A Crime too far (Closed to cynstv )

DeliciousMaiden

Literotica Guru
Joined
Apr 22, 2002
Posts
15,258
Max squealed as the man wrenched her arm and the blade slipped from her previously tight grasp.
The metallic clatter echoed round the dark subway.
She hadn't expected a confrontation … the weapon had been pure bravado … but he wasn't to know that …

It was supposed to be so easy.
For days she had watched him, observed his routine and finally talked herself into it. He so obviously had money to spare.
She could see the fat wallet bulging temptingly in the pocket of his overcoat.
He was just asking to be robbed.
He wouldn’t miss the money.
It wasn’t as if she was going to do a scam on his plastic or anything.
She just needed hard cash for food and to get a bed for the night.
She had been desperate…

”Let me go!!”

She shouted as he hauled her bodily away from the discarded knife.
Struggling, she knew she had to get free.
She aimed a forceful kick to his shins, followed by a bite to the hand that still held her fast.
With a curse he finally let go. She had a split second to escape and took it.

She never expected the flailing left arm that caught her across the shoulder with such momentum that she few backwards and seemed to bounce off the subway wall, before landing in a half conscious heap on the ground.

For moments the man stood surprised how effective his retaliation was.
And still his attacker made no sound or movement.
Only when he stepped nearer and reached out to pull back the hood that obscured the thug's features did he falter:
His attacker was much younger than he had seemed, his frame much lighter in fact.
His hand hovered in disbelief as a soft murmur came from the now helpless form before him.
Kneeling closer now, the man carefully eased the fabric back as long dark hair tumbled free.

Shock and incredulity froze him as he stared downwards.
No wonder his attacker had taken such pains to conceal their identity!
The pain in his hand and shins a dull irritation now as he stared into the deathly pale face of the young girl who lay before him ...

blue-eyes-brown-hair-brunette-fashion-girl-Favim_com-435232._large.jpg
 
Last edited:
He couldn't believe it... some half pint thug was trying to rob him in the subway station. He always knew that there were dangers in the tunnels, but he certainly never expected someone so... small to make a play against him. Being 6'6" tall, he had gotten lazy and regarded most of the people as a non threat. He made sure he was always aware of what he thought were possible threats, but this one surprised him.

The knife was out, and in a flash, he struck the hand holding it with his left hand, and the wrist with his right, forcing the wrist to bend and release the knife. He then began twisting the wrist in an attempt to get a lock, only to have it slip away as the thief flailed at him, striking his shins. The thief attempted to make a run for it past him to the left. Refusing to let the thief get away to rob someone another day, Eric struck out with his left arm, attempting to clothesline the thief and get a head lock. Little did he expect the thief to fly backwards several feet and hit the floor.

He saw his opportunity to wrap this fight up, and get this thief handed over to the authorities... Eric knelt, placing his knee upon the shoulder of the thief, and marveled at the audacity of one so small to attempt something so brash. Eric began to peel back the hood the thug was wearing, to see who he was dealing with. As the hood came back, he stared, somewhat shocked, confused. He had expected some drugged out thug. His mind pictured him as ugly, and pock marked in the face.. yet, what he found was far different. He saw, as he continued to pull the hood off, a very young face... and, as the trusses of hair fell from the hood, the realization hit him... a girl.

He could do nothing but stare for a few moments. Not only was the thief a girl, but she was stunningly beautiful, yet obviously in need of care. She didn't look like she had taken a proper bath in a while.

Deciding he had best make sure she didn't have any more weapons hidden about, he patted her down, feeling carefully for weapons, taking care to avoid touching her in a way that may be viewed as violating. Finding no other weapons, he decided to try to rouse her. Tapping her cheek lightly with his hand, "Wake up... Wake up...." At the first sign of her waking, he commented aloud, but more to himself, "What in the world am I going to do now?"

He watched her, taking her in as she slowly became alert, watching her eyes open, watching for indications of what she may do, as well as marveling at the beauty of the eyes themselves.
 
Maxine groaned. The momentary escape into oblivion although unwelcome and ill-timed had at least been a brief relief from the hell that her reality had become of late. And now even with her eyes closed, she saw stars even as her head throbbed. She wanted nothing more than to sink into blackness and escape, but escape what … ?

"Wake up... Wake up...."

From far off it seemed a voice was trying to rouse her. She gave a soft sound of protest as she felt a hand at her cheek, its tapping irritating as a fly and as persistent. She went to raise her right hand to swat it away and gasped at the pain in her wrenched wrist. For long seconds she could not make sense of anything until suddenly her befuddled mind cleared and her eyes sprung open in panicked recollection.

And there he was.

Even kneeling over her, his frame was intimidating. He had been angry with her as his assailant, but it wasn’t anger she saw as she blinked and tentatively raised her left hand to touch the lump at the back of her head with a wince. It was then she realised. He had pulled away her hood of that padded outer garment she always wore to ‘bulk up’ her slight appearance and without that protection he could clearly see that she was a girl and that even when fully fit, she was no match for him…

"What in the world am I going to do now?"

She heard his words and feared just what direction his revenge might take.

”Don’t you touch me … !“

She injected as much aggression into those words as possible, but even to her ears she sounded more afraid than hostile. With effort she pulled herself upright, biting her lip as her head swam and then using her left hand gathered her clothes more tightly around her, desperately trying to read the situation, but lost as to what he would do next.

”.. leave me be … “

She told him and frantically searching her mind for anything to give her words weight.

”Come any closer and I’ll cut you … “

She threatened with as much bravado as she could muster, ignoring the fact that not only did she have no further weapon, but that even if she did, she doubted she could even hold a knife steadily in her right hand.
 
Last edited:
”Don’t you touch me … !“ ”.. leave me be … “

"You do realize that you are only this situation because you attempted to rob me, if anything, I should be saying the same to you," Eric spoke calmly, noticing the look of panic in her eyes. "If you would settle down, we could get to the bottom of this."

”Come any closer and I’ll cut you … “

"I am not sure how you intend to accomplish that, since I currently hold your only weapon," said Eric, his eyes watching her closely. "Might I ask why you decided to try to mug me? I will admit, I impressed with your bravado, but you might have chosen an easier target."

"Now, let's stand up slowly, and I will decide exactly what I will do with you depending on how you behave while we do this. At this point, you would do well to consider that your fate rests in my hands. You have attempted to rob me, using a deadly weapon. I am sure you understand what would happen if I chose to hand you over to the authorities."

Slowly, Eric stood while keeping his hand on the girl's wrist. He was sure to keep his thumb on the back of her hand. While this made it a bit awkward, it allowed Eric the ability to instantly lock the wrist and put her on her knees.

"What's your name girl," asked Eric, "and let's try the real name... if I don't believe you, we go straight to the police."
 
"You do realize that you are only this situation because you attempted to rob me, if anything, I should be saying the same to you,"

The man told her, his voice was everything she had expected, cold and unemotional.

"If you would settle down, we could get to the bottom of this."

She scowled at him. What was there to get to the bottom of?
She had tried to rob him and failed and been injured in the process.
And her threat to cut him had met with even less success if anything.

"I am not sure how you intend to accomplish that, since I currently hold your only weapon,"

Her eyes shot up to his. He had picked up the weapon, well that was to be expected. But how did he know that it was her only weapon unless he had checked her out whilst she had been too dazed to notice?

"Might I ask why you decided to try to mug me? I will admit, I impressed with your bravado, but you might have chosen an easier target."

Refusing to answer, she merely glared at him. He was so in control, so arrogant.
And if he chose to walk around with his wallet on display for all to see, why would he be so surprised that someone would be tempted to try to pocket it? He was supposed to be an easy target. How could she have predicted that a man of such stature would be able to react so quickly?

"Now, let's stand up slowly, and I will decide exactly what I will do with you depending on how you behave while we do this."

He seemed unconcerned that she had been hurt, in fact it was becoming increasingly clear that he must believe that she deserved all she had got.

"At this point, you would do well to consider that your fate rests in my hands. You have attempted to rob me, using a deadly weapon. I am sure you understand what would happen if I chose to hand you over to the authorities."

His words were patiently patronising, though much as she would have liked to retort, she judged that at this stage she would do better to comply. His hand went to her wrist, his touch making her gasp in pain. It was clear that if she were to attempt to run that he would once again secure her by that slender bone and given his strength she truly believed he would easily break it were he to apply real force.

Awkwardly she attempted to stand. With only her left hand to push her body up and the dull ache and slight dizziness in her head it took all her remaining strength to haul herself upright, where she stood swaying slightly and willing herself not to show any more weakness that was necessary now that he towered above her as he faced her snapping out his question.

"What's your name girl, and let's try the real name... if I don't believe you, we go straight to the police."

She considered for a moment. Perhaps the police would be a better option than this man?

"Max ... "

She told him and knew by his expression that he wanted more.

"Maxine ..."

She clarified remaining stubbornly uninformative as to her surname.

"You think I'm on the street for fun, do you?"

She asked.

"People like me don't want to be traced. And you can threaten all you like.
I won't tell you ... or the cops ... "


She told him with soft defiance.
 
Maxine... an interesting name. She had called herself Max at first, obviously preferring that name over the longer version.

"So, Maxine, believe me, there is plenty to figure out. As you may have noticed, I appear to be holding all of the cards, well, most of them at least." Eric wondered what would put such a pretty young lady on the streets. Almost as if she had read his mind, she uttered...

"You think I'm on the street for fun, do you?"

"Actually, Maxine... Max... I don't know what to think about you being on the street. I am generally pretty sure of what I think, but for once, I have been placed in a situation where I simply don't understand the 'why' and 'how' of something."

Eric looked Max up and down, retaining his hold on her wrist, but allowing hit to soften just a touch. As the blood flowed to his fingers, he allowed his fingers to feel the softness of her skin.

"Look, Max, judging from your current.. umm... situation, I assume that you are in a tough situation. Let's do this... Let me buy you something to eat. I can see you are hungry, and, to be honest, I am not so sure of what I wish to do with you. Consider this your chance to give me your input of what happens next," Eric said... thinking inside he was making a huge mistake.

"I must warn you though, Maxine, don't try to get away, I don't intend to hurt you if you do as I ask, but should you test me on this, there may be consequences. Are we clear?" Eric questioned her while looking into her eyes. He knew what to look for, to determine if she was going to fight or flee... he was hoping to see neither, looking for agreement.
 
"Actually, Maxine... Max... I don't know what to think about you being on the street. I am generally pretty sure of what I think, but for once, I have been placed in a situation where I simply don't understand the 'why' and 'how' of something."

She shook her head laughing at him as openly as she dared. How could a man like him have any understanding of what her life or the reasons for her actions were? And what was it to do with him anyway?

"Look, Max, judging from your current.. umm... situation, I assume that you are in a tough situation."

She nodded grudgingly. She had felt his hold ease on her wrist, which allowed her to at least angle it slightly more comfortably.

"Let's do this... Let me buy you something to eat."

He must have seen the surprise on her face. The expression soon to be replaced by suspicion. She recalled the old mantra that were was 'no such thing as a free lunch.'

"I can see you are hungry, and, to be honest, I am not so sure of what I wish to do with you. Consider this your chance to give me your input of what happens next,"

She almost rolled her eyes. So that was the story. He got to play Mr Charity and she as little poor girl merely had to tell him all her troubles and let him pry into her life in return. Well, she considered. She'd done worse to get a meal of late ...

"I must warn you though, Maxine, don't try to get away, I don't intend to hurt you if you do as I ask, but should you test me on this, there may be consequences. Are we clear?"

His voice was harsh again reminding her of the precariousness of her situation and issuing a clear threat, which she knew to her cost that he could carry out.

" ... fine ... "

She responded like a petulant teenager, with a shrug of the shoulders and a sullen look, but she knew she had no other option but to play things his way. Besides what was the worst that could happen? She would be back at square one, but at least she'd have some food in her belly which was the one advantage of his offer.

"I won't try to run ... "

She elaborated as she raised her eyes to his.

"... 'not like I'd get very far anyhow with a lump on my head and injured wrist."

She looked at him accusingly, but doubted that he'd feel any sympathy or remorse.
If things went badly for her, she wondered if she could claim assault, even attempted rape...? Her mouth curled upwards briefly as she entertained those thoughts, until she quickly schooled her features and awaited his next lecture about the error of her ways ...
 
"Good... tell me, what would you like to eat?" Eric asked. He caught glimpses of, what was it... anger? resentment? Regardless, Eric was cautious. For some reason, he felt badly this girl was in this situation, but at the same time, he was very much aware of the fact that she had been perfectly willing to stab him just moments before. Wrapping the knife in his handkerchief, Eric said, "I better hang on to this... I would hate for you to find a place in my ribs for it. He smiled at her as he said it, but was very much in tune with her body language.

"Let's go ahead and get this out there, Max. At this point, I am inclined to think that I am not going to have you arrested. What I would like, is to understand how you got to this point. Believe it or not, I can somewhat relate to your situation, I just never got this far. As I said, I want nothing more than a meal and conversation. How old are you, Max?" Eric felt like he was talking ninety miles an hour... he for some reason was full of questions, and was getting no answers, at least none that were not laced with sarcasm and hatred.
 
"Good... tell me, what would you like to eat?"

Maxine was wary, not believing that he was trying to be kind.

"Anything."

She told him shortly.

"You know what they say? Beggars can't be choosers."

She told him with mock humour.

"I better hang on to this... "

He made great play of wrapping the knife in a handkerchief.

".. I would hate for you to find a place in my ribs for it."

Her reflex reaction was to look offended that he could think such a thing of her, then belatedly the mask came back into place and she merely shrugged and looked away offering no further reaction.

"Let's go ahead and get this out there, Max. At this point, I am inclined to think that I am not going to have you arrested."

Again he had her full attention.

"What I would like, is to understand how you got to this point."

Her eyes held his gaze, but she concentrated on giving nothing away.

"Believe it or not, I can somewhat relate to your situation, I just never got this far. As I said, I want nothing more than a meal and conversation. "

She didn't quite believe it, but she couldn't help a slight awakening of curiosity at his words.

" How old are you, Max?"

She let the question hang in the air between them.

"Over 18 ... "

She told him.

"I'm not some underage runaway ... "

She confirmed.

" ... or jailbait ... "

She told him not yet knowing if he had groped her when she had been unconscious, but the accusation was out their, only remotely veiled.

"How old are you?"

She countered, her voice curious rather than hostile, deciding that perhaps it would be just as well not to overdo the 'attitude' as he could easily lose that humanitarian urge and merely hand her over to the cops.
 
Eric couldn't believe it... she was questioning him. In the back of his head, he knew he deserved it. He played interrogator with her, having known early on he couldn't bring himself to have her arrested. Whatever she had done previously, he doubted she deserved to be this desolate.

"You know what they say? Beggars can't be choosers."
He knew better than to say it, but he thought about saying a thief is not the same as a robber... but he didn't say it... instead, he smirked a bit, and said, "How about a burger?"

"Over 18 ... " Deep in the recesses of his mind, he found it humorous she instantly thought he was after her sexually. "Look, Max, I was simply asking... if you were a minor, I would feel obligated to help your folks find you, or you find them, or whatever....." He realized he was stammering, his mind still coming to grips with her use of the term "Jailbait", so he let the sentence die off.

Instead, making sure to keep her close to keep her from making a run for hit, he put his arm through hers, and began to make his way to the stairs out of the tunnel. As he put his arm through hers, the side of his forearm brushed against her side. He could feel himself tingle as it brushed against the side of her breast. Rather than make a big deal out of it, as it was accidental, he decided to play it safe and pretend it didn't happen. Maybe she didn't notice.
 
"Look, Max, I was simply asking... if you were a minor, I would feel obligated to help your folks find you, or you find them, or whatever....."

She stayed stubbornly silent. She had told him she was 'legal' and he wasn't giving her the information she'd asked for, so they had reached a stale mate she figured.

She wasn't entirely comfortable with the way he took her arm, but at least it freed her wrist and she rubbed it tentatively as they made their way through the tunnel and towards the stairs. He had offered her a burger and the prospect of that kept her compliant, even when he supposedly 'accidentally' rubbed against her as she slowed on the stairs.

"Look, I'm not gonna run. Just let me ... "

She shook his arm off as they reached the top of the stairs. She knew that he could grab her should she try to get away, but that wasn't what she had in mind. Instead she drew the padded jacket around her and gathered her hair together, twisting it and holding it in place before pulling the hood up and ensuring that it masked her features.

"I have to survive around here."

She explained. He had asked about her life, so here it was.

"You think if the local druggies or tramps knew what I looked like I could find anywhere safe to sleep?"

She asked, dropping the sassy façade finally.

"Look, I'm not messin' here."

She told him urgently, her gender and physique now totally disguised, just as it had been when she'd attempted to rob him.

"Just ... let me walk beside you, okay? Bein' seen all 'intimate' like with a guy like you could get me in serious trouble. At best they'll think I'm a gay and give me a beating ... at worst ..."

She glanced around genuine fright in her eyes for the first time. This area hadn't shaped up to be what she'd hoped. Perhaps it was time to move on soon after all?

"Just ... let's get out of here ... this isn't a safe place to be .. "

She told him seeing the dangers that from his perspective he was blind to.
 
Last edited:
Eric felt her start to yank at his arm before she said a word. His initial reaction was to tense up and grab her, but he resisted and let her loosen up. If she really wanted to run, the reality was she would just have to scream out, and that would be that.

"I have to survive around here."
"Max, I understand... why do you stay around here if it is so dangerous? Surely there are other areas you could go to that are safer?" Eric asked, immediately realizing that he sounded so patronizing, so he started back pedaling, "I mean, umm... Like a place with friends or something.. umm... oh, nevermind!" He gave up as he watched her face, as he struggled to understand.

He noticed as they walked, her head was on a swivel. She was subtle, but constantly looking around. He knew then, she really was scared, and this wasn't a game to her.

"Look, Max, my car is in the park and ride lot up the street... if you want, we can go somewhere else to eat. I understand if you don't want to get in a car with me, but you have my word, I will not harm you. Look, I am way too old to play that game. I turn forty next week, and can ill afford to get into trouble for doing something stupid." Eric almost pleaded, hoping she would believe he really meant her no harm. To leave her here, in this part of town, with her as scared as she was, would be like leaving a perfect rose standing in a garden of weeds. In this case, he couldn't control the weeds, but he could do his best to remove the rose.
 
Last edited:
"Max, I understand... why do you stay around here if it is so dangerous?
Surely there are other areas you could go to that are safer?"


Despite his claims this man obviously didn't understand. People moved around, in fact you had to keep moving just to stay out of trouble, just to survive.

"I mean, umm... Like a place with friends or something..."

She had thrown him a look, her head tipping back to meet his gaze frankly, her features and expressive eyes fixed on his, there merest raising of an eyebrow. If she had a place with friends would she be even considering robbing a man such as him?

" ... umm... oh, nevermind!"

He seemed to take her point, the first concession she felt to actually acknowledging that with her 'lot in life' perhaps the rules weren't quite as clear cut. And he allowed her to walk along beside him; a massive concession given his opinion of her. Not that he should think anything else from a person who had pulled a knife on him in the subway she conceded grudgingly.

"Look, Max, my car is in the park and ride lot up the street... if you want, we can go somewhere else to eat."

His suggestion surprised her, but more so because it showed that he was perceptive and seemed to sense that being seen around here wasn't the best of ideas right now.

"I understand if you don't want to get in a car with me, but you have my word, I will not harm you. Look, I am way too old to play that game. I turn forty next week, and can ill afford to get into trouble for doing something stupid."

So, he was almost 40? She looked up at him assessing his appearance. She supposed he looked his age, but a lot of that could be to do with the suit and his whole superior demeanour.

"Ok ... "

She agreed succinctly.

"... thanks ... "

For the first time her mouth turned into a genuine smile, the defensive hardness leaving her eyes as she held his gaze. And then she turned away, pulling the hood forward as if the slip of her mask made her more vulnerable.

"It's my birthday soon too ... "

She told him conversationally as they headed to his car.

"I'll be 21 ... "

She laughed mirthlessly. She had expected her life to be sorted by that age, but nothing had turned out as she'd planned.
 
Eric was shocked she actually agreed to go somewhere. He had hoped she would, but assumed that she would be fearful and wary of getting in a car with a stranger... especially considering she had just shown her willingness to do whatever it takes to survive. Eric translated this mentally as she was that desperate to get out, but stuck in a bad spot.

"Great, so since we are going somewhere, we can grab a bite wherever you wish. I only suggested a burger because that happens to be the only place I know in this area," explained Max.

As they walked to his car, Eric tried to keep conversation to a minimum, knowing that she desperately wanted to keep her image on the streets. He felt awkward, knowing that he was trying to help, but was unsure about how to help. He knew that a full stomach would be a decent start, but Max had more story to her than was apparent.

"So, you're almost 21. May I ask how long you've been on your own?" asked Eric.

As they arrived at his car, a black Tahoe, he went to the passenger side and opened the door for her. Waiting until she was seated before gently closing it for her. He then got in himself, started it up, and asked, "Where to? And before you lecture me about driving a gas hogging car like this, a guy my size doesn't exactly fit in a small car." He was grinning while he said it, hoping to break some of the tension with a touch of humor. He knew her nerves had to be in overdrive.
 
"Great, so since we are going somewhere, we can grab a bite wherever you wish. I only suggested a burger because that happens to be the only place I know in this area,"

She nodded.

"Anywhere is fine. I doubt I hang out places you know and it's your money, so you choose ..."

She told him with practical logic.

"So, you're almost 21. May I ask how long you've been on your own?"

She glanced across at him as he posed his question.

"I was running away from home on and off since I was 16."

She told him.

"I took off about this time 3 years ago."

She tried to keep her tone factual.

"... only been on the streets 'bout 9 months though ... "

She clarified as they came to the park and ride. She couldn't help looking round surreptitiously before she entered with him. Silent now she was eager to cross to his awaiting Tahoe and slip quickly into the passenger seat, slumping down in it whilst he got in and started it up.

"Where to? And before you lecture me about driving a gas hogging car like this, a guy my size doesn't exactly fit in a small car."

She knew he was trying to lighten things between them, but she merely responded.

"Anywhere. I don't care. Just out of here."

She looked around anxiously as he pulled away only relaxing when they left the area that was familiar to her.

"So ... why're you bein' so kind to me?"

She questioned him casting off her hood and shaking out her hair now that she believed she was in safer territory.

" ... doesn't make sense ... "

She spoke almost to herself. He must have an angle, a motive, but each time she thought she had worked him out, he surprised her.
 
Eric pulled onto the expressway. Since Max wouldn't give any indication of what she wanted to eat, he planned on taking her to somewhere she could have a variety to choose from. Driving along, he scanned for something that might fit the bill, Something like a Chilis or something. "If you see something, just shout," Eric remarked.

"So ... why're you bein' so kind to me?"

"Well, it may not make sense to you yet, but to me it makes perfect sense. I'm of the belief that what goes around comes around... and well, it's my turn to give back. Someone helped me out when I was about your age. So let's just say, it's my turn for now," Eric explained.

Eric glanced at Max several times, "You know, you can lighten up now, we are out of the neighborhood, so you don't have to hide your pretty little self all wrapped up and scowling all the time."

"So you've been on the streets for a bit. What happened that you landed there? I got close once, but I was lucky and someone threw me a life preserver, so to speak."
 
Last edited:
"Well, it may not make sense to you yet, but to me it makes perfect sense.
I'm of the belief that what goes around comes around... and well, it's my turn to give back. Someone helped me out when I was about your age. So let's just say, it's my turn for now,"


She didn't quite buy that.

"Did you try to rob them too?"

She asked highlighting how absurd his change of heart was.

"So you've been on the streets for a bit. What happened that you landed
there?"


He still wanted to understand and still thought he could 'understand' and find a reason or everything that had happened to her.

"I got close once, but I was lucky and someone threw me a life preserver, so to speak."

She sighed.

"Well you were lucky. How does anyone end up on the streets? You lose your job, so you have nowhere to stay and with nowhere to stay you can't usually get a job. Same old ... "

She told him matter-of-factly sounding like she was his 40, rather than just in her 20s.

"But as you're feelin' so generous, there is one thing I could do with ..."

She told him watching his reaction to her making a request of him.

"I could use some painkillers... I'm no druggy, so anything would hit the spot ..."

She told him aware now that the initial crisis was over that her head was throbbing and her wrist ached, although that at least was feeling better than it had at first...
 
"I could use some painkillers... I'm no druggy, so anything would hit the spot ..."

"I have some Tylenol in the glove box, but I am afraid I haven't anything to swallow them with. You are welcome to them," Eric remarked, watching her rub her wrist lightly.

"Hey, I apologize about the wrist.. It was just a natural reaction, I didn't even think, just did. Honestly though, even if I had thought, I likely would have done the same thing in that situation. You have to admit, I had reason to get the adrenaline going," commented Eric.

"Ok, there is a Chilis up here, lots of choices there to eat, sound good?" Eric asked. He didn't want to take her anywhere sleazy, and didn't want her to feel too out of place, so Eric was trying to find the happy medium.

"As far as why I am being so generous, no I didn't try to rob them at knifepoint. Instead, I got busted scamming them at the store they owned. I worked for them, and was enhancing my paycheck one could say," Eric commented. "I was lucky, they decided to work with my creativity, turns out they were impressed with my scam."

"One could say I am impressed with your courage," Eric complimented. He continued to look her over, while talking to her... imagining what she would look like with a proper bath and clothing.
 
"I have some Tylenol in the glove box, but I am afraid I haven't anything to swallow them with. You are welcome to them,"

She opened the glove box and took out the meds.

"I'll take them with the meal. I think they're supposed to be taken with food aren't they?"

She queried pocketing them in the vast hooded jacket she wore.

"Hey, I apologize about the wrist.. It was just a natural reaction, I didn't even think, just did. Honestly though, even if I had thought, I likely would have done the same thing in that situation. You have to admit, I had reason to get the adrenaline going,"

She actually laughed then.

"Don't worry about it, I've had much worse and yeah, I had it coming ... "

She confessed.

"I figured you were too posh to put up a fight, that I could get in and out with your wallet before you even noticed. You sure don't seem concerned about flashing that cash around in your back pocket ...turns out you were far from an easy target ..."

She complained good naturedly, looking approvingly across at the Chilis they were heading towards.

"As far as why I am being so generous, no I didn't try to rob them at knifepoint. Instead, I got busted scamming them at the store they owned. I worked for them, and was enhancing my paycheck one could say,"

Her head snapped round in his direction, amazed at what he told her.

"I was lucky, they decided to work with my creativity, turns out they were impressed with my scam."

She shook her head incredulously. In many ways his morality had been worse than hers now. At least she had been driven by need.

"One could say I am impressed with your courage,"

She shrugged.

"Like I said, I misread you. Besides if you're desperate enough you do anything to get food and a roof over your head. Courage doesn't really even come into it ... "

She dismissed his admiration.

"So I guess by offering to buy me a meal you always held the winning hand... "

She told him as they pulled up outside Chilis.
 
"The winning hand? How do you figure that? I am just concerned is all. Don't look all shocked that I scammed my job... fact is, I was crashing on a friends couch every night. I had been kicked out of my place place, all my stuff was gone. I was getting so few hours, it was that, or figure something out."

"Anyways, enough of that... lets grab a bite," Eric said, almost as a question.

He walked to the door, holding it open for Max as she entered. As she passed, he glanced down at her, smiling to himself. So much anger and fear in such a little body, he thought.

He told the hostess they would like a table for two, and asked that it not be in a crowded section. As they made their way to their seats, he took a seat, making sure to allow Max to sit where she would like. He knew he had been a bit demanding, and wanted her to relax a bit.
 
"The winning hand? How do you figure that? I am just concerned is all. Don't look all shocked that I scammed my job... fact is, I was crashing on a friends couch every night. I had been kicked out of my place place, all my stuff was gone. I was getting so few hours, it was that, or figure something out."

Maxine knew that despite his 'circumstances', his experiences were far removed from her circumstances, but she was willing to let it ride. After all after this meal she didn't need to see the guy again.

"Anyways, enough of that... lets grab a bite,"

She walked into the place, suddenly self-conscious as she moved behind her 'host', letting him do all the talking and finding herself led to a quiet table not overlooked by other diners and slid into a seat opposite him.

She loosened her jacket, but kept it on, looking round as she accepted the menu and asked for a mineral water when the waitress took the drinks order. He had insisted that she order whatever she wanted and so she chose chicken and dip to start and ordered one of the burgers with a side order of fries.

"So ... what's your name?"

She asked when they had gotten their drinks and the meal order had been taken.

" ... first name will do ... "

She quipped as she took out the tablets and took them with the water she was sipping.
 
"So ... what's your name?"

"My, I have forgotten my manners. My apologies, Max. My name is Eric," he said, obviously flustered that he had not given her his name.

Eric extended his hand, in an attempt to shake hers.

Eric watched as she loosened her jacket a bit, glad she was at least able to relax a little.

"How's the wrist feeling, Max?" Eric asked. "Need a drink of something stronger to numb it? No one would question me ordering it, I am sure."
 
Last edited:
"My, I have forgotten my manners. My apologies, Max. My name is Eric,"

She took his hand and shook it, the irony of the situation not lost on her.

"Nice to meet you Eric ... I don't think we were introduced before I attempted to mug ya earlier ... "

She quipped, leaning back to look at him with an amused smile on her face.

"I've met lots of different types of people, Eric, but I've never met one anything like you before ... "

She told him honestly.

"Not that that's a bad thing ... "

She assured him.

"Just ... different ... "
 
"Just ... different ... "

"You know, different is a good thing. I think too many times people get stuck in a rut, get bored with life, get old, and die. I admit, I have been in the beginning of that rut, but I recognize that there needs to be more than that. Are you happy the way things are, Max, or deep down do you want something different? I am not talking superficially, or even about your living... I mean, well... I am not sure what I mean... Well, I do know, but I can't explain it... ugh!" Eric stammered all of that out, becoming increasingly frustrated, his face even getting a tinge or red to it.

Eric was known as the one always in control, never having a problem with words... and now, for some reason, he was acting like a school boy fumbling through a conversation with the prettiest girl in school.

The Chicken and dip arrived, and Eric watched as Max ate her appetizer... "How is it?
 
"You know, different is a good thing. I think too many times people get stuck in a rut, get bored with life, get old, and die. I admit, I have been in the beginning of that rut, but I recognize that there needs to be more than that."

Maxine merely nodded content to let him start what she assumed was going to be the first course of 'good advice'.

"Are you happy the way things are, Max, or deep down do you want something different?"

Was he kidding? Did she look happy!? Her face must have shown her thoughts for he clarified;

" I am not talking superficially, or even about your living... I mean, well... I am not sure what I mean... Well, I do know, but I can't explain it... ugh!"

She watched him get tied up in his own words and had no idea what exactly he was trying to say to her. Fortunately her food arrived and she took on of the pieces of chicken dipping it and then nibbling upon it.

"How is it?

She almost laughed. He had to be kidding, right? She doubted she would turn her nose up at a pizza carton and it's left over contents.

"Beats kitchen throw-outs..."

She told him.

"Are you eating at all or are you going to watch every bite I take?"

She asked him selecting a second piece of chicken. If he thought she was going to give him the satisfaction of cramming it all into her mouth at once like a starved Dickensian orphan he would be waiting for a long time. Besides she knew how to act and had he but known it had been in much swankier places than perhaps even he had attended, at her age at least.

"Look I don't know what you were trying to say before, but what you don't seem to realise is that for you it all worked out, the gamble paid off and you have a life where you can afford to get 'into a rut', seek something different, better for yourself."

She wasn't angry, she was just telling him how it is and perhaps by doing so unconsciously demonstrating that she had some intelligence about her.

"For me ... it all went wrong ... and keeps going wrong."

She shrugged. It was a fact of her life and she didn't want his pity.

"So, sure I had ambitions, things I wanted to do with my life, but right now my priorities are getting enough food to survive, finding somewhere safe to sleep at night and trying to stay the right side of the law by earning just enough cash to survive. That's it. That's my life. And quite honestly I don't have the energy or possibility to aspire to anything else than survival at the moment."
 
Back
Top