Marijuana Majority: Americans Now Back Legalization

Morning AC!:rose:

Interesting article isn't it, a bit dense, with lots of new words.;)

Maybe Eric Holder should read it?

Lawmaker prods attorney general to revise ‘fallacious’ pot laws: Order the study already

A pro-pot legislator pointedly asked Attorney General Eric Holder why he wants to wait for Congress to loosen marijuana laws.

Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) reminded Holder during a House Judiciary Committee meeting Tuesday that the attorney general had the authority to ask the Secretary of Health and Human Services to conduct a study of cannabis for the possibility of reclassifying it as an illegal drug.

“In my humble opinion, and I think the majority of the people in this country, there’s no way that marijuana should be Schedule I, because this is not the same class as heroin and LSD, as it is in the code,” Cohen said.

Holder said he was satisfied with what his office had done on the issue.

“Within the world in which I have primary responsibility, I think we have acted in a way that is appropriate,” Holder said.

WTF is he talking about? He has not acted. He has let the status quo continue, despite the evidence that overwhelmingly supports rescheduling.
 
JackLuis, I am afraid the Feds don't want to go too fast on this issue and be seen as activists, who do the right thing for a change.
 
JackLuis, I am afraid the Feds don't want to go too fast on this issue and be seen as activists, who do the right thing for a change.

Our so-called democracy is truly upside down. Those who don't pay taxes have the most representation and those who do pay taxes have little to no representation. Our two party political system has ground itself into a rut.

Modern technology, specifically the internet, would seem to afford a populist third party candidate the opportunity to conduct a series of nationwide polls, build a political platform and agenda based on those poll results and run a successful (landslide?) campaign. I for one am baffled as to why this hasn't happened yet. I can only conclude that the fates of Paul Wellstone and JFK Jr. (just two recent examples) have effectively dissuaded anyone from trying to step into the national spotlight as a populist candidate.

A candidate who would legalize pot as a taxable medicine/commodity, bring home most (if not all) our men and women from undeclared war zones around the world, implement a fair flat tax system void of personal and corporate loopholes, invest in domestic infrastructure projects (bridge repair, high speed commuter rail, natural gas exploration, water resource management, etc.), cut back on/eliminate sending billions (and billions!) of dollars in arms to foreign dictatorships, and truly reduce the size of our federal and state bureaucracies by taking government out of personal choice issues like birth control, gay marriage and religion, it seems, intuitively, that a candidate like that could literally come out of the blue and "fix" Washington in one election cycle.

Yet, it hasn't happened and doesn't look like it is going to happen. Yes, the sinisterly named Citizens United ruling and the fact that we have a foreign owned "news" service manipulating the hearts and minds of our citizens for the betterment of UK and Australian trading interests are partially to blame. But still, why can't a populist agenda thrive in these modern times? It's baffling.

Sadly, Mark Twain summed up this situation very succinctly over one hundred years ago ... however, I still cling to the belief that modern technology can one day, hopefully, overcome it.

"The only problem with common sense is that it is not very common." - Mark Twain
 
Our so-called democracy -

"The only problem with common sense is that it is not very common." - Mark Twain

Here Here!

I found this one and wanted to put it up, because of the image. :D

Devils_harvest_poster_01.jpg



Not very scientific, but the other side of the "Grassy Knoll".
 
JackLuis, I have seen that one before and it is a perfect example of government brainwashing. Thanks for posting it.

Naughty, your remarks are most intelligent and completely correct. I am 62, remember the world and hope of JFK, and am still wondering when another candidate like him will come along and fix a few glaring problems. But I have come to realize, "the powers that be" are leading us toward One World Order with one World Bank, probably located in either London or Frankfurt, both strongholds for very old European money.
 
the-marijuana-mob1.jpg



Wonkette was in good form.

Ah, the weekend. Time for yr Wonkette to get away from the computer and relax. Maybe drink some beers with friends or go hiking in the California sun or spark up a nice fat bowl of medicinal marijuana – we suffer from a chronic health condition our doctor has diagnosed as paralyzing existential anxiety with acute despair. Unfortunately our medicine has a particularly nasty side effect, according to an essay by Herman Cain’s web editor Dan Calabrese – it can also cause demonic infestation. We hope that’s nothing like the head lice we had once when we were a kid, because the medicinal shampoo we had to use for that sucked.

Take it away, not-at-all crazy person.

The use of mind-altering substance for “recreational” purposes puts a person at serious risk of demonic attack because what you’re doing is rejecting the natural chemicals God already put in your body as insufficient to satisfy you physically and emotionally.

What a killjoy.
:D:D
 
I have been smoking pot since I was 14, and I am now 62. If I am more open to demonic attack, then the demons must have gotten lost along the way. LOL
 
I smoked almost every day for fourteen years and haven't touched it in five years. I'm for legalization but I think that it will in the end be a downer for a lot of stoners. For one thing, one of the major social aspects of weed is that you are part of a secret group doing secret mysterious things that no one else knows about. And once you're in that group, you feel like you are part of something.
When it goes legal I think that a lot of people are going to miss the high of doing something illegal and getting away with it.

You can sit all day and talk about the negative health effects of pot, but if we made everything unhealthy illegal, Cheetos would be illegal. Obesity in this country is out of control and yet disgusting junk food made out of pure chemicals is allowed to be marketed and sold to children.

You either legislate everything that is unhealthy including junk food, cigarettes, alcohol, cough medicine, and weed or you make it all legal and try to put some limitations on it.

Personally I don't like the way it makes me feel anymore. I just don't have time for it, and I think that it does take away from a person's motivation to do anything other than sit around and eat.
But that's no reason to make it illegal.
 
Funny Hapenstance!


Though the D.C. Council passed a bill to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana, which was later signed into law by Mayor Vince Gray, the future of relaxed pot laws in the District is still in jeopardy, thanks to a committee in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Earlier today, the House's Appropriations Committee passed an amendment introduced by Maryland Rep. Andy Harris to block D.C.'s marijuana decriminalization law. The amendment passed in a 28 to 21 vote.

The Federal Government suppressing Local Government?

Not exactly!

While the law is scheduled to take effect in D.C. on July 17th, it wouldn't be until much later that the amendment would take effect, if it did happen to pass the House and Senate, and was signed by the President. So if it were to pass, and D.C. police officers who are writing tickets for the possession of small amounts of marijuana under the law are suddenly forced to stop doing that because of this amendment, then they wouldn't be able to arrest for possession, because the amendment does not address the criminalization of marijuana—just the decriminalization of it. Thus it "would have practical effect of making marijuana possession essentially legal in the Nation’s Capital," Burnett says.

But it's still a long shot that the amendment makes it past the House, Senate, and gets signed off by the President. Still, the whole amendment makes Harris and the House Republicans look bad, Burnett thinks, especially at a time when marijuana decriminalization laws are popping up all over the country, even in Harris' own state.

"I think that the fact is that this act, as much as Rep. Andy Harris tries to shy away from it, it's an attempt to politically grandstand around the issue of marijuana hear in the District of Columbia," Burnett says. "It's just an opportunity to make a statement of his personal views. Unfortunately, his personal views do not mesh well with his own constituents in Maryland, nor do they mesh with those of the residents of the District of Columbia."
:D
 
PIC_0606.jpg

This is my latest strain, Super Skunk Kush from NL. It smells like black licorice and looks like a xmas tree that decorates itself w/snow white buds that grow bigger every day.
From seed to drying in 4 mths to yield 1 lb wet, approx, 1/ lb dry.
 
The Great Colorado Weed Experiment

The Grey Lady changes her mind. The Times shifted gears on Marijuana and caused a great kerfuffel in the eastern establishment. After six months they looked at Colorado's new freedom, and it was 'bitchen.' :D
 
Royce, very nice picture, thanks for adding it.

JackLuis, you have really made this thread interesting. Thank you, once again.

Here in California, the recreational push is on hold until the 2016 elections and that leaves a fair amount of time to continue to watch how Colorado and Washington are handling their newfound "freedom". In the meantime, the patients here continue to do what they do best.

I have dabbled in the edible world and have found the problem of keeping the dosage down to something manageable quite daunting. Due to being a constant smoker, I can handle more THC than most, and a brownie for me that seems mild can be very stony for a novice. Having experienced the effects of too many edibles at one time, which is called dysphoria, I will not be doing that, again. It was the worst night of my life, but I survived it intact, of course. Marijuana overdoses are not lethal.
 
That is one of my most favorite videos out there. Very funny and thanks for adding it here, JackLuis.
 
Speaking of wonderful Willie Nelson, he had a great article out today on Yahoo Music, "Willie Nelson's Advice for Novice Smokers (and Maureen Dowd)" from which I will post an excerpt;

Has Nelson ever run out of pot?

"Oh yeah, I've run out. But usually somebody will bring us some weed. Never have to buy any. Somebody just gives you all you can smoke. We played up in Northern California last year, up there where all the good weed grows. I think when we left the concert, there were probably eight or 10 pounds of weed on the stage."

Really?

"Yeah, because that's where they grow it all. All the great growers in that area, they're proud of their weed over there."

And we are very proud of our weed and love to show it off, whenever possible!
 
I wonder what is the percentage of college students that have NOT smoked some weed.

Rhetorical. :)


Montanos
 
Here in Tucson, the University of Arizona recently fired a doctor who had federal approval to study pot as a treatment for vets with ptsd. Making matters worse, the U of A is proposing a significant funding cut for their PBS/NPR affiliates. (The conservative state legislature doesn't believe in sending money to its universities.) The U of A has also opened a new economic studies program funded by the Koch Brothers. It's too bad. Tucson is a progressive town (3-way split between the D's, R's and independents) stuck in a very backwards state. It looks like willful ignorance is winning at the moment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/20/suzanne-sisley-marijuana-research_n_5603547.html

The doc was interviewed on "Here and Now" today:

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/08/18/marijuana-research-sisley
 
Thanks, Sikfuk, for adding those two articles, they were very interesting, and I agree, it is too bad the Koch Brothers are hellbent on getting new Republicans by hook or by crook.

Montanos, I started smoking pot at 14, in 1966, as a freshman in High School, so I wonder what percentage of high school students have NOT smoked pot, yet.
 
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/peter-mackay-says-more-lenient-marijuana-laws-still-on-the-table

We have our issues up here too, with a government that refuses to pull its head out of its ass and see the light. At least they're starting to move in the right direction. As for legal growers, licences remain status quo and users are still able to puff in public. I did love sitting on the bench in front of the courthouse and medicating happily with officers eyeballing me like mad, lmao They saw the cane and said nothing, which shows we have to stand up for our rights and not be bullied out of them.
 
In private and in confidence, have asked many law enforcement officers, including cops, lawyers, prosecutors and judges if they thought drugs should be legalized and have yet to have one say "no."
 
Fact: About 750,000 people are arrested every year for marijuana offenses in the U.S.

About 40,000 are in prison for marijuana-related offenses, at an annual cost of approximately $1.2 billion. [Remember: Your cost is someone else's income.]

Source: Marijuana Legalization: What Everyone Needs to Know

How much did they extort out of the 750,000 victims, do you suppose? How many worthless cops' salaries did this fund? How many times did the cops just decide to rob the victims rather than arrest them?

How much are the drug companies, chemical companies, cotton lobbyists, timber lobbyists, and God knows who else willing to contribute to politicians to keep all hemp production illegal?

These are the major factors involved in legalization. None of it has a damned thing to do with what you want, your safety or health.

If you believe it does you're part of the problem.
 
I must admit, California is not a role model in this case. Even though it has been a long time since Prop 215 was passed in 1996, we still don't have regulations that make any sense. My daughter lives in Santa Cruz County and patients there are allowed 99 plants per person. Here in Shasta County, we are only allowed 6 plants per person. No matter how much I might like to grow some smaller indica strains outdoors, the limited numbers make it impossible. With only 6 plants to work with, all of them have to be bigger producers to make it worth the time, effort, and worry. The local police checking up on me is one worry, even though I am in compliance, and the thieves ripping me off is another. And I have great respect for farmers everywhere trying to grow anything this season, with the way the weather keeps changing.
 
Back
Top