A Genius And His Shadow (Closed)

Mayu

Ghost Of Who I Was
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Posts
22,651
It had been going on five years since the death of Rose, she was her best friend along with her other best friend Otto Octavius. It had been a very hard time for Otto. She had almost finish college, and was going to check on her friend. A professor was talking to her about his work and wanted to see it. So she decided to go to him, besides only time they talked was on a phone. So she went in with a key he gave her. And then headed inside, she removed her jacket and bag and sighed a bit. Walking up to some stairs she stopped at the top and could almost still see where she died, in her head. But she heard someone and looked up. Veronica noticed some of Otto's work and looked it over, her eyes went wide seeing what he was doing. Heading to his work room she grabbed some goggles and went in. Looking at him with a machine to his back, she smiled some and watched quietly and slowly. But when they looked at one another she smiled. And she removed the goggles and put them on the table beside her. Veronica walked up to him and smiled at Otto and was really happy for him.

Veronica knew that he had to give his presentation to many people tomorrow and V was going to be there for him, like she had been for many years. V had graduated and she was here to ask if he wanted a lab partner, she was pretty smart. A genius in her own right, but no where the brains like him. She would bow before his brain any day of the week. But who knew what would happen, but right now he mattered to her. "Seems that you are ready for tomorrow, I'll be there with Bells on" She laughed some looking at him with a huge grin on her face.
 
Otto Octavius

He smiled at Veronica and lifted his darkened goggles and let them hang from his neck,

"Ah Veronica, so good to see you."

Of course many things had happened since the alteration between him and Parker. The events changed his life and it allowed him to become master over the tentacled arms that was now welded to his spine and spinal column. At first the pain was what gave the AI a foothold in his mind, but now he was firmly in control. He sobered as he recalled his last presentation,

"Let us hope that there will be no mishap this time, last time cost me my life and my reputation..."

He was quiet for a moment, there was much more that he lost that day, but there was no need to bring that up again
 
V smiled looking up at him, and placed her hand on his shoulder shaking his head. "Otto it didn't take away everything in your life, I know I may not be much. But at least you have me, someone who will always believe in you no matter what" She said kindly. Veronica loved him very much, and it almost killed her when he talked like that. Sometimes age could stop relationships, if you were anal about that kind of thing. Sighing softly she carefully wrapped her arms around him, she wished she could say those three words that have been wanting to leave her lips. For a long time, but afraid. Some because of her age, but also because she knew how much he loved his wife Rose. Pulling away a bit she smiled.
 
Otto Octavius

He smiled at Veronica and returned the hug,

"Now now, it is not that I complain about what I have, I am more complaining that it took so long to rebuild myself so that I can be able to stand in front of people again and show them the future of energy."

He patted her back gently and the tentacled arms moving about to perform their chores as they spoke.
 
She smiled some, Veronica watched him work. She wasn't to sure what to say to him, watching his arms going all over the place. She looked at his notes and read them, she grinned at the calculations. She was having a lot of thoughts, and put them down sighing silently. "I'm glad you want me to be there tomorrow, I like being your unofficial lab partner" She said softly, no one knew they were working together.
 
"I am just glad that you have agreed to be there, your problrms will start the moment that they see you helping me..."

He scoffed and one of the tentacles shook like a fist before returning to it's duties,

"Fools, they are the so-called best minds of this era, but they refuse to understand that with my energy source you will have no need to keep killing the Earth to find ways of heat, light and transport."
 
She smiled some looking at him "Like I care what they think" She said simply. "I'm proud to be here with you, but most importantly proud of you" Leaning over she kissed him on the cheek and smiled at him. She removed her jacket and hung it up. "I think what you have created will save the earth, help it's scars to heal" She said softly.
 
Otto Octavius

Her kiss on his cheek had caught him by surprise, it was not something he had thought would happen. He focused on his work and nodded,

"Yes, but then again if it falls in the wrong hands the atom bomb will be made to look like a match flame next to the sun."

He sighed,

"Why is it that always there is not only new ways to save the planet, but also ways to use that exact same methods to destroy it."

He chuckled,

"Why ask if I know the answer? As long as human nature reigns suppreme we will always drive towards our self-destruction."
 
She smiled some and placed her hand on his shoulder

"Except we are not like that, Rose wasn't. She knew how I felt toward you, it's hard keeping up with you, your a great man and your work matters. Ive learned a lot from you, and will continue to as well" She said kindly.

"I have to admit, I knew a man that almost destroyed this city. A man who betrayed my knowledge, I new Norman Osborn. I tried to get him to stop what he was doing, we need men trying to save our world not destroy it. "

She looked down "That's part of the reason why I've been around, but most of the reason is because I care for you. You have principles, Norman only had dead lines"
 
Otto Octavius

He smiled at her,

"Yes the Green Goblin, strange what a serum can do to a man, but then again we saw what AI can do in a person's mind."

The arms turned as if to regard him and he patted them affectionately,

"Now now, we talked about that and we are now working towards the same goal without trying to kill everybody."

The arms shivered and then went on with their work, he turned to face Veronica,

"So then shall we run a test just to make sure that everything is prepared and ready for tomorrow?"
 
She didn't pick up her head but she nodded.

"You didn't let them control you Otto, because you have someone to keep you sane. " She raised her head and turned looking at him.

Watching him patting one of the arms and smiled, not many would stand up to him and actually reaching for one and patted one of the arms.

"Alright guys, let's do this" She smiled at Otto She turned on her heels and walked back to the check list and grabbed a set of goggles.

She punched in the calculations and put down the board on his desk and slipped on the goggles.

"Ok Doc it's ready"
 
Last edited:
Otto Octavious

"Good"

He slipped his goggles on just in case and the arms went to work around him to do little tweaks and the sensors in the arms actually kept him up to date with the meters and readouts as he looked at the very pronounced glow.

"We are now at critical point, no turning back from here."

He hesitated even when everything was running way below danger levels, then he allowed the rods to dip into the energy source and extract energy, feeding only small portions back into the glowing ball just to sustain it.
 
She smiled some watching him work, and heard what he said about getting to the point of no return. Before her very eyes she saw the ball of energy form and become slowly bigger and bigger. It seemed stable, it was a very happy day indeed. Veronica looked up at Otto.

"Looks like we got it this time"

She said to him, it was an amazing feeling to have done this. It was so perfect, she just wanted to hug him. Well she would after he was off it, she crossed her arms and sighed silently.
 
Otto Octavious

"I hope the city's power grid is ready for the extra electricty we are going to feed into it."

He grinned as his life's work worked perfectly the third time around,

"I think that you are right Veronica, we have it this time."

He stood there and kept a careful watch on everything, making sure that nothing went wrong at all.
 
V nodded at him, when the machine powered down, she smiled the experiment was a success and everything was ready for tomorrow, where she would introduce it to people.

"Perfectly done Otto" She said very happy for him, taking his hand in her own she squeezed it lovingly to him.
 
Otto Octavious

He gave her hand a squeeze and smiled, removing his goggles,

"I will be nearby and make certain that nothing goes wrong this time."

He smiled and pulled her into his arms, giving her a tight hug,

"You are like an angel to me Veronica, I don't know if I could ever repay you."
 
She smiled as he took her in his arms, looking up into his eyes she couldn't help but smile at him.

"I have to admit, after the accident I thought I was going to loose you. I remember how you broke out of the hospital, but Ive known you for years and hoped t hat was enough and it was. But my voice brought you back, your a very good man Otto since that time Ive grown as a person to never back down and loose hope."

Looking down for a moment she remembered that day as it scared her like it did him. Placing her hands on his chest she enjoyed the embrace he was sharing with her, it was a wonderful feeling. When she pulled away she had her Ipod set up by his computer she turned it on and smiled.

"Many people don't understand why I stay by your side, why I'm not afraid of you. But no one knows you like I do, Ive never been good with expressing myself. But I know how to, to you" The melody filled the lab

Looking down for a moment as she began to softly sing, it maybe stupid but this was how she could express herself.

"Deliver me, out of my sadness
Deliver me, from all of the madness
Deliver me, courage to guide me
Deliver me, strength from inside me.."

But she was able to pick up her head and smiled happily

"All of my life I've been in hiding
Wishing there was someone just like you
Now that you're here, now that I've found you
I know that you're the one to pull me through..

Deliver me, loving and caring
Deliver me, giving and sharing
Deliver me, the cross that I'm bearing

All of my life I was in hiding
Wishing there was someone just like you
Now that you're here, now that I've found you
I know that you're the one to pull me through.."

She moved back over to him and took his hands in her own.

"Deliver me
Deliver me
Oh deliver me

All of my life I was in hiding
Wishing there was someone just like you
Now that you're here, now that I've found you
I know that you're the one to pull me through

Deliver me
Oh deliver me
Won't you deliver me..."


When it went silent she smiled "Your important to me because you have always looked out for me, you have always been a very selfless man. And Ive always believed in you, and always will." She smiled lovingly.

Deliver Me
 
He listened to her sing and it struck him that he had never before actually noticed what a pretty woman she had turned into. Sure him in at 34 should have notice, but not all in life is cut and dried.

He gave her a friendly smile and squeezed her hands gently,

"Perhaps in time I will be able to do just that what you asked."

The but was left unsaid: But not yet
 
She smiled some listing to him carefully and nodded some, she understood with everything that has happened lately. Reaching up she kissed his cheek, and grinned happily. It was a wonderful moment between them, and she wouldn't let it go. Walking over to the desk she put away her notes and thought for a moment. She took out something and held it to the light, it was something Norman had wanted her to have if something happened to him.

It looked like a Crystal just shaped in a small circular object "Know what this is?" She asked Otto as she held it to the light for him to see.
 
He peeked at the object, looking at the intricate work done to it,

"Seems like a mechanical device worked into a crystal, how it works I can not say as I have only my equipment here."

He frowned, he did not like the fact that something like that was given to her,

"Maybe after tomorrow we can try and analize it?"
 
She looked at him, she knew how it worked all to well.

"You don't need to analyze it Otto, I already know what it is and how to use it. It would make your invention deadly, Norman gave it to me because he didn't want his son to have it. Because he knew the power of this could corrupt anyone, if we were to use it as a power source on your machine it could destroy the whole city. And of course we don't want that.
So..."

She walked over to him.

"I think we should destroy it, Ive tried to already but I don't have the strength to do it. But the AI is strong enough" She put it in Otto's hand.
 
He looked from the crystal to her and shook his head,

"Not here my dear, not even with the tentacles. They were also invented by me and if what you say is true then they will also go haywire. No we will need another method, one that does not involve me or any of my inventions."
 
She looked at it "Man this thing is a real pain in the ass" She laughed some. "Could always put it in cement, but then again someone could find it. Why would something like this have to be made? really" She was glad Otto knew enough about it. "Thankfully you know what it can do to you, id never forgive myself if something happened to you two, Ive seen the AI as a separate being hence the two comment" She smiled.
 
"Ah no they are by now as much part of me as I am a part of them."

He smiled slightly,

"Of course we started off as seperate, but with them being fused to me, they are like an exstension of me"
 
She smiled some and nodded.

"I know Otto, Ive always had an open mind and I accept you like I always have" She kissed his cheek and smiled happily.
 
Back
Top