Illinois friends!

Crazy weather today. I was outside in the sun with no jacket or socks at 1:00, and now it is sleet-snowing.
I was drinking coffee in the garden today in a hoodie! No snow-sleet here, just rain, but I've heard the roads are pretty slippery...
 
weather

It was beautiful earlier. sleet last night, and the power went out this morning for a while. Country girl that I am, I lit a few oil lamps and made some cowboy coffee. I insist on a gas stove so I can still cook when the power goes out. Growing up out on old 150 between carlock and congerville, we got snowed in a lot and we had an electric stove...duh. I want to at least be able to boil some water!
 
Cold, gray, ugly day. I hate this climate, 7 months of the year is shit.
 
Ice and power outage

Well yesterday was....interesting. Power went out early and except for a few brief moments, stayed out all day until about 9pm. Got a little chilly in the house but I insist on having a gas stove for just this kind of situation. I was able to make cowboy coffee and water for hot tea all day and we had a hot dinner even without power. Got My Dad's Tom Swift collection put in Great Grandpa's old cabinet along with a few other old books. The built in bookcases (on the flip side of those wooden parts to each side of the library/living room doorway) are filled with hard cover books. The paperbacks will stay packed until we get a floor to ceiling book case built in there on one whole wall. Love that this house is so bright. Even the basement has lots of windows so I was up and down all day going through things. You know those boxes of stuff that were packed away when you live in one place and you just move the whole box with no clue what is in it to the new place. Fun. Found some beautiful glassware that I can actually display now that I have all these glass front built in cabinets. I remember packing it up when I was cleaning out grandma's house but since it was packed away so long ago I had forgotten about it. I will have to post a couple of pix to keep ya posted on what I've been up to.

Oh! almost forgot. Had an uninvited houseguest. The creepy little bugger scared the crap out of me when he thunked down and landed on the side table in the library right next to me! I think I have identified it as a type of assassin bug though I don't know exactly what variety. Oh the joys of country living. On that note, I kept telling my husband that something smelled like dead mouse when I opened the door to the north end of the basement. He thought I was nuts but I finally went and inspected things and sure enough, we had a mouse die next to the stairs as you head down to the old coal room. Yuck. I have to be pretty careful with mice because with the house being empty (though well maintained) for 4 years before we bought it, they had put out decon. Could be dangerous if one of my dogs eats a mouse contaminated with that stuff. I picked it all up and threw it away but who knows how much was drug off to nests throughout the property.

Hope everyone has a good day. I will be off to work in a bit but I will try to check in this evening. :kiss:
 

Attachments

  • 2013-01-12_12-36-42_210.jpg
    2013-01-12_12-36-42_210.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 2013-01-13_11-31-00_16.jpg
    2013-01-13_11-31-00_16.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 187
Love the bookcase!

That is a conifer seed bug. Might try to bite you if you're rough with it, but they can't really hurt people....their poker is really only good for eating sap.
 
Love the bookcases!

That is a conifer seed bug. Might try to bite you if you're rough with it, but it can't really hurt you. It's poker is really only good for eating sap.
 
Old houses

I grew up in a house like that, on the family farm. Bright, airy and so much room. I miss that...
 
old houses

Oh I know! I have spent my entire life since my parents divorced trying to get back to the country.
 
Here's a pic of my garden...I can't wait til spring so I can play in it again!
 
Last edited:
Another Illinoisian, south of Chicago as well.

The weather is quite insane, I agree. The only bright side of winter to me is a reduction in allergies from the corn fields.
 
Illinois Also

Smack dab in the middle, nice small town near a bigger town smack dab in the middle of 5 big towns. Widowed 56 year old guy looking for all kinds of friends for just about anything in the area. Message me if you might like to chat some.
 
Guess it is time to start the laundry

Or I'll just have to go naked...And it is waaaaay to freakin cold for that!
 
New thread

Ok still going to post here but I thought I'd start a new thread for small town country people no matter where they live in the world. Fun to meet new people this way.
 
oops did I do it again? lol. You know you adore me D. How's your mom? :kiss:


oh gryphon gryphon gryphon, tisk tisk, you know by my count that is now a 13 swat offense. what am i going to do with you, ;p lol your making my alter personality begin to grin and lick his lower lip.:devil:.. you know how much he enjoy giving out some discipline. Shes doing great still in Ga. unpacking boxes there. ;)

lol i may just have to find you and make you lay face down on your new seats and give you that discipline. hmm theres a nice little thought for you.:devil::devil: the question remains will it be skin to skin or will i let you keep those panties on...that is if you are wearing any,
 
Hee hee

D, you know I can't help being just a little bad. lol. And as far as swats go, you'll have to catch me first ;)
 
D, you know I can't help being just a little bad. lol. And as far as swats go, you'll have to catch me first ;)

ooh i love you being a little naughty, mm how naughty you can be.. lol

ooh you sound so confident that i wont catch you know i am resourceful, and not to mention i know where you live at. so i may not need to catch you merely make a house call, and you know if i have to chase you rather then you being a good girl and taking your swats i may have to change what you are spanked with. :devil:
 
Back
Top