New Category?

SamScribble

Yeah, still just a guru
Probably self-interest here, but is there perhaps an opening for a new category on Lit: Gentle Erotica?

Put it down to age, but, as a general rule, I don’t find angst, violence, and all that sort of stuff particularly erotic. Well, not erotic at all, actually. I realise that some people do. And that’s fine by me. Whatever gets you through the night. But, for myself, I prefer my passion interspersed with humour. And a dash of erudition makes it even more enjoyable. Blame my first girlfriend if you must (there have been many since), but I have always associated sex with fun and more than a little bit of laughter.

‘Oops! Yes … there. No, not there. There. Oh, fuck, yes. Oops! Now I’ve got cramp. Just ….’ Well, you can imagine the rest.

It’s just a thought. And it might save quite a few ‘hard core’ readers from disappointment. As I say … just a thought.

I think the problem -- not necessarily with your suggestion but with the proposal to increase categories, generally -- is that it makes it more difficult to figure out where to put one's story and it makes it harder for readers to figure out where to go. I would think that a "gentle" erotic story might do OK in the romance or erotic couplings categories. Better use of tags on this website might help link readers and authors who like these sorts of stories.

Well, sure, let's have yet another hetero category--with contest monetary awards per category and all--and leave the site with no bi category, one lesbian category, and one and a half GM categories. Hell yes, let's do that.

Well, sure, let's have yet another hetero category--with contest monetary awards per category and all--and leave the site with no bi category, one lesbian category, and one and a half GM categories. Hell yes, let's do that.

I'm not suggesting that the category should be hetero-only, Pilot. :)

Probably self-interest here, but is there perhaps an opening for a new category on Lit: Gentle Erotica?

Put it down to age, but, as a general rule, I don’t find angst, violence, and all that sort of stuff particularly erotic. Well, not erotic at all, actually.

Which is why I think all that should be left out of submissions here. This is supposed to be a fun site.

Put it down to age, but, as a general rule, I don’t find angst, violence, and all that sort of stuff particularly erotic. Well, not erotic at all, actually. I realise that some people do. And that’s fine by me. Whatever gets you through the night. But, for myself, I prefer my passion interspersed with humour. And a dash of erudition makes it even more enjoyable. Blame my first girlfriend if you must (there have been many since), but I have always associated sex with fun and more than a little bit of laughter.

I have some that I'd characterise as gentle, fun, and non-angsty, but they're also BDSM-ish, so I don't know if they qualify :)

To answer the original question, though, I doubt we're going to see any new categories any time soon. My understanding is that the site overhaul is intended to move away from category-based navigation in favour of something more tag-based, which would give better support to people who want to filter by multiple descriptors.

Speaking as somebody whose stories usually fit into at least three different categories, it can't come too soon.

So, if that's still the long-term plan, adding new categories would be wasted effort.

‘Oops! Yes … there. No, not there. There. Oh, fuck, yes. Oops! Now I’ve got cramp. Just ….’ Well, you can imagine the rest.

It’s just a thought. And it might save quite a few ‘hard core’ readers from disappointment. As I say … just a thought.

Isn't that what Humor & Satire is for?????

I would think that a "gentle" erotic story might do OK in the romance or erotic couplings categories. Better use of tags on this website might help link readers and authors who like these sorts of stories.

It would probably need to be something other than just gentle to go over well in Romance--like it would need to be a romance and leave the reader with that warm-and-fuzzy feeling.

I'm not suggesting that the category should be hetero-only, Pilot. :)

Sorry, Lit. readers, as a whole, don't tolerate GM material anywhere by that category. Not that all of them are bombed, but they have an uphill prejudice struggle from the get go. This is a gay-tolerant site, on the whole, but not gay friendly one--and it gives no level ground to bi at all.

Sorry, Lit. readers, as a whole, don't tolerate GM material anywhere by that category. Not that all of them are bombed, but they have an uphill prejudice struggle from the get go. This is a gay-tolerant site, on the whole, but not gay friendly one--and it gives no level ground to bi at all.

That suggests that perhaps there should be a bi category. What do you think about that?

You could probably say that about several categories on this site.

This is an incest-tolerant site, not incest-friendly.

This is a noncon-tolerant site, not noncon-friendly.

Society as a whole isn't even *-tolerant on the whole. If it were, there would be little reason to even have a site like this.

rj

MY vote is to have a category dedicated strictly to “cheating” as it doesn’t really fit in the Romance category since most stories that involve cheating have, at minimum, some type of vilolence and beatings in them. 🌹not really erotic, but can still have a “happy ending”

That suggests that perhaps there should be a bi category. What do you think about that?

I think there's a long history of having a bi category here, which includes Web site duplicity. So, not much to be gained by going into it.

Basically, doesn't it roughly equate with what is legal and what isn't? Perhaps all stories could be grouped into ethical , as in legal , or nonethical. Some categories are nonethical, eg incest. Interestingly a guy here had his sentence increased on appeal from 5 years to 9 years today for incest. The maximum sentence for incest is 25 years. Non consent is similar. Big sentences. I find it nice not to have to read that. It is disconcerting when stories suddenly evolve into those of prosletising gratuitous control (abuse), for example, without prior indication.

It would help me in choosing what to read.

No. There's nothing illegal about writing fiction on any of these topics.

Basically, doesn't it roughly equate with what is legal and what isn't? Perhaps all stories could be grouped into ethical , as in legal , or nonethical. Some categories are nonethical, eg incest. Interestingly a guy here had his sentence increased on appeal from 5 years to 9 years today for incest. The maximum sentence for incest is 25 years. Non consent is similar. Big sentences. I find it nice not to have to read that. It is disconcerting when stories suddenly evolve into those of prosletising gratuitous control (abuse), for example, without prior indication.

It would help me in choosing what to read.

There's no way to do this because everyone's idea of what's ethical is different. To some people, everything story about sex is unethical. In my view, conduct between consenting adults is, generally speaking, not unethical, even if it is considered taboo in most places, or is even illegal.

If you want to avoid reading stories on subjects you don't like, it's pretty easy to do just by looking at the category, title, description, and tags.

If you want to avoid reading stories on subjects you don't like, it's pretty easy to do just by looking at the category, title, description, and tags.

I guess that works if the title of the story is 'Son Fucks Mom During Lunch Break', and the tags are 'massive tits' and 'super-massive dick'. Many of us know that that is not going to appeal. But what about Johanna Baird's 'B is for Bechamel'?

I guess that works if the title of the story is 'Son Fucks Mom During Lunch Break', and the tags are 'massive tits' and 'super-massive dick'. Many of us know that that is not going to appeal. But what about Johanna Baird's 'B is for Bechamel'?

Well said! Good points. LOL.

I think you have to use whatever info you have available, including tags and description, to figure out if the story has something in it you don't like. That seems like a more sensible approach to me than dividing the story universe into more numerous and more slender categories.

It's not foolproof, but it doesn't have to be. There's nothing especially wrong with reading a story not knowing what's going to be in it. That's the way it used to be done.

What? Being able to take responsibility for yourself on what you read and being able to just back out and move on when you encounter what you don't want to read? Didn't that die out with people born before the 1990s and the advent of the Helicopter Mom?

I've started reading quite a few stories that took turns I didn't like. Just clicked the back button.

I've started reading quite a few stories that took turns I didn't like. Just clicked the back button.

It's so easy isn't it. Always puzzles me why people can't do it. Still, guess my Mom and Dad taught me to look after myself, make my own decisions and take responsibility for my own actions. Some people seem to find that difficult.

Back