Protection (closed)

heartofcourage

Literotica Guru
Joined
Mar 20, 2012
Posts
37,016
“Molly, eat your vegetables.” Michaela called from the sink as she looked over her shoulder at her five year old daughter as she picked and prodded at the carrots that were left on her plate. “Please, sweetie?”

Times had been hard from the Smith family. Michaela had divorced Molly’s father a year ago and the little girl still harbored a bit of anger at her mother for sending the man that she loved above all others away forever. Michaela didn’t have the heart to tell Molly that her father was a bad man and had been sent to prison for drug trafficking shortly after their divorce.

Michaela turned back to her dishes, sighing as she thought about the mess of her life. She was a criminal proscutor for the state attorney. It was a rough career that she’d had such passion for before Molly came along. It made good money though and with the limited income of a single parent household, she knew that she couldn’t give it up.

Michaela turned back to Molly and sighed as her daughter pushed the carrots around on her plate. “Alright, you can go now. Brush your teeth and pajamas and then you can watch some TV.” She leaned down and kissed Molly’s chubby cheek, brushing her long brown hair out of her face and sending her on her way.

The five year old was too young to know about the threats that had been leveled against her mother. Michaela had been getting threatening letters and phone calls and there was talk about giving her a guard until it was solved. She was expecting the detective to show up that evening and she hoped that Molly was asleep by that point.

The knock at the door told her that she was wrong and she wiped her hands on her apron and smoothed back her blonde hair from her face and went into the living room to answer the door.
 
Alan Davidson, 48, had been with the Police Department for nearly 20 years and had advanced to Detective in the Criminal Investigations Division. He had been assigned to Protection Duty for Michaela; he was acquainted with her, having served as lead detective on several high profile cases she had prosecuted.

He didn't know just what had brought about the decision to offer her protection, but he was very good at folliwing orders and his instincts were outstanding. Knocking on the door about 7:45 (he had been instructed to be there at 8:00), he knew that Michaela was expecting him.

As the door opened, he could see the concern in her face. "Hi, Michaela. I know these aren't the best of circumstances, but I just want to help as much as possible without interfering in your life any more than necessary."

Although he had been sent to her house, and she had agreed, he still waited until she invited him to enter her home.
 
Last edited:
Michaela opened the door, giving a slight smile to the familiar face on the other end. She’d known Alan after she’d brought a few of his cases to trial. He was a nice man but one that she didn’t know a whole lot about. She moved aside and let him step into her home.

“I know. I just think that this whole thing is overkill, you know?” She said, closing and locking the door behind him. “I mean, we all get threats every once in a while, right?”

She led him towards the kitchen, stopping as Molly came rushing in dressed in her Princess pajamas. The little girl took one look at the strange man and froze, her large blue eyes wide.

“Molly, this is Detective Alan. Remember I told you that he was going to be coming over for a while?” Michaela held her breath, hoping that Molly would remember her manners and not turn into the little drama queen that she could be from time to time.

“Hi.” Came the little girl’s response before she bolted into the living room and the sound of the TV turning on soon filled the space.

“Sorry. Molly is still getting over the fact that her dad can’t come home.” She said with a shrug as she started a pot of coffee.
 
"Hi, Molly" . . . all I could get out before Molly was headed for the living room. Following you into the kitchen, "No need to apologize; I'm sure this is a very difficult time for her . . . and, obviously, for you, too."

Sitting at the table as you start the coffee . . . awkward silence filling the room until the coffee finishes brewing. When you turn to me with a cup in hand, "I'm a cop, remember . . . we all drink it black." At least that gets a bit of a smile.

Coffee in front of us . .. you sit across from me at the kitchen table. Not even thinking about what I am doing, I reach across the table and place my hand on top of yours for just a moment, "Michaela, I know this is difficult . . . I'm here to help . . . not to get in your way."

"They didn't tell me much about what is going on. I don't need all the details, but whatever you feel like telling me should help me work out a plan so that there is as little interference in your daily routine as possible."

Sitting back and lifting my coffee cup . . .
 
Michaela laughed as he said that he took his coffee black because he was a cop. “I could never forget that. My father was a cop and drank about fifteen cups of the stuff a day.” She placed the cup in front of Alan and sat across from him.

She glanced down at his hand covered hers and she sighed, listening to him say that he was here to help. “Well, it’s complicated, I guess.” She admitted to him as she pushed her cup of coffee to the side and folded her hands together.

“I started getting threatening voice mails about a month ago when I was working on the mayor’s criminal case. They were never able to figure out where they originated or who was on the voice mail. Then things just kind of got out of control. They started sending letters to my office and about a week ago they started to include Molly into the threats. It means that they know who I am or their watching me. They thought it would be best if I went on leave for a while.”

She shrugged as if it were no big deal but it had taken a toll on her personal life and on Molly’s.
 
"Well, Michaela, it is a big deal. My job is to protect the two of you . . . there are others working on the case, trying to find out who is behind this. The boss and I will work out all of the details tomorrow; for now, I will be in front of your house in an unmarked car for the night and there is another car parked at the end of the alley with an officer watching the back of the house."

"Tomorrow morning, one of our female officers will follow you while you drop off Molly and then follow you on to the office. I already have an appointment on your calendar for 10 in the morning to talk about this further."

"So as not to upset Molly any more, I'm giong to get out to my car . . . as long as I can have a refill on my coffee to take with me."
 
“I hate that you have to spend all night out there in a car watching my house. Things like this happen all the time! If you ask me, this is way too much fuss.” Michaela grumbled, hating that she was putting so many people out simply because she’d received some stupid threats.

She stood up and opened a cabinet by the sink, rummaging around inside of it to find a thermos. She put the remaining coffee into the thermos and then handed it to Alan. She gave him a slight smile.

“I shouldn’t be drinking it so late.” She said with a shrug. “Would you like a key to the house? I don’t mind if you had to come in tonight for the bathroom or even just to crash on the sofa. I can give you my extra one just in case.”
 
"The key is entirely up to you tonight. I would have asked for one in a few days after we got all the plans worked out."

After taking the coffee-filled thermos, "If I drink all that coffee, I might get arrested if a neighbor sees me pissing in their bushes and then calls the cops. I don't want to upset you or Molly, tho, if I do come in at 3:00 in the morning to use the bathroom . . . so, it is up to you."
 
Last edited:
“Molly sleeps like a rock.” She said, laughing softly at Alan’s little joke. “I really don’t mind.” She moved past the kitchen door into the living room, glancing at her daughter as she watched the TV almost without blinking. She smiled to herself as she moved to a drawer and pulled out her extra house key.

“Here.” She said, turning to hand it to Alan. The keychain on it was from a vacation her family had taken to Disneyland. Those were much happier times, she thought quietly to herself. “It opens the front and garage door. The back door has a deadbolt so I usually keep it locked from the inside unless Molly’s playing.”

“Mama, is Detective Alan staying the night?” Molly was able to turn away from the zombie inducing movie that she was watching, her blue eyes curious.

“No, sweetie.” Michaela turned back towards her daughter and crouched down in front of her. “He’s going to be sitting outside in his car tonight making sure that no bad guys come. But if you hear someone bumping around in the middle of the night, it’s going to be him using the restroom. Is that alright with you?”

It was important that Molly was alright with everything that was happening. She didn’t want to scare her daughter, but she always thought that honesty was the best policy…even with a five year old.

Molly looked over her shoulder as Alan and slowly nodded her head.
 
Standing by the door while you explain the situation to Molly . . . seeing a different side of you than I normally see in your prosecutor's role . . . and I like it. As you stand and walk to me with the key, I reach out to take it and instead of just dropping it in my hand, you let your fingers linger a bit longer than necessary when you place it in my palm.

Turning to open the door, I reach in my pocket for one of my cards. "I'm sure you know the station number, but here is my cell phone . . . I'm always available, so call if you need anything, or if something comes up that you are concerned about."

As we talk, I get a whiff of the perfume you sprayed on this morning . . . somewhat faded this late in the day . . . but still 'nice'. Damn, Alan, you are here to protect this woman and her child, not check our her perfume!

"Good night, Molly," I call over your shoulder. Instinctively wrapping my arm around your shoulder, "We'll get this figured out soon. So get a good night's sleep." Closing the door and walking to my car - key and thermos in hand.

Looking toward your house after settling in, I see the lights being turned out as the two of you head upstairs to the bedrooms.
 
The warmth of Alan’s arm wrapped around her shoulders made her shiver as she escorted him to the door. It had been a long time since she’d been touched by a man and even just the simple draping over an arm around her was enough to get her heart racing again.

Michaela had always wanted a warm home, a good man, and a house full of kids. It just seemed that when Molly came along that things changed. It wasn’t the fairy that she’d thought it would be.

She smiled at Alan and locked the door behind him, turning out the lights as she went and managed to corral Molly up to her room and tucked her into bed. “Night, sweetie.” She said softly, kissing her forehead. She smiled at her daughter as she snuggled into the blankets and she turned on her nightlight, slipping out the room into her own.

She brushed her teeth and slipped into a nightgown, sitting in her bed and trying to read a book but she was distracted with thoughts of Alan sitting outside in the cold night. She sighed and put her book back on the nightstand, picking up the card that he’d given her and dialing his number. Listening to the rings, she sighed and pulled the covers over her legs and feet.
 
Alan settled into the front seat and poured some coffee . . . damn, this is going to be a long night . . . looking up at the house, lights still on in one room, must be Michaela's bedroom.

Quickly checking with the officer in the car watching the back . . . quiet night . . . telling the second car to stay another 2 hours and then call it a night. Alan will stay until the escort arrives in the morning to get Michaela to work with a stop at the daycare with Molly.

He has to admit that Michaela is a gorgeous young lady . .. and seeing her as mother is an entirely different perspective of her than as the tough prosecutor. His phone rings . . . he looks at the number . . . Michaela, why would she be calling him now.

"This is Alan . . . what's going on Michaela?"
 
“I just can’t sleep.” She said as she heard Alan answer the phone. “I’m not distracting you, am I? It’s been a long time since I had someone to talk to that would actually listen.”

She paused, taking a deep breath to steady herself. Brushing back her blonde hair from her face, she snuggled down in the blankets of the bed and listened to the other end of the conversation. Could she admit to him that she was vulnerable? Could she admit that she was scared?

“Alan, what if those threats about Molly were real? I mean, no offence, but you guys can’t be with her all the time. I don’t know what I’d do if I lost her.”
 
"Michaela, I'm coming in . . . put on a robe and we'll talk in your living room."

Letting myself in and settling in on one end of your living room couch, waiting for you to come down. When you do, I can see the fear in your eyes that I was hearing in your voice on the phone.

I have a couple of ideas, but I want to wait until you are comfortable before sharing them. And I think I need to hear you talk first . . . not just try to solve the problem before giving you the chance to unload your feelings.

"Got some wine out there . . . I'm sure a glass would help you relax"
 
Michaela slipped out of bed after Alan hung up. She slid into her warm terrycloth robe and made her way quietly downstairs, seeing him already sitting on the end of her couch. She sighed and went into the kitchen to retrieve two glasses and a bottle of red wine. She poured them both a glass and brought then into the living room, placing one in front of him before she took a seat on the opposite side of the couch and took a deep sip from her glass.

“It’s just all so frightening. I’m use to people threatening me. I guess it really doesn’t matter anymore but why would someone say those horrible things about Molly?” She asked Alan, looking over at him with worry in her eyes. “I had my suspicions that it was Molly’s dad that was doing all of this, but he’s still behind bars and I don’t think he would ever threaten her life. So, that leaves someone unknown and that’s incredibly scary. They know so much about us and about what we do during our day. They’re probably watched us countless times doing things here at the house and when I take her to daycare.”
 
"I think we have a couple of options. But in order to keep life as uncomplicated as possible for Molly, the thing to do is have an unmarked car parked near the day care center. Without alarming the staff, we need to ask them to be just a bit more careful when it comes to watching Molly, and making sure that only 2 people are allowed to pick her up . . you or me. Absolutely no one else."

"Since you are usually in somewhat of a protective environment at the office, we need to focus our daytime protection on Molly."

Setting my glass back down on the table . . . don't really need too much wine since I am on duty and don't want anything to interfere with my judgment.

Leaning toward you and resting my hand on your knee, "Tell me what you are thinking about this idea."
 
“Yeah, I guess that would be the best plan.” She said as she looked over at Alan, watching as he leaned forward and rested his hand on her knee. It was warm, firm, strong…a working man’s hand. She bit her lower lip and looked up at him then, sighing deeply as she finished her glass of wine and set it aside.

“It’s not a bad idea. I just worry. First the divorce and now this. I’m surprised Molly isn’t acting out any more than she is right now.” She said with a shrug, gently placing her hand on Alan’s. “Ever had a five year old? It’s like living with a grumpy bear.”
 
"Been quite a while since I've had anyone around that age . . . my kids are in their 20's, but no grandkids yet . . . but from what I hear, 5-year old grandkids are totally different than a 5-year old kid you are raising."

"We will try that and see how it works . . . if you have any concerns or questions, my job is to listen and work out a solution. Why don't you go on back up to bed and try to get some sleep. I'll wait till you are back upstairs before going back out to the car."

Not sure if you are completely settled yet, "Would you feel more comfortable if I spent tonight inside the house?"
 
“Would you stay for a while?” She asked him as she made herself more comfortable on the couch, watching as he go ready to leave. “It’s silly, but I’ve always felt safer when there’s a man in the house.”

“Kids in their 20s? I can’t believe that. You don’t look old enough to have kids in their 20s.” She pulled a blanket off the back of the sofa and watched Alan as he sat back down. “How long have you been married to your wife? She’s a lucky lady.”

“My husband and I were married for seven years before we divorced. I thought we’d grow old together, but he changed when he got on drugs. Molly loves him though, so I try to keep things civil at least.” She said with a shrug, unsure of why she was sharing that information with him.
 
"We were married for 15 years . . . and like a lot of us, the job got in the way. We had a nice house, the kids had a good school system . . . and finally, she had a thing of our neighbor. The day I came home and found them swimming naked in his pool while the kids were in school was the breaking point."

"She got the house, the car, half of our savings and half of my pension at that point . . . and I got out. I'm on good terms with my kids, a boy 23, and a girl 21, and see them regularly since they both still live here in the city."

"So now, I have a condo in the dity, not far from headquarters and close to city hall. Just a boring cop that spends too much time working and caring for the people he protects."
 
“Oh, wow.” She said as he described the way that his marriage had ended. “I’m really sorry, Alan. It’s good that you still keep in contact with your kids though. I’m sure that they’re proud of you.”

“You’re one of the good cops.” Michaela smiled and snuggled up underneath her blanket. “I meet a lot of you through my job and there are some that are the scum of the earth. You actually care. That makes you one of the good ones.”

“It’s not so bad working all the time. What do you do for fun though? Between Molly and her activities, I don’t have a lot of free time but I do find that I like to do photography. I’ve taken a few classes. It’s a nice way to relax.”
 
"I guess it's like every profession . . . a few bad ones get all the headlines, but the good ones just do their job and no one notices."

"Fun . . . guess about all I do is work and go home, watch a ballgame, go to bed and get up and start all over again. I see the kids at least once a month, not always together. We'll have lunch or go out to dinner on the weekend."

"Never thought I had the patience to take up a hobby or something like that."
 
“Ballgame? Like baseball? Molly likes baseball too. I was going to take her to a game soon but with everything going on, it doesn’t look like that will happen.” She said with a deep sigh. “I guess it’s one of those things that can wait.”

She reached out and placed her hand on Alan’s knee, giving it a squeeze. “Thanks for at least being here. It goes above and beyond the call of duty.”
 
"Tell you what; give me a few days to get this protection thing all worked out, then I'll take you and Molly to a game. That way, she can see the game, and you will have your protection right there with you."

Standing up, "I better get back out to the car . . . don't want anyone to think I'm not taking my responsibility seriously." The squeeze on the knee was gentle enough to get a reaction that was definitely "unprofessional", but I don't give a damn.

Walking toward the door, "Get youself upstairs; I'll lock the door on the way out. I'll be in for coffee in the morning while you and Molly get ready for the day."
 
“Alright.” She said with a smile, standing from the couch and watching as he walked towards the door. “Good night, Alan. And thanks.”

She headed for the stairs, peeking in on Molly and gently closing her door once more before she made her way to her own bedroom and snuggled under the blankets. With a deep sigh, she fell into a peaceful sleep.

The next morning Michaela was up bright and early, bathing Molly and getting her dressed. She took her downstairs and sat her at the table with a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice. She heard the front door unlocking and she smiled as Alan walked in, looking a little worse for wear after his night’s stakeout.

“Good morning, Alan.” She said with a smile, cinching the belt on her robe tighter as she got Molly situated. “Do you think you could watch her for a few minutes while I grab a shower and change?”

“Molly, mind your manners.” She said, kissing her daughter’s forehead and leaving the little girl alone with the detective.

Molly stared at the man with her wide blue eyes, her little feet kicking under her chair as she ate her cereal. She was sizing him up, trying to decide if she could trust him or not.

“You’re old.” She finally said, deciding that he wasn’t as young as her dad.
 
Back
Top