Sing, Sing a Song... Chain story

KarennaC

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Posts
988
Well, okay, don't sing. I'm sure not going to; my voice is horrendous.

Have you ever heard a song that makes you think, "I really wish I could read that as a story"? Or a song that inspires you with a new idea? Then this is the chain for you!

Choose a song, either one that has a plot of its own or one that provides plot inspiration for you, and write the story. You can do as many or as few as you like. This might be a good one for the Survivorites who are looking for chains to fill that category; just remember only one chapter per chain counts for Survivor.

The framework:
- Songs should be popular, something you might hear on the radio, but can be "oldies".
- The submission title should be "Lustful Lyrics Ch. __", and the description should be the song title. *Bolding reflects change in chain title*
- A line or phrase from the song (I'll double check U.S. copyright laws, but I believe you can quote a line or phrase, with proper credit given, without it being a problem) and the name of the performer should be included as an introduction to your chapter.

Other than that, pretty much anything goes.

I'd like to have the first chapter submitted by March 15, so about a month to get things organized here. If you'd like to join in, just post with the title of the song you want to write about, and I'll figure out a schedule from there. This chain will be open-ended, so anyone can join at any time, but I'd like to have a commitment from at least four to six people to start with.

Scheduley Stuff:
March 15- Boxlicker Enery the Eighth
March 22- KarennaC Good Morning Beautiful
March 29- PrincessErin Lips of an Angel
April 5- bb_peaks Janie's Got a Gun
April 12-
April 19-
April 26-
May 12- TE999 From a Window
May 10-
 
Last edited:
- A line or phrase from the song (I'll double check U.S. copyright laws, but I believe you can quote a line or phrase, with proper credit given, without it being a problem) and the name of the performer should be included as an introduction to your chapter.

Hi Karenna. I just wanted to give you some info about the lyrics. When I first came to the AH last year, I asked that question of what was allowed and was told that I should seek the answer from Laurel. I've kept the PM she sent back, and wanted to fill you in on what she said. I know there were various opinions on what would pass and what wouldn't, but this is what Laurel said:



"Re: question about including song lyrics in story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there!

With lyrics and poetry, we generally allow no more than 50% - and we ask that you give the author credit for the lyrics within the story. With articles and longer works, we generally ask that you quote no more than 10% - and again, please credit the original author."


Please fill us in if the guidelines are different than at this time last year. Good luck with the chain. :rose:Kim
 
Lit actually allows up to 50% of the song in a quote, although that's far more than is usually considered fair use.

You can put a lot more of the song in there if you use the imagery conjuring up the story in your head, and tie it to a few key words in the song. That's what I tried to do with both of my versions of Home by the Sea.

Genesis
Creeping up the blind side, shinning up the wall

Darkniciad
No word or signal passed between them, but they rose to a crouch simultaneously to creep amidst the swirling fog toward their objective. They moved directly toward the corner of the manor, knowing that the blind spot created by a lack of windows with a direct view of their approach would help mask their movement toward the structure, should anyone glance outside.

Once again, they crouched in silence upon reaching the stone wall of the building, waiting for sounds of alarm or movement.

The leaner of the two knelt to remove a pair of dark boots, before climbing the wall.

LesLumens
Morgan left his place of concealment, creeping up on the blind side of the wall surrounding the mansion. The gentle slope behind the wall served to conceal everything on the seaward side. A quick peek through the gate revealed darkened windows and no sign of life, as usual.

With no alarm and no dogs, he expected this would be easy. The house was huge, and he'd observed only one resident who never appeared to leave. A lone woman wasn't much of a threat, even if she did discover him in the house when he wasn't ready.

The light posts on either side of the gate provided a ridiculously easy means of gaining the top of the wall. With strength and practiced skill, Morgan shinnied up the pole, grasping the top of the wall and carefully eyeing the house one final time.
 
Kim and Dark, thanks for clarifying that :)

Erin, there's room for anyone who wants to join; I'm not putting a limit on the number of participants, because there are an almost infinite number of songs out there. So if you'd like to join, that would be awesome :)
 
I'd love to join. :D I'm still trying to fill in a few more of my usual categories before stepping out of my normal genre for Survivor but if there's an open chain Sign me up!
 
I've done around 10 or so songs. Probably more. haha I do my best to keep it at one verse and a possible chorus. You can check my submissions for examples.
DG
 
I've written a story based on "Take Me out to the Ball Game" and others based on works by Barry White and Elvis. :) This sounds like fun, but I will have to consult my muse and see what suggestion she has for me. Most likely it will be something from the Fifties, maybe based on an old Elvis song from then. :)

If I use the name of a song for the title of the story, would that be any kind of a copyright violation? :confused:
 
I wrote a story woven around the old Glenn Miller 'swing' hit, 'Moonlight Serenade' titled 'Kelly's Moonlight Serenade'. I used about 1/2 the lyrics and gave credit to the composers and the copyright at the end.

I would be interested in participating. I enjoy chain stories. :D
 
DG Hear, thanks, I'll check them out.

Boxlicker, titles can't be copyrighted, so using the title of the song as the title of the story would not violate anything. Plus in the first post, I said submissions should be titled as "Songs Ch. ___: "Song Title". :)

Okay, so far we've got:
KarennaC
PrincessErin "Lips of an Angel" (I love that song!)
bb_peaks
BoxLicker
TE999

Cool, looks like it's a go at the moment! I'll wait a few days and see who else signs up and what songs we come up with, then I'll update the first post with the info and we can figure out submission dates. Thanks, you guys :)
 
Just a little tip, but having the title be Songs Ch. _: "song title" means that some people may not be able to fit their entire title in. You might want to have the title be Songs Ch. _ and use the actual title as the description. I forget how many characters are allowed in story titles. As long as people have short titles, it wouldn't be an issue, but if anyone has a long one, it might not fit.

Just throwing that out there for consideration.
 
I can't commit to the initial start of the chain, but I've had the basic framework of a creepy story set to "Mama" kicking around in my head -- almost since I finished the first version of Home -- so I may end up participating once the chain gets to the open-ended point :)

Crim has a good point, and a good suggestion for alternate titling.
 
Crim, that is a good suggestion; I'd forgotten about the character limit for titles.

Dark, awesome! :)
 
Well Like A Virgin keeps popping in my head at the moment. Lemme sit on it for a couple of days and see if something else appeals to me.
 
No hurry. I still haven't chosen a song myself. I thought of this chain because I heard a song on the radio that screamed at me to write its story, but I forgot to make a note of it and now I can't recall which song it was :(

I've been thinking about Meat Loaf's "I'm Gonna Love Her for Both of Us", but I don't think that's ever gotten radio play, so I wouldn't be able to use it without breaking my own rule. "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" is possible, but have to raise the age mentioned in the song. ("Ain't no doubt about it, we were doubly blessed/'Cause we were barely seventeen and we were barely dressed.")

I'll just have to listen to my daughter's favorite radio station for a few days and see if I can find the song that sparked this whole idea in the first place.
 
Hmmm... I'm interested but not quite sure what song to pick. We'll have to see...
 
I may join in at a later date. Sting supplies quite a few story ides through his songs. Desert Rose and Love Is Stronger Than Justice both practically beg for almost novella-size translations. ;)

The latter, especially. Hmn . . . . :devil:
 
I'm in for this one and since no one has claimed it yet, I'll be doing "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne.
 
Ooh, Willie, awesome! Let me know when you're sure, please.

Lee, you got it!

So we currently have:
KarennaC- still trying to choose a song, darn it
PrincessErin "Lips of an Angel"
bb_peaks
BoxLicker
TE999
al_Ussa
Lee Chambers- "Stacy's Mom"

Possibles:
Darkniciad
slyc_willie

Give me two more days to pick a song and see who else wants in at the start, and then we'll start scheduling. If anyone has a date that they especially want, please let me know. I'm still thinking March 15 for the first submission, then one a week after that, but that's flexible if people need more time to write their stories.

Crim, thanks for adding this chain to the Survivor Chain Stories list :)
 
I know what song I'm gonna pick! "Good Morning Beautiful" by... dammit, I can't remember who it's by, but at least I know the title and the lyrics. It's a country song.
 
I already started Sting's, "Don't Stand So Close To Me"... maybe this will force me to finish it? :eek: I've also got stories for "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia", "Ode to Billy Joe" and "Coward of the County" outlined somewhere...
 
How does this work as a chain? Is it a common story with shared characters? Or is the chain provided by the song theme?

Never quite sure how these things work :)

I might be interested, but my music tastes run to the fairly antisocial :D

I can't commit to the initial start of the chain, but I've had the basic framework of a creepy story set to "Mama" kicking around in my head -- almost since I finished the first version of Home -- so I may end up participating once the chain gets to the open-ended point :)

Ooh, I like that one.

"The Lamia" from "Lamb Lies down..." is another Genesis track that could be fun to do.
 
Back
Top