What Happened To Us? (Closed to Kaligurl222 and myself)

Musician89

Really Experienced
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Posts
293
"Yeah, that sounds great mom. I know. Yes. Yes I know that mom." Chuckling softly into the receiver of his cell phone, Alex looked around the small park he had grown up in when a young boy. The summer heat was hot as ever, only mid-way through June and the weather made sure to remind him of that each morning. But he had no reason to complain, this was nothing compared to walking through the desert with fifty pounds of gear, clothes, and weapons on you.

Shaking the images of the ever-returning battles from his head, Alex patted his lap for his dog Kiara to come to him while listening to the ever-preaching words of his mother on the phone. "Yeah mom, okay." Another small chuckle left his lips as he shook his head. "I know. Yes, really. I'll make sure to see when I'm able to leave town when I get back home. I miss you and dad, so I'll make sure to stop by." Pausing, he heard the quivering of his mother's voice on the phone, making him realize just how long it's been since he had truly seen his mother. "Don't cry mom." With a soft whimper leaving her lips, he knew she'd be going. "Love you too mom, tell dad the same. I'll call you later."

And with those last words, his phone call came to an end and a heavy sigh left his lips. As his phone locked, a clear reflection of his tanned face and his smokey blue eyes came into view. Blinking at his reflection, he wondered if he ever knew the face looking back at him anymore. So much had changed in the past few years and a part of him only wished that he could get those years back, the golden years if you may.

"Come on girl." He said softly to his Siberian Husky, Kiara as he stood from the bench and unhooked her leash. Watching as she ran away from him, he continued to walk at a steady pace, looking around at the swaying trees and the small park in front of him. He stopped at the water fountain to get a small drink. With the cool water running down his throat, he momentarily lost himself to his thoughts before the sound of Kiara barking in the faint distance brought him out of his haze.

Wiping the fallen liquid from his moist lips and chin, Alex let his eyes scan the park before he noticed Kiara rolling in the grass and licking the hand of a woman about the same age as him, which was still fairly young. He brushed his hand through his messy-styled black hair as he approached the woman. He started to say something, until she turned and his eyes met hers.

"Kali?" He asked, completely shocked. He must be imagining things. Blinking his eyes to see if he was hallucinating the image of his high school sweetheart, Alex let out a long breath. "Wow, it's really you! You look good. How are you?" He swallowed the tightness in his throat while looking down and laughing softly. "Sorry. I'm babbling, aren't I?"
 
Kali's mind was going over her list of things she still needed to do while she was on her run. She ran in the same park everyday about the same time. It was her time to organize her thoughts and put everything in perspective. She was on her 5th mile and going over her list of errands- the florist, the bakery...and she had to stop by her Mother's house to get a few names and addresses, it felt like the entire wedding was starting to spiral out of control a little bit, when the dog ran up to her. The dog seemed friendly so she paused to pet her and say "hi" She didn't see the owner approach, she should have been paying attention. For God's sake, thats how women got abducted! When she looked up from her squatted position she had to use the dog for balance.... "Alex?" it couldn't be. It had been years.... She stood up so they were face to face. He was still talking but she didn't really hear him. She looked at him, those same eyes that had the power to draw her in every time... He looked more tired now...but they were still the same eyes.

"What are you doing here Alex?...It's been years." Kali didn't know what to say. He was the one person who had hurt her...who had broken her heart and she was sure it would never be able to be put back together again, she had tried. She had tried to move on, to find love with someone else. That love never felt the same, but she was engaged now. He was perfect...or so everyone told her. He made good money and her parents loved him. There were many times where she thought he just didn't understand her or that they were on very different pages, but it was time for her to find someone, she couldn't just keep waiting for something she had lost years before... She had always told herself if she saw him again she would let him have it....she would make him feel the way he had made her feel..... But that day had finally come and she was speechless. What was she supposed to say to him? She pushed a stray hair back behind her ear and smiled, petting the dog. "How long are you back for this time?"
 
Last edited:
Alex began to reply to her first set of questions before he realized that even if he had replied, she wouldn't have heard him. He could tell that just the same as he, a million thoughts were running through her mind and she had always been one to let her emotions show on her face. He could see the same girl that he had fallen in love with all those years ago, the pain and anger lingering in her eyes, the heartbreak showing on her face as she looked ominously at the ground.

He could tell that she had changed over the years, they both had changed. She had grown fully into her figure, and he had actually developed an even better body with the training of the army. He was in the best shape he had been in, in his entire life. And she was just as gorgeous as ever. He had the undeniable urge to just grab her and kiss her until they were both panting for breath, but he knew he couldn't do that. He couldn't just barge in and act like he owned her, he had lost her a long time ago, given her up a long time ago.

When Kali moved a strand of hair behind her ear, her delicate fingers tracing her face, Alex felt his fingers twitch, wanting to be the one to move her hair out of her eyes and face. With a sigh, he looked back up to her face, his eyes meeting hers as he replayed her question in his head. How long was he back for? She must still think he was in the army.

With a soft chuckle, he ran his fingers through his hair before replying. "Oh, you're mistaken. I've been out of the army for a few months now. I took a few trips on the way home, visiting some friends. But I've been back here for about two weeks now, getting back into the swing of things, I got a new place. And well, I'm back for good I suppose." He admitted with a sheepish smile.

"It's been way to long!" He exclaimed with a smile touching his face before he tenderly pulled her into a hug, his arm sliding around her waist as he hugged her to his body, his mind slipping into the past as he caught the familiar scent of her shampoo and perfume. His mind wandered for a brief moment before he forced himself to pull back. "We should really catch up sometime, are you free any time soon?" He asked curiously.
 
Kali nodded her head. So he was finally out? He was "home" for good? She wouldn't have ever known had it not been for his mother who lived in town....Kali had stayed in contact with her for awhile but his Mother had told her it would be best if Kali didn't come around any mroe, so the visits and the chats had stopped and with it so did the updates on his status... he hadn't accepted any letters or called or anything since he left.... "I see... " she did't know what to say to him, or how she should act. "So you got a place here?" of course he would just have to buy a place in the same town she lived in... She didn't know if she could face him every day after the history the two of them had with eachother.

She wasn't prepared for the hug....to feel his body pressed against her's. She didn't want to like being in his arms again....but somewhere inside she did. Kali forced herself to relax. If he was going to act as if nothing had happened maybe that would be the best course of action. She smiled back at him after he let go of her, "that would be nice... I'm as busy as ever but I could make time to catch up with you if you want."

She still couldn't believe he was standing there in front of her. She had waited months....years to hear from him but she got nothing. Seeing him brought up so many emotions, she was happy to see him but then it felt like someone had torn her heart out all over again.... He looked good...really good, the Army had changed him but she could tell he was also still the same guy she had given her heart to so many years ago.
 
There were so many thoughts running through his mind, it was maddening. She looked great, fantastic even, she had changed over the years. Her hair was longer, her body slimmer but fuller, her eyes wiser, her heart stronger, and still as gorgeous as the day he met her, but even more so. He couldn't believe the chances of them running into one another like this, it was crazy! And yet here they were, talking and catching up, as if they were just an old pair of friends.

Alex listened to her talk, watched her lips move, the words flowing into one ear and right back out of the other. He was lost on what to say, his arms crossing over his broad chest, letting out a soft breath as she told him that she could make time to catch up with him. A large grin crossed his lips at her agreement to catch up. He couldn't wait to hear what had been going on in her life since he had, well since he had left.

After asking for her number and programming it into his phone, he gave her one last hug before clipping Kiara's leash back onto her collar and smiling at the girl he had never fallen out of love with.

"It was really nice seeing you, really. But I need to get back to my place and shower and stuff. But I'll text you, we can work out plans to meet up, I'm really looking forward to it." He smiled at her honestly before jogging off in the other direction, his hands moving to slip his shirt off of his slightly sweaty body, his muscles rippling as he broke into a run, getting his heart beating fast as he wanted to get Kiara's daily run in.
 
She didn't know what she was doing. She wished she was able to control the way her heart fluttered and her stomach got butterflies just seeing him again... If it had been up to her she would have never been willing to say two words to him. Not after the way things had ended. But she couldn't control how she felt. So she agreed to meet up with him and catch up. She wasn't sure her heart could take it if she heard he was happily married with kids.... Which was strange, considering she was engaged to be married herself. She tried to shake those thoughts as she gave him her phone number and agreed that they would set something up soon.

She hugged him back, feeling his toned body against her's. He looked good..... really good. It was obvious that the military had done alot for him, but she could never forget that it had also taken the love of her life away from her as well. When he mentioned needing to get back to his place she nodded, "Yeah, I need to get to a few appointments too.... It was good to see you." the words were genuine, another surprise to herself.

As he took off on his run she couldn't help but to watch him and the dog. Her mouth going completly dry as he slipped his shirt off and she got to see the toned muscular body she had felt during their brief hug.


She took another minute to try to focus her attention again on her run and her to do list, but she just couldn't shake their encounter and thoughts of their past.
 
After finishing his run with Kiara and making it back to his place, he still couldn't force the image of his high school sweetheart out of his mind. She was an angel sent down from Heaven to capture his heart, and keep it forever. He couldn't help it. She was perfect in every shape and form imaginable. He had never fallen out of love with the woman of his dreams, but he feared that she had fallen out of love with him. He didn't know what to do or say about the fact, but he knew that he couldn't just come back home and expect things to just return to the way they once were. That obviously wasn't happening any time soon.

Alex didn't want to seem like a complete obsessed stalker-like creep by calling her the same day he saw her, so he tried to let a few days pass at the very least. He wanted to call her five minutes after leaving the park, but he didn't. He went about his daily routines, continued his runs through the park with Kiara, and wrote out several long messages to Kali before deleting them and putting his phone away. He would not do that to her. He could tell that she didn't feel the same way any more. And if she was, she was hiding it quite well.

By the time the third day came since their brief encounter in the park, he had had enough distance and waiting. He needed to talk to her, to hear her voice, to work some sort of plans out with her. He had to see her, he felt like he was going crazy. Bringing up her contact, he glanced at the clock that read noon on a Friday, and hit dial. It rang for about four rings before the clicking of the receiver opening up to his call brought a smile to his face, her sweet voice ringing through the phone a brief moment later.

"Hey Kali, it's Alex. I wanted to see if you were busy tonight?" He asked hopefully.
 
Kali could barely focus the rest of her day. She wasn't sure why but she didn't tell her fiancé about her encounter. She didn't know where it would go anyway so why would she bring it up and upset him for no reason? Her stomach was in knots the following couple of days. On her daily runs she found herself scanning the park for signs of him. By the third day she forced herself to stop thinking about him. She had told herself she had moved on, she was over him. So why couldn't she stop thinking about him?

That's when the phone rang. She stared at the phone for a minute before she finally got the nerve to answer. "Hi Alex. Umm tonight? I guess I can free myself up for the evening. What did you have in mind" she couldn't believe she was agreeing to willingly spend the evening with the one person who held the power to devastate her.
 
It was only a few moments before she replied, but it felt like a lifetime. Was she having doubts? Was she afraid to be near him? Did she hate him for what had done in the past to them? All of these questions were being screamed inside of his head, but he had no voice to speak them to the girl on the phone. But once she replied, his heart beat slowed down and he cleared his voice before responding, a smile consuming his face.

"It's a secret, silly." He joked, laughing softly, recalling all of the times he had used that same line on her in the past. "Just make sure that you bring a bathing suit." He told her through the phone, his smile widening even more. "I guess I'll pick you up around seven-thirty?" He spoke into the phone.
 
Was he serious? A bathing suit?! She laughed, "umm alright. That works. I will tex you the address." She wasn't sure him being at her house would be wise but it was too late. She still wasn't sure how she felt about spending any time with this man. But she figured if he was willing to try she should do the same.
 
He could hear the nervousness seeking into her laughter and reply, making him smile wide. When she told him that she would text him her address, he began to wonder where she currently lived. He hadn't even bothered to ask if she had a boyfriend, a husband, any kind of relations. Did he care? Not really. He just wanted to spend some time with the girl that had been filling his thoughts for the past few years, he could not get her out of his head, it was impossible.

Alex agreed and hung up the phone soon after, smiling as she sent the address through a text message, his fingers deftly plugging the coordinates into his GPS before he began to get ready for the night. Alex took Kiara on a run, cleaned the house up a bit, turned the heater on the pool and jacuzzi on out back and then finished the day by getting a shower and getting dressed.

On his way over to her house, he called to make sure that their reservations were still open and even considered stopping to get flowers, but he didn't want her to feel uncomfortable, or that they were on a date. She probably had this new life that she couldn't wait to tell him about, but against all hope, he wished that she didn't. He was secretly terrified of learning what her life had become, but he wouldn't tell her that. He just had to wait and find out.

Alex pulled up in front of her house and dialed her number. Once she picked up the phone, he smiled and spoke softly through the receiver:

"Look outside."

When he saw the door open, he honked and grinned as she began to walk toward her. He had the same car that he had as a teenager, his baby. He had taken an old Mustang and restored it to perfect condition before getting it painted neon green, his favorite color. It was a beauty, especially now with the top down. When she came toward him, he told her that she could sit her things in the back seat and a devilish smile over took his lips as he realized that the backseat was one of their many spots where they had acted in the moment and had made love at. But those were the days when they were crazy for each other, and caught up in the moment.
 
She didn't know why she had butterflies. God only knew she didn't want to. She didn't want to have conflicting feelings about him.... but that didn't change the facts. Her fiance had plans with buddies for a while so he would never even notice anyway. She figured if Alex was ready to try and be a grown up then she should be too.

She checked herself in the mirror for the 100th time. She had selected a cute summery dress that clung to her curves. She figured it was dressy enough without going overboard. It was a win-win.

She heard her phone buzz and saw the message. As she headed out she stopped and rolled her eyes, grabbing her bikini from the top drawer and shoving it into her purse. Not that she had any intention of putting it on!

She stepped outside and smiled as she set her stuff in the back seat. She ignored the smile on his face because she had thoughts running through her head about things they had done in this very same car. She climbed into the passenger seat and smiled. "Alright, so are you going to tell me where we are going now or keep claiming a surprise?"
 
Back
Top