In State of the Union, Obama to return to jobs and the economy

The conservative radio shows are saying they expect the main focus to be on the radical social issue agenda He emphasized in the Inauguration. They predict He will spend most of the time promoting amnesty and the homosexual stuff, as well as the global warming hoax. Maybe it will just be a really long speech and cover all these topics. Snore.

I remember Reagan's State of the Union speeches. Tip O'Neil would always pretend to fall asleep sitting behind him. I guess bozo Democrats are nothing new.

He'll have to get elected before he can bore them with common sense. Imagine the reception Ronaldo Magnus would have gotten while lecturing the Politburo.

True
Did you see the look on Obama while he was being schooled :D

Nobody said it wasn't a good revenue scheme, but it is a big fucking hoax.:rolleyes:

That bullshit again? No, it's not a very good revenue scheme.

The Great Global Warming Conspiracy Theory refers to the questionable ideas bandied about by global warming denialists that global warming either isn't happening or is being over-hyped by a group of people who feel that they have some advantage to gain by promoting the evidence for global warming.

Besides the general nonsensical nature of many of these theories, they generally fail to answer how the conspiracy reaches back to John Tyndall's discovery of the greenhouse effect in 1859 (perhaps Al Gore invented a time machine after he was done with the Internet).[3]

<snip>

It's because scientists are denied funding

It's all a hoax invented by all the world's climate scientists to get funding.[10] The "evil" scientists have managed to fool the UN, the European Union, and the entire world.[11] This angle is also rather ironic considering that a sinecure at a denialist think tank can easily pay better than an actual post as a climatology professor.

After 4 years of dithering, Barack Hussein Obama decides to focus on jobs and the economy. BRILLIANT!!!

You're tripping on your own narrative, hypocrite.

- When Obama passed the stimulus conservatives said he was doing too much on the economy.

- When Obama tried to pass three jobs bills conservatives said he was doing too much on the economy.

- When Obama wanted the payroll tax holiday conservatives said he was doing too much on the economy and then complained about it expiring.

You're either a hypocrite or you have amnesia. Which is it?

He should be proud on the jobs front.

First off, for minimum wage workers, he has officially shortened their work week to 30 hours or less, which means that a working family can now afford, time-wise, to hold down four jobs at once and still have time to attend parent teachers meetings to discuss their children's new philosophy on life...

... the Cult of Obama. They might even have time between jobs to get to the school concert and listen to the songs of praise for their liberator.

The conservative radio shows are saying they expect the main focus to be on the radical social issue agenda He emphasized in the Inauguration. They predict He will spend most of the time promoting amnesty and the homosexual stuff, as well as the global warming hoax. Maybe it will just be a really long speech and cover all these topics. Snore.

Did they get that from Dick Morris?

He should be proud on the jobs front.

First off, for minimum wage workers, he has officially shortened their work week to 30 hours or less, which means that a working family can now afford, time-wise, to hold down four jobs at once and still have time to attend parent teachers meetings to discuss their children's new philosophy on life...

... the Cult of Obama. They might even have time between jobs to get to the school concert and listen to the songs of praise for their liberator.

Yet BLS data shows that the number of people working part time for economic reasons is only 5 million and has decreased by -300,000 over the past year.

Do you have any facts to back up your comment or is this just more of your lying RW narrative?

What Marco Rubio Should Say in His State of the Union Response
Ira Stoll, Reason.com
Feb. 11, 2013

Senator Marco Rubio of Florida is scheduled to give the Republican response to President Obama’s state of the Union address Tuesday night. Here’s one approach he may want to consider for his speech:

My fellow Americans, Good evening.

You just heard President Obama outline his views of the challenges facing our country, and of some possible solutions. Often in our democratic system, the two parties disagree both about goals and about the means of achieving those goals, and the president can express frustration at Congress for obstructing those goals.

But our nation’s challenges are too great to allow partisan divisions to prevent us from working together to solve our nation’s problems. That is why, first thing tomorrow, I will introduce legislation in the Senate called the Barack Obama Campaign Promise Implementation Act of 2013. Also tomorrow morning, similar legislation will be introduced in the House by my fellow Republicans.

The legislation has a variety of provisions, but they have one thing in common — they’ve all been endorsed already by President Obama.

The first provision would lower the corporate tax rate to 28 percent from 35 percent. “Obama proposes lowering corporate tax rate to 28 percent,” was the headline The Washington Post put on this story a year ago when Mr. Obama first proposed it.

You know what, Mr. President, it’s a fine idea. Lower corporate tax rates mean businesses have more money left over to hire new employees and pay them more, pay dividends to shareholders, or lower prices for customers. We think the managers of the business can spend that money more wisely than we politicians in Washington can. So let’s move ahead with this proposal. If it were up to us Republicans alone, we’d cut the tax rate even more, but we realize that Mr. Obama was re-elected. He’s the president, and we want to work with him.

The second provision relates to energy. In the second presidential debate, Mr. Obama said, “yes, we still continue to open up new areas for drilling. We continue to make it a priority for us to go after natural gas. We've got potentially 600,000 jobs and 100 years worth of energy right beneath our feet with natural gas….I'm all for pipelines. I'm all for oil production.” The Barack Obama Campaign Promise Implementation Act would write into law that presidential campaign promise of opening up new areas for drilling, because we agree with President Obama that more drilling means more jobs.

The third provision relates to immigration. In May 2011, President Obama gave a speech on immigration that mentioned how the current laws encourage foreign students who receive science or engineering degrees at American universities to return home instead of to stay in America and start or help build businesses. He also spoke about this in his 2011 State of the Union speech. Republicans agree that this part of the immigration law should be changed to promote economic growth and technological innovation, and it is part of the bill we’ll be introducing tomorrow.

The fourth provision of the Barack Obama Campaign Promise Implementation Act relates to Iran’s ambition to obtain nuclear weapons. In a press conference last year, President Obama said, “we will not countenance Iran getting a nuclear weapon. My policy is not containment; my policy is to prevent them from getting a nuclear weapon—because if they get a nuclear weapon that could trigger an arms race in the region, it would undermine our non-proliferation goals, it could potentially fall into the hands of terrorists.” Our Campaign Promise Implementation Act would wrote that policy into American law and authorize the “military effort” that the president has said is an option if necessary to prevent an Iranian bomb.

The fifth provision of the Barack Obama Campaign Promise Implementation Act is to make any tax increases on individuals optional. When Mr. Obama campaigned, he spoke of “asking the wealthiest Americans to pay a little bit more.” He used the language of “asking,” not forcing, or telling, or threatening with jail if the taxpayer responds to the “ask” with a “no, thanks.” If individual Americans like Warren Buffett or President Obama want to pay more in taxes, we Republicans welcome the voluntary contributions. But if President Obama wants to be true to his campaign promises, these additional contributions—including those from non-wealthy Americans via the payroll tax increase—need to be a voluntary response to an “ask,” not a mandatory tax increase.

Make no mistake about it; there are plenty of areas where I and my fellow Republicans disagree with President Obama and the Democrats. But let’s not let those areas of disagreement delay us from taking swift action on the important areas where there is agreement. We Republicans are prepared to move forward quickly. We want to place the emphasis on cooperation, not obstruction. We invite the president and the members of his party to join us. By doing so, the president will get a chance to demonstrate that his campaign promises were genuine, and that the promises were not merely campaign season posturing aimed at pandering to voters and designed to be abandoned immediately after the election in the face of pressure from liberal interest groups. In fact, I look forward to appearing at the White House with President Obama by the end of the month as he signs the Barack Obama Campaign Promise Implementation Act into law.

Good night, and God bless America.

The Constitution Party should have a rebuttal speech to both the Democrats and Republicans. The Constitution Party is the future of effective opposition to the establishment.

Looks like the black folks are getting a bit teed off at Obama pushing illegal alien rights instead of theirs:

Working people are the ones being harmed by immigration. Black Americans make up a lot of the working class, along with native born Hispanic Americans, are disproportionately harmed by the influx of cheap labor.

In the past, blacks were a prominent part of the immmigration reduction movement. Barbara Jordan, the black Congresswoman, was a leader in the immigration reduction movement in the 80s and 90s. Pat Buchanan's running mate in 2000, Ezola Foster, was an immigration reduction activist.

Working people are the ones being harmed by immigration. Black Americans make up a lot of the working class, along with native born Hispanic Americans, are disproportionately harmed by the influx of cheap labor.

In the past, blacks were a prominent part of the immmigration reduction movement. Barbara Jordan, the black Congresswoman, was a leader in the immigration reduction movement in the 80s and 90s. Pat Buchanan's running mate in 2000, Ezola Foster, was an immigration reduction activist.

And if the immigrants weren't already here doing the cheap labor you might have a point.

Looks like the black folks are getting a bit teed off at Obama pushing illegal alien rights instead of theirs:

Many African-Americans concerned about Obama’s focus on immigrant rights

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/02/11/182697/many-african-americans-concerned.html#storylink=cpy

You've been saying for years that black support for Obama is fading. The 2012 election affirmed that everything you've been saying was wrong but for some reason you're still saying it.

I'll be interested in hearing what his plan is. And in particular how that plan meshes with his immigration proposals.

Quite frankly I don't think that Obama, or most of the politicians in DC, have a clue as to what's happening with the economy. They see people, and more particularly jobs, as the cure for the current fiscal crisis. They are not human beings per se', but tax payers. They are trapped in a paradigm that no longer exists. These 'taxpayers' that they see are more figments of their fertile imagination than anything remotely approaching reality.

We are well into the age of automation. Both manufacturing and farm labor are no longer needed in anywhere near the numbers that were needed even 10 years ago. These jobs are going to be performed by robots and other mechanized means today and into the future. Highly skilled workers will be employed to service the machines, but much fewer of them. To a lesser extent the construction and food processing industries are following in the same direction. The reason for this is very simple, in order for the US, and all western nations by extension, to compete with the cheap labor markets like China, as much labor content as possible must be driven out of the cost of the products. The electronics industry showed the way to the future that is unfolding before us.

What exactly is it that these hordes of unskilled/semi-skilled workers are going to be doing? The only thing we can say with any degree of certainty is that they WON'T be working and they WON'T be paying taxes. That alone places them in the position of being a net drain on the economy.

It is with some irony that I observe that the Chinese 'one child' policy may put them in a superior position to deal with the age of automation than any of the other nations on the face of the earth.

Ishmael

I'll be interested in hearing what his plan is. And in particular how that plan meshes with his immigration proposals.

Quite frankly I don't think that Obama, or most of the politicians in DC, have a clue as to what's happening with the economy. They see people, and more particularly jobs, as the cure for the current fiscal crisis. They are not human beings per se', but tax payers. They are trapped in a paradigm that no longer exists. These 'taxpayers' that they see are more figments of their fertile imagination than anything remotely approaching reality.

We are well into the age of automation. Both manufacturing and farm labor are no longer needed in anywhere near the numbers that were needed even 10 years ago. These jobs are going to be performed by robots and other mechanized means today and into the future. Highly skilled workers will be employed to service the machines, but much fewer of them. To a lesser extent the construction and food processing industries are following in the same direction. The reason for this is very simple, in order for the US, and all western nations by extension, to compete with the cheap labor markets like China, as much labor content as possible must be driven out of the cost of the products. The electronics industry showed the way to the future that is unfolding before us.

What exactly is it that these hordes of unskilled/semi-skilled workers are going to be doing? The only thing we can say with any degree of certainty is that they WON'T be working and they WON'T be paying taxes. That alone places them in the position of being a net drain on the economy.

It is with some irony that I observe that the Chinese 'one child' policy may put them in a superior position to deal with the age of automation than any of the other nations on the face of the earth.

Ishmael

I largely agree with this, however it leads me to be even more baffled by those who question the usefulness of getting as many people college educated as we feasibly can. College-level jobs are difficult or impossible to automate and lead to both work and paying taxes. And I think this is what Obama is getting at. "Hey fellow Americans, we're REALLY going to need smart, skilled people going forward with as much education as possible so here's my plan".

Republicans will oppose him every step of the way.

Back