The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And once you've got your starter going, here are a couple of recipes to use.

Sourdough Jack Mabee’s Sourdough Flapjacks

The night before:
Combine 1 cup starter with 2 cups warm water and 2 ½ cups flour*. Mix well and set in a warm place over night with a tea towel over the bowl.

In the morning mix return one cup of starter to the pot and then mix in:
1 egg
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
½ cup dry or evaporated milk
Beat thoroughly. The combine:
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. light agave syrup
Blend together until smooth. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter and fold in gently. Allow the batter to rise a few minutes then fry on a lightly greased or non-stick griddle and serve. Syrup is unnecessary.

*Feel free to substitute ½ whole wheat and ½ high gluten flour for the AP.

Sourdough Jack Mabee’s Pinch-off Biscuits

8 hours before you intend to have biscuits, take a half cup of the starter and mix it with a cup of milk, and a cup of flour. Cover them with a clean dishtowel and let them grow in a warm spot. About an hour before the meal, heat the oven to 375 F., sift together 1 Tbs. sugar, ¾ tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder and ½ tsp soda with another half cup of flour.

On a bread board, lay out one cup of flour but keep the flour container close at hand. Pour the starter mix on top of the flour, sprinkle the flour/sugar mixture on top of that and begin to knead the ingredients together. If you’re like me you will find that a total of 2 ½ cups of flour isn’t anywhere enough so keep adding about a quarter cup of flour at a time until it turns into a soft dough instead of a messy batter.

Cut the dough into rounds with a biscuit cutter or an 8 oz. glass, dip each biscuit in melted butter, melted bacon drippings or salad oil and arrange them close together in a 9” pan. I like a cast iron skillet myself, just because. Let them rise for at least 30 minutes in a warm place.

Bake at 375 F for about a half hour. It might take a bit more or a bit less. Watch the oven to make sure they come out nicely brown and not too dark. There isn’t anything under the sun that is better to soak up gravy, pot likker or soup than these and they are killers under melted butter and honey!

Well, me dear, I've got that saved (where do I get rye flour?)

Does it HAVE to be 'wild' yeast?

Seriously folks; THANKS.

I've never used rye flour for it...plain white flour or half-white, half-whole wheat will do.

I think the yeast is in the air. :)

My late wife used to 'experiment' with making bread and the smells in the kitchen were something wonderful (I think it's all that Carbon Dioxide), but the yeast came either dried from the supermarket of a chunk from the Baker (which my old Mum used to use on her wines).
Nobody ever mentioned sourdough, though.
Come to think about it, that would have been illogical. . . .

Breads made of commercial yeast are a fine thing. Let no one tell you otherwise. I love a fine yeast bread. I've two bread machines and they are usually very busy in the winter months.

Wanna point me at a SIMPLE recipe please?
:)

Check the net. It's a great source of recipes--all manner and types.

And once you've got your starter going, here are a couple of recipes to use.

Sourdough Jack Mabee’s Sourdough Flapjacks

The night before:
Combine 1 cup starter with 2 cups warm water and 2 ½ cups flour*. Mix well and set in a warm place over night with a tea towel over the bowl.

In the morning mix return one cup of starter to the pot and then mix in:
1 egg
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
½ cup dry or evaporated milk
Beat thoroughly. The combine:
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. light agave syrup
Blend together until smooth. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter and fold in gently. Allow the batter to rise a few minutes then fry on a lightly greased or non-stick griddle and serve. Syrup is unnecessary.

*Feel free to substitute ½ whole wheat and ½ high gluten flour for the AP.

Sourdough Jack Mabee’s Pinch-off Biscuits

8 hours before you intend to have biscuits, take a half cup of the starter and mix it with a cup of milk, and a cup of flour. Cover them with a clean dishtowel and let them grow in a warm spot. About an hour before the meal, heat the oven to 375 F., sift together 1 Tbs. sugar, ¾ tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder and ½ tsp soda with another half cup of flour.

On a bread board, lay out one cup of flour but keep the flour container close at hand. Pour the starter mix on top of the flour, sprinkle the flour/sugar mixture on top of that and begin to knead the ingredients together. If you’re like me you will find that a total of 2 ½ cups of flour isn’t anywhere enough so keep adding about a quarter cup of flour at a time until it turns into a soft dough instead of a messy batter.

Cut the dough into rounds with a biscuit cutter or an 8 oz. glass, dip each biscuit in melted butter, melted bacon drippings or salad oil and arrange them close together in a 9” pan. I like a cast iron skillet myself, just because. Let them rise for at least 30 minutes in a warm place.

Bake at 375 F for about a half hour. It might take a bit more or a bit less. Watch the oven to make sure they come out nicely brown and not too dark. There isn’t anything under the sun that is better to soak up gravy, pot likker or soup than these and they are killers under melted butter and honey!

I saved both of these. They sound delicious.

Well, me dear, I've got that saved (where do I get rye flour?)

Does it HAVE to be 'wild' yeast?

Seriously folks; THANKS.
Wild yeast is a naturally-occurring organism. It's in the air. I generally put my raw flour and water in a quart jar, leave it open for a couple of days, then lightly cover it after feeding. I usually feed with equal parts water and flour--after removing the same amount of starter from the jar. The starter that's removed can be utilized in a recipe, given as a gift to a friend or disposed of if you're not inclined to bake at that time. Of course, disposal seems like such a waste, so try to use it in something.

Once you've got your bread made, serve it with this.

Roast Chicken With Plums

Ingredients
For the chicken:

2 large lemons
2 tablespoons ground sumac
4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, grated on a microplane or minced
2 chickens, 4 to 4 1/2 pounds each
1 bunch thyme, more for garnish

For the plums:

2 ¼ pounds plums, halved or quartered if large
4 shallots, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon allspice

Preparation

Grate the zest from the lemons and place in a small bowl. Set aside the zested lemons.
Stir sumac, salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice into the lemon zest. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the garlic. The mixture should feel like wet sand. Rub it all over the chickens, including inside the cavity.
Divide thyme bunch in half and place in the chicken cavities. Place chickens on a roasting rack set over a rimmed baking sheet, and let marinate, uncovered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
When ready to roast, let chickens come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
In a large roasting pan, toss together plums, shallots, honey, oil, salt, cinnamon, allspice, bay leaf and 2 tablespoons water. Spread out plum mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Place chickens on the rack over the plums in the pan. Roast for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, squeeze 1 tablespoon juice from reserved lemon and mix it with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Drizzle this over the chicken, then reduce heat to 350 and continue to roast until the birds are golden-skinned and cooked through, about 30 to 45 minutes longer, maybe more.
Let chickens rest, covered lightly with foil, for 10 minutes. Carve and serve with the plums and more thyme for garnish.

Once you've got your bread made, serve it with this.

Roast Chicken With Plums

Ingredients
For the chicken:

2 large lemons
2 tablespoons ground sumac
4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, grated on a microplane or minced
2 chickens, 4 to 4 1/2 pounds each
1 bunch thyme, more for garnish

For the plums:

2 ¼ pounds plums, halved or quartered if large
4 shallots, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon allspice

Preparation

Grate the zest from the lemons and place in a small bowl. Set aside the zested lemons.
Stir sumac, salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice into the lemon zest. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and the garlic. The mixture should feel like wet sand. Rub it all over the chickens, including inside the cavity.
Divide thyme bunch in half and place in the chicken cavities. Place chickens on a roasting rack set over a rimmed baking sheet, and let marinate, uncovered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
When ready to roast, let chickens come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
In a large roasting pan, toss together plums, shallots, honey, oil, salt, cinnamon, allspice, bay leaf and 2 tablespoons water. Spread out plum mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Place chickens on the rack over the plums in the pan. Roast for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, squeeze 1 tablespoon juice from reserved lemon and mix it with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Drizzle this over the chicken, then reduce heat to 350 and continue to roast until the birds are golden-skinned and cooked through, about 30 to 45 minutes longer, maybe more.
Let chickens rest, covered lightly with foil, for 10 minutes. Carve and serve with the plums and more thyme for garnish.

You seriously need to invite me for dinner. I mean, really.

Let me get moved. This new house is perfect for entertaining and for visiting guests. Heck, Portland might make a good place for a Litogether. It certainly has plenty of beer.

Let me get moved. This new house is perfect for entertaining and for visiting guests. Heck, Portland might make a good place for a Litogether. It certainly has plenty of beer.

I couldn't care less about beer--but a trip anywhere outside of Illinois sounds fine at this moment. My gardens have failed, the ground is cracked and dry, the grass is dying and it's muggy and hot. I need somewhere pretty.

I couldn't care less about beer--but a trip anywhere outside of Illinois sounds fine at this moment. My gardens have failed, the ground is cracked and dry, the grass is dying and it's muggy and hot. I need somewhere pretty.

Well, the good news is that the ticket will likely be less than $150.
Unless, of course, you elect to fly your broom (could be a bit chilly, though).
On the other hand, I could lend you my Dragon (he has Heated Seats, now).

:rose:

Well, the good news is that the ticket will likely be less than $150.
Unless, of course, you elect to fly your broom (could be a bit chilly, though).
On the other hand, I could lend you my Dragon (he has Heated Seats, now).

:rose:

Meh, the cold doesn't bother me--and the broom is quite comfortable.

Good grief, it's 96F outside . . . and raining! I can't even remember when something that weird happened in SoCal . . . climatologically speaking, of course.

Well tonight my favorite brewery and my favorite local high-end restaurant teamed up for a farm-to-table dinner. It cost me a wad but signing up for it was the best decision I made this week. Great beer (in vast quantities) and wonderful food. The company was fun, too. Of course, getting home while at least three (maybe five) sheets to the wind was a challenge but I made it and now will sleep like a rock . . . at least until the terrorier decides it's breakfast time!

Well tonight my favorite brewery and my favorite local high-end restaurant teamed up for a farm-to-table dinner. It cost me a wad but signing up for it was the best decision I made this week. Great beer (in vast quantities) and wonderful food. The company was fun, too. Of course, getting home while at least three (maybe five) sheets to the wind was a challenge but I made it and now will sleep like a rock . . . at least until the terrorier decides it's breakfast time!

Bear, that is one wonderful sign.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back