Is there a discrete symbol indicating someone is a submissive?

Just since the book, as far as I know-- just an author's whim. Nothing more.

'O' isn't a Bible or anything, it's just a meagrely decent novel-- albeit with a ground-breaking theme.


Oh, sure, I get that. I wonder what inspired the author to use that symbol? It does have many meanings in different cultures, and there are many different ways to depict the symbol.

And I think "meagrely decent" is an excellent way to describe that book! I thought it was ok, but read it a long time ago. Maybe I'll give it another look sometime.

Hmmm ... that gives me an idea of another thread I wanted to start!
 
A meagerly written novel received as water in the desert, the resonance of that receptions grants it an almost biblical status even still...

I don't know whether to be in awe or annoyed, but it's a fascinating social phenomena that the internet has not entirely quashed.

Look at twilight.

How long before that garbage is accepted as a legitimate part of "vampire mythology?" All because there wasn't quite enough bodice bleeder romances out there to suit the unknown demand, or mainstream enough to titillate those who did not yet know that fangs got them hot.
Absolutely. But Twilight probably will never be accepted as vampire canon-- only as Twilight canon. You forget how accessible the common discussion is. Any girl-child who googles "Vampire" will come across Angel and Spike fan fic-- and learn what a REAL vamp can do. :p
 
Absolutely. But Twilight probably will never be accepted as vampire canon-- only as Twilight canon. You forget how accessible the common discussion is. Any girl-child who googles "Vampire" will come across Angel and Spike fan fic-- and learn what a REAL vamp can do. :p

Oh god, Stella, let that be true! Angel and Spike ... sigh.
 
Angel, ick. Spike-- problem child that he is-- Role model. :D

Ok, how about Angel in Buffy season 1-2 and Angel season 1, and Spike any time at all? (except in flashbacks when he wears that horrendous wig. When they all wear the horrendous wigs.)

How about this: Darla or Dru?
 
I'm a little more partial to Bram Stoker and White Wolf, Malkovich's Count Orlock in Shadow of the vampire... Anne Rice is ok I guess, Buffy not so much.

If someone had told me in advance that Firefly was directed by the same guy as Buffy... I might have missed out on some awesome sci-fi.


Bram Stoker and White Wolf, sure. And Malkovich in Shadow of the vampire was BRILLIANT! I liked Anne Rice's vampires a lot when I was younger, until I just wanted to stake them all and put them out of their misery. I like her witches better.

But comparing Buffy is ... different. It's not really about vampires. I just love Joss Whedon's humor.

Firefly is one of my favorites of all time. I'm writing a screenplay (about vampires, incidentally) and whenever I get stuck, I imagine I'm writing an episode of Firefly. WWJD? What would Joss do???
 
Ok, how about Angel in Buffy season 1-2 and Angel season 1, and Spike any time at all? (except in flashbacks when he wears that horrendous wig.When they all wear the horrendous wigs.)
You don't understaaand... I am totally partial to hyperactive little punksters, and not at all partial to brooding overbearing hunks.
How about this: Darla or Dru?
oh, yessss.

Wait-- you mean I gotta choose?

oh, noooo...
 
back to the topic of symbols, there are a great many symbols (and paraphernalia to go with them) in the Vampire larping scene... there may or may not be one for "thrall."[/QUOTE]

Thrall. I like that.
 
You don't understaaand... I am totally partial to hyperactive little punksters, and not at all partial to brooding overbearing hunks.
oh, yessss.

Wait-- you mean I gotta choose?

oh, noooo...

Okaaaaay, I get it! I was just thinking that Angel was a lot hotter before he got all ... square. And whiny.

And what am I thinking? We're talking about Darla and Dru. Of course you don't have to choose. :)
 
I like how this thread has gone in the direction of Firefly and V:tM. :D
 
Okaaaaay, I get it! I was just thinking that Angel was a lot hotter before he got all ... square. And whiny.

And what am I thinking? We're talking about Darla and Dru. Of course you don't have to choose. :)
I want them to fight over me. And then, kiss and make up-- all over me. :cool:
 
Yeah, me too. And I'm not even into girls! :)
You say that now, but we'll lead you down that garden path yet .

Hehe

Stag Of Oberon;"Anne Rice is ok I guess, Buffy not so much."
Really? Anne Rice is okay -- but Joss's vamps knock hers right out of the ballpark.

Of course I'm talking about the fan fiction, which has built on Joss's notions. Rice said "No Fanfic!" and people don't-- which means they don't talk much about her-- which leaves her presence-less on the interwebs.

I'm attempting what, the third hijack?
 
Stelllaaa! You're going to get us in trouble!!!

Back to the topic at hand ... I like the idea very much of wearing some sort of ... identification. Or some sign that I belonged to my Master. I actually got a tattoo ... which I later had to change, so I don't know if I recommend that. But that's maybe a story for another time. I should have told him to just get me a bracelet.

I also like the idea of bells. Here kitty! I read a book when I was young and impressionable called "Slave Girl of Tor" or something. I think there were bells. Very appealing ...
 
"Tor" is a book publisher... would that be "Slave girls of Gor" perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Norman
The most overtly smexy book of the whole series.

SO many women started talking about themselves and their partners in the third person... "This slave begs Master to let her suck his dick." After awhile, you start feeling embarrassed for them.
 
Last edited:
Hunh. It is Gor! I've been misremembering all this time!

I don't even remember much about it. My boyfriend in high school gave it to me to read. I just remember I really liked it. And I as all "pick me! pick me!"
 
you remember when that was new?

do you ever worry about breaking apart into some new breed of cricket?
I remember when it was new to me, some time in the middle nineties when I first came across people who really did protocol WOW!!!:eek:


But Slave Girl of Gor was published in 1977... so, yeah, I was there.
 
I read up to 20-something of Gor, before I just couldn't stand it any more as the obsessive prose just got more and more ... obsessive. And interminably repetitive.

I'd never come across 'Houseplants' though, until following your link Bramblethorn, so thanks for that. I just felt compelled to read it out loud to slave (who, I now discover, has never read any of them, so it didn't have the impact I expected).

Yes I know... up to number 20-something! I am still not ashamed. :)

Oh... and on topic, I'm a lazy old sod and haven't read down to the OP, but has the rune 'Fehu' been mentioned? Once upon a time I was going to get an Ansuz rune tattoo and slave a fehu (which can stand for goods or chattel amongst other things).
 
Last edited:
I don't know if I would want to wear a symbol... Slightly skewing this topic, but do you find that some people just seem to know? That always kind of freaks me out.
 
I don't know if I would want to wear a symbol... Slightly skewing this topic, but do you find that some people just seem to know? That always kind of freaks me out.

Yes, and it usually results in creepy, unwanted encounters in my experience. Guys who think they're entitled to my time because I smell like a sub? Fuck right off.
 
Yes, and it usually results in creepy, unwanted encounters in my experience. Guys who think they're entitled to my time because I smell like a sub? Fuck right off.

Ah yes. That weird idea that a sub cannot have standards or be selective as to who she/he serves.
 
Back
Top