The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Holidays 2017 Support Thread

I want...I want...I want...

To finish my holiday story so I can share it. My muse is being an asshole though. So frustrating that I'm going to miss yet another goal. Ugh.

I hope others are having more luck with their plot bunnies!
 
Unusual for a contest, there doesn't seem to be much excitement about this contest.

The last contest, the Halloween contest, had lots of entries.

What's going on? Who's writing a story?

I have one story ready to submit. What about you?
 
A lot of the writers are wrapped up in Nano. Others are busy with family and other projects.
 
I have one idea for the competition but it's taking 3rd place right now behind two other commitments.
 
I have three in progress (as part of NaNoWriMo). I might be able to finish one today but the others are some way off.
 
I'm trying, three different ones (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years), but to be honest it isn't going well. While a part of me is thinking "well, hell. Let's just see if I can do something," the rest of me is thinking if it isn't at least mediocre, there isn't any point in inflicting it on anyone else. We'll just have to see if I can rekindle enough to get something submission worthy in time.
 
I have just hit the submit button for my first entry. That's 5,449 words towards my NaNoWriMo target as well.
 
I'm trying, three different ones (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years), but to be honest it isn't going well. While a part of me is thinking "well, hell. Let's just see if I can do something," the rest of me is thinking if it isn't at least mediocre, there isn't any point in inflicting it on anyone else. We'll just have to see if I can rekindle enough to get something submission worthy in time.

If you finish it, it's submission worthy. That last one of yours was good. :rose:
 
Woooo hooooo Ogg. I'll do my cheerleading impression now!

Thank you, Chloe. I'll imagine the cheerleading outfit.

But I want there to be many more stories submitted, not just from the AH regulars but from others too. I've still got two stories being worked on as part of NaNoWriMo. My word count did reasonably today after a couple of days of writing nothing because of grandchildren. Third grandchild arrives for a long weekend tomorrow so I'll be lagging behind on daily word targets. Maybe I can catch up, and finish the other two Winter Holiday stories during next week.
 
I’ve got two stories done for this contest, but alas! one of them sucks. Perhaps irretrievably. And here I am with a bunch of commercial stuff to get done as well; it’s too much! Too much, I say!

Oh, and hats off to all my fellow veterans, past and present. If you’re not one, and you see one, buy them a beer.
 
I have three in progress and an idea for a 4th, but not yet sure if I'll finish any of them in time. Hoping to have one done a week from today, but even that is iffy.
 
On the Run & in Hiding with Stepson is a true story

With inspired writing the best writing, my story, On the Run & in Hiding with Stepson is mostly a true story.

My cousin-in-law, Frankie Capizzi, worked for Gennaro Anguilo, head of the North End mob and headquartered out of a club on Prince Street. Frankie was a Mafia soldier.

Frankie did a job for Whitey Bulger. Rather than pay him, Whitey machine gunned him and his friend while they sat in their Cadillac. His friend died but shot three times, Frankie survived. Enabling the FBI to connect the dots, Frankie was involved with the shooting death of Ron Wheeler back in 1981, the owner of World Jai Alai.

He turned state evidence against Bulger and others. He went in the Witness Protection Plan and lived in Arizona for 25 years with his wife Emma, my cousin, until Whitey was finally found and arrested by the FBI.

The FBI could have found Whitey years ago but didn't want to find him because of all the dirt that he had on FBI agents and others.

Back then, Bulger grew up with and was best friends Will McDonough the famed Boston Globe sportswriter. His son Sean colored the Red Sox games. He now does Monday Night football. His brother Terry is a scout for the Arizona Cardinals. I was good friends with their mother Wilma McDonough. Will and Wilma, that always struck me as funny.

Just as everyone feared Irish mob boss, Whitey Bulger, with his brother, William Bulger, the President of the Massachusetts senate before becoming President of the University of Massachusetts, because of his connections, everyone feared him too.

I knew the armored car robbers too, Billy Sullivan and his brother Ritchie Sullivan. They were heavyweight boxers from the D Street projects in South Boston. Deadly men, they were angry and dangerous men but they liked me. Back then, everyone liked me because I was so pretty, kind, and friendly.

This, On the Run & in Hiding with Stepson, is a rare story for me because I mixed reality with fiction. Just as I hope readers will enjoy reading it, I had fun writing it.

 
Alrighty. Submitted. I had a hard time coming up with a title, and a harder time trying to justify anything but an EC submission. But it’s official: “Dani and the Christmas Dildo” ought to be up soon.

In EC...

My other story, with the noncon incestuous Thanksgiving pegging... well, that one seems beyond salvation. Win some, lose some.
 
Only now it has been posted do I notice the one-letter typo and the missing word. :eek:
 
Only now it has been posted do I notice the one-letter typo and the missing word. :eek:

I feel your pain. I'm cringing at my weak subtitle/description. It was 4am-ish when I submitted. If I'd left it any longer, I probably would've chickened out. It's a totally different category and feel to what I've written before and it's not going down too well. Oh well, c'est la vie.


*had family and health problems this year and sleep is currently a stranger to me most nights.
 
... It's a totally different category and feel to what I've written before and it's not going down too well. Oh well, c'est la vie.


*had family and health problems this year and sleep is currently a stranger to me most nights.

My last non-contest story started off with a poor rating and got worse. I rarely know whether a story is going to be acceptable or not. But early votes in a contest aren't a good indication of the final rating.
 
My last non-contest story started off with a poor rating and got worse. I rarely know whether a story is going to be acceptable or not. But early votes in a contest aren't a good indication of the final rating.

Yeah, I forgot about the hi-jinks which happens for these things.

Trying to think if I can use this as a plot bunny:

DMqpaGaW4AAm2QC.jpg


https://twitter.com/LukeRomyn/status/921735342419599361

:eek:

but I think Laurel would have a problem with it. ;):D
 
Love it. Gay rugby players. Wish you luck. I have my title written up along with the first two lines .... and an outline...
Thanks. Hope yours is going well.
I'm terrible at outlines - I seldom plan what I'm writing, and almost never write it down. It would probably help if I did. I have a cycling story I need to finish and I've envisaged the final scene but am dithering on the bits in between.
 
No new stories today, it appears. Is that usual/unusual for the second day of the contest? It is a Saturday.

Well mine is rolling, 2k words in and flying but I have other deadlines too so barring a miracle this might be another last minute entry for me.
 
Back
Top