Annisthyrienne: A Healer's Tale

"All right, I'll do it with you." Thyri said at last, leaning forward slightly with a blush of pink in her cheeks. "But I might not be good at it. I've never kissed anyone before."

Tetyanna's heart leapt and she wasted no time, leaning down to press her lips against the soft mouth of the Elvish girl. She moaned in pleasure as her lips molded to those of the young elf, as if tasting the heady flavor of a rare delicacy. Her hand glided up to hold Thyri's cheek as they kissed, her other hand resting on the girl's waist.

For her part, Thyri was nervous about doing it right, and fixated on the mechanics of it. Should she open her lips? Should she use suction? Was it supposed to make her body tingle like that? Instinctively she tried to use her Empathy sense to gain feedback of how it was making Tetyanna feel. When she opened herself to the feelings, she felt a peculiar flutter in her stomach, and a pleasant warmth between her thighs. She couldn't tell for sure if the feelings and sensations were hers or those of her companion.

Tetyanna's lips parted slightly, and she licked at the elf girl's lips tentatively, hoping for a response. Thyri felt like it tickled, and her first impulse was to giggle and pull away, but she resisted, and instead parted her own lips slightly in response. Tetyanna took it as a cue and slipped her tongue between Thyri's lips, touching and teasing the elf's shy tongue. Now Thyri did pull away, unused to the strange but arousing feeling. She smiled shyly as she blushed, lowering her gaze in apology.

"That was nice. Did you like it too?" she asked hesitantly.
 
"Too much!" Tetyanna gushed as she let out the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding since the kiss ended. "I've been wanting to do that since I've met you, and I don't exactly know why. You are just so....so magic! I feel warm all over, and sort of drunk. Does that make sense?"

Thyri smiled as her violet eyes rose to meet Tetyanna's amber gaze. "Yeah, I think so. I mean, I kinda feel funny too."

Tetyanna looked into the elf's eyes, suddenly realizing how young and naive her companion was. She realized with the innocent reaction from the girl that she had really never done that before. It wasn't just something she had said. Tetyanna, blurted, "Maybe I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't.... I don't know. I'm so confused."

Thyri sensed the sudden regret, the emotion rolling over her like a wave from the still open empathic contact. She looked down, unsure, feeling like she should be ashamed of something. She murmured, "Well, maybe it will all make more sense later."

Tetyanna turned away, gathering the clothes she had washed and stuffing them in the saddlebags of her horse. "Yeah, maybe." she said over her shoulder. She was feeling very guilty. But what was so wrong about a simple kiss, she thought. Unbidden, the voice inside her reminded her of the way the kiss made her feel, and of the other urges she had felt.

Thyri sighed, gathering the reins of her own horse, preparing to mount up. Moments later the two were continuing down the trail, riding side by side.
 
Chapter Four

Chapter Four

They rode through the morning quietly, each lost in their own thoughts about what had happened between them. Tetyanna berated herself internally over taking advantage of the young and inexperienced little half-elf. Each self recrimination stoked her guilt, and she wondered if there would be a next time, and if so, what would she do.

For Thyri's part, her empathy made it hard for her to know how she felt about it. She had felt the guilt and shame that Tetyanna was heaping upon herself through the empathic link so strongly back when they were in physical contact with each other that the feelings had lingered. As they rode separately, the link had faded, but the feelings themselves left her doubtful and uncertain. Had she done something wrong to make Tetyanna ashamed of her? Was Tet's silence a sign that the little healer had offended her? Maybe she hadn't done it right? Maybe she was so bad at kissing that the other woman didn't want to do it anymore, Thyri thought.

And that thought made her sad. She felt a sense of loss, and didn't really even know what it was that she had lost. She found herself wishing she had the chance to do it over again. Maybe if she could, she'd somehow instinctively know how to kiss the right way, and Tetyanna would like her for it. As the morning wore on and both women piled their thoughts of doubt and confusion up on each other, their mood sunk lower and lower.

It wasn't until they topped a small ridge and the sound of gravelly voices came faintly to Thyri's sensitive ears that she finally found the distraction to pull her out of the funk. Tetyanna's keen hearing picked up the sounds a moment after Thyri reigned in her pony and stopped. Now they could make out the rhythmic, guttural chant of some type of cadence, and the sounds of many tromping feet. The sounds blended together so that they could not make out the language that was being spoken, but it sounded guttural and harsh.

Thyri spoke softly to her companion. "Tetyanna, maybe we should sneak up on them and find out who they are." The wolf woman's curiosity was also piqued, so she nodded her agreement. Thyri dismounted and led her palfrey into the brush where it would be better concealed. She slipped a long brass tube shaped object from her pack after tying the horse's reins to a bush. Tetyanna followed the little elf's lead, then they both crept up to the top of the ridge as stealthily as they could. Fortunately, both, for different reasons, had experience in moving silently through the woodlands. Now elf and shapechanger crept closer to a vantage point where they could observe the authors of those chants.

When their line of sight topped the ridge, they scooted forward on their bellies until Thyri at last stopped and held her spyglass up to her eye. Through the lens she spotted a party of grey-green skinned creatures marching in a troop formation. They were well armed and marched two abreast. Tetyanna whispered, "Orcs. They may be the ones we are looking for. Do you see any signs of the child with them?"

Thyri swept the column with her glass. About three fourths of the way back she saw four Orcs bearing a litter between them. It appeared to be holding a figure, covered under a bloodstained blanket. Thyri made a sign to Tetyanna to scoot back down away from the top of the ridge, and when they were hidden from view, she whispered, "Someone is being carried on a stretcher. I saw blood on the blanket covering them."

Tetyanna answered, "Orcs wouldn't bother with anyone not strong enough to make it on their own unless they thought whoever it was could be of some value to them. This may be the child we're looking for. I think we should follow them until we can find out for sure."

"Tet, if you will keep watching them, I'll go back for the horses. I don't want to leave them too long unattended, and I don't want them too far away from us in case we need to ride away quickly."

Tetyanna replied, "Maybe we should just leave the horses. They may make too much noise and alert the Orcs to our presence."

Thyri thought about it a moment, then shook her head as an idea came to her. When she was little, she would play in the woods, and had met an old human hermit. He claimed to be a Ranger and had taught her the ways of those mysterious souls. Now some of what he taught her came back to her. "I know of an old Ranger's trick that is said to muffle the sounds of the horses. I'll tie some small leather pouches over their hooves and put their feedbags on their muzzles. That should keep them quiet."

Tetyanna smiled at the little elf's ingenuity. "Okay, but we are going to have to keep our distance. I don't want to get noticed by those brutes!"

"I agree." Thyri said. "Maybe we can drop back after I bring up the horses and just track them until they camp."

Tet nodded. "I like that idea better. Let's do that."

Then Thyri thought of something else. "But if we do that, we might miss the chance to see who or what is under those blankets."

Tetyanna thought for a moment. "Hmmm, it's a tough choice. I'm still not sure I feel fully recovered from that snakebite. Maybe you should decide."

Thyri's mind was already working. The column of Orcs were getting farther away as they debated about what to do. Already the sound of their marching had become muted with distance. She handed Tetyanna her spyglass and said, "We'll need the horses no matter what we do. You watch them with this. I'll get our mounts and then we'll decide."

Tetyanna looked at the strange brass tube. She'd never seen such a thing before, and wondered aloud, "What is this thing?"

Thyri explained, "You can look through it and see things better. Turn the second part of the tube to make the image clear and sharp. Tetyanna put it to her eye and looked through the lens.

"They seem so far away now!"

"No, look through the other end." Thyri said with a grin.

Tetyanna did as she was bid and gasped before she ducked down, "Oh gods! They are so close! They'll see us for sure!"

Thyri giggled quietly, and answered, "They aren't any closer or farther. They just look like it through that tube." She clasped Tetyanna's shoulder before leaving to get the horses. "It's the effect of some specially shaped pieces of glass that makes it work."

She left her friend there, wondering about the magic of the device, and went back for their horses. She rummaged in her pack for the little leather pouches she normally used to store various herbs in for her healing mixtures and medicines, and tied them around the horses hooves. Then, slipping the feedbags on over their heads, she cautiously led them back to where she and the wolf woman had been watching the Orc column pass by.
 
She stopped a short distance below the ridge, tying her rope to the lead horse's bridle and tying the other horse to the first. Then she let out the rope as a long lead and moved back up to where she found Tetyanna looking through the spyglass, reaching out in front of it to try to grab at the images she saw within it. The little elf suppressed a giggle and joined her friend. She saw that the Orcs had passed out of view around a bend in the path in the valley below.

Tetyanna handed back the spyglass and as Thyri stowed it back in her pack, she said, "I just don't like Orcs. I don't like them at all."

The little healer replied, "Judging from the blood on that blanket, I don't like them very much either if that's how they treat people."

Tetyanna added, "And they smell! This band is up to something, I can just feel it."

Thyri turned back to her with a start. "You can smell them from here? That's remarkable!"

Tetyanna answered, a little surprised at the elf's intensity. "Well....yeah. Can't you?"

Thyri shook her head. "No, Tet. Your senses are very keen, much keener than mine. I'd say much keener than anyone I know of." She eyes her companion sharply, the ideas already coming to her mind.

They moved out stealthily, paralleling the path taken by the Orcs column, but staying up on the ridge and back far enough to remain unnoticed. Occasionally they would get close enough to catch a glimpse of their quarry, making sure they were still on the right trail. They stayed far enough back to allow quiet conversation as long as they kept their voices low. After some time following the Orcs in silence, Tetyanna asked, "Thyri, if I should ever 'change' would you hate me or be afraid of me? I would never do it if it would put you in fear of me. That is why I haven't done it thus far."

Thyri let a long moment go by as she considered the question carefully before she answered. It was a very Elvish trait that stemmed from being such a long lived race. They were seldom ever impetuous or acting in haste. Finally she answered, "Well, I was a little scared that first night, I admit. But you didn't hurt me, so I think you must be in control even when you are in that form. I don't think you would ever hurt me. I trust you. Actually, I think it's rather amazing!"

Tetyanna let go of a breath she didn't realize she'd been holding in anticipation of the little elf's answer. "Thank you. I would just die if I were ever to harm anyone I loved." She realized what she'd just let slip out and tried to cover it quickly. "I, uh, did I just say 'loved'? Sorry, that isn't what I meant. I mean, not that I don't....I just...uh..."

Thyri's eyes widened as she realized what Tetyanna had just said, and she smiled as the happy feeling blossomed in her. The morning's doubts had been dispelled with one slip of the tongue. Tetyanna saw that knowing smile and turned away, trying to hide her feelings, but the mischievous little elf would not let her off so easily. "You said it; you can't take it back now. You love me."

Tetyanna blushed, her copper colored skin turning darker with the flush of emotion. She protested, "Stop it! I'm blushing, damn it! I-I don't know what to say."

Thyri smirked, amused at her companion's discomfort over such a thing, but in truth she was giddy inside with happiness and relief. At least she hadn't been so bad at kissing that it had changed Tet's feelings. She teased a little more, "I think you've said quite enough already. I'm not going to let you forget it either, Missy!" She jostled the other woman's shoulder a little in jest.

Tetyanna grinned in spite of herself. "No, I expect you won't." She chuckled. They continued on for another few moments before she grew serious, her feelings coming back to her despite the moment of levity. Her eyes moistened with a tear. "You know, you are the firs tone to not run away when you found out what I am. That...." She choked on her words. "That is very special to me!" she finally managed.

Thyri was enjoying the wolf woman's discomfort a little too much perhaps, but she was touched by the heartfelt words, and grew serious. "Hey, it's alright, Tetyanna. I'm not going anywhere. We're friends, remember? We need to look out for each other."

Tetyanna looked sharply at the little half-elf by her side, noting the words she had chosen to use. A pang of disappointment rose in her, but she quashed it quickly. "Friends? Okay." She smiled a little half smile, covering her feelings, and walked on.

Thyri didn't need her empathic sense to notice the change. It was there again, that covering up or suppression that she sensed. Uncomfortable with it, she added to her earlier statement, trying to smooth over whatever effect her blunder had made. "We are alike and we belong together."

Tetyanna sensed it for what it was, a conciliatory attempt. She went along, saying, "Yeah, I feel very close to you, Thyri." Maybe that's all it could be, she wondered silently. Maybe friendship would have to be enough. But only time would tell for sure. perhaps she was just moving too fast. Maybe the elf needed some time to know if she felt anything in return, the wolf woman thought to herself.
 
They had been following the Orc column through the forest for about two hours. The terrain had gradually become more rough, steeper, and rockier. At one point, they had managed a chance to spot what was on the litter that was born by the Orcs. It appeared to be the body of an elven woman, though Thyri could not tell if it was moving at all. They made their way up to a point where they could see the column once more as it made it's way towards a large opening in a steep hillside.

"Oh, no! Don't go underground! Please!" Thyri moaned. But the column of Orcs marched right into the cavern mouth and disappeared from sight. For a few moments more, their voices could still be heard echoing off the cavern walls, but soon it faded as well.

"What are we going to do now?" Tetyanna sighed in disappointment.

Thyri thought a moment before answering, letting her thoughts be spoken aloud. "Maybe we should leave the horses and try to follow them. But if we follow them in there right now, they will have the advantage. On the other hand, if there are many twists and turns within that cavern, we could lose them, and even get lost in there ourselves. and if we went in there, we'd need light to find our way. They might see that and ambush us. I just don't know, Tet. I'm so tired. I didn't sleep very much last night from keeping watch over you when you were sick. It's hard to think straight. I'm not sure what we should do now."

Tetyanna recognized the signs of fatigue in her companion, and nodded. "I think you are right. We should set up camp somewhere nearby, but not too close. I'll keep watch over you this time."

Thyri looked at her thoughtfully, considering her suggestion. Finally she nodded agreement and they led the horses a short distance away from the entrance to the cavern, finding a spot that would be out of sight, but close enough that they could hear the orcs if they left again. They set up camp and hobbled their horses so they could not wander off. Tetyanna suggested that they not build a fire in case the smoke could be detected on the air.

"Good idea. cold trail rations aren't my favorite, but they'll do better than being discovered by those Orcs." Thyri observed. She got her hammock out of her pack and climbed a short distance up into the tree to string it between two branches about ten feet off the ground. It was far enough up that most beings would not think to look for her there, and she figured that after she was done using it for sleeping, they could stash their packs in it to keep their supplies safe from foraging animals.

Tetyanna asked, "Thyri, are you going to be okay up there?" Thyri explained her reasoning for putting the hammock so high off the ground, and Tetyanna nodded. "Don't worry. I'll kill every one of them if they try to harm one hair on your lovely head!" she declared with a smile.

"My brave Protector." Thyri quipped with a grin, her odd elvish accent making the words sound funny when she said them. Tetyanna barked out a laugh, then covered her mouth. She whispered, "Sorry! I didn't mean to be that loud."

The two women ate in companionable silence, refreshing themselves after the days' long trek. It was little comfort, but under the circumstances, it seemed very welcome. After Finishing her meal, Thyri gave her friend a brief hug before turning to climb into her hammock. Tetyanna returned the hug and moved to take a place in a tree for her watch. Thyri turned back with a thought. "Hmmm, I was wondering..."

Tetyanna stopped and turned back. "Yeah?"

"Tet, when you are in your, uh, other self, could you track those Orcs by scent alone?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess so. I can smell those stinky bastards from miles away!" She giggled. "Why do you ask?"

Thyri snorted a giggle as well, amused by Tetyanna's candor. She continued, "Well, i can see in darkness pretty well, and if you can smell their trail, maybe we could find them again without risking any light that might lead to an ambush."

Tetyanna scowled doubtfully. The plan could work, it wasn't that which left her worried. "Maybe." she replied. "But I don't want you in harm's way though. I fear for your safety. You and Q are all I have."

Thyri continued, undaunted. "Oh, I know. But I was just thinking about it. I can't track them without light to see their signs, but if you could smell them, and I could follow you in the darkness, we should be all right."

Tetyanna frowned doubtfully, remembering the sight of that still Elven form under the blanket. She didn't want to imagine her new friend in that position. "I don't know....."

Thyri added, "They won't even have to know we followed them."

Tetyanna didn't want to oppose her exuberant little companion, but she wasn't convinced. "Well....let me think about it. You sleep!"

Thyri sensed that it was a partial victory, and she decided to let it go at that. "Okay, we can talk about it more in the morning."

Tetyanna nodded, satisfied that she'd put off the dangerous notion, at least for now. "Good night, Thyri." she said as she climbed into place and the little healer climbed into her hammock to settle in for the night.

But Thyri's voice drifted up to her a moment later, soft and wistful. "But Tetyanna, if we can rescue that child...... I just really don't want the elves and men to keep on fighting if we can make a difference."

From her watch point in the tree, Tetyanna sighed. Her growing feelings for this little elvish woman were going to be hard to control if the healer's idealism would put her in danger. The wolf woman let that thought stew in her mind well into the night. Little could she know just how right she would be.
 
Tetyanna yawned, stretching silently to keep herself alert as she watched over her little companion. She sniffed the air, but there was nothing to be scented but the normal night smells of the forest. The sounds of the night lent their symphony to her keen ears. But there was one sound out of place; a slight moan from the half-elf as she squirmed in her sleep in the hammock slung from the tree a couple yards below where Tetyanna had climbed to keep her watch.

She must be dreaming, Tetyanna thought. She began to descend the tree to see if the little half-elf was all right, when she suddenly heard a gasp, followed by a muffled yelp, then a thump as a body hit the ground. From the ground below, a moaning came to Tetyanna's ears, as well as a stream of Elvish that could only be fluent swearing. The shape-changer woman reached ground level and rushed to the side of her new friend. She found the young elf woman sitting on the ground, legs sprawled wide, leaning to one side as she rubbed her butt with her other hand.

Tetyanna knelt beside the little elf, gingerly checking to see if she was hurt. "Are you okay, Thyri?" Without warning, she found herself wrapped tightly in the elf's arms. And after a moment, she realized her companion was sniffling and trembling, as if she were crying. The wolf woman's voice was soothing as she whispered, "Hush, it's okay. Everything is okay."

Tetyanna cradled her young friend in her arms, continuing to soother her with soft words. "Shhh, it's okay. Are you hurt? Did you break anything? Would you like me to check?"

Thyri chuckled ruefully, "Just my pride, and the record for the world's clumsiest elf girl." Tetyanna grinned, relieved to hear her companion making jokes. It mean she was alright, if perhaps a little bruised.

"What were you dreaming about anyway?" Tetyanna asked.

Thyri took a moment to recall her dream, then quietly explained, "I dreamed you were running through a misty forest. I couldn't tell whether you were running from something or towards something, but you seemed desperate. Then I noticed that there was a large black wolf running along in the forest, tracking along your path like it was stalking you. But I could only catch a few glimpses of it through the mist. I tried to shout to warn you, but all of a sudden you were nowhere to be found. I felt so alone and lost!"

"I see. Well don't worry, I'm here, and I won't leave you." Tetyanna hugged the elf girl close, offering what comfort she could.

"And then I managed to fall out of my hammock right on my butt. It still hurts." Thyri grumbled, embarrassed.

Tet suppressed a chuckle. "Would you like me to check to see if you broke anything back there?" Thyri 's response was an indignant glare, prompting Tetyanna to laugh. "Well, there's nothing here but you, me, and the night. Now just lay your head down on my lap and get some sleep. I'll watch out for you, and you can't hardly fall out of my lap if you're already on the ground."

Thyri sighed and laid her head on Tetyanna's lap and began to calm down. Soon her breathing was slow and regular, and she was asleep. Tetyanna stroked the girl's hair idly, soothing the elf, and bringing a faint smile to her lips. The wolf woman held her friend throughout the rest of the night.
 
As the early morning's light broke through the trees, Tetyanna leaned over to place a kiss on the young half-elf's forehead, then eased the sleeping girl's head out of her lap. She rose, letting Thyri sleep, and rummaged in the packs for the makings of a cold breakfast. She didn't want to build a fire and risk that there were orcs near enough to smell the smoke.

Aroused by the slight rustling and the scent of the food, Thyri sat up and smiled, her hair mussed up from sleep in a way that Tetyanna found particularly alluring combined with the bright smile on the girl's lips.

"Call me a clumsy elf, but never call me late to breakfast." the half-elf quipped. Tetyanna returned the smile and replied, "Sorry, cold food I'm afraid. I hope it's okay."

"Oh, it's fine. I'm so hungry right now I could eat the wrapping it comes in."

Tetyanna watched the hungry teen healer as she sat beside her. "How are you feeling this morning" she asked.

Thyri paused to take stock, then replied, "I'll be all right as long as I don't have to ride on the horse. My butt is sore from my one point landing last night."

Tetyanna chuckled. "I see." Then with a half grin she added, "I'll rub it for you if you want."

Thyri shot her a glance, unsure if her companion was teasing or serious. She chose to make light of the comment, answering, "Mmmm, a butt massage? That might be nice."

Tetyanna looked at her with an almost hungry look. "Yeah, that's just what I was thinking." She handed the half elf a piece of dried meat. "Here you go, eat up. We may not break again for along time."

Thyri took the offered food quietly, dropping her gaze as she murmured, "Thank you, Tet. For the food and for last night."

"For last night?"

"Yeah, you know, for making me feel safe."

Tetyanna looked seriously at the young woman at her side. "No, that was nothing. I was more than happy to." She stood and walked by behind Thyri and rubbed her butt playfully. "You've gotta take better care of this. I don't want it all bruised up." She gave her a wink.

Thyri blushed bright pink, even to the tips of her delicately pointed ears. To cover her embarrassment, she remarked, "Mmm, yummy trail rations. When this is done, I think Q owes us both a feast."

Tet nodded. "Yeah, I wonder if we'll ever see him again."

"Why? Are you afraid you can't find your way back to his cabin? Don't worry little lost sheep, I'll lead you home safely again." Thyri teased with a wink.

Tetyanna grinned. "Yeah, funny girl! I'll bet you will. Tease!" She thought a moment before continuing. "It's just that sometimes he's there, and then he can be gone for long periods of months. I want a place of my own eventually. Q said that maybe someday I could have his cabin."

Thyri listened and caught the wistful note in Tetyanna's voice. "Don't worry. There is a place for all of us, I'm sure. And we'll stick together until we each find ours. That is, if you can put up with such a smartass half breed."

Tetyanna looked at her sharply. "I like the fire in you! I find it very attractive, Thyri. You bet I will put up with you, for as long as I can keep you by my side. Now let's get our stuff rounded up and get ready to head out."

Thyri smiled at the sentiment, and nodded a moment later. "Yeah, I'll put our packs up in the hammock after we get what we need from them, and I'll hobble the horses so they can graze but not roam too far."

Tetyanna nodded and went about cleaning up the camp, getting ready to move out. The voice of the young healer broke the companionable silence. "What do you think of my idea from last night? Do you want to track them into the caverns?"

Tetyanna sighed, knowing that it would come to this. "I fear for you. I don't know if it's a good idea. I don't care if I live, but I do care if you don't."

Thyri thought through her words carefully, knowing she'd have to be persuasive to get her companion to agree. "We may not get the chance to rescue whoever was under that blanket if we don't. For all we know, that cavern may come out the other side of the mountain. Or if they come back out this way again, they might leave her inside."

Tetyanna relented with a resigned sigh. "Okay, but I want you to stay at a safe distance. Do you understand?"

Thyri smiled reassuringly as she checked her bow and arrows, making sure they were straight and sharp, and ready. "Don't worry, I'll be alright. These aren't just for show."

Tetyanna smirked, "Well try not to shoot my heart, okay?"

After a final check of their weapons and equipment, each woman was ready to go. "Let's go." Tetyanna said. "Okay, I'm ready." Thyri replied. They set out back through the woods, towards the cavern's entrance. As they walked, Tetyanna hesitantly said, "Thyri?"

"Yes?"

"If I should ever, uh....If I ever..... If you ever think I am going to hurt you, you know, in my other form.....please, kill me. I would want it that way."

Thyri looked at her companion seriously, but said nothing. Tetyanna continued, "I couldn't live with myself if I knew I had done something to you. If I did, I would finish the job for you, in that case."

Thyri put her hand on Tetyanna's shoulder and said, "Don't worry, you'll do fine. I'll carry your things so you'll have them inside if you need them."

Tetyanna stopped and grabbed Thyri's arm, looking seriously into her eyes. "Thank you for trusting me, Thyri."

"With my life, always."

Tetyanna felt a chill run through her inside. She only hoped it would never come to that.
 
Back
Top