The "Fuck you cancer!" thread

Best wishes, SirWinston, as well as anyone else dealing with cancer and its treatment. FWIW, SW, I don't see you trying to take over the thread.

:rose:

PS, as usual, FYC, you rat bastard.
Thank you.

Sir W, I wish you all the very best with the treatments. A friend recently went through chemo and said that beetroot juice helps the nausea no end. He is now 3 years clear of a very aggressive lung cancer.

I need to add a huge fuck you muscular distrophy. A 19yr old that I work with has been diagnosed this week. He just got accepted into college. It isn't fair.
I will definitely look into beetroot juice. Nausea is *not* my friend, never has been.

I'll add my enthusiastic "FYMD" to yours.

hijacking, smyjacking!
I think we don't mind. I know me, myself and I don't.I asked them. Oh, they all say Hi, fuck you cancer, and they are doing some obscure prayer ceremony for you....i hope it doesn't involve animal sacrafice...i hate that....they never clean up.
Kick its ass, SW.
Thank you, and I'll add my no animal sacrifice wishes to yours.

.... Today's sermon is called "Is posting about one's cancer treatments, and associated struggles, thoughts, worries, triumphs and general personal fuckyouness tantamount to "hijacking" the thread?"

I have done a great deal of prayerful reflection on this, and I have a rather comprehensive and verbose sermon to deliver today:

"No."

(I know this stretch with the chemo and rad and the driving and the separation will be tough. Maybe a McDonald's run before any potential nausea?)
Such a moving and articulate sermon!

The McD's run(s) might be a possibility, though that might get nixed by a certain someone who seems determined that I'm going to get more nutritious (and lower sodium) feedings than have been my wont.

GreenEyes, you are a great FYC leader!

FYC
Seconded, and call the vote.

You rock.
Yes, he do.

*Big big BIG hugs* Sir Winston!

I am sending prayers, thoughts, crossed fingers, anything and everything your way! :rose:

I nominate DeepGreenEyes as Ambassador to the Fuck You Cancer Movement!
I thought DGE was already the founder and spiritual leader of the Universal and Apostolic Church of FYC... so would he then be the Ambassador *from* FYC? (And please, no LRH analogies! They just don't fit, in any way, shape or form.)

ETA: If I've somehow missed expressing my thanks for anyone's good wishes, please forgive me and consider that appreciation to be here, just not visible due to senility and/or just plain tiredness. :eek:

Last edited:
You rock.

The only rock I know is the one upon which this mighty church of fuckitude is built. Hallelujah!

GreenEyes, you are a great FYC leader!

FYC

Some are simply called by God to start angry threads about diseases. Envy me.

*Big big BIG hugs* Sir Winston!

I am sending prayers, thoughts, crossed fingers, anything and everything your way! :rose:

I nominate DeepGreenEyes as Ambassador to the Fuck You Cancer Movement!

Good vibes for SW, and all FYC warriors.

The McD's run(s) might be a possibility, though that might get nixed by a certain someone who seems determined that I'm going to get more nutritious (and lower sodium) feedings than have been my wont.

I thought DGE was already the founder and spiritual leader of the Universal and Apostolic Church of FYC... so would he then be the Ambassador *from* FYC? (And please, no LRH analogies! They just don't fit, in any way, shape or form.)

ETA: If I've somehow missed expressing my thanks for anyone's good wishes, please forgive me and consider that appreciation to be here, just not visible due to senility and/or just plain tiredness. :eek:

I hope your strength returns, brother.

FYC.

I evangelize unto you the McDonald's Premium Southwest Grilled Salad! Still kinda high in sodium, but if you use half the dressing packet, it kicks ass. A celebrity death match comparison:

SW grilled salad. Half dressing:

11 g fat
340 cal.
33 carbs
820 mg. sodium
28 g. protein

McRib and large fries:

51 g. fat
1000 cal.
96 carbs
1330 mg. sodium
28 g. protein

Free wifi for Lit, regardless.

Just a note~ my sister found that with the nausea a milkshake helped. It didn't alleviate the nausea but it was easier to throw up as didn't irritate the lining of the throat. So she would get a small one either before or after the chemo. I can't remember which, but I can certainly ask if you like.

Perhaps he needs his own special badge? A little notion in his sig that denotes his status? [laughs]

Thank you for the update Sir! Unfortuantely, I have to go ahead and vote no on the McDonalds as well. My thoughts and hugs are with you both!

FYC!

Perhaps he needs his own special badge? A little notion in his sig that denotes his status? [laughs]

I heard he already has a "special" pet badger. Oh, wait... You said BADGE. Never mind.

Hmmm. Or maybe, this cause needs a mascot?

I'm tired of being tired, damnit. It's hard to imagine (yet) how I'm likely to feel soon, when chemo and radiation start, since both are supposed to cause increased tiredness/exhaustion. <sigh>

Mehhhhhh... kwitcherbellyakin, duhmass! This was caught relatively early and small for its type, and you have a better than average chance of kicking its ass. A little extra tiredness is a small price to pay for a win.

I'm tired of being tired, damnit. It's hard to imagine (yet) how I'm likely to feel soon, when chemo and radiation start, since both are supposed to cause increased tiredness/exhaustion. <sigh>

Mehhhhhh... kwitcherbellyakin, duhmass! This was caught relatively early and small for its type, and you have a better than average chance of kicking its ass. A little extra tiredness is a small price to pay for a win.

PS: FYC you rat bastard

Hugs and warm spring swaying hammock thoughts to you. :rose:

Okay. Not sure where to post this, but I figure this is probably the best place.

My sister and I sat down this past week and really put our heads together. (All right, I can't lie. I brow beat her into it. ) She was nice enough to write down a list of tips and thoughts to help those going through chemo. It is not scientific nor do I advocate it in place of medical advice. It is simply the thoughts of a woman who has gone through it twice. Things she found helpful and a kind of 'what to expect' tip sheet.

I won't post the whole thing here. But if anyone is interested in it, I would be more than happy to send it to them.

Love you guys! (yes I am feeling a little mushy right now. :eek:)

FYC!!

Okay. Not sure where to post this, but I figure this is probably the best place.

My sister and I sat down this past week and really put our heads together. (All right, I can't lie. I brow beat her into it. ) She was nice enough to write down a list of tips and thoughts to help those going through chemo. It is not scientific nor do I advocate it in place of medical advice. It is simply the thoughts of a woman who has gone through it twice. Things she found helpful and a kind of 'what to expect' tip sheet.

I won't post the whole thing here. But if anyone is interested in it, I would be more than happy to send it to them.

FYC!!

I don't see what's wrong with posting it here unless you feel it's too personal or long. Hope your sister is doing ok. I never had chemo but I can imagine what it's like after going through a month of radiation. :(

PS FYC you rat bastard

Rest in peace Roger Ebert. Not going to be the same going to the movies without you.

FYC

I don't see what's wrong with posting it here unless you feel it's too personal or long. Hope your sister is doing ok. I never had chemo but I can imagine what it's like after going through a month of radiation. :(

PS FYC you rat bastard

She is doing amazingly well, all things considered. She is in remission which is something that I honestly did not think I would see.

But about the document. It is along the lines of here are things to do and think about when you are starting chemo and I just didn't think it appropriate to post it as people are coming here to vent and find comfort. Not advice or a How-To. You know what I mean? And on top of that it is really long (with the promise of more thoughts as she contemplates the differences between drip and pill chemo).

So I figured simply posting that it is here and available to anyone who thinks it might help them was the proper thing to do.

FYC!!
Showed it to my radiation oncologist yesterday. He chuckled at the title, scanned the first couple of paragraphs and said, "People who have been there know what they're talking about."

She is doing amazingly well, all things considered. She is in remission which is something that I honestly did not think I would see.

But about the document. It is along the lines of here are things to do and think about when you are starting chemo and I just didn't think it appropriate to post it as people are coming here to vent and find comfort. Not advice or a How-To. You know what I mean? And on top of that it is really long (with the promise of more thoughts as she contemplates the differences between drip and pill chemo).

So I figured simply posting that it is here and available to anyone who thinks it might help them was the proper thing to do.

Can you send the doc to me via a pm? This may be something I could share in my FB cancer group I administer, if that's ok with you. If not, that's ok. I would still like to look at it.

Best wishes for your sister, and for you as well.

Showed it to my radiation oncologist yesterday. He chuckled at the title, scanned the first couple of paragraphs and said, "People who have been there know what they're talking about."

[laughs]

I am hoping you found something useful out of it. And yeah thereare just some things you don't think about and she even mentioned stuff that I was guilty of. I used to take her remote all the time. Although I wasn't trying to be nice, I just got sick of watching The Lord of the Rings over and over and over again. :rolleyes:

I hope your appointment went well! :)

Can you send the doc to me via a pm? This may be something I could share in my FB cancer group I administer, if that's ok with you. If not, that's ok. I would still like to look at it.

Best wishes for your sister, and for you as well.

PM sent.

One drug to rule them all: Researchers find treatment that kills every kind of cancer tumor

Researchers might have found the Holy Grail in the war against cancer, a miracle drug that has killed every kind of cancer tumor it has come in contact with.

The drug works by blocking a protein called CD47 that is essentially a "do not eat" signal to the body's immune system, according to Science Magazine.

This protein is produced in healthy blood cells but researchers at Stanford University found that cancer cells produced an inordinate amount of the protein thus tricking the immune system into not destroying the harmful cells.

With this observation in mind, the researchers built an antibody that blocked cancer's CD47 so that the body's immune system attacked the dangerous cells.

So far, researchers have used the antibody in mice with human breast, ovary, colon, bladder, brain, liver and prostate tumors transplanted into them. In each of the cases the antibody forced the mice's immune system to kill the cancer cells.

"We showed that even after the tumor has taken hold, the antibody can either cure the tumor or slow its growth and prevent metastasis," said biologist Irving Weissman of the Stanford University School of Medicine in Palo Alto, California.

One side effect of the treatment was that healthy cells were subjected to short-term attacks by the mice's immune system, but the effect was nothing in comparison to the damage done to the cancer cells.

Weissman's group recently received a $20 million dollar grant to move their research from mouse to human safety testing.​

That's the entire article as published by the NYPost, but it's linked through the headline above anyway.

Believe me, I am delivering copies to my oncologists at my next appointment Tuesday, and I'm definitely going to ask them to consider proposing my participation in the human testing phase. The potential benefits, to my mind, FAR outweigh the potential risks.

One drug to rule them all: Researchers find treatment that kills every kind of cancer tumor

Researchers might have found the Holy Grail in the war against cancer, a miracle drug that has killed every kind of cancer tumor it has come in contact with.

The drug works by blocking a protein called CD47 that is essentially a "do not eat" signal to the body's immune system, according to Science Magazine.

This protein is produced in healthy blood cells but researchers at Stanford University found that cancer cells produced an inordinate amount of the protein thus tricking the immune system into not destroying the harmful cells.

With this observation in mind, the researchers built an antibody that blocked cancer's CD47 so that the body's immune system attacked the dangerous cells.

So far, researchers have used the antibody in mice with human breast, ovary, colon, bladder, brain, liver and prostate tumors transplanted into them. In each of the cases the antibody forced the mice's immune system to kill the cancer cells.

"We showed that even after the tumor has taken hold, the antibody can either cure the tumor or slow its growth and prevent metastasis," said biologist Irving Weissman of the Stanford University School of Medicine in Palo Alto, California.

One side effect of the treatment was that healthy cells were subjected to short-term attacks by the mice's immune system, but the effect was nothing in comparison to the damage done to the cancer cells.

Weissman's group recently received a $20 million dollar grant to move their research from mouse to human safety testing.​

That's the entire article as published by the NYPost, but it's linked through the headline above anyway.

Believe me, I am delivering copies to my oncologists at my next appointment Tuesday, and I'm definitely going to ask them to consider proposing my participation in the human testing phase. The potential benefits, to my mind, FAR outweigh the potential risks.

Holy Jesus.

I hope you can get in. I really, really, really do. *Fingers crossed*

I'm thinking we need to send Stanford a giant FYC banner! :D

Oh my God! I can't believe that this might be a possibility!

Fuck you cancer.

I see what you're doing. I see it in their faces, in their fearful eyes, in the barely-suppressed ways they speak about "normal" things, when I probe for answers.

Fuck you, asshole.

Fuck. You.

Go Stanford.

How did this thread end up all the way down here??

Say it loud, say it proud

FUCK YOU CANCER

If you were a person, I'd put you in stocks and get everyone in the world to punch you.

Then very slowly spit roast you till you're almost dead and feed you to zombies created in a lab just for you.

Sir Winston - How's it all doing?? You'd better be kicking some serious cancer ass. :rose:

Fingers firmly crossed that you are the most perfect test subject in the history of test subjects, that you are accepted on the trial and you get the full dose of this! It sounds amazing!

FUCK YOU CANCER

If you were a person, I'd put you in stocks and get everyone in the world to punch you.

Then very slowly spit roast you till you're almost dead and feed you to zombies created in a lab just for you.

Sir Winston - How's it all doing?? You'd better be kicking some serious cancer ass. :rose:

Cancer is capable of burying threads. It also clearcuts Amazon rainforests and takes political polls four years ahead of elections.

Bastard.

FUCK YOU CANCER

Ditto!

:rose: to SirW

PS FYC

You MONKEY SUCKING, SLUG FUCKING BASTARD!!! I hate you with a passion I never knew I had in me. Leave my family alone already! You've taken the best of us and now you have the nerve to try and come back for more...NO FUCKING WAY!!!

FYC

Last edited:
Back