New Poetry Recommendations

Wednesday's Review

.
.


Sneaking in the back door, it's Wednesday again. There are seven New Poems up for your reading pleasure.


Safe_Bet starts us off today with all the pretty pictures of sex & love in Give me. After going through all those nice descriptions, that last strophe evokes a yuck. Though it isn't written that way, I managed to read, "old, fat, and ugly."


sassynyc gives us her creation from the "freedom" thread, I Am. I can just feel those words dancing around me.


mick60a is a newbie with a first submission, Living Outside the Social Norm, that sounds as though its target is us Baby Boomers.


Finally, Willow Rain has a pair up today you shouldn't miss. Your Voice seems to project its own soft voice into which you can find yourself wrapped. And for any parent who's raised a child and survived (somehow) the teen years {you know the ones - thirteen going on thirty}, try out Thirteen and see how well you can relate.

That's it for today. As I sneak back on out that back door, remember to read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

Now - back to lurking for a bit...

.
.
 
Thursday

hello hello hello hello hello...

My hello echoes in the emptiness.
I'm pouting, people! Few of you read the reviews or comment on poems anymore! This must stop or I will have a fit. Seriously. I'm throwing a fit down and that baby is ready to go off! So go read some poetry. Now! :mad:

Okay, start by reading No lucky digit, no Kerouac by bluebell7
The title should be enough to pique your interest. The poem is only seven, brief, intriguing lines -- so take a minute to indulge yourself.

--------------------------------------------------

Sonnet to My Neverborn Babes
by Safe_Bet
Nicely written sonnet. A very emotional piece. :rose:

----------------------------------------------------

Love Me
by Jack123456
I'm iffy about this poem, but there's something interesting about it. Give it a read and see what you think.

----------------------------------------------------
 
sounds like

hello hello hello hello hello...

My hello echoes in the emptiness.
I'm pouting, people! Few of you read the reviews or comment on poems anymore! This must stop or I will have a fit. Seriously. I'm throwing a fit down and that baby is ready to go off! So go read some poetry. Now! :mad:

Okay, start by reading No lucky digit, no Kerouac by bluebell7
The title should be enough to pique your interest. The poem is only seven, brief, intriguing lines -- so take a minute to indulge yourself.

--------------------------------------------------

Sonnet to My Neverborn Babes
by Safe_Bet
Nicely written sonnet. A very emotional piece. :rose:

----------------------------------------------------

Love Me
by Jack123456
I'm iffy about this poem, but there's something interesting about it. Give it a read and see what you think.

----------------------------------------------------

a republican thing ....or was it democratic...must be in the voting....
I get it....lets vote...
 
There are nine new poems posted this Friday the fifth day of September.

Wicked Eve starts the reading off with her view of a dark southern night. Sneak down the back alley with Eve and her rough lover in this poet's earthy poem, Wrapped Around His Wrist.

There's some really good first poems out there, too. Stop by and give these new posters some encouragement. If confident writers don't feedback on what makes a piece successful or a flop, how do we expect to be gifted with excellent poetry in the future? Good writing takes practice; practice without good direction makes well-practiced slush.

We can only harvest what we sow. Go out and scatter some poetic device seeds. Have a good weekend doing it.

If you read a poem from the new poems list that you feel should be mentioned on this thread, please share it here.
 
I am sorry I am a bit late with this review. It's still Saturday somewhere.

There were, unless I am deceived, seventeen new poems today, which is not so much but quite a bit for a Saturday—but including a few by brand new poets: kimala, MickNasty, LadyLoveLola, and Brother Cavil.

Firstly, I must comment upon WickedEve's Dust Colony. It is a wonderful poem, read it. If I may dare to be critical, the only thing I did not care for was the period at the end of the fourth stanza (although I am a little uncertain about the how well the final line of the third stanza reads—though it is of course necessary to the form; it almost evokes a different sense of voice from the rest of the poem to me, as though one were more aware of repeating oneself—though in re-reading it as I'm writing this, the final line has that same feel). I say again: read it.

Secondly, I must mention Patience by Safe_Bet. It is a lovely poem, reminiscent of a more classical style, and to which I think many can relate. One hopes that the sentiment is true. There are a few minor copy-editing issues, I think, but overall it is a worthy poem for a perhaps too familiar feeling.

As always, I encourage you to read and comment, and add a review of your own if you should like, or if you feel it for some reason necessary.
 
Last edited:
Three poems this Sunday. All with some merit.

First one is the top notch of the day. Full Contact Crochet by AuthorityGriffith is well balanced, excellently phrased and delightfully delivered erotic poetry.

In This Silicon Stone Age, seannelson goes on a rant against, well, prtty much everything. And the frustration breaks through really well.

Impersonal Greeting by BOSTONFICTIONWRITER, is simple to a point, but communicates it's message effectively. I think there's more "meat" to it than it's first and so far only commenter sees.
 
Monday, September 8th

Bask in the imagery painted in today's 8 new poems.

Take a trip to the Pacific Northwest with seannelson in An Ode to Oregon. Though it seems to be somewhat autobiographical, it builds vivd images of the nature and city life of Oregon.

If Egypt is more your style, perhaps you'd delight visions of Ozymandias' city in Bridges to Yesterday by Nigel Debonnaire. Maybe you would enjoy the delightful images of small-town life in The Small Town Fair. Dog Day and Driving are Nigel Debonnaire's other contributions to today's bouquet of imagery. Each of these poems has strength in visual description. I strongly recommend you take a few minutes to read them.

There are definitely other new poems that are well worth the read. These were simply my picks. Please take some time to read and comment on each of today's new poems.
 
September 9, 2008

There are eleven new poems posted today. Here are my favorites:

There are two poems from our own unpredictablebijou. Both Chronology and Mothers and Daughters show Bijou's careful construction, use of strong imagery and thematic cohesiveness. Chronology is more the type of poem I've come to associate with Bij's poetic "style," with it's myth-story references and wild sock-em imagery. I think I prefer the more pared down Mothers and Daughters though, with its quieter theme of generational tanglement and its sober observation that sometimes we are more united in the ways we disappoint our parents and the pride we take in being unlike them. Both are very, very good. :)

And take a look at PurrfectKitten22's S-laden Sexual Supplement, which strings together a poem using words of only one letter. It's not the most sophisticated poem of its kind, but it's an interesting exercise to study and practice for any serious poet to try (although, yes, "strings," "sophisticated" and "serious" are all me attempting to be um silly). It's good way to discipline oneself in finding just the right word.

These are just my favorites today. If you have other poems you'd like to recommend, please do so in this thread. And please take a few minutes to read and, where applicable, vote and comment.

:rose:
 
September 9, 2008

I certainly agree with all of Angeline's selections. Excellent poems, all.

I'd also add Completion to the list, by a relatively new poster Ainjill. It's a nice piece about the different aspects of love.
 
There are two poems from our own unpredictablebijou. Both Chronology and Mothers and Daughters show Bijou's careful construction, use of strong imagery and thematic cohesiveness. Chronology is more the type of poem I've come to associate with Bij's poetic "style," with it's myth-story references and wild sock-em imagery. I think I prefer the more pared down Mothers and Daughters though, with its quieter theme of generational tanglement and its sober observation that sometimes we are more united in the ways we disappoint our parents and the pride we take in being unlike them. Both are very, very good. :)
If you haven't read these poems, please do so. I think you'll regret missing these two.
 
Wednesday's Review

.
.


Another Wednesday and a light listing of New Poems — only nine. I found, on reading them, that WickedEve had already commented and her comments preety much reflected my reactions on the three that caught my eye.


Safe_Bet offers up a list poem in Words. While it's not one of her better poems, there seems to be something compelling about the listing that makes me want to connect the dots or fill in the blanks.


woz8822 has a rather unusual poem in Reflecting Maya. What is unusual in this poem is that the lines in the second strophe are a mirror image of the lines in the first strophe. That is, the lines in the second strophe are in reverse order of those in the first. It's a quirky gimmick that seems to work here.


Finally, rachlou has a nice autumnal poem in Death in October. I don't know that the title need be changed, but I think that that second line is superfluous; there are so many references to the approaching cold and chill that it's rather clear what happened to the wasps.


That's it for today for me. Before I head on off into the setting sun, let me remind you once again to read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

My parting thought for today - if you can't behave, have fun doing so; if you're having fun, you must be behaving.

.
.
 
Thursday

Looks like the poetry day belongs to PrincessErin and ramonathompson, with these two poets giving us 13 of the 20 new poems.

Ghosts by Tokuqin
Rather interesting poem. The problems with it seem to be because English isn't Tokuquin's first language and some of his characters aren't ghosts.

Frog Princess by Safe_Bet
The final line is what makes this poem.

My FAVORITE of the day is The Quest by MickNasty. Sure, it uses a simple rhyme scheme (AABB) but it's well written and fun.
Here are the opening lines:
Hog’s muffled thunder splits morning peace
Leather on denim, chains on my feet
 
Saturday

Yesterday was a poemless day, but there are a number of new poems today. A few of which I cannot but feel were meant by Fate to post yesterday: alas, 'twas not so. There are several new poets this day, Darkwr1t3r and bikebum1975, as well as a second poem by RaLaWrites.

There were several poems which were not quite to my taste or style, but which nevertheless I felt showed some potential or otherwise inspired some interest. Blind Date by MickNasty is one. It has, as a certain commenter has already suggested, a subtler use of rhyme and I think this pairs with its approach to the topic. !!!Fuck It to The Moon!!! by seannelson is a melodramatic rant, but interesting in some respects, and not only for the author's idiosyncratic use of exclamation marks (I must say that I was not aware of Pilate's apparent portliness). I also liked the opening lines to It Only Happens Once by Darkwr1t3r, though I find the poem a bit overdone.

Of course, there are two poems by WickedEve that, as usual, are worth reading. They are quite different from each other: Bruised Thigh, in spite of the name, is actually quite gentle on the surface, while Reaping seems a bit darker—but underneath, perhaps, there is an edge to the former and a softness to the latter. Or maybe not. Perhaps I am making things up as I go: I feel like being difficult.

As always, read, if you should like, and comment, if you wish.
 
Sunday, September 14

Tree poems on my to-read list today.


sassynyc wraps sex is some seductive lines, and an embeeded acronym, in Carnal

Deceptive_Appearance writes a three word poem. And a one word title. And manages to say quite a lot, and even get a laugh out of me, with Castration.

champagne2008 gives us Lanced, a strong phrasing for a well realized and poignant metaphor.


There were a whole bunch of others too, that might tickle your fancy. So don't just go by my aquired taste by all means, read 'em all.
 
Monday, September 15th

There are 14 new poems today. My Internet connection is impaired today for some unknown reason. Therefore, I will just hurry mention my picks for today. Feel free to add your own.

WickedEve gives us two poems, A Model of Henry Dying and Leaving the Funeral. They are varied perspectives of mortality. The first one is a subtle, morose protrait of grief. The second is a more obvious, almost biting portrayal.

I sincerely appreciated Tàmhas Faolán and Findabhair Eavan by fire child. Not many people know that I have a twin who was stillborn. I feel that loss. People don't understand when someone feels the loss of a loved one who was stillborn, aborted, or miscarried. That doesn't mean that the grief isn't real, and I think this poem effectively shows that.

The Reverend by UnderYourSpell is my favorite pick for today. I love it's mind-teasing, provocative nature.

Please take some time to read and comment on today's poems.
 
There are 9 new poems today.

Steam Shy lets us take a ride on the Reading with Eve and her hobo steam train jumpers. She takes us through tragedy and dereliction to end up in the bone yard with Joe Henry's steamer. I can hear the whistle blow as the era comes to an end on a siderail.

In a second poem posted today, Looking Back Down The Road she explores the back country where old vehicles and memories wind up abandoned in a bit of scrub land that can't be farrowed for crops. I'm loving your Southern bytes Eve, keep delving into the turn of the last century and dragging us off the beaten path. These poems are wonderful.

Nigel Debonnaire pens a different take on a visit to a date's house in his A Nightmare. See if you agree that there's gotta be a better title for this poem.

Jamison shares his Grief Like a River. Apart from my thoughts that it should be pared down a little more, I can honestly say that this poem is an excellent illustration of the agonies of mourning.

There are more recognizably good poems today but these are the ones that I found exceptional enough to encourage you all to go and read. If you think there are poems recently posted that should have some attention, please post your own review here. Enjoy the remains of the day ;).
 
Just want to say how wonderful it is that you regular reviewer-guys save us the trouble of having to go and hunt out the good poems from the plethora of dreck one would otherwise have to wade through. You know, on those rough days when you just don't have the time to taste everything that comes floating by. So thank you.

I don't mean to preempt my favorite chap in the poetry forum, LeBroz, with this early morning offering but, well, I could't resist after I saw this ticklish poem:

Nigel Debonnaire returns today with another of his unexpected perspectives to challenge your complacency. Bikini leads to some pretty interesting examples of some people's need to embellish the truth. The poem is about a lie that has an uncanny resemblance to a truth.

This next one is the very opposite of ticklish—it is unmitigated delight:

For Thomas Eakins, with Gratitude by Cal Y. Pygia is a really pleasant surprise. Really pleasant. Before I actually started reading the lines, I hesitated thinking it was just more of that stuffy imitation-of-great-poetry stuff many beginners feel compelled to write, but I'm sure that, as I read, my pupils must have widened in astonishment at the flawless command of expression that made this rather long poem seem almost too short by the time it ended.

The rhythm seemed, to my ear, absolutely flawless line after line after meaningful line. The subject matter of this poem is hardly ever dealt with so effectively, poetically speaking, and the profane loses its profanity to gain unquestioned dignity in Pygia's consumate phrasing. A truly outstanding poem and he has not enabled comments where I can celebrate his achievement in my usual verbose manner. If you read nothing else this month, read this.
 
Last edited:
Wednesday's Review

.
.

And so, here it is, another Wednesday. What! Again?! Damn, the time flies when you're...well, you get the picture.

There are eleven New Poems posted today; here are my thoughts on those that caught my eye.

Nigel Debonnaire leads off with a light little piece, Bikini, that's inspired by a photoshopped image of a certain Vice Presidential candidate. He even includes a link to the image, in case anyone might have missed it. Mustn't take our politics (or politicians) too seriously.


Remec tells of every poet's most dreaded experience in Blocked. The title says it all.


And finally, MickNasty has three poems posted today. Man in the Mirror sounds like an older man, looking in the mirror, wondering what the woman in his life sees in him. Picking a nit here, it could use a bit of punctuation in spots. Online Lovers is a bit long and wordy. But it does have a little twist to it that I won't spoil by revealing it here. You'll just have to read it for yourself. Death Goes Hunting, a vampire themed poem {female vampire, male victim}, is by far the best of the three he's got posted today and may even be the best of the eleven of today's postings. Give it a shot. It uses some rather creative language.

That's it for me today. Once again, let me admonish y'all to read, vote, comment ~ it's the least you can do. Above all, comment ~ a fair exchange for the pleasure of reading free poetry.

When next we meet, it will be Autumn. What happened to the summer? It was such an anemic thing this year.

.
.
 
Thursday September 18

new poems

Give The Burden of Vision by Cal Y. Pygia a read. I won't comment on the poem in this thread, since his comments are turned off. You could try emailing him feedback, though.

You really need to read this one: Breasts Are People, Too by Cal Y. Pygia


---------------------------------------


Halloween by Netzach is a very good and smart erotic poem. And no, it's not a Halloween Boo! kind of poem.

Crazy-maker
crossed star
forlorn and exposed
a man whose watch fell from a pocket
onto the floor, where everyone saw it



---------------------------------------


Strange by MickNasty
Since Mick is writing some wonderful poetry, I think he needs a more dignified name than Nasty. Though I do have a taste for nastiness.
Anyway, in his poem, you move from "If bandoshelly gertz hogs served us tea" to "I watched a grieving family just today."
Keep writing Mr. Nasty and keep getting better!


---------------------------------------


Morning by bronyaur67 is a poem of just four lovely lines.


---------------------------------------
 
WickedEve, in dignified modesty, has omitted to mention her own fascinating poem Because I Have the Power

I have just spent a fabulous half hour with her poem and been stimulated immensely by the combined effect of her poem and the very perceptive Tzara's commentary on her poem. The dynamic created in my own mind by the minds of poet and literary critic, in this instance, prompted me to observe in my own commentary (before I even realized it was a new submission for today that today's reviewer had left neglected thus allowing me the honour of rescuing it) that this poem: ". . . is a fascinating example of the possibility that imagery does not have to be concrete but can be just as powerfully vivid when it is implied." Read the poem!
 
Last edited:
WickedEve, in dignified modesty, has omitted to mention her own fascinating poem Because I Have the Power

I have just spent a fabulous half hour with her poem and been stimulated immensely by the combined effect of her poem and the very perceptive Tzara's commentary on her poem. The dynamic created in my own mind by the minds of poet and literary critic, in this instance, prompted me to observe in my own commentary (before I even realized it was a new submission for today that today';s reviewer had left neglected thus allowing me the honour of rescuing it) that this poem: ". . . is a fascinating example of the possibility that imagery does not have to be concrete but can be just as powerfully vivid when it is implied." Read the poem!

I want to second your recommendation of Eve's poem. It is fascinating and the comments it has prompted so far are just as intelligent. I am truly glad that Tzara and lorencino and so many others take the time to teach me on a volunteer basis. This is a good place.

:)
 
This Friday brings us 12 new poems.

First to strike my fancy is sassynyc's Luna y Sol. This is a poem full of a wonderful metaphor for lovers and an envious mate. I think the use of pronouns could be a bit more restricted, but their presence doesn't mar the poem, it's very slightly distracting.

My favourite of the day is WickedEve's resurrected, To Prattle With Madness. Just look at the imagery inside this metaphor:
She lives in the Bible,
with devils beneath her skirt,
a banshee when they tickle her.
Now you know why.

MickNasty has a few poems on the list today and there are a couple by some less known poets. It was a decent day for poetry.

As always, if you think a poem from the New Poems List should be reviewed, please write one and share it through a post to this thread. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and do keep the autumnal equinox in mind as a theme for a poem Monday.
 
Back
Top