Dark Receiver

"Three...Two...One!"

The count down went far quicker than she had thought it would. She could hear Glen setting off after her and gave a soft squeal and dodged around the bushes and then changed direction to seek out the cover she knew was essential. If it came down to a direct sprint, he would be sure to catch her almost straight away. She heard him gaining on her and cut through the undergrowth, intending to keep him guessing and to prevent him from having a clear run to catch up with her.

For long moments her strategy worked, so much so that she thought she had lost him as she followed a circuitous path in the darkness. The sudden materialisation of Glen in her path drew a squeal from her as he blocked her way and began to advance upon her. With a quick check of the area, Claire decided to aim for the edge of the woodland, which was surely within sprinting distance? But try as she might, he gained on her and although she got close, but found herself caught up, her instinct making her fight him in an attempt to evade his grip. Helplessly she squirmed in his grip and found herself pinned against a tree as she struggled to regain her breath, her eyes locking with Glen's though gratified that he too sounded as out of breath as her.

"Glennnn... no .... !"

She was laughing through her protests as his hand moved to begin to tickle her. He was way too good at it and all she could do was wriggle with more and more urgency as he meted out that sweet torture.

"Gotcha!"

Glen was triumphant, his hands all too easily finding those sensitive areas making her body jolt and twist in a vain attempt to evade him. Yet she was laughing and squealing and still trying to pull free even though she knew she was truly at Glen's mercy!
 
Her laughter-filled pleas fell on deaf ears as he wriggled his fingers over her body, finding spots which made her squirm and others which brought giggles. As he regained his breath he found that she was rapidly running out of breath from her constant laughter and breathless protests, he eased up slightly, but did not stop,

"Oooh what's those magic words again?"

He was teasing and in control of the situation and didn't he know it! He loved having her so close, having her laughter filling the silence around them and of course the promise of what her salvation would be from his tickling fingers
 
"Oooh what's those magic words again?"

She was loathe to give in to him and rallied to make a final show of resistance as she renewed her struggles as she attempted to pull free, put this only brought a more thorough tickling rendering her helpless and struggling for breath.

"Okay .... "

She managed to breathe.

"I give in ... you win ... "

She took a ragged breath as she attempted to steel herself for whatever was what to come.

" ... name your forfeit ... "

She offered as if reluctantly.
 
He stopped tickling and gave her a smile,

"Seems like my Juliet did not listen all too well earlier, if I win I get a kiss and I already took a down-payment on that promise."

He leaned close,

"So if I won, that means that I have a kiss to receive at a time and place of my choosing."

He chuckled,

"Now that is a prize worth holding on to."

He stepped away, releasing her from his capturing arms, only to take her hand in his and carefully making their way back,

"See? It wasn't all that bad was it?"
 
"Seems like my Juliet did not listen all too well earlier, if I win I get a kiss and I already took a down-payment on that promise."

She blushed as he teased her, but he had at least given her time to catch her breath. As he leaned towards her she expected that he would claim his kiss.

"So if I won, that means that I have a kiss to receive at a time and place of my choosing."

Her eyes widened as he clarified his intended 'terms'. Her mind raced as she wondered just where and when he might 'make' her 'pay up'. It was obvious that he read her thoughts and was finding the whole situation amusing, a fact his teasing words bore witness to.

"Now that is a prize worth holding on to."

Even in the dark, she could feel her cheeks pinking. She found herself free from his hold and had to lean against the tree momentarily for support. His hand captured hers and drew her gently towards him. With a soft smile she moved to his side and together they walked back to the car.

"See? It wasn't all that bad was it?"

She laughed and shook her head.

"Not bad at all ... though I think you counted quickly."

She accused playfully with a mock frown.

" ... you're right though ... as a tickler, you are fiendish!"
 
He wiggled his other hand in front of her,

"It's a talent I have."

He chuckled and found that their round-about route had actually brought them closer to the car as what he had thought. At the car he suddenly drew Claire close, feeling her soft body against his own, the warmth she radiated...it had been way too long. He winked at her in the low light and picked her on to the bonnet again. He soon followed, picking a spot next to her which allowed them to lie back and watch the stars, he folded one arm behind his head and offered the other for her own head.
 
"It's a talent I have."

Glen told her smugly as his hand reached out as if relaunching his tickling attack once more. She laughed with him finding herself back at the car. In a fluid movement he drew her towards him, that content lingering for a moment before once again he had eased her onto the car bonnet and this time slid up to take his place next to her. Claire chuckled as he leaned back silently staring upwards at the stars, his arm moving out to cushion her head as she did the same.

"So... are you a knowledgeable star gazer ... know the constellations and all that ... or are you like me and just like to spot a twinkle ...?"

She murmured as she took in the sight above her head.
She couldn't help but wonder if is this was yet another area he had knowledge of ... ?
 
He chuckled,

"And Jupiter moves into your influence sphere, as Sagitaurus you will find that conflict seems to flare around you."

He grinned up at the sky,

"I know mostly the zodiac signs and where to find North, but with the rest of the constelations I must plead stupidity. Since I am more with my nose in plays from old to new I don't get much time to stargaze."

He found that a strand of her hair was near his hand and he gently stroked it,


"In fact, this is the first time in a long while that I actually looked up and didn't see clouds."
 
"And Jupiter moves into your influence sphere, as Sagitaurus you will find that conflict seems to flare around you."

She laughed at his words.

"I know mostly the zodiac signs and where to find North, but with the rest of the constelations I must plead stupidity. Since I am more with my nose in plays from old to new I don't get much time to stargaze."

She knew that about him; he was obviously a 'book worm', especially when it came to plays and scripts. She lay gazing upwards, the significance of the twinkling patterns totally lost on her. What wasn't lost on her, however was that light touch of his fingers as they brushed a strand of her hair, the action so intimate, yet so natural. She sighed, her body relaxing as she savoured that silent togetherness.

"In fact, this is the first time in a long while that I actually looked up and didn't see clouds."

She nodded slightly.

" ... that storm cleared the air ... "

She commented softly.

"I can't say I look 'upwards' often enough ... "

She confessed.

"... makes you realise the significance of the phrase 'star-crossed lovers',"

She murmured half to herself.

"Not that I used to believe in fate and destiny and all that ... "

Until she had learned of the 'curse' that had followed her all of her life, of course, Claire reflected silently. How could she ever know what 'reality' was any more...?
 
He smiled and rested his hand on her shoulder, pulling her even closer to him,

"I can bet that they never looked up at the stars from the top of a coach and it's a shame that we hardly take the time to look up at them at all. One day I'd like to take you out into the desert. The stars is astonishing out there."

For a long moment he said nothing, just listened to their breathing,

"Our fate is not set in stone. If I may quote from a book I read: "There is no fate, but the fate we create for ourselves." and if you follow that road you be astonished about how life turns out for you."
 
Claire willingly let Glen draw her closer to him, her eyes on the stars above as he spoke.

"I can bet that they never looked up at the stars from the top of a coach and it's a shame that we hardly take the time to look up at them at all.
One day I'd like to take you out into the desert. The stars is astonishing out there."


She turned her head to look at him, but he seemed oblivious as he stared upwards. She was amazed that he had been out in 'the desert' and even more so that he wanted to take her out there. She was content just to be with him now, but the idea that they might have 'future' plans was ... intriguing ...

"Our fate is not set in stone. If I may quote from a book I read: "There is no fate, but the fate we create for ourselves." and if you follow that road you be astonished about how life turns out for you."

The irony of Glen's words was not lost on her.

"Even in my case...?"

She queried softly.

"We both know there is some unchangeable 'stone setting' in my life ... "

She turned her head to look at him.

" ... I'm struggling to get my head around it still ... I can't understand why it's not a problem for you ..."

For whatever reason Glen had accepted her circumstances and her.
He had feelings for her ... as she did for him ... and somehow, that obvious ... complication ... just didn't seem to be an issue ...

"What makes you think I'm worth the 'risk'?"

She eased up slightly to look down at him as she waited for his answer.
 
"Even in your case."

He looked up at her as she raised herself slightly to look at him, he tilted his head slightly,

"Risk? My dear the moment you set foot on that stage I knew that you were a woman that I need to know better. As I learned more, I found that the more I learn the more I wish to learn. There is only one thing that ignites such a curiosity in me and that is the theater and you know how I feel about the theater don't you?"

He raised his hand to gently stroke over her hair,

"And that is why your special problem is not a problem for me at all. All that is needed is adjustment."
 
"Even in your case."

His reply was simple, assured. If anyone could make Claire believe it was true, it was Glen.

"Risk? My dear the moment you set foot on that stage I knew that you were a woman that I need to know better."

His words thrilled her. After years being treated like a child to be protected from the reality of her life, Glen was the first person to truly consider her adult enough to make face life as it was, to make her own decisions.

"As I learned more, I found that the more I learn the more I wish to learn. There is only one thing that ignites such a curiosity in me and that is the theater and you know how I feel about the theater don't you?"

She nodded slowly.

"Yes ... yes I do ... "

Theatre was his passion ... the one thing he seemed dedicated to.
The idea that she could hold anything like that fascination for him stunned her.

"And that is why your special problem is not a problem for me at all."

It truly was that simple to him. And she finally found herself accepting that fact.

"All that is needed is adjustment."

His fingers were lacing through her hair, their touch softly sensual. Her heart flipped as her eyes locked with his. The intensity of the emotion that sparked between them left her breathless. She had always thought that if she let herself, she could so easily fall for Glen ... and now ... the question was rather, how could she ever stop herself?

"I ... can do adjustment ... "

She managed to reply somehow ...
 
"That is a step in the right direction."

He was very much aware of the mood, the sensations, the light in her eyes...yet he did not want her to feel that she was pressured in any way. He slowly ran his thumb along her jaw, softly stroking over her chin and softly touched her lips. There was a directness to the movement, but he gave her every opportunity to withdraw, to tell him no, to want to wait...he rested his hand on her cheek as he looked up at her.
 
"That is a step in the right direction."

The restrained approval brought a smile to her lips.
Claire found everything about Glen's manner intriguing, not least because she knew that he never wasted his words and that everything he said had almost 'script-like' significance.

She caught her breath as his fingers moved to her jaw.
The trail he drew as he made his exploratory way to her lips made her quiver.
The intimacy of his actions were a true discovery for both of them she suspected.
Claire sighed softly and leaned cat-like into his hand as it held her cheek.
She was sure he must be able to hear her pulses as they raced and yet all was silent, timeless. Much as she craved his touch, would welcome his kiss, Claire was content; perhaps more so than she ever had been?
He knew her, accepted her for what she was and she in turn wanted nothing from him, but his company, his affection ...

And both it seemed were equally 'curious' about the other ... but in no rush to hasten discovery...
 
Last edited:
His other hand reached up to slowly stroke through the soft curtain of her hair as it cascaded passed her face. It had a soft, velvety feel to it. He gave her a smile, drawing her from her perch on her elbow onto him. Their faces now mere inches from each other, his hands flicked her hair out to the sides, allowing it to not get caught between them. His hands did not return to her face, instead they rested on her back, one on the soft skin of her back and the other on her lower back,

No words was needed, to him they would have cheapened that moment, he had kissed her earlier that evening, yet he longed for more and even the loftiest and roseist of Shakespearian words would not fit this moment and the need he had to feel her lips against his once more. This must be what the man had in mind, this suspended moment of time and place, how he tried to put it to words...and for the first time in his life, Glen actually started to understand the passion behind the words. Sure he always could portray it, he could always have taught it, wrote about it...but right there, with this enigma of a woman, he finally found what could not be worded, only felt.
 
Leisurely exploration seemed to be what they were to share.

Never had Claire been with someone who merely wanted to touch her, as if wanting to savour the sensation of her. She loved the touch of Glen's hands in her hair, the stroking, the way his fingers threaded through the strands as he guided them to fan out free of her face. It all felt so deliciously sensual, as did the way his hands rested on her body and stroked her skin. Yet every deliberate action had an emotional rather than sexual dimension; the feelings, the reactions he drew from Claire were far more intense than any reaction which was purely physical.

It would seem strange if she'd put it into words, but they 'connected' in so many ways, on so many levels, but here and now with just the two of them laying on the car bonnet and looking up at the stars ... it was as if it was the first time she had ever truly felt 'at one' with anyone ... and in that moment found that being with Glen was all she truly wanted.
 
He could feel her soft hair as it fell around them, could smell the shampoo she had used, smell her fragrance, he held her to him. Not possesively, more intimately, more with the touch of an assured lover, a man who knew what was his. His lips found her own of their own accord, a soft touch, they parted for the briefest moment, he felt no resistance in her body, nor in her face, shadows played over her face and their lips met once more, soft and yielding.

When they did part, it was clear that what felt like the merest of moments had actually been tens of minutes. It was time well-spent in Glen's eyes and he regretted none of it, he brushed over her hair once more, the temptation to just forget about the rest and spend the evening lost in her was very strong, but he resisted it. He didn't want to, but in fact he had to, he touched her cheek,

"I think I can hear a certain bottle of wine calling your name."
 
Somehow Claire's pulses were racing at the sheer intensity of emotion, yet she was relaxed, savouring every lingering moment. The touch of his hands, the press of his body as they shared such intimacy was incredible. His lips lowered to hers and her response was instinctive, the kiss slowly sensual, the softest of murmurs escaping her as she surrendered to the all-consuming experience of kissing Glen.

When they finally drew apart, her eyes locked with Glen's, a soft quiver of reaction as his fingers toyed with her hair once more. She was playing the most romantic role in history, but until now Claire had never really understood how powerful a simple kiss could be. The intensity of her feelings for Glen truly stunned her.

"I think I can hear a certain bottle of wine calling your name."

That had been their original intention, which she had all but forgotten.

"I don't need wine ... "

She told him softly.

"... I'd much rather just stay here like this with you Glen..."

She admitted.
 
He smiled,

"We can do that."

He pushed her hair back from her face and softly ran his fingertips over her cheek, her jaw and down over her neck and down her back. His arm rested around her, his other hand rested on her lower back, his fingers slowly stroking over her back, his arms not moving. He smiled at her again,

"I think it may have slipped my mind. You're beautiful."

His smile grew wider,

"And of course you're a great woman."

He winked,

"Your looks aren't all there is to you."
 
"We can do that."

His soft agreement brought a smile to her face. She bit back a sigh as his hands moved in her hair once more, the sensation achingly intimate and exquisitely tender. She caught her breath as Glen trailed his fingertips over her skin, as if exploring, learning the feel of her; that light touch making her pulses race much more crazily than at the few attempts men had made in the past to 'make a pass' at her. Her own smile met Glen's as she lay with him mesmerised merely by his gentle touch.

"I think it may have slipped my mind. You're beautiful."

She blushed at his praise.

"And of course you're a great woman."

He winked,

She giggled not fully agreeing with his evaluation of her and in response to his playful wink as his eyes locked with hers.

"Your looks aren't all there is to you."

She laughed then and met his playfulness as she queried;

"No...? What more could there possibly be to me ...?"

She seemed to consider before continuing.

"Ahh ... my acting abilities, Mr Kane?"

She suggested.
 
"Well that could be seen as a start since that is what I have come to learn of you firstly. Then of course there is your gentle nature, your kind heart, your consideration for other."

He playfully reached up and tapped her forehead,

"You have brains and seem to want to think outside of that silly box that keeps everybody pinned to the conformation of society. I am willing to make a bet that once you get the chance you will do just that, think outside and beyond. Spread those wings and soar like an eagle."

He smiled and looked up at the stars, just happy to be laying down next to her and to share such a very intimate moment
 
"Well that could be seen as a start since that is what I have come to learn of you firstly. Then of course there is your gentle nature, your kind heart, your consideration for other."

She blushed at his compliments.

"You have brains and seem to want to think outside of that silly box that keeps everybody pinned to the conformation of society. I am willing to make a bet that once you get the chance you will do just that, think outside and beyond. Spread those wings and soar like an eagle."

She was fascinated at his evaluation of her and considered his words.

"I've never had the freedom to really think and act for myself ...."

She reflected honestly as they lay together.

"And ... right now ... there's nowhere else I want to be ... I always wanted to work in the theatre ... and always wanted to be free to be myself ... to find out what being myself meant ... "

She looked across at him feeling extremely contented.

"And being with you on top of all that ... what more could I ask for?"
 
He seemed to ponder her question,

"Well you could ask for a moon, a star, a diamond ring, I am sure there is more..."

He chuckled,

"But I do believe that we are both quite content now and need nothing more but each other's company."

He pointed out a few satellites,

"Their paths will cross, just look at that..."

He grinned as the two blips of light missed each other and kept on their separate routes,

"This would have been so confusing two hundred years ago. Carriages without horses, stars moving about in the sky."

He chuckled,

"And your family would be hiding in the bushes, making certain that I respect your chastity."
 
"Well you could ask for a moon, a star, a diamond ring, I am sure there is more..."

She laughed with him. She didn't want any of those things.

"But I do believe that we are both quite content now and need nothing more but each other's company."

She sighed, the sound confirming his belief.

"Sounds perfect to me ..."

She murmured watching the light play in the sky and looking at the satellites as they skidded across in a near- collision course.

"This would have been so confusing two hundred years ago.
Carriages without horses, stars moving about in the sky."


Glen's thoughts, his perspectives were always so... unique ... one of the many things she loved about him, she realised with sudden clarity.

"And your family would be hiding in the bushes, making certain that I respect your chastity."

She laughed.

"Even though we live together?"

She questioned with a faint blush.

"I think in the times you speak of, such a thing would be scandalous.
You'd be expected to make 'an honest woman' of me or ... well ... with my reputation shot what could I do in life ... except perhaps take to the stage?"


She giggled at their crazy conversation ... loving the easy banter between them ...
 
Back
Top