Iain (M) Banks

I was gutted when I heard this yesterday. He has written some of my all-time favourite books - I highly commend The Crow Road (best opening line ever: "It was the day my grandmother exploded.") or Consider Phlebas, the book that turned SF on its head for me.

I've had the good fortune to meet Iain several times (have I mentioned I love my job?), and can honestly say he's one of the few authors I respect and admire who hasn't been a disappointment when I met them. Whip-smart, witty, profane, generous - a genuine good guy.

Go. Buy his books. From your local bookstore, not Amazon. ;)

That way you'll be doing three good turns: for his partner, your hard-working local bookseller and yourself.

I was gutted when I heard this yesterday. He has written some of my all-time favourite books - I highly commend The Crow Road (best opening line ever: "It was the day my grandmother exploded.") or Consider Phlebas, the book that turned SF on its head for me.

I've heard good things about those, too. Is Consider Phlebas a good place to start on the Culture?

I was given 'The Wasp Factory' by a trans man friend. He had been given it by somebody who just told him "I think you'll find this interesting" without any further explanation... um, yeah. Interesting book but not for everybody!

I've heard good things about those, too. Is Consider Phlebas a good place to start on the Culture?

I was given 'The Wasp Factory' by a trans man friend. He had been given it by somebody who just told him "I think you'll find this interesting" without any further explanation... um, yeah. Interesting book but not for everybody!

Consider Phlebas is as good a place to start. They all pretty much stand alone.

And yeah, The Wasps Factory's strong meat, but that's true of many if his mainstream novels. Complicity especially... :D

Very sad news. Read and enjoyed The Wasp Factory when I was younger. Made a deep impression. Wonderful writer.

Back