Heartless - closed for Ravenloft and Eklectikchik

She shifted a little again and sighed in her sleep as she spoke to Hexen in her mind. She wasn't entirely sure what to ask. “Is Treyis under a spell as well?” She finally asked, remembering his red eye and how it glowed before fading out to his stunning blue. “Will...will he harm me?” She asked Hexen, not wanting to imagine that she was actually being led by the enemy.
 
"Dispair, Treyis is cursed, most cruely."

"Uncertainty, I don't know."

*****

In the waking realm Treyis began to hum softly to himself so as not to wake Tamara, unaware of the conversation that was happening right under his nose. He looked down at the way Tamara's hands folded around his waist and without realizing it, he smiled to himself for the first time in nearly a hundred years.
 
Tamara tried to grasp onto the dream world so she could continue to talk to Hexen, but as she tried to form more questions and reach out to him, she was suddenly drawn back out.

Blinking sleepy eyes, she yawned and groaned, wondering how long she'd been asleep. To her dismay, she found that she'd made herself comfortable against Treyis's back and was hugging his middle.

Slowly she drew back, sitting back up. He didn't fuss at her or seem angry, but Hexen's words rang clearly in her head. "H-how long was I asleep?"
 
"Hmm? Not long, less than an hour." Treyis made his last hum more of a question as he realized Tamara was awake. The spot where she'd been resting against his back felt the loss of her warmth suddenly, and he straightened his back as if that would aleviate the chill. "You were sleeping sound though." He observed, feeling an odd sense of loss.

They rode along side a trickling stream, the woods at their back and vast swaths of rolling country side folded out all around them, far in the distance was the vague hint of blue mountains and all of it was lit by the warm, mid day sun. It was peaceful and lonely, but full of life and activity at the same time. Days like this used to make his heart swell, near out of his chest. Now it floated in a damn jar, someplace, he knew not where. It was enough to make any man rage, but even that was lost to him now too.

His hands gripped Hexen's reigns tighter, making his leather gloves squeak and his throat began to grow tight. He cleared it and asked Tamara. "Are you hungry?" His voice seeming thicker than before. Hexen's gaite immediately slowed as the beast nodded his head. Treyis cleared his throat again and patted Hexen's neck. "Okay, okay..." He muttered as he slipped out of the saddle and turned to help Tamara get down. His brow was knit with uncertainty, poorly masked by a look of pride.
 
Tamara held onto his shoulders as he helped lower her down, his hands almost spanning her entire slender waist. Her feet hit the cool grass underfoot and she sighed softly, loving the feel of the cool blades, but the look on Treyis's face was not a good one.

Her hands lingered longer than she meant them to as she gazed up at him, her eyes searching his. "Are you alright?" She asked softly. Perhaps caught off guard or thrown off by all that had happened recently, she wasn't sure, but this time he didn't seem to look away. She found herself lost in the blue of his eyes, so cool they sent a shiver down her spine. One of fear and something else...something she'd never felt before.

Swallowing, she moistened her lips nervously and held his gaze and felt his feelings slowly filter through her mind. Hopelessness, loss, loneliness, anger, emptiness, betrayal...she quickly drew her hands away and stepped back, hugging herself. "Oh Treyis..."
 
Treyis' eyes went wide and his lips parted, finally realizing what had been creeping up on him ever since he'd freed this girl from her fate at the hands of the ogres. She, somehow, had reconnected him with his emotions. "Impossible..." He muttered, turning his face away from her.

"How?" He asked, at war with his own senses. "Why?" Of course, none of that mattered. He cut through the distractions like cutting through sinew and went to one knee, looking up at her pleadingly. "Help me. If you have the power... Please... Help me..." His voice was desperate and strangled as he clasped her arms by her wrists so tightly that he made her wince.

"Gently..." Hexen sent firmly into Treyis' mind. Treyis looked down and loosened his grip. Sinking to both knee's and then back on his ass, struggling for breath, making a strangled sound in his throat.
 
Tamara gasped in surprise and half horror. She didn't understand what was wrong, or what was going on. Still trapped in his grip, she stumbled as he dropped back on his ass. "Treyis!" She squeaked and fell to her knees, still weak.

She jerked her gaze to Hexen, feeling a little helpless. "What's wrong with him?!"

He sounded as though he was choking, which made her almost frantic. "Treyis!"
Looking back at the man who had saved her life not once, but twice, she tugged until her wrists were free and cupped his face and forcing his gaze back to her. "Look at me!"

One hand slipped down to his neck, clasping him tenderly around the throat and drawing in a deep breath. "Breathe with me...come now...breathe slowly." She drew some strength from the earth under her knees, trying to soothe his frantic and emotional outburst. "Just feel my breaths...calm Treyis, calm..." She soothed softly.
 
Hexen took a careful step toward the two of them, bobbing his head. He sent. "Concern" To Tamara, but was blotted out by the din of Treyis' emotions. "Feel." He urged Treyis, encouragingly. "Follow Tamara." Uncertain if he could even hear at the moment.

With his wide eyes Treyis mannaged a nod and covered Tamara's hand with his own, gently this time. It felt like she was guiding him and he let it happen even though he had not heard Hexen's urging, he'd felt it.

It took some time, but eventually, he managed to calm his breath and focus. His right eye began to flare, turning a blazing red, seemingly from within, and only Tamara could see it. "I'm okay, I'm just..." He looked up at her, not knowing that he was betraying her again to his Mistress. He reached out and touched her cheek gently, giving her a soft smile. "Thank you. He said sincerely.
 
She nodded slowly and equally slowly drew back, needing to distance herself. Something about that eye made her uneasy and she was drained...healing, soothing, all of those things took it out of her. Malnourished and exhausted still from her week of terror, she wasn't quite fit enough to do this sort of thing and Tamara sagged back, feeling limp.

"You're welcome..."

When he looked worried, she waved a trembling hand at him. "I'm okay...just, tired and still a little weak. Give me a moment. I'll be alright."

Gathering herself, she looped her around her knees and pulled them close, regarding him. "What...happened?"
 
"I..." Treyis began but was suddenly distracted by Hexen making a shrill sound, making the both of them jump on an instinctual level.

He was on his feet, sword and dagger drawn, ready for anything. Looking about, he didn't see anything that could have caused Hexen's sudden outburst. It clicked then. The whinny was a warning. He kept his back to Tamara and commanded Hexen to his side. "I will explain it to you in time, but you must answer me this one question, Tamara. Did you notice my eyes change again just now?" He was in his saddle in one quick motion, making Hexen circle around unsteadily in place.
 
"Yes!" She exclaimed, moving out of the way as he jumped onto Hexen's back and the two tried to block her from whatever it was that would attack. Nervously, Tamara scrambled to her feet and looked around her. "You're scaring me. Please...what is it this time!" She asked, feeling slightly nauseous.

Bad magic...she'd heard of it, but never experienced it in her 18 tender years. Her mother had spoken of it, tales had been shared, but no one had ever known another that practiced the dark arts. Tamara herself had always been one of light, never darkness.

"Treyis?" She stumbled, her back hitting the hard bark of a tree. One root snapped up and caught her ankle. She struggled a moment, panic setting in, but as she reached down, realized that no evil was attacking her. She'd simply stepped on uneven earth and got herself stuck.
 
Last edited:
"As I feared..." He looked everywhere, but at her until she got her foot stuck. Then he afforded her a glance. "If you are in tune with nature as I suspect, then I need you to send out a silent call to... Something... Anything the more vicious, the better. Can you do that, Tamara?" He asked. "Quickly now!" He barked turning and spurring Hexen away. There was no time to explain. Hexen managed to send to her as they raced off "Calm." It was just a feeling, nothing more.

The minutes dragged on like hours and Treyis was slowly growing more and more frantic. "Come on... Come on... Give us something... A wolf... A bear... A wyvern... Something..." He hissed to himself, knowing they needed to encounter something before the Mistress became suspicious and used her magick to manifest herself in their presence, there by instantly revealing their ruse and not only putting Tamara in even graver danger than she was already in, but also, themselves.
 
Last edited:
Tamara gulped down a breath and tried to concentrate as she watched Treyis leave her. She wanted to call out and tell him not to go. Come back! Her mind screamed, but she kept mouth shut. She felt Hexen for a moment, tried to latch onto the feeling. Yes...calm...she had to be calm. They would be back, she told herself.

Drawing deep inside her, she sank back down to her knees and did as he'd asked. While she didn't know what purpose it would serve, she dared not follow through.

"Please be safe." She whispered and closed her eyes, drawing in a breath and letting it out. She drew out her powers, reluctantly at first and then letting the tendrils flow, calling out, tempting...baiting...
 
Hexen was the first to hear the subtle sound of a feline growl and turned in place to give Treyis a direction. *fffzup!* This was a diferent sound, but very distinct. "Displacer" Hexen sent as Treyis finished their mutual realization. "Beast.

*Fpt, ffft, ftamp!* "Wrawrle!" The mighty beast shrieked as it popped into existance with a whips of sulfurous smoke and pops of air filling the vacumes of space where it had 'hopped' through with its inherant magical gift of displacement.

Hexen lurched out of the way, making Treyis nearly lose his balance as he turned to face the warped cat-like beast. "Steady! Steady..." Treyis warned. But Hexen was in a panic, bucking in circles. "Get off! Get away! Get! Get!" Hexen was sending frantically. "Damn you, you're gonna get us ki... Woah!!!" Treyis got thrown, but mannaged to roll away.

"Hmph, bout time! Two against one... Master..." Hexen sent, rearing up and brandishing his hooves threateningly at the beast who was already stalking sideways, reasessing the situation. It locked its eyes on Treyis snarling, baring its white fangs. Treyis looked up as he rolled to his feet, his hair a mess in his face. He grinned, showing his teeth as he unsheathed his weapons. Live or die, at least Tamara was safe from the fate his Mistress had in store for her for one more day. "Come..." He urged the beast, ready meet his end, or bring an end to it.

Hexen saw his moment and charged just as the beast was about to spring upon Treyis. As expected the displacer popped through space several times. It was almost mezmerizing how efficient and lithe the beast was. A real death machine. What it could never have expected as it appeared and clawed into Treyis' chest was that he was no longer mortal. With his heart in the hands of the Mistress, his body would not die no matter how greivous a wound he suffered.

Not unless his heart was returned to his chest and the cursed geas upon him was lifted, that is.

He suffered the sharp pain of raking claws though, but what was that? Just information before the senses... He'd delt with far worse. And as the Displacer Beast claimed his throat, to strangle him to death, it afforded Treyis an easy kill, slipping his knife solidly into the beasts all too mortal heart, sundering it.

"Hexen, return to the girl, keep her safe and where she is. I've work to be done... For the Mistress..." Treyis sent, his throat in no shape for speaking, torn as it was.

Hexen lingered for a moment but did as he was commanded, racing back to protect Tamara, and keep her from seeing Treyis in such an utter mess.
 
Tamara heard the thunder of Hexen's hooves before she even saw him and her arms fell limply to her side as she gazed helplessly forward, drained and too weak to move. “Hexen...” she whispered, as he entered her line of vision, but where was Treyis? Dread slithered down her spine.

The large stallion came close, snuffling and huffing, his great head bowing in greeting as she reading up to touch him. “Where is he?”

“Working. Alive.” Hexen answered in her mind.

With a sigh of relief, she sat back on her bottom and felt her world spin. “Good. Need...rest.” She slurred out. Hexen slowly came down, nuzzling her cheek gently before letting her lean into his side. She smiled and caressed him. “You're a good boy...” She murmured, darkness quickly plunging all around her as she surrendered to her bodies needs.

“Hexen?” In her dreams, Tamara called out.

“Here.”

“Are we safe...now? Is Treyis hurt?
 
"Certainty, yes, safe for now."

"Confidence, Treyis suffers, but will be fine when he returns."

"Respect, You did good. Saved us all."

"Regret, wish I could tell you how... Why."

"Hope, ask more questions of me while you can, perhaps you will guess."
 
"This is dark magic, is it not?" She questioned, frowning in thought. "I've never know powers like these, though legends have said that they are powerful enough to steal a persons soul."

Trying to pinpoint Hexen through the darkness, Tamara strained to see. "Is this true? What matter of person would want to curse someone so cruelly? Has this happened to Treyis? It cannot be!" She spoke to herself, rambling, trying to put the pieces together. "I felt his emotions...so lonely, so lost, so...angry. A fire in him still burns!!"
 
Last edited:
"Wisdom, like a blade, magic is a tool, the darkness comes from the user."

"Protectiveness, aye, and I hope you never do, it is a terrible burden."

"Certainty, yes, far too many of the ancient legends are grounded in truth."

"Frustration, I can only tell you that it is someone Treyis let far too close to his heart."

"Relief, yes, Treyis is curse, most cruelly."

"Surprise, you felt... Him?"

"Doubt, that is very much impossible..."
 
"But I did!" She insisted. "Before he fell t the ground. I thought I had somehow hurt him, but I didn't mean to touch him like that...it just happens."

She pondered Hexen's words, a person close to Treyis who betray him. But she didn't know much about this sort of magic. She now wished she did. She wanted to help.

"That person must be powerful." She spoke out loud, trying to connect the dots. "They say that blood is thicker than water...the bonds are usually strong. They must be kin to him."

"Hexen...are they kin to him?"
 
"Yearning, If it's something in how you touch him, don't stop, you may be the only one who can free Treyis."

"Profound relief, I think you know the answer to that."

*****

A cool hand slipped under Tamara's head, rousing her from her unconciousness. It was Treyis. He wore diferent clothes than the one's he'd left in and thick scarf around his neck. It was a poor job at concealing that he'd taken a wound there, but hid the majority of it until it could heal. "Tamara..." He whispered, his voice strange sounding, as though it was a struggle to speak.
 
Tamara blinked sleepy eyes up at Treyis and took in the sight of him with a small sigh. She knew he was hurt. “Treyis.” She whispered softly and tried to lift her arm up, but it felt like led. “So tired.” She whispered, aching to help him. Wanting to heal him. “Want to help...”

He hushed her gently and suddenly she felt herself being lifted. The solidness of Hexen soon was felt under her body and then Treyis was with her again, pulling her close. She shifted, not wanting to burden him, but too tired to argue as he pulled in front of him, circling his arms around her.”

“Weak...need sleep.” She murmured, grasping the front of his shirt with a small hand and pressed against where his heart had been as she slipped back into darkness, only this time, a dreamless state.
 
Treyis looked into Tamara's sleepy eyes and let out a breath of relief. She seemed drained, and he wasn't sure why, but even still, her instinct was to help him. Years ago, even days ago, that would have meant nothing to him, but now... He looked her over, and saw such a frail, whispy woman on the edge of conciousness, and all she could think was to help him?

He hushed her, feeling his eyes sting as he lifted her in his arms. She was light as a feather even though her body was nearly limp with fatigue. Looking down at her as he walked to Hexen with her in his arms, he felt the urge to fill his senses with the sight, smell and taste of her but denighed it as he put her up in Hexen's saddle and hoisted himself up as well.

She murmured and tried to help him and he felt another pang of tenderness for her. "Sleep now..." He whispered as he held her securely to his chest, having her faced in toward him, making her as comfortable as he knew how.

She finally slipped into unconciousness as he held her close. He lowered his lips to the top of her head and breathed in the scent of her hair. "I'll take care of you, darlin." He whispered.

Hexen started off in a slow gait, lifting his head and turning to give Treyis a quick look.

"Really, and how will you do that? When the Mistress commands, you'll have no choice but to cut out her heart."

"I won't." Treyis replied, coldly.

"You will, or you will suffer more pain than even you can bear."

"The Mistress can destroy me for all I care, I won't harm this woman."

"Right, like she's fool enough to outright destroy you... She'll keep you in constant pain for the rest of eternity as long as she posesses your heart."

Treyis looked down at Tamara and grinned. "Then I'll suffer..."
 
Tamara slept deeply and woke up a few hours later, still lulled by the rhythm that Hexen had set. She was pressed up against Treyis, warm and comfortable in the circle of his arms. With a soft groan, she shifted and yawned, blinking large sleepy eyes up at him. "Treyis?"

His blue gaze moved to connect with hers and she struggled to sit up, feeling almost like a child. Feeble and useless. "Are you alright?" She asked, lifting herself as best she could, straightening her back as she grasped his shirt for support and pulled herself up.

Large hands steadied her, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so useless...my talents have drained me. I haven't truly rested or eaten a solid meal in over a week. Forgive me, if I've become a burden to you."

Her gaze shifted to the blood soaked scarf around his neck and she frowned. "Are you truly alright?"
 
Treyis had been in silent contemplation when Tamara woke with a groan and a yawn. He looked down into her soft eyes when she said his name, the hint of a smile on his lips.

"I am fine..." He answered, watching the way she moved, helping her when it looked like she might need his hands to keep her steady. "Don't be, it was your..." He kept his voice hushed as if he wished to guard her talent like a secret. "Power... Which saw us through the day. I've got us lots of food. Meat, so you will eat well tonight. More than we all are likely going to be able to eat before some of it goes to waste in fact.

There was a distinct scratch to his voice still as she fixed her attention on his throat. It had improved greatly while she slept, but he would not willingly let her see the wound just yet. "I will be fine. You need to regain more of your strength before you concern yourself with me." He said flatly, bringing a hand to his neck to keep the scarf securely in place.
 
Tamara touched the back of his hand which held the scarf in place and then drew it away. “Okay...I'll leave it for now. But later, will you let me see to it?”

Her question hung in the air for a long while before he gave her a slow measured nod. She smiled then and seemed to relax. Her stomach rumbled and cramped as her thoughts shifted to meat...food in general. “I hope dinner is sometime soon.” She said wistfully, pressing a slender hand to her belly.

Just as swiftly, her mind moved to other things and she was once again gazing up at Treyis with curiosity. “Will we reach a town tonight or will we continue to travel?”
 
Back
Top