What are you fuckers reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter Mathiessen Shadow Country on the train.

Jack Vance Languages of Pao before sleep.

Sean Wilentz Chants Democratic is my eat your vegetables/"serious reading" book which I mainly read sunday mornings.
 
Peter Mathiessen Shadow Country on the train.

Jack Vance Languages of Pao before sleep.

Sean Wilentz Chants Democratic is my eat your vegetables/"serious reading" book which I mainly read sunday mornings.

That reminds me, I picked up a one volume omnibus edition of The Dying Earth in a charity shop the other day for a quid.
 
whats the cover illustration

vance_zpsd4aaab7c.jpg
 
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - by Jan Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith :cattail:
 
Currently...

A Storm of Swords AKA Book 3 of Game of Thrones

and

Musicophilia - a series of essays by the wonderful Dr. Oliver Sacks involving music's impact on the brain

and

Jesus and the Lost Goddess - The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians - by Timothy Freke Peter Gandy

and

as always, many of the stories here on Lit and at the Kristen Archives!
 
I am reading an absolute cracker of a book. Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe. It's a proper old fashioned English ghost story. A bit Woman In Black?

I just wish it was thicker, I'm trying to eek it out a bit. Perfect for reading by the fire on a winter's afternoon.
 
Still slogging through Shadow Country on the train.

Took a detour for some brain candy and read John McPhee's Uncommon Carriers in about a day.

Reading Jack Vance Many Worlds of Magnus Ridolph before sleep.

Serious reading--had to backtrack to finish Philip Wylie's Generation of Vipers before continuing with Chants Democratic because although I skip around alot, I'm also kind of anal about finishing things.
 


I'm still at it ( http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?p=50670165&highlight=Manchester#post50670165 )— 205 pages into the massive 1,053 pages (excluding preface, notes, bibliography and index) of:

The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill, Defender Of The Realm (1940-1965) by William Manchester and Paul Reid. New York, NY 2012.




I'm good for 15-20 pages a night; it's "lights out" thereafter. Not only is it a good read, it also serves to eliminate the need to do arm curls. Holding the book aloft for 45 minutes is the calorie-burning equivalent.


 
Oooh there's a new Robert Plant biog out on Amazon. How the fuck did I miss that?
 
For the last year or so I've been devouring hard crime noir, from Dennis Lehane back to 1930 and W.R.Burnett's LITTLE CAESAR.

But this week I bought a copy of Desmond Morris' DUTCH, Reagans bio. Morris didn't like Reagan (I didn't like Reagan) but his problem with Reagan was Morris' sense of entitlement. I mean, Reagan was the poor son of a drunk and a blackface minstrel performer. Reagan attended Pixley Hooterville Commuter College, and became President. Morris was always rich, attended the best private schools, toured Europe, and became a mediocre perfesser. Its not fair. Morris could relate to Teddy Roosevelt's wealth and LET THEM EAT CAKE noblesse oblige. Morris notes how close he lived to Reagan in Chicago, I COULD HAVE GONE TO SEE HIM IN DAD'S BENZ.
 
Rainbows End
by Vernor Vinge
3.71 of 5 stars 3.71 · rating details · 6,830 ratings · 558 reviews
Robert Gu is a recovering Alzheimer's patient. The world that he remembers was much as we know it today. Now, as he regains his faculties through a cure developed during the years of his near-fatal decline, he discovers that the world has changed and so has his place in it. He was a world-renowned poet. Now he is seventy-five years old, though by a medical miracle he looks much younger, and he’s starting over, for the first time unsure of his poetic gifts. Living with his son’s family, he has no choice but to learn how to cope with a new information age in which the virtual and the real are a seamless continuum, layers of reality built on digital views seen by a single person or millions, depending on your choice. But the consensus reality of the digital world is available only if, like his thirteen-year-old granddaughter Miri, you know how to wear your wireless access—through nodes designed into smart clothes—and to see the digital context—through smart contact lenses.
 
I'm kickin' it old school with some Hemingway (The Old Man and the Sea) and Steinbeck (East of Eden).

I believe that there is one story in the world, and only one... Humans are caught—in their lives, in their thoughts, in their hungers and ambitions, in their avarice and cruelty, and in their kindness and generosity too—in a net of good and evil... There is no other story. A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well—or ill?

-John Steinbeck, East of Eden
 
I'm kickin' it old school with some Hemingway (The Old Man and the Sea) and Steinbeck (East of Eden).

I believe that there is one story in the world, and only one... Humans are caught—in their lives, in their thoughts, in their hungers and ambitions, in their avarice and cruelty, and in their kindness and generosity too—in a net of good and evil... There is no other story. A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well—or ill?

-John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Excellent picks!
 
When I go to bed tonight I will be starting Pratchett's Raising Steam which, for some bizarre reason, isn't released in the US until April next year.
 
took a break from study materials to read "Gone Girl" by gillian flynn, almost done.

like most popular best sellers, its horribly over-rated
 
Feeling masochistic, a few months ago I decided to reread the LoTR trilogy.

Still struggling, but the end is in sight, fewer than 100 pages to go (not counting appendix A though... whatever).
 
Flicking between, The Road Not Taken, How Britain narrowly missed a revolution, by Frank McLynn, and The Famine Plot, England's Role in Ireland's Greatest Tragedy, by Tim Pat Coogan.

On the lighter side I too will be starting Pratchet's Raising Steam.

Or the sillier answer would be to say Lit.
 
took a break from study materials to read "Gone Girl" by gillian flynn, almost done.

like most popular best sellers, its horribly over-rated

Someone at work loaned that to me. It was ok but both characters were annoying. I have to really like at least one character to love a book.
 
Flicking between, The Road Not Taken, How Britain narrowly missed a revolution, by Frank McLynn, and The Famine Plot, England's Role in Ireland's Greatest Tragedy, by Tim Pat Coogan.

On the lighter side I too will be starting Pratchet's Raising Steam.

Or the sillier answer would be to say Lit.

Is the Coogan one a good read?
 
I'm trying to decide what to read next. I have The Book Thief (Marcus Zusak), This is Where I Leave You (Jonathon Tropper), The Storyteller (Jodi Picoult), Night Film (Marisha Pessl), Sharp Objects (Gillian Flynn), The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt), and Burial Rites (Hannah Kent). Currently finishing up Storm Front (John Sandford).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top