'Rosemary's Baby' and those crappy 'Omen' movies, so maybe compared to them it does stand out. My own cinematic taste runs to the well made, rather than the epic, so my favourites list includes all of these as my stand-out, have to watch again movies:

True Grit (1969)
To Kill a Mockingbird
Klute
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (the breathtaking backdrop, the cinematography, and the lush, lurid Technicolor [and Joanne Dru, of course,] make this a perennial favourite)
The Princess Bride
They Shoot Horses, Don't They
Little Big Man
THX1138
Dr. Strangelove
The Producers (Zero Mostel & Gene Wilder)
Young Frankenstein
The Innocents ('The Turn of The Screw') 1961
Some Like It Hot
2001: A Space Odyssey

hold the laughter in!

Oh, I do hope for your sensitivities that there were no gay people in the movie. ;)

True Grit (1969)
To Kill a Mockingbird
Klute
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (the breathtaking backdrop, the cinematography, and the lush, lurid Technicolor [and Joanne Dru, of course,] make this a perennial favourite)
The Princess Bride
They Shoot Horses, Don't They
Little Big Man
THX1138
Dr. Strangelove
The Producers (Zero Mostel & Gene Wilder)
Young Frankenstein
The Innocents ('The Turn of The Screw') 1961
Some Like It Hot
2001: A Space Odyssey

2001. I'll give you that. :D although the special effects are a bit dated.

If we're talking real classics, Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900. Now that was a work of art. Ingmar Bergman and "The Serpents Egg." And what about Herzog and Fitzcarraldo or Aguirre: Wrath of God. Those two just had such an impact on me.

If we're talking real classics, Bernardo Bertolucci's 1900. Now that was a work of art. Ingmar Bergman and "The Serpents Egg." And what about Herzog and Fitzcarraldo or Aguirre: Wrath of God. Those two just had such an impact on me.

Copy those sentiments, and Beachbum's list is a good one.

Add a few by Tarkovsky (Andrei Roublev, Solaris, Stalker), some more Bergman and Kurosawa, and we're really talking.

Re 2001: remember Kubrick put his men on the moon before NASA put their men on the moon; and yes, NASA did give him one of only two of their high speed lenses (used to film Barry Lyndon in candle light). I believe the other one is still on the moon.

Copy those sentiments, and Beachbum's list is a good one.

Add a few by Tarkovsky (Andrei Roublev, Solaris, Stalker), some more Bergman and Kurosawa, and we're really talking.

Re 2001: remember Kubrick put his men on the moon before NASA put their men on the moon; and yes, NASA did give him one of only two of their high speed lenses (used to film Barry Lyndon in candle light). I believe the other one is still on the moon.

Ah, you have reminded me:
Kurosawa. A genuine master.

Films exceed Sturgeon's Law. 99% are crap. The gems are drowned in dross.

</grumpiness>

...yes, NASA did give him one of only two of their high speed lenses (used to film Barry Lyndon in candle light). I believe the other one is still on the moon.
IIRC that was a 50mm or so with a wide-open aperture of f/0.7 and it cost a shitload. [/me checks Wikipedia] Ah yes, here's the scoop:
The Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/0.7 is one of the largest relative aperture (fastest) lenses in the history of photography. The lens was designed and made specifically for the NASA Apollo lunar program to capture the far side of the moon in 1966.

Stanley Kubrick used these lenses when shooting his film Barry Lyndon, which allowed him to shoot scenes lit only by candlelight.

In total there were only 10 lenses made. One was kept by Carl Zeiss, six were sold to NASA, and three were sold to Kubrick.
You can see one live, in person, at LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) near the La Brea Tar Pits. (LACMA intrudes in some of my stories.) It's a beast. I missed it when I saw the Van Gogh show there. Maybe next time.

If anyone is interested, I can tell you how to make a 50/0.7 or faster lens for only a few dollars using cheap closeup adapters. IQ (image quality) will suck immensely but FUCK it will be FAST!

Ah, you have reminded me:
Kurosawa. A genuine master.

Yes he was. I'd missed him. "Ran" is still one I watch in awe.

Peckinpah as well. The Wild Bunch was such a classic western. They usually bore me to tears but that one I can watch and rewatch. "The Lover" with Jane March was another classic. The original "Bladerunner".

Films exceed Sturgeon's Law. 99% are crap. The gems are drowned in dross.

</grumpiness>

IIRC that was a 50mm or so with a wide-open aperture of f/0.7 and it cost a shitload. [/me checks Wikipedia] Ah yes, here's the scoop:
You can see one live, in person, at LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) near the La Brea Tar Pits. (LACMA intrudes in some of my stories.) It's a beast. I missed it when I saw the Van Gogh show there. Maybe next time.

If anyone is interested, I can tell you how to make a 50/0.7 or faster lens for only a few dollars using cheap closeup adapters. IQ (image quality) will suck immensely but FUCK it will be FAST!

Ten made? More than I thought, I'm a sucker for the two lens myth! I've seen Kubrick's lens, and the Arriflex camera he threw out the window for A Clockwork Orange, and the Star Child from 2001. There was a travelling exhibition about a decade ago of Kubrickania - the manuscript from The Shining really is two inches of closely typed pages - and a shit ton of other stuff... just amazing.

The film that had the most profound emotional impact on me, for reasons I still don't fully understand, was Tornatore's 1988 masterpiece, 'Cinema Paradiso'; even watching it today 30 years later, it still has the power to stir and move me. I'm a fan of world cinema, there are many movies I could name from around the world that left me shaken and stirred, entertained, moved, or amused, but this film ranks up there as one of my most unforgettable.

Not far behind, though, are Yojimbo, Beineix's 'Betty Blue' (1992), but a special mention has to go to 'Baise-Moi' (2000), Virginie Despentes' grimly explicit story of a rape victim and a prostitute on an ultimately self-destructive killing spree across France. It's a hard film to watch, and yes, the sex is explicit (very explicit), but completely devoid of any eroticism.

This is not a smutty movie to get your motor running, it's a rambling, shocking, intense road movie, and the interest, to me, at least, lies in the extent to which Despentes and the film's co-director, Coralie Trinh Thi, a former adult movie star, divorce the sex acts depicted from any kind of titillation or erotic intent, concentrating instead on the anger, estrangement, and increasing sociopathy of the two women as they spiral into self-destruction. A very worthy movie, I thought, but not to everyone's taste.

Last edited:
... Not far behind, though, are Yojimbo, Beineix's 'Betty Blue' (1992), but a special mention has to go to 'Baise-Moi' (2000), Virginie Despentes' grimly explicit story of a rape victim and a prostitute on an ultimately self-destructive killing spree across France. It's a hard film to watch, and yes, the sex is explicit (very explicit), but completely devoid of any eroticism.

Betty Blue was really intense. my personal taste is more for light entertainment but I do watch more than just that. I like a lot of "international" movies. Mostly now tho I'll watch Hong Kong, Chinese, Korean and the occasional Japanese movie. Some of the old ones like "The Killer" starring Chow Yun Fat for example. A lot of them are awful but there's some really good ones if you look. Besides Kurosawa. And then there's some great Australian movies besides the classic Crocodile Dundee.

I thought that.

(Not worried about gay people mate, I see it as a human affection. I've been in jail,
it's nothing to me! you were rude, I let it go, you were rude again, flaunting it, the third time I thought I should answer.)

About modern series. The actors just don't seem any good.
There is an interview with Alan Bates, concerning the film
"The Shout." Even though he's played Crossley, he still doesn't
know where he fits in to society.

Admittedly, The Shout is bloody crap! "Put your fingers to your
ears when you want me to stop, not before I begin!" I can do
better than that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRf4qfkmF1M

Last edited:
Well all it was in fact, it was my parents trying to scare me
out of being an occultist.

They changed their minds when I became rich and got married.

Damned all my enemies, they came to nought.

They said, "OMG! maybe there is summat in it, you're doing very well!"

Yeah.

Betty Blue was really intense. my personal taste is more for light entertainment but I do watch more than just that. I like a lot of "international" movies. Mostly now tho I'll watch Hong Kong, Chinese, Korean and the occasional Japanese movie. Some of the old ones like "The Killer" starring Chow Yun Fat for example. A lot of them are awful but there's some really good ones if you look. Besides Kurosawa. And then there's some great Australian movies besides the classic Crocodile Dundee.

I do like some of the more inventive Korean movies, like 'The Host', one of the best 'creature features' I've ever seen, 'Train To Busan' is definitely one of the most intelligent 'Zombie Apocalypse' movies around, but my all-time fave Korean movie is 'Lady Vengeance', the third part of Park Chan-Wook's 'Vengeance Trilogy' (following Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy) and is a taut, compelling psychological thriller about a woman who, after serving a prison sentence for the murder she didn't commit, sets out to take her exquisitely plotted revenge on the real murderer, a child-killing psychopathic teacher. The subtitles didn't detract from the feel and mood one little bit. Highly Recommended.

When it comes to Aussie cinema, the films I think everyone should watch at least once are:

1. Gallipoli
2. Picnic At Hanging Rock
3. Rabbit-Proof Fence
4. Walkabout
5. Romper Stomper
6. Breaker Morant
7. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
8. Sweetie (one of Jane Campion's most underrated movies, I think it's amazing, check it out)
9. Shine
10. Strictly Ballroom

I do like some of the more inventive Korean movies, like 'The Host', one of the best 'creature features' I've ever seen, 'Train To Busan' is definitely one of the most intelligent 'Zombie Apocalypse' movies around, but my all-time fave Korean movie is 'Lady Vengeance', the third part of Park Chan-Wook's 'Vengeance Trilogy' (following Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy) and is a taut, compelling psychological thriller about a woman who, after serving a prison sentence for the murder she didn't commit, sets out to take her exquisitely plotted revenge on the real murderer, a child-killing psychopathic teacher. The subtitles didn't detract from the feel and mood one little bit. Highly Recommended.

When it comes to Aussie cinema, the films I think everyone should watch at least once are:

1. Gallipoli
3. Rabbit-Proof Fence
4. Walkabout
5. Romper Stomper
6. Breaker Morant
8. Sweetie (one of Jane Campion's most underrated movies, I think it's amazing, check it out)
9. Shine
10. Strictly Ballroom

You can't have an Aussie must-see movie list without a Mad Max movie, the best of which, I think, was Road Warrior. I might add Muriel's Wedding, too.

1. Gallipoli
3. Rabbit-Proof Fence
4. Walkabout
5. Romper Stomper
6. Breaker Morant
9. Shine
10. Strictly Ballroom

I've seen Breaker Morant (Edward Woodward). A film of the most amazing emotions about right & wrong.
"Shoot Straight ya Bastards".
And they did.

The Cars that Ate Paris - Peter Weir's first movie, about an Australian country town whose economy runs on arranging car crashes for people passing through. Who then stay, because they can't get out. Very strange.

Definitely one of the great horror movies, though for that particular micro-genre, Rosemary's Baby is far superior (seriously, a movie I've watched since I was a kid that I could watch again and again).

One does have to project themselves back to a certain time to appreciate a movie that might be, technically, dated. Of course, if you watch a movie with a matte painting backdrop and concentrate on its obvious fakeness, you lose the wonder and deep appreciation that a viewer at the time would have. Try to see it with the fresh eyes that somebody at the time would have seen it with.

Last edited:
Back