Outlaws to the End (HotCider & heartofcourage)

The way that the man talked, Elizabeth could practically feel the pain in his voice. She watched him from her spot as he talked about how the world saw him and she felt badly for him. He was misunderstood, a man that was use to the con game, but obviously still had a heart.

He closed his eyes, completely at ease in the rattling, swaying death trap that the train car was. She didn’t know how he could be so relaxed after committing a robbery where violence was threatened. HE could have been killed, maimed, taken into custody…even the very thought of the excitement made her heart beat rapidly against her chest.

“I’m sorry I beat you with my apples.” She said as he mentioned sleep. Sleep…a foreign concept for her in unfamiliar places. It had taken her weeks before she’d been comfortable enough to even sleep through the night in her apartment.

When he spoke, she could almost imagine that he cared something for her. Moments earlier he was screaming at her that she was crazy and now he was talking about getting them a hotel room where she could bathe and have new clothes. Looking back on how she acted, she did suppose that it seemed a little crazy. Life with Stephen had made her that way.

She sighed softly as the quiet stretched between them and she turned her head to watch the passing scenery outside. It was growing colder and she shivered as her clothes stuck to her skin beneath his coat. She’d probably ruined it by now with the mud and water she’d soaked up in the cornfield.

Gathering her heels, she silently made her way across the car and settled in at his side, huddling against his warmth. She met his gaze as his eyes opened and he looked at her with a glance of confusion.

“I’m freezing.” She said, shivering even as the words left her lips and she huddled closer to him.

Ian’s eyes snapped open when he felt someone settle next to him. Unaccustomed to company, the bank robber sat up and stared at Elizabeth as though for a second she may have been an enemy.

I’m freezing.

Ian gazed around the dark train car as he recalled the events of the day. He had briefly forgotten that he had met this woman and that he had boarded a train. Without a word said to her, he stood and removed his pipe from his mouth. He dropped it next to his bag and walked over to the train door. Grasping the handle, he gazed out into the night as the moon played along the fields. The wind had become chilly and he leaned forward, his arm going taut as he used all of his strength to drag the car door shut. With a grunt of exertion, he closed it and walked back over to his sack to resume his seat.

“There; it shouldn’t get any colder,” Ian said.

Once he settled back against his sack, he snaked his arm out to gently snag her damp waist. “Come on over here.”

He guided her over to lie on top of him, the coat acting as a blanket for the both of them. He raised his chin above her head and peered down at her with a friendly smile.

“I don’t think we ever properly introduced ourselves.”

He was reluctant to give his real name. It had been years since anyone had ever heard of Ian “The Devil” Darcy, but he was afraid to find out if his reputation still existed.

Elizabeth thought for a brief moment that she had made him angry as he stood from his spot. She watched as he dropped his pipe next to his bag and walked towards the train door. The pipe lay on its side, clattering with each jostle and jolt that the train took along the tracks. She reached out and picked it up, studying it for a moment before she turned her eyes back towards him.

The moon had risen into the inky blackness of the night and she could see his form outlined for a moment as he reached outside and tugged at the door to the car before it slid shut. The room instantly became warmer without the wind constantly blowing inside.

“Thank you.” She said softly, handing him back his pipe as he settled back against his sack.

A gasp left her lips as she felt his arm snake around her waist, drawing her across his chest like she weighed nothing at all. Dear Lord, he’s strong, she thought as she lay against his chest, her hands resting against the hard muscle of his body as he spread his coat out across their bodies.

Her body was tense, her eyes wide as he positioned her under she was cradled against him and his head was resting against the top of her head. Never in her life had she been in such an intimate setting with a man before and she could feel the blood pounding from her racing heart and settling in her cheeks.

She looked at him, startled, as he smiled at her in a friendly way and talked about introductions. No, she supposed they hadn’t been properly introduced.

“Elizabeth.” She said softly, her blue eyes studying his face intently now that they were so close. “Elizabeth Darrow.”

He wasn’t a dandy like Stephen, his face showing a life of hardship with deep lines etched into his handsome features. He smelled of pipe smoke and something else unnamed. She found that she enjoyed it much more than the cologne that Stephen practically bathed in.

The pipe was the most invaluable thing he owned and yet it was his most cherished item. As the Crazy Broad introduced herself as Elizabeth Darrow, Ian stared into her eyes. She seemed so innocent; although, he knew she hardly was. The girl had whacked him with a bag of apples and nearly got herself killed chasing him. She also had a fiancé yet with how close they currently laid, she seemed tense. He didn’t know if she thought he might hurt her or touch her. Ian kept his hands at his sides and tilted his head back, his neck muscles showing prominently as he rested his head back against the sack. He didn’t want her feeling as though she needed to put her guard up around him. If they were going to be traveling together, then they would need a better relationship than that. He closed his eyes, a soft and relaxed smile on his face.

“I don’t know if I wanna tell you this but…you best not tell nobody. My name ain’t Harry McDaniels. I’ve just been throwin’ that name around to take people’s mind off my old reputation. Now, if you promise not to scream and throw holy water at me, I’ll tell ya,” he said with an amused smirk. “You’re lookin’ at Ian Darcy. Still alive, and ain’t in prison no more.”

For being so fearful of letting his name touch her ears, he couldn’t help but say it proudly. His reputation was shitty but still he was awfully famous.

A lazy smile crossed along his face and Elizabeth couldn’t help but return the expression. He was most definitely charm, but she had to remind herself that he was also a criminal and a thief. It was probably all an act put on to lull her into a sense of peace before he left her out on the side of the road.

His confession wasn’t so much of a shock to her. She figured that his real name wasn’t Harry. He would have been a fool to let his real name become knowledge if he wanted to continue to survive. He also seemed smug about admitting what his real name was. Ian. She liked that name and she found herself giggling softly at the satisfied look upon his face.

“I’m sorry to laugh, but I have no idea who you are.” She said, trying to wipe the smile from her face before she truly offended him.

Perhaps if she read the paper from time to time she would have heard about him. Perhaps if Stephen had bothered to actually have a conversation with her she would have known who he was. Surely her father and her brother, both newspaper editors, had heard of Ian Darcy, but in her world, he was a nobody.

“I assume that wasn’t your first heist, huh?” She asked, her body slowly relaxing over the top of his as they talked. “I mean, I assumed it was because you had to take a hostage and you let some crazy broad beat you with a sack of apples.”

I’m sorry to laugh, but I have no idea who you are.

Ian abruptly raised his head to stare at Elizabeth in shock. “You don’t know who I am? Really?”

He was literally stunned. She didn’t know who he was…a smile slowly curled at his lips and laughter soon leaked from them. He tossed his head back as his body shook with the magnitude of mirth he felt. Tears bubbled at the corners of his eyes filled with joy and relief. The world may have finally forgotten all about Ian “The Devil” Darcy, and he was trying not to cry just thinking about how he may finally be a free man.

“Man…” he breathed with an embarrassed smile. He wiped at his eyes with the back of his hand and said, “Sorry, I was shocked that you didn’t know. I can’t believe it really. I kinda’ feel, uh, not so special anymore I guess.”

At Elizabeth’s heist comment, Ian smirked at her impishly. She thought she was so funny.

“No; that wasn’t my first heist. I’ve robbed bigger banks than that tool shed. Maybe I wouldn’t have had to take a hostage if the Crazy Broad had some self-control. My heists are more graceful than that.” He then held his hand up in a Shakespearean pose as he added, “Like a beautiful work of art.”

Dropping his hand, he closed his eyes and rested his head back again. “But you ain’t goin’ anywhere near my heists. You just sit back and relax and watch a master work. I don’t need Johnny Appleseed as a sidekick.”

It was ease to see that she had shocked him by saying that she didn’t know who he was. She gave him a smile and shook her head as he asked her the one question that she knew would follow her statement.

“Nope. Not a clue.” Elizabeth said, her smile spreading as she watched him laugh in with complete and total freedom. “Don’t know why it should matter much what I know though. I’ve been pretty sheltered in my life.”

When his laughter finally stopped her smiled at her and she felt her stomach do that strange little flip again. He might have been a thief and possibly crazy, but Elizabeth was quickly warming to the freedom and ease that he exuded when he moved and spoke. It was refreshing to not have to watch her words when she spoke to him or to restrain her emotions around another human being.

“A work of art.” She parroted the answer, listening to him describe a heist like it was the greatest thing in the world. Briefly she wondered if he’d ever robbed from a Collingwood bank. That would really make Stephen steam, she thought with a secretly pleased smile.

“Good, cause I don’t want to be anyone’s sidekick.” She said with a finality in her voice. “I’m not tied to anyone anymore and I intend to enjoy it.”

“That’s one less problem I have to deal with,” Ian muttered.

He opened one eye and smiled at her playfully. He had been joking about implying that taking her on a heist would be quite the task. “Let’s sleep. I got to teach you how to jump out of a train tomorrow.”

He closed his eyes and smiled broadly wondering how his sudden news would settle with her.

“Jump out of a train?” Elizabeth asked in a surprise gasp as he smiled broadly at her and closed his eyes. “No, no, no…jumping into a moving train is one thing, but jumping out is suicide!”

He seemed to find her reaction funny and Elizabeth found herself pouting as he grinned and ignored her words. She slapped her palm against his chest before she settled down for sleep in a huff. She relaxed against the warm body beneath her, sighing as her cheek came to rest against his chest.

Tucking one hand under her chin, she let out a deep breath and allowed her eyes to close. Ignoring the sound of the clattering and clanking car, she could hear the warm thud of his heart beneath her ear. The sound made a smile curl her lips and she squirmed against Ian to get more comfortable.

“Huh. You actually do have a heart.” She murmured as she yawned and drifted into the sleep that awaited her.

Indiana

In the middle of the night.

His arms had wrapped around her in the middle of the night, crossing at the small of her back as he comfortably held her in his arms. He couldn’t remember the last time he’s ever been this close to a woman, or well, he couldn’t remember ever being this close to a woman. She felt good. He felt her soft breasts against his chest, thighs snuggly clenching his hips. She had gotten comfortable forgetting that it was a man she was sleeping with or had her trust in him been that great?

Ian’s arms became protectively firm around her. He didn’t know why for he hardly knew the girl, but she brought out a quality in him that he hadn’t seen. He wanted to protect her and get her to California. For some reason bank robbing had become second in his priorities. He didn’t doubt that he would still do it along the way, but he had to get Elizabeth to California. If there was something good that he could do in this world, it was to liberate her from the evils that were chasing her.

Morning.

The container hatch abruptly slid open and a sheet of morning light poured inside with a blast of wind. Outlined in morning glory stood Ian grinning as his shirt rippled in the wind. The train had picked up speed, rolling faster than when they first caught it, and Ian’s adrenaline was pumping for the jump.

“Woowee!” he howled. “Mornin’ Toots, you ready to jump?”

Ian walked away from the door across the container to his bag that she was laying against. He gazed down at her with his hands on his hips and smiling.

“Becuz’ you seemed all scared about jumpin’. Well…” He glanced off to the side and scratched at the back of his head as though he disliked the idea he was going to propose. “I guess we can jump together.”

He then peeked at her teasingly from the corners of his eyes.

The sound of a crash woke Elizabeth from her slumber. Disoriented, she sat bolt upright, the sunlight pouring into the train car blinding her temporarily. Her heart was hammering in her chest as she spotted the outline of Ian standing in the door, looking out over God’s great creation.

For a moment, she had no idea where she was. Strike that, she knew she was on a train, but the circumstances of how she came to be lying on the floor of a box car, wrapped in his overcoat were almost lost on her. Then she remembered…

“Jump?” She squeaked out as he howled in excitement and made her way across he container to her. “There is no way!”

He was crazy. Absolutely, positively, certifiably insane. He also seemed to be enjoying the idea of such a daring escape. He almost looked like a young boy about to do something his mother had forbidden him to do. Her icy blue eyes stared up at him, trying to figure out what had gotten into him. Surely he didn’t mean they were going to jump from the train going this fast.

“Not even with you am I going to jump out of this train car!” Elizabeth crossed her arms over chest, a stubborn tilt of her chin telling him that she meant business.

Still...there was something about the idea that did make her heart beat just a little faster in excitement....

Ian grinned and slid one arm beneath her legs and the other behind her back. With one strong yank, he reared back and hefted her into his arms with a jubilant smile.

“’Course ya are,” he replied.

He spread his legs to give himself some balance as he reached down with the arm he had at her back to grab his bag. Returning his arm to her back, he walked over to the train door and stood dangerously on the edge just to frighten her. Ian smiled at her the entire time even through her inevitable panic.

“Don’t flail too much, I might fall,” he teasingly warned. “We’re goin’ where this bag’s goin’, so as soon as I throw it, you best be ready.”

“1,” he started to count down.

He loosened his arm beneath her legs to carefully lower her feet to the floor. With his right arm looped about her waist, he passed his bag into his left hand and gazed down at the grassy slope.

“2.”

His adrenaline had his heart racing and eyes widening in his excitement. Here it comes!

“3!”

He tossed the bag down the slope and yanked Elizabeth along with him as he jumped from the train car. They plunged through the air, descending the side of the slope until Ian’s feet connected with the grass. His legs then buckled beneath him in a safe fall and he pulled Elizabeth into a protective embrace as they went rolling down the hill. Their tumble stopped in a ditch where a strip of grass thrived thickest on the rich soils. Lying beneath Elizabeth, he released her and checked her over to see if she was all right. Afterwards, he dropped his head back and smiled up at her.

“Hi.”

Elizabeth let out an indignant shriek as he yanked her from the floor. Her arms immediately looped around his neck as he cradled her in his arms like a newborn babe. A short dip back towards the ground and his bag of loot was in his hand as he carried her towards the open train door.

“Let me down!” She cried out as he held her out over the edge, the wind whipping her hair back into her face. “Ian!”

A death grip on his neck was all she could do as he smiled down at her with a cocky grin. Her eyes were wide, her breath coming in panicked gasps as he started to count down. She shook her head, her very voice leaving her as she let her legs down to touch the floor.

Kick him between the legs, she thought to herself. What good would that do? He was libel to shove her out the door and let her fend for herself. His right arm looped around her waist tightly, his gaze turning from her to an unknown spot outside.

As he continued counting, she noticed the wild look in his eyes. He was enjoying this! How was that even possible? They were two steps away from certain death and he was having the time of his life. She managed a peek over her shoulder at the ground wizzing past and she turned back to look at his chest immediately.

The number three sounded so loud in her ears and she distantly heard a scream as he launched them both from the train. Who was screaming? Oh, it was her. The ground came up to meet them with dizzying quickness and she closed her eyes tightly, her face burrowed against his chest.

The moment they hit the ground, she let out a yelp and held her breath as they tumbled down a short slope and into a ditch of thick grass. Her heart was racing so fast that she swore it would pound from her chest…and still he smiled at her. She looked over her shoulder to see the train heading off into the distance, the rattle on the tracks getting softer as time wore on.

Turning back to the man that was currently beneath her, she couldn’t help the short bark of laughter nor the smile that spread across her face.

“You are one crazy son of a bitch.” She said as he grinned at her. Vulgarity had always been frowned upon in her household, but there in the ditch with Ian it felt like the right thing to say.

The bank robber’s face glowed with laughter at Elizabeth’s comment. He laid in the soft grass, shaking in his laughter.

“You should have seen your face when we jumped. I’ll remember it forever.”

He hushed his laughter behind a large grin and abruptly he sat up to stare into her eyes. His cocky smile was back on his face as he told her smoothly, “I am crazy.”

He then playfully pushed her over into the grass and rose to his feet. “You best get used to that real quick.”

He winked at her and with a hand in his pocket, he swaggered over to where his sack had landed.

His laughter was infectious and Elizabeth couldn’t help the giggle that left her own throat as he talked about the expression on her face when they jumped. Rolling her eyes as he sat up and announced that he was crazy in his own special way, she realized that she had a growing respect for the man that had punched her in the face just the day before.

He wasn’t pompous or self absorbed. He didn’t care about her looks or tell her that she was too skinny. He was playful and attentive. It was all strange, she thought as he pushed into the grass and rolled to his feet. He swaggered as he walked, a man that knew exactly what he wanted and how to get it.

“Well, since I’m a crazy broad, I suppose it’s poetic justice that I end up with the crazy bank robber.” She said as she pulled herself to her feet, brushing off the overcoat that he’d given her the night before.

Moving towards him, she looped her arm through his and looked up at his handsome features with a smile. “Come on. Let’s find the nearest town and I’ll let you buy me breakfast. I think I could eat a horse.”

“I don’t know whether to be frightened or amazed,” Ian replied.

He curled his arm, bicep flexing against her warm palm as he led her over to his coat that she had shrugged off. He stored it inside his sack before he led her across the rich, waving fields. If there was one thing Ian Darcy wasn’t, it was wasteful. Almost everything he stole suited a purpose, and if he couldn’t use it he would most certainly get money off of it.

The sun bathed them in warmth, liberating them from the frigid air that had settled that night. The breeze whispered and rolled past them on bicycle wheels. It sounded like sweet poetry and at that moment, he felt at peace. Ian glanced to the girl about his arm. He might have called her a Southern belle if he didn’t find her in Chicago. No matter, she was precious and he couldn’t imagine the blockhead that would give her up so easily. She was a jewel. As his eyes traced pleasantly over her features, his brows rose as the black bruise beneath her eye reminded him of his crime.

“We’ll hafta getta room somewhere. If I’m seen with you like this in a diner, everybody would be out to give me a lickin’. Once we’re ina’ room, I’ll get room service to bring us some breakfast, you can take a bath and no worries I’ll be gone. I gotta pawn this stuff and I’ll see if I can find you a dress or somethin’. How’s that sound?”

He had a feeling that she would want to relax for awhile after their thrilling journey. His arm uncurled to reach behind her back. He grasped her thin waist and drew her against his side as they walked.

The Apartment.

The red convertible shined outside in contrast to the drab apartment Stephen had bought for Elizabeth in the ghetto. Removing its keys, he opened the door and removed his town hat to gaze into a dark living space that practically foreshadowed her absence. It was quiet and Stephen stepped in, closing the door behind him as he assumed Elizabeth was in her bed sleeping. He did his usual check, looking to see if the apartment had changed any. The fridge was still bare.

“Elizabeth?” Stephen called ominously now perturbed that she still hadn’t spent the dollar he had given her or had she? Receiving no response, he slammed the fridge door closed and strode down the tiny hallway. Grasping the doorknob to her little room, he forced it open—the damn thing always jammed—only to be greeted by an empty bed. His upper lip curled in his growing anger.

“Elizabeth!” he shouted. “You better be in this house. You don’t want me to find you. Elizabeth!”

Still no response. Slamming his fist against the wall, he punched a hole through the plaster and tore some skin on his knuckles. That’s where all those dollars went. She had left town, but it didn’t look like she had taken much. The clothes he had bought her were still there. It was almost like she vanished, taking their engagement ring with her. She probably had every intention to sell it. The trollop!

“God damn it!” Stephen roared.

His face was red and his chest heaved with the anger that seized him. Blinded by his rage, he stood there huffing and puffing, confused as to what to do. She could have left town last night. Bus, train, she only had two options; the other was to consult her acquaintances since he hadn’t allowed her to have too many friends. He didn’t have time for this now, but he would later.

“Elizabeth, you better run far for when I get my hands on you, you won’t be able to run from me again,” he growled.

Stephen strode for the door and kicked over a wobbly chair on the way. The chair had collapsed right in his path, and the gentleman had walked right into it, his legs getting tangled and causing him to trip and stagger stupidly. Out of revenge, he whirled on the chair, picked it up, and flung it across the room. It crashed against the wall, leaving another impression in the plaster before it fell to pieces like a Hollywood prop. It had to be cheaper than the apartment.

Slamming the door behind him, he fought with the keys to lock it, his hands too busy shaking in his fury to get it done in one go. Finally getting it locked, he descended the steps and rounded his car to plop into the driver’s seat. Just yesterday he had been whistling as though the sun had smiled his way, but today…he wasn’t singing today.

Elizabeth glanced up towards Ian as he talked about finding a room somewhere. She gave him a little grin, knowing that her black eye must had sent him reeling. He might not have been above hitting a woman when the situation presented itself, but at least he had a conscience. Still, she couldn’t resist jabbing at him just a little bit.

“Make it a yellow dress and you might have a deal.” She said, her grin turning into a smile as she felt his arm release hers and curl around her back to pull her close to his side. “Maybe some bacon and eggs. Anything less and I’m showing the world your handy work.”

Their walk to the nearest town was in relative silence. Ian certainly knew what he was doing as he guided her along the back roads and alleyways until they came upon a nice little motel. She waited outside the manager’s office as he went to get them a room, the bag of loot held securely in her hands.

Glancing up the street, she thought about how quiet it was here. It was so unlike Chicago with its constant bustle and activity. She’d only been to the country a few times with Stephen as he made quick trips to his family home. She’d always enjoyed it and wanted to stay longer, but he would be quick to dash her back to the city, secured away in her little hovel.

She wondered if he had been to her apartment yet that day. Boy, he was going to be angry when he found her gone. Would he bother to find out the truth or would he just assumed that she’d left? Either way, she was in for a world of trouble. The very thought has her shivering as Ian exited the office with a key in hand.

“My hero.” She said, smiling as she pushed the sack of loot back into his hands and took the key without another word.

The little room they were in was tiny by standards, but clean and inviting. The twin bed was made up with a sturdy blanket, one meant for use and not for looks. Beside the bed were two side tables and a dresser dominated one wall. Distantly she heard the sound of a radio playing and knew that someone nearby must have been enjoying it.

“Before you go, do you think you can send a telegram to my brother? Just to let him know I’m alright?” She asked, looking at Ian as he closed the door behind them. “You can send it to my father’s newspaper. The Darrow Free Press in South Chicago. His name is Junior. Just sign it Lizzy and he’ll know.”

It would be a risk, she knew, but she at least wanted him to know that she was alright. He was her best friend, the one that always looked out for her. If anything, he would see it as a sign to protect her from Stephen’s wrath when and if it happened.

“Remember…bacon and eggs.” She said, giving Ian a look that meant business as she turned towards the tiny bathroom and the clean tub and towels. It was going to be heaven to get the muck and grime off her body and Elizabeth smiled to herself, very pleased with how her luck had turned out.

Maybe some bacon and eggs. Anything less and I’m showing the world your handy work.

Ian gave Elizabeth a side glance and his brow arched at her dirty threats.

“Ain’t you sleazy?” Ian said with an amused smirk. It had been brief for right after his guilty pains returned. He made a face similar to a man with a stomach ache as he thought about it. The belle was evil and he knew she had done it on purpose. Turning his head over his opposite shoulder, he muttered quietly, but loud enough for her to hear him, “Crazy Broad.”

Motel Alley.

Everything was so far going as planned. Ian was able to check in at the motel without any suspicion and as soon as he returned to Elizabeth with the key, his loot bag was shoved at him and the key snatched from his fingers. Grasping his bag, Ian followed her over to their room and entered behind her. Before he even had a chance to sit in the felt seat that was calling his name, the crazy broad had dumped a task on him.

As she explained, he scowled in thought, absorbing the details of the request and then he mentally organized it into a list.

“Got it,” he replied and turned toward the door.

Remember…bacon and eggs.

“Spam and toast; got it,” the bank robber jested and smiled playfully over his shoulder. He stepped out of the motel and sighed in exasperation. Staring down at the bag, he for a moment thought it more a burden than treasure.

Ian had been gone for an hour, hitting the local pawnshop and then a store where he saw some gowns draped across mannequins in the window. He had sold everything but the hairs of his disguise, his pipe, and Elizabeth’s engagement ring. The ring had been more than what the clerk tried to offer, and he was convinced that he would make a pretty penny in Indianapolis. It was only a shame that he couldn’t have sold it while he was still in Chicago.

While Ian was gone, room service had knocked on the door and left a tray outside the door. There was bacon, eggs, toast, butter, jelly, and tea. It hadn’t been the dream breakfast since they were in a small town, but there was enough on the platter for two. Ian arrived holding a yellow sundress aloft to his left and his sack filled with dollars to his right. It wasn’t bulging but the bottom of the bag was mildly plump. He peered down at the tray and passed his bag into his hand which held the dress before he bent down to pick it up. Knocking on the door with the toe of his shoe, the bank robber sighed in exhaustion. After haggling with the pawn shop owner and getting womanly stares as he shopped for a dress in the woman’s store, he felt more tired than hungry.

The moment the water was as hot as she could stand, Elizabeth sank beneath the surface with a relaxing sigh. The water rose over her naked body, skimming her chin as she relaxed back against the porcelain tub. This was pure heaven, she decided as her fingers gently skimming through the water.

A deep sigh left her lips as she thought about the turn of events that had led her to that tub. Ian was a mystery, but overall he had treated her kindly. Well, besides socking her in the eye when she tried to stop his getaway car. She smiled at the thought now, but at the time it had seemed less than humorous.

Sliding down beneath the surface of the water, she let the dirt and grime from her hair rinse free. Breaking the surface, she took in a deep gasping breath and settled back into her spot. Eyes closing, she listened to the silence and peacefully drifted off to sleep.

BANG-BANG-BANG!

Elizabeth jerked awake, the water cooling around her as she looked around to see the source of the noise. She frowned, looking down at her pruned hands as she heard the banging again. The door!

She jerked herself from the water, a towel in her hand as she made her way out of the bathroom and towards the room entrance. Pausing to put the towel around her body, she was still dripping wet as she unlocked the door and peeked outside.

Ian stood there, a dress in one hand and the food in the other. She gave him a sight smile, laughing as she noticed that the dress was indeed a yellow one. Stepping aside so that he could enter, she shut the door and relocked it.

“My hero.” She said with a laugh, her hand fisted above her breasts to keep the towel in place.

When the door to the motel room opened, Ian’s tired eyes rose to meet Elizabeth’s blue eyes peeking at him from behind the door. Too exhausted to say anything, a single brow hiked up his forehead when he heard her giggles. He didn’t know what was so funny, but when she stepped aside, he entered within to drop his bag upon the bed. Ian then faced Elizabeth to present to her the yellow dress he had gotten her, but he hadn’t gotten any farther than that. He was captivated by the wet blonde before him. Suddenly, he didn’t feel so tired anymore. His skin crawled with arousal; it felt like static dancing across his every pore and causing his heart to race. His eyes became more alert and his brows slightly lifted. His lips that were parted for speech purposes were agape in his awe. He observed the water drops that collected on the swells of her breasts, her drenched strands of hair that curled and twisted about her creamy shoulders, framing her beauty, and the cleanly glow that radiated off of her. Ian hadn’t realized he was staring until roughly a minute had passed, which he wanted to believe had been shorter. Like a zombie, the stunned robber stretched out his arm and offered the sun dress to her. It seemed to be the only motion his brain managed to accomplish in his condition.

There was a breathless moment as Elizabeth realized just how intently Ian was staring at her in the gloomy little motel room. She glanced down and realized just how indecent she was and she felt her cheeks heat in a blush. Still, she knew that she should excuse herself back to the bathroom to dress, but something made her stay right where she was.

Let him look his fill, she thought to herself, another blush staining her cheeks as his eyes finally rose to find her eyes. She gave him a small smile as he extended his arm and offered her the sun dress.

“Wow.” She said, taking the yellow dress and looking it over. It was lovely, she thought. “You actually got me a yellow dress. Stephen never listened to what I wanted.”

She paused a long moment and looked back at Ian. “My fiancée. Well, I guess he isn’t my fiancée any longer.”

“Thank you.” Were the two simple words that burst forth and she turned to exit to the bathroom. “Oh, go ahead and eat. I’ll only be a minute. And save some for me!”

Ian wasn’t even processing the words that flowed from her sweet lips. After she took the dress from his hand, he tore his eyes from her, letting them wander down to the floor. What kind of a fiancé did she have? What was so wrong with Elizabeth Darrow that she was given up so easily and driven away from her home? They had just started to get to know each other and already he knew that he loved her but that hadn’t been their relationship. He was a bank robber and she was a sheltered woman, out on her own, and putting her trust in a stranger. If he had given in to his carnal desires, she might have been frightened and she may have felt betrayed.

Oh, go ahead and eat. I’ll only be a minute. And save some for me!

“There won’t be anythin’ left,” Ian replied in his usual joking manner.

He woke from his thoughtful coma and set his eyes on the tray of breakfast, skimming over the small spread before he turned and flopped upon the bed. He scooted up to the headboard and rolled onto his side, resting his head upon a comfy pillow and closing his eyes. He wanted to sleep and take his mind off seeing Elizabeth half-naked. He was nothing but her transporter, and he needed to focus on maintaining that relationship with her.

Ian was only resting and it didn’t take long for his mind to be writing up plans for the evening. They were going to be traveling during the night. He was planning to have them shop for better clothes in Indianapolis and catch a train from Indianapolis to St. Louis, and then from St. Louis to Wichita. If he would need to hit a bank in between, he would know when they ran out of money. For now, a low profile was best after making the Chicago news. He was certain he did.

Holding the yellow dress at arm’s length, Elizabeth looked over the cheer fabric with a strange sensation rising in her chest. Ian had actually listened to what she had to say. Even more than that, he seemed to care about what she had to say. A soft sigh puffed from her lips as she brought the dress to her chest and she held it tightly, looking towards the closed door with a smile on her face.

Dropping the towel to the floor, she retrieved her undergarments and quickly pulled them on. Pushing her soiled clothing to the side with her foot, she pulled the dress on over her head, admiring the way that it fit her body for a long moment. It seemed that Ian had also paid attention to her body and the very thought made her blush.

Looking in the mirror above the sink, she took time to brush out her hair with her fingers, braiding the thick locks into a plait that hung over her shoulder like a coil of rope. The reflection of the woman that stared back was completely unlike the polished and prim girl that had left Chicago just a day before. She liked herself better this way, she thought as she turned to leave the bathroom.

Walking into the room, her bare feet barely made a sound as she made her way to the breakfast that had been sent for them. Her mouth watered at the sight of the spread and she ate with joy, her belly soon full with enough left over for Ian should he want it.

Her eyes traveled to Ian as he lay on the bed, his eyes closed and body relaxed. He looked so at ease that it was effortless. She wondered how his life had gone so wrong that he needed to rob banks for a living. Still, she couldn’t think of him as a bad man. He’d taken better care of her then Stephen, the man that she was suppose to love, ever did.

Standing, she made her way to the bed and leaned over his face, pressing her lips to his cheek and smiling down at him as his eyes slowly opened. “I just wanted to thank you again for the dress.”

Ian stared up at the blonde and almost didn’t recognize her. The dress had complimented her hair just as he imagined it would and she had woven her sunny locks into a braid. Rolling onto his back so that he could get a better look at her, Ian’s grey eyes rolled up and down her body appreciatively. Puckering his lips, he released a teasing whistle and complimented, “Is this really the Crazy Broad I saw a moment ago? You’re like a gold piece havin’ fallen in mud. Jus’ needed to clean you off to have you glowin’ again.”

With a lazy groan, Ian sat up and turned to face her, his legs spread wide and comfortable. He posted his hands behind him and lifted one to run a hand back through his brown hair lethargically. “I was taking a light nap. We’re gonna be travelin’ in the night. I was hopin’ to reach Indianapolis by mornin’ and then we’ll buy some more clothes there. We got enough money to last us for awhile. We can stay some place better than this chicken coop. Feel free to relax, Sunshine.”

It was his new nickname for her since she seemed to glow like it. Tearing his eyes from her, he needed to take his mind off her for awhile. The longer he stared the more his mind was assaulted with her standing naked in a towel like a wet Aphrodite. It gave him anxious pains down south, and he was glad he hadn’t sprung wood yet. He reached into his pocket and removed his pipe.

“I think I may go smoke a bit. You left me scraps didn’t you?” he asked jokingly. He always loved teasing her.

“Sunshine, huh?” She asked, placing her hands on her hips as she stared down at him. “I guess it’s better than Crazy Broad. You could just call me Lizzy like any civilized person would.”

Ian was the kind of guy that always looked a bit tousled and looked damn fine at the same time. Elizabeth watched as he pushed his hand through his hair and continued to stare at her for a long moment, his eyes trailing over her body as he described to her their plans over the next day.

When he finally tore his eyes away from her, she couldn’t help but smile. It was a triumphant feeling to know that he saw her as an object of affection and not a trophy to be placed away in a pretty little cage. She raised her eyebrows at the mention of new clothes and a better hotel, a slow grin spreading across her features.

“I hope you don’t think I expect more clothes just because I’m a woman. Cause there’s one thing I’ll have you know and that’s I don’t give a damn what I’m wearing.” She said, laughing softly as he pulled out his pipe. “Those fancy threads I was wearing yesterday, that you ruined I might add, were from a former life. Elizabeth Darrow is a new woman.”

She waved him off as he mentioned going for a smoke. “Go ahead. Although I don’t promise the food will still be here when you get back.” She joked right back, a smile on her face as she took a seat on the bed in the spot that he’d just vacated.

Back