Get rid of verrucas

Sweetdaisymae

Literotica Guru
My daughter has a whole crop of verrucas on her foot, as the doctor no longer does that type of thing, has anyone used an over the counter remedy that actually works?

My daughter has a whole crop of verrucas on her foot, as the doctor no longer does that type of thing, has anyone used an over the counter remedy that actually works?

There is an OTC (over the counter) product which basically freezes the lesions and they fall off... not much different from what a physician might use or liquid nitrogen. But follow directions carefully! Although Plantar warts are most difficult to extinguish and go deep. Whether freezing or eliminating with an acid preparation, here are some pointers.
1. Skin should be soft and moist - soak the affected area for at least 10 minutes before treatment.
2. Remember number one! If you haven't turned into a prune soak so more!
3. Vaseline placed on healthy skin around the lesion will help protect healthy skin during treatment
4. These are caused by a virus on the skin. Make sure the source is eliminated to avoid reinfection often found in dirt and locker room floors. Being barefoot exposes you to the virus!

Superglue and sand paper worked better than anything I ever used.

Use the super glue that comes in a pot with a brush. Paint on, wait a week for it to flake off, sand paper, repeat.

Sand paper worked better than those flimsy emery boards.

I used to have some serious problems. Dr. Scholl's products with salicylic acid helped a lot, but you do have to be consistent in the treatment. I do not recommend the bandage form - they slip and it can burn the healthy skin. The ones where you directly apply the treatment to the plantar are the best.

Follow Dash's advice on soaking and applying Vaseline. I also don't recommend the duct-tape method. I ended up getting a minor infection.

Here's something that helped me when I had moccasins (covering half my sole): going barefoot in the summer. That summer, it was pouring so everything was muddy (I was in the country at the time) - I mean literally ankle deep in mud. My plantars vanished. I don't know if it's because I was barefoot all summer, the mud or a combination of the two, but I didn't complain! It may help, but make sure she wears flip flops or something in the house, by the pool. But have her go barefoot this summer as much as possible - if it does not help in removing them, it will help prevent them from multiplying and spreading (and enough studies have shown that barefoot cultures almost never get them).

And if they hurt, I mean really hurt, cauterisation may be the only solution, but only after you've exhausted all other options. A mild anti-inflammatory helps with the pain.

Best of luck to your daughter!

Going barefoot is the best treatment for plantar warts (verruca). The virus has a tough time penetrating callused skin, and if it does its abraded away with walking. Most people become immune to the virus as they age.

I removed one with a razor blade, it never came back.

Thanks all!
She is barefoot most of the time (both my kids seem allergic to shoes and socks)
I have purchased a freezer spray and a salasylic acid preperation and will have a look at them both to see which might be best.
She says that the big one hurts her, I had applied a few drops of lidocaine gel to help the ouch.

Psychology is also important, especially with warts and younger kids. Play up the treatment as very positive very effective absolutely going to work best poison yet gets the bugger layer after layer... you get the idea.

The most effective treatments involve mechanical abrasion, which actually includes the acid. Duct tape can be a good mask to contain the acid/protect adjacent skin. Wash lesion well and hard with a rough cloth before treating.

My Dr. prescribed a 60% salicylic acid which had to be made up by a compounding pharmacy (i.e. it was much stronger than what the manufacturers make). Took about 10 days total.

Going barefoot is the best treatment for plantar warts (verruca). The virus has a tough time penetrating callused skin, and if it does its abraded away with walking. Most people become immune to the virus as they age.

I removed one with a razor blade, it never came back.

Yikes, did that not bleed like crazy? :confused:

My son had a really bad one on his heel this past winter. We treated it for months with the plantar wart medicated pads. Each night, I would soak his foot for ten minutes in warm water, then buff the wart with a pumice stone, and then apply the treatment pad while the skin was still soft. It was large and deep, but we finally got rid of it totally after about three months of continuous treatment.

I told him next time his foot starts to feel a bit sore...TELL ME right away, don't wait until it almost becomes fossilized on your foot!

My son had a really bad one on his heel this past winter. We treated it for months with the plantar wart medicated pads. Each night, I would soak his foot for ten minutes in warm water, then buff the wart with a pumice stone, and then apply the treatment pad while the skin was still soft. It was large and deep, but we finally got rid of it totally after about three months of continuous treatment.

I told him next time his foot starts to feel a bit sore...TELL ME right away, don't wait until it almost becomes fossilized on your foot!

You're lucky your son only had one! My moccasins started that way, but stupid Breezey did nothing :rolleyes:.

I'm much more diligent about my feet.

I took my time and cut it off over several days, becuz they do bleed a lot. Pumice works because its the same as walking barefoot, only faster.

No one asked but here's a great fix for athletes foot. My MD suggested it, and the relief was immediate: Fill a bucket with water as hot as you can stand it, add one ounce of Lysol, then soak your foot in the water/Lysol. The itch goes away like right now, then the skin peels off after a few treatments. Yes, its tender but the itch is gone and youre good as new in a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vick's vaporub is good for athletes foot and fungal toe nails. Not sure what you call it in the US though.

Back