cannot edit profile or log out

And now the contact us link is no longer working.... :-(

Reported on another thread and I tried. Same one I used last week. Dead now.

I doubt it will do good, but supposedly sending a PM to Laurel or Manu is the "best" way to go.

Complaining achieves nothing. Manu is supposedly working on something. If/when the fixes will be done, nobody knows.

It's a free site. You pay nothing. You receive nothing but what's onscreen. It's an imperfect and very popular site. It has survived while many biggies haven't. It works well enough.

Yeah, this profile lockout really sucks. I hate it. But hating it won't change it. So chill.

I got a notice yesterday that my (main site) profile had been updated and I know I didn't touch it, so they may be trying to so something like a refresh on profiles.

Another weird and irritating thing about this site is that you can't just log in and stay logged in. After only about 10 minutes of inactivity, you're logged out and have to log in again and again and again. Why? What possible reason can there be for this? I guess this must be a setting that the owners can change because once, for a couple of days, that didn't happen--I was able to just stay logged in. It sure would be easier to use Lit and would probably increase traffic if this could be changed.

:confused: Are you checking the "Keep me logged in" box?

I hardly ever have to log in. Maybe once every few months.

Another weird and irritating thing about this site is that you can't just log in and stay logged in. After only about 10 minutes of inactivity, you're logged out and have to log in again and again and again. Why? What possible reason can there be for this? I guess this must be a setting that the owners can change because once, for a couple of days, that didn't happen--I was able to just stay logged in. It sure would be easier to use Lit and would probably increase traffic if this could be changed.

I have the same issue. Has anyone tried it from a desktop pc as opposed to a mobile device. I was wondering, that might make a difference. I have only tried it from my mobile device.

I have the same issue. Has anyone tried it from a desktop pc as opposed to a mobile device. I was wondering, that might make a difference. I have only tried it from my mobile device.

I use a laptop and a desktop, still "no work".... :(

:confused: Are you checking the "Keep me logged in" box?

I hardly ever have to log in. Maybe once every few months.

The what?

I've never seen that, and I've just looked for it and don't see it anywhere. It seems like it would be in Edit Options, but it isn't.

Please tell me where it is.

Hmm... thought there was one on the main site, but there doesn't appear to be any longer.

If you log out while on the forum, in the upper right corner, there's a login box. There's a "Remember Me" checkbox there that you can click when you login from here.

Although, I can count the number of times I've used the forum to login on the fingers of one hand. It's worth a shot, but I almost always login from the main site, and it still never logs me out.

The what?

I've never seen that, and I've just looked for it and don't see it anywhere. It seems like it would be in Edit Options, but it isn't.

Please tell me where it is.

Keep forgetting you can't edit your posts in this section of the forum :p

My guess is that you're not allowing Lit to put a cookie on your system. If logging in from the forum with the "Remember Me" checkbox doesn't help, you're probably going to have to go into your browser security settings and whitelist Literotica, so whatever cookie you're missing is saved on your system.

I access from my laptop/desktop, I use firefox, I don't save cookies/my browser purges all cookies after I close it.

If you log in via the writer's access page, then it automatically keeps you logged in. If you keep a browser instance open (or if you have your browser set up that way) then closing one browser page will NOT log you out.

If you access the bulletin board and log in that way, (again) depending on how you have your browser set up, or which browser you use, then you need to check the "remember me" box to stay logged in (located next to where you type your user name). Also, the Literotica bulletin board, refreshes connections approximately every 15 minutes. If you don't click the "remember me" feature, the server will log you out, reducing loads placed on the server by reducing the number of idle users logged in.

If you open multiple pages, or multiple instances of pages, and if you don't have the "remember me" checked, then closing the browser that you logged in with, will log you out of all instances and pages.

However, if you use Chrome, which habitually saves cookies even when you say "don't save cookies" you will remain logged in, despite closing any number of pages, or all instances of browsers.

Saving cookies, is how some browsers, like Chrome, make internet navigation faster, because it retains pathways where you have traveled before. This is an exploit that some webmasters (and thereby websites) use to plot and predict which ads to post for each person, for them to get residual income. Saving cookies is also an exploit some hackers use to find and then attempt to access your web accounts (e-mails, Literotica, etc etc).

I think, some operating environments (like windows 10), i-phones, etc are fashioned to keep you logged in 24/7 which might make logging out either harder or pointless. They consider this to be a security feature.

Hmm... thought there was one on the main site, but there doesn't appear to be any longer.

If you log out while on the forum, in the upper right corner, there's a login box. There's a "Remember Me" checkbox there that you can click when you login from here.

Although, I can count the number of times I've used the forum to login on the fingers of one hand. It's worth a shot, but I almost always login from the main site, and it still never logs me out.

I clicked the "Remember Me" box and I've been logged in for 12 hours. Who new?

vBulletin is the software which runs Literotica. I too don’t understand why profiles can no longer be edited and why Edit Profile defaults to Edit Email & Password.

It's not the current version of the software.

It has been custom modified to interact with the main site, and thus cannot be upgraded with a simple button push.

The updates to the website infrastructure in preparation for a site-wide update have caused conflicts with some of the old code. To prevent larger issues ( I'm assuming, from posts at the time it first happened ) the ability to edit your profile was blocked by redirecting the link to another page.

vBulletin is the software which runs Literotica. I too don’t understand why profiles can no longer be edited and why Edit Profile defaults to Edit Email & Password.

It's not the current version of the software.

It has been custom modified to interact with the main site, and thus cannot be upgraded with a simple button push.

The updates to the website infrastructure in preparation for a site-wide update have caused conflicts with some of the old code. To prevent larger issues ( I'm assuming, from posts at the time it first happened ) the ability to edit your profile was blocked by redirecting the link to another page.
Does this mean that the inability to edit a profile is permanently disabled?

It means it's been disabled until such time as they can get to it.

The forum is the absolute last priority, as it should be. Upgrading the main site and fixing the bugs there has to be job one. That's where all the traffic is. The forum gets so little traffic that the subdomain doesn't even hit the list subdomains that traffic monitors display.

The number of people affected by any problems here is miniscule in the larger scheme of things. As much as people are complaining about the inability to edit their profile, the other, primary function of the forum ( making posts ) is humming along without issue.

My guess is that the modified, latest version of VBulletin will be what goes live, rather than an update to this one. Updating was always stated as the plan, and it makes more sense to modify and test that one behind the scenes than it does to fix this one, which is going on the scrap heap eventually anyway.

Does this mean that the inability to edit a profile is permanently disabled?

I cannot edit my profile when I get to the control panel and then edit profile it takes me to changing my password. How do I solve that problem?

I cannot edit my profile when I get to the control panel and then edit profile it takes me to changing my password. How do I solve that problem?

First, you could READ the thread you posted to where it's explained you cannot edit your profile.

Second, you CAN edit your signature area so it isn't so gigantically large and obnoxious.

OK Good news

There is now a link at the bottom of the page to the old control panel. Despite it telling you to proceed to the new control panel click on options and that will allow you to amend the old profile. I just fixed my problem.

This is for the story section I don't know about the forum

Back